Dynadot

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
there is no 6 month notice period for the registrant, they need to inform the registrar only. It's up to the registrar to tell you. ICANN does not require the registrar to tell you. Shows how much ICANN cares about registrants.

You don't own the domain, you lease it from the registry and per ICANN terms there are virtually no protections of registrants in place. That's why they have taken domains back, even after many months with some lame excuse.

How would you call this?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ooo-registry-cancels-domains-9-months-after-registration.868596/

What if a TLD is simply not profitable? Will it be kept alive forever?
Thank you for the article about cancellation of domains after 9 months, this one is new for me.

I mean, I can imagine when mistakes are made, but they are (or should be) usually found in few days, maybe weeks after registration..but 9 months? What to say..if this is true, this would be very bad end user experience :(

•••
Actually there is a well defined process how ownership of certain new gTLD will be changed, in case that current registry will not be able to sustain it any longer..everybody can read it here. Rights to operate such new gTLD would just pass from one registry to another registry.
And if nobody wants to salvage a bad string ? Icann have the answer:
If there are no proposals received during the RFP process, or there are no qualified
applicants, due to lack of appropriate support or inability to pass the evaluation, the TLD
sunset process
will be invoked in order to close the gTLD.

Once again, there is absolutely no way that some new gTLDs will just stop functioning, or will be out of existence and end users who built their sites on it would be just left like that. That would endanger stability of internet as such, which would be in direct conflict with ICANN's mission. I understand it might not be an easy reading, but anybody who will read it in full, will be much more informed.
Icann have been messing with the DNS, they are the greatest threat to the stability of the DNS. If they were serious and honest, they would release TLDs one by one after careful evaluation vs the wild west we have today. Instead they laid the groundwork for chaos and registrants will pay the price. They don't care if a string is not viable or redundant, as long as they get paid to entertain their lavish lifestyle. They are safe on .org anyway.

•••
Thank you for the article about cancellation of domains after 9 months, this one is new for me.

I mean, I can imagine when mistakes are made, but they are (or should be) usually found in few days, maybe weeks after registration..but 9 months? What to say..if this is true, this would be very bad end user experience :(
No kidding!

•••
Ok ok ok, since little people in the domain industry has zero controls of these no expiration date method used for the domain industry. Maybe if the domain investor will stop buying expensive premuim names fees, it might shift ICANN rules and registries current method used for domain policy and procedures?

•••
And if nobody wants to salvage a bad string ? Icann have the answer:

Icann have been messing with the DNS, they are the greatest threat to the stability of the DNS. If they were serious and honest, they would release TLDs one by one after careful evaluation vs the wild west we have today. Instead they laid the groundwork for chaos and registrants will pay the price. They don't care if a string is not viable or redundant, as long as they get paid to entertain their lavish lifestyle. They are safe on .org anyway.
Yes, the TLD sunset process is mentioned in the document but only in case there would be no proposals/no qualified applicants for particular TLD. Everything can happen of course, but most likely that big registries would simply overtake such TLD with pleasure from poor and weak registry who will fail (at least for purpose of getting yearly renewal fees from already registered domain names within that TLD). But yes, theoretically it can happen.

•••
Sounds reasonable.
I think that a small (single extension) registry could go bankrupt if they spend too much, whereas a bigger registry can realize economies of scale.
Still some TLDs will never be viable because they won't have enough regs. You know, the stuff like .whoswho or .persiangulf.

•••
Some smaller registries run more focused outreach and focus on 1 or a few extensions.

Many larger ones have scale but no demand for nTLDs.

Sounds reasonable.
I think that a small (single extension) registry could go bankrupt if they spend too much, whereas a bigger registry can realize economies of scale.
Still some TLDs will never be viable because they won't have enough regs. You know, the stuff like .whoswho or .persiangulf.

Last edited:
•••
And of course you can't beat a dead .horse when it's already DOA :)

•••
Endusers will only buy from registrars and registry or not use new gtlds at all. Domainers who bought new gtlds got one hope, possibly some newbies who never read this thread and living in the closet. All Big domainers Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann said new gtlds were complete crap. Mike Berkens found some amazing new gtlds which were taken back from him , he was not a happy camper to say the least. Any experienced domainer knows new gtlds are total shit. Guys who buying new gtlds are looking to trick newbies! Thats why they get so defensive and offensive on this thread. They know deep down its SHIT themselves, but trying to suck in people who just started somehow.

Last edited:
•••
Endusers will only buy from registrars and registry or not use new gtlds at all. Domainers who bought new gtlds got one hope, possibly some newbies who never read this thread and living in the closet. All Big domainers Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann said new gtlds were complete crap. Mike Berkens found some amazing new gtlds which were taken back from him , he was not a happy camper to say the least. Any experienced domainer knows new gtlds are total sh*t. Guys who buying new gtlds are looking to trick newbies! Thats why they get so defensive and offensive on this thread. They know deep down its sh*t themselves, but trying to suck in people who just started somehow.
If I read previously mentioned article correctly (it is here), Mike Berkens stated in the comment section below this article that "I have spend over $500K on new gTLD’s domain registrations ...)..do you really think such experienced domainer would spend $500K on "crap" and "total sh*t"?

•••
Buy cheap, sell it BIG! And this goes to all "TLD" new or old!
Short and memorable domain names that will make sense will not die; only blossoms. Amazon and other industries are starting to adop new gTLDs for their specific line. I see Improvement :)

•••
Mike Mann says 24 7 how new GTLDS are total crap. Rick Schwartz said its total crap. Mike Berkens mentioned how he got cheated by new gtlds!!!!This is my point 2 out of 3 guys say its total SHIT and one GUY says the cheated him!

•••
I have never read any articles / never watched any videos where those famous domainers were saying that new gTLDs are total crap or something in that tone...can you link some resources?

•••
do you really think such experienced domainer would spend $500K on "crap" and "total sh*t"?
RS wasted 200K a long time ago, but it was more a gamble than an investment.
MB bought Ban.fishing while Banfishing.com was available. I wouldn't even buy the .com for $10 personally. I certainly don't think he bought only great names.

•••
Go to MIke Mann facebook page, Watch domainsherpa how Mike Berkens complains about being screwed. Rick Schwartz argues at Traffic conference for 1 hour vs Frank schilling and others how new gtlds will die and worthless. Also You can watch him say it in videos over and over. Also ready domainking.com blog he mentions it there as well

Last edited:
•••
Go to MIke Mann facebook page, Watch domainsherpa how Mike Berkens comlains about being screwed. Rick Schwartz argues at Traffic conference for 1 hour vs Frank schilling and others how new gtlds will die and worthless. Also You can watch him say it in videos over and over. Also ready domainking.com blog he mentions it there as well
Thanks a lot, I will check it. I am certainly curious about what they have to say, as I buy tons of new gTLDs at the moment, so I really want to get all information available :)

•••
Thanks a lot, I will check it. I am certainly curious about what they have to say, as I buy tons of new gTLDs at the moment, so I really want to get all information available :)
:)

•••
Wise investors know when to let go of bad investments and move on

•••
please proof
[QUOTE="ksusha64, post: 5750021, member: 957838"Mike Berkens mentioned how he got cheated by new gtlds!!!!![/QUOTE]

•••
please proof
[QUOTE="ksusha64, post: 5750021, member: 957838"Mike Berkens mentioned how he got cheated by new gtlds!!!!!
[/QUOTE]
Watch domainsherpa shows with Mike Berkens he mentions it. You should watch all shows the way u pick domains. No offense , but u need to pick domains that have at least $1 dollar value.
There are guys here like @Fancy.domains and @lolwarrior both of those guys pick good new gtlds. Please learn from those guys how to get better domains.

Last edited:
•••
I dropped all mine too unfortunately they didnt live up to the hype . I remember the .biz and .info days so well . I see so many people saying just rego for one more year and see i think the old saying you cant polish a t*rd

•••
The problem with relying upon domainers to determine which new gTLD is a good gTLD in which to invest is that it is a case of the blind leading the blind. There are larger concerns at work than just the usual .com rules being applied to a new TLD with no established aftermarket values. It is as if people have forgotten the whole point about the value of domains in a new TLD that is less than a year old is an unknown.

Whether you know it or not, every US/EU/AU facing new gTLD is competing with .COM. Most people don't understand that. The market for many of these new gTLDs is dominated by the USA. As for the China/Hong Kong/Japan dominated new gTLDs, these new gTLDs have a lot of trouble stored up because the renewal rates for many of these Chip hosters is dramatically different from Western hosters. Up to 80% or more of Chip registrations in some of these new gTLDs that are on low renewal reate Chip hosters will not renew because they are heavily discounted registrations.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
How do you make a small fortune from new tlds

You start with a large fortune first lol

•••
I will say, since my post was also deleted, it would be nice of Ksusha could limit his/her posts to one at a time instead of 3 in row, almost everytime.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back