Dynadot

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you want new gtlds to work then BOYCOTT them right now. DEMAND PREMIUM NEW GTLD DOMAINS AT REGULAR PRICES OTHERWISE WE BOYCOTT THEM! This way we all win!!
I dont quite follow your argument anymore. You say
1. Ngtlds are total crap for various reasons
2. We should boycot them and force to lower the price.

A. You are already boycotting them and not buying anyway.......
B. What are you going to do when they lower their prices? According to your arguments, they will still be the same crap, only cheaper.....you still wouldnt buy them and still advice ngtld domainers to stop and convert to .com

Last edited:
•••
Ok ok ok and ok; so the registries sold all those New gTLDs. So what's are we trying to confused ourselves? We said the new gTLDs are dead, but it's selling?The only difference in this picture is that the sellers was the registries. So therefore, the new gTLDs are not.dead

Last edited:
•••
I guess you didn't get the memo that most of us have acknowledged it's the registries getting sales, not you or most new gtld investors. You purposely left out this part - .Global Registry, when you posted about those sales. - http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

I clearly said .Global didn't get the memo, sorry you didn't comprehend. Didn't know I needed to add one word, registry for you to understand this as I did provide a link.

Actually it makes no difference to me, sales are sales and if they can do it anyone can IMO. You seem to like to analyze what I say a bit to much JB.. ;)

•••
Actually it makes no difference to me, sales are sales and if they can do it anyone can IMO. You seem to like to analyze what I say a bit to much JB.. ;)

Well, if you have zero, that isn't the case is it? Plus, you yourself have acknowledged the registries keep the best names for themselves many times now. So no, you guys don't have the same types of names the registries do.

•••
Well, if you have zero, that isn't the case is it? Plus, you yourself have acknowledged the registries keep the best names for themselves many times now. So no, you guys don't have the same types of names the registries do.

I had some nice sales last year, none this year as I have openly stated. It's not because of a lack of interest, I get several inquiries each week but I'm not looking for a quick flip but rather what I think the domains are worth to an end user. I turn down lots of offers, many deals just don't pan out after some serious back and forth.

I've spent most of this year buying all types of domains and extensions to add to my portfolio.

I truly feel I have many gTLDs that are better than the ones being held and sold by the registries. Yes they do hold most of the best now but if you do your homework you can always find ones that were missed. Also many of my best ones were registered before they got greedy to the extent they are today, or I purchased from domainers etc..

So I disagree with the assumption that the registries have all the great ones and I have only crap.

Last edited:
•••
I had some nice sales last year, none this year as I have openly stated. It's not because of a lack of interest, I get several inquiries each week but I'm not looking for a quick flip but rather what I think the domains are worth to an end user. I turn down lots of offers, many deals just don't pan out after some serious back and forth.

I've spent most of this year buying all types of domains and extensions to add to my portfolio.

I truly feel I have many gTLDs that are better than the ones being held and sold by the registries. Yes they do hold most of the best now but if you do your homework you can always find ones that were missed. Also many of my best ones were registered before they got greedy to the extent they are today, or I purchased from domainers etc..

So I disagree with the assumption that the registries have all the great ones and I have only crap.

Domaining is a very simple business to measure, it's not about how you feel. You may feel you have better domains than the registries, but they're getting sales. If you've sold 0 this entire year, obviously something isn't working. I would say the same thing if your portfolio was 100% .com.

Just wanted to add. You said you had some nice sales last year, plural, this year nothing. That doesn't seem to be going in the right direction. Isn't is supposed to get better as time goes along? Or did it already peak last year? Should you maybe start selling some of them if there is profit to be made? Maybe start taking some of those offers? What's going to change next year so it's better? I can tell you there will be even more new gtlds, maybe .web coming out etc. I can't see how that's going to help the ones already out, if anything just push them further down.

Last edited:
•••
Like I said I could have sold several but didn't agree on the price being offered, it's that simple. The registries hold a larger portfolio than me which you are not pointing out within this discussion.

I don't see domains flying off your site either and It appears you feel they're worth holding too.

Honestly I'm not worried about my domain investments, nor should you be IMO as that would be a bit weird. Most of my inquiries come to me, I don't go looking for them.

I'm not an aggressive domainer, don't need to be as I have a steady income. If I get a sale great, if not I can hold for the long term. Actually that was my plan all along with these new g's. ;)

Last edited:
•••
So you're saying people should give .mobi another chance? Or if I post a bunch of random quotes about being a sucker or lemming, that'll make my case?

If you're interested in what Frank is doing, hop on Namejet and buy .coms.

that is a good point. Frank is said to buy .com and even .net en masse on Namejet. Why would he do that if he thought .com would weaken over time?

Kind of strange. Is he busy bidding on nGTLD auctions? Probably not.

Last edited:
•••
Just wanted to add. You said you had some nice sales last year, plural, this year nothing. That doesn't seem to be going in the right direction. Isn't is supposed to get better as time goes along? Or did it already peak last year? Should you maybe start selling some of them if there is profit to be made? Maybe start taking some of those offers? What's going to change next year so it's better? I can tell you there will be even more new gtlds, maybe .web coming out etc. I can't see how that's going to help the ones already out, if anything just push them further down.

Since you edited let me reply to some of the additional comments.

I don't think last year was the peak of new g's by any means, you might be correct in the fact that maybe I should let some go if the ROI is good but most of my inquiries are for the best in my portfolio therefore I'm a little stubborn with my negotiations.

As for .web this is probably the most anticipated new g for sure but it's generic in nature therefore I don't see it hurting nice right.left combinations. A lot's to be seen as to how .web is handled too by the registry.

I know my opinion differs from many but actually I like .now better than .web. I like the call to action with this extension but not sure what the delay is..

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
No!

that is a good point. Frank is said to buy .com and even .net en masse on Namejet. Why would he do that if he thought .com would weaken over time?

Kind of strange. Is he busy bidding on nGTLD auctions? Probably not.

•••
I guess .global didn't get the memo they died! LOL
I can find reported sales in almost any TLD. Flukes. That doesn't mean there is market or the TLD is popular. And it's registry sales, not domainers.
Even .tk has some sales.

Not true. Google EBERO.
EBERO is an emergency mechanism in case a registry becomes incapable of providing critical services, even for a temporary period.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ebero-2013-04-02-en
For example, EBERO could be activated when DNS services is unavailable for more than 4 hours.

But it is only a backup support system.
The TLD could still be retired because the registry has gone bankrupt or just doesn't want to continue operating the TLD. So if no registry wants to salvage the failing TLD, possibly with a different business model, what happens ? Poof.
.mobi could be retired today had Afilias not bought it out.
And I wouldn't be surprised if .tel is retired in the near future because it is a zTLD (zombie TLD) and it has been a huge waste of money. Like .mobi, it is a poster story of failure that all TLD applicants should be forced to study before they apply for anything. Applicants should also pass drug tests :)

The term business continuity can be misleading. Registries must be able to maintain operations for 3 years, but there is no perpetual clause.
From the TLD applicant guidebook:
Maintain a Continued Operations Instrument. A registry
operator must, at the time of the agreement, have in
place a continued operations instrument sufficient to fund
basic registry operations for a period of three (3) years. This
requirement remains in place for five (5) years after
delegation of the TLD, after which time the registry
operator is no longer required to maintain the continued
operations instrument. (See Specification 8 to the registry
agreement.)
The registries have no obligation to maintain their TLDs forever.
I am sure that most registrants are not aware they are being used as guinea pigs in a live, Internetwide experience (but I prefer to call that cyberheist).

But hey you can trust Icann, this is a nightmare scenario that is unlikely to happen right.

Last edited:
•••
OK that means if we don't see successes within the next 0.5 years we will see many non-profitable extensions being retired(because they run out of money) which will lead to the new extensions being perceived as risky.

I think the problem is that while some registries are profitable, I have the suspicion that as whole the program is not profitable. Either the winners take all the losers or the losers are being shut-down or the losers continue to lose money indefinitely.

IMO a shutdown of at least some is inevitable.

It's in the interest of the larger operators to take losing extensions instead of having them shut-down because not doing so would make the entire program look less trustworthy and reliable.

The more losing extensions they take the less profitable their business would be so there is a limit of the number of extensions that can be saved.

Sooner or later some will die because they are useless in the real world.

Last edited:
•••
Bingo. And sadly all new extensions will be affected by the loss of credibility. It's going to send shockwaves across the Internet community. When that happens you will remember you read it here first.

I have made some suggestions to make the TLD approval process more fair.
The application fee is expensive and the financial requirements are stringent. It is a huge barrier to entry. I think that registries who want to sell strings to the public should be financially sound.
But it doesn't suffice to weed out the stupid applications for non-viable extensions.

There is no point in approving hundreds of strings that don't have a market.
I think the financial requirements could be relaxed, but the proposed TLDs should be backed by the public before they go live. I mean, backed financially. If you want to sell .horse domains go ahead, but you must demonstrate you already have say 10K people ready to buy one (and hopefully keep them). If you can't arouse enough interest at this stage, why insist on putting a flawed product on the market ?

Registries have always underperformed by their own pessimistic estimates, because there are no serious market studies being done. There is a difference between being 'sympathetic' to a TLD concept, and actually paying for it.
Example: .pro application from 2002.
Nothing has changed.

Also, remember what some domainers used to say: .mobi was a guaranteed success, it couldn't fail because it was 'backed' by Google, Nokia, and a few other industry heavyweights. You know, they have deep pockets, they are super smart and successful and we are just little domainers. What do we know ?
In real life, many products/innovations fail on the market. Google themselves have liquidated dozens of projects, many of which were well beyond the beta stage.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Wow. So now we have hard-core backing gTLD sales...whether it be registries or whomever the hell..but the whole thing is a FLUKE!

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with gTLD's and .mobi, .biz and the likes. It is a ridiculous comparison. If you bought into those and are still carrying a chip on your shoulder from it..it's time to shake it off and move on. Most of what we have now is nothing like those.The new gTLD's are custom-tailored to fit just about anything. And no one is touting them to be the next "Big Thing". The next big thing is whatever you choose to be your next big thing.

It's no longer one-size-fits-all.

•••
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with gTLD's and .mobi, .biz and the likes. It is a ridiculous comparison. If you bought into those and are still carrying a chip on your shoulder from it..it's time to shake it off and move on. Most of what we have now is nothing like those.

.xxx is like them and it failed too. .Name wasn't successful either.

Last edited:
•••
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with gTLD's and .mobi, .biz and the likes. It is a ridiculous comparison.
Not at all. They are all TLDs that failed because they are not relevant and were not embraced by consumers. And the new TLDs are even worse.
As long as you ignore History you are bound to repeat the same mistakes. All those past TLDs failed for good reasons.

Most of what we have now is nothing like those.The new gTLD's are custom-tailored to fit just about anything.
Many strings are niche TLDs, for example you can't do a lot with .horse or .hiv. The pool of keywords that make sense is limited. So we now have extensions like .whoswho with fewer than 100 regs.

•••
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with gTLD's and .mobi, .biz and the likes.

Depends on what you mean by success

1)Registry profitable or solvent.

2)Domain owner using for site or email and happy with it

3)Aftermarket profits for domainers

4)Total number of registrations

5)Public recognition

Mobi hit over1m registrations but became insolvent and lost any aftermarket value.
Biz registry probably in profit, domains used for sites,little aftermarket value.

You really need to ask questions about the company behind an extension
- after all, you just lease the domain. If that company cannot cover its costs, you lose.

•••
•••
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

5) .CLICK
9) .LINK

tld spam.png

•••
•••
Seems like there is so much negative experienced from that system. Depression will eventually get you; not new gTLDs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back