NameSilo

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I lost some money....learned good lesson. Will never hold anything that doesnt make sense

•••
From Frank's position, it makes more sense to sell them at a lower cost in higher quantities with near zero overhead, because he owns the registry. To sell them at a premium, one by one, takes a lot of time, resources and brokers.

For those of us who don't own a registry, our only option is to buy the best new gTLDs and sell them at a premium to one-off end-users that come knocking on our doors.

•••
History has a tremendous way of repeating itself. When it comes to nGTLD's one needs to only look back to the early 2000's when .biz, .mobi, .info among others came out and failed miserably.

This is a repeat of that but on a much larger scale. Some people just never learn unfortunately.

•••
One door close, another one opens.
A revolving door ?

So you're saying that your a pro because you joined in 2005 and anyone that joins NP, lets say 2014, 2015, 2016 is a con. Please, give me a break.

That's about the most arrogant remark I've read around here in quite some time.

Join dates mean nothing IMO...
What he's saying is way more subtle than that. Experienced members tend to be skeptical and even critics of new extensions. On the other hand the most outspoken supporters have 2015/2016 regdates. This is not by chance.

Many newbies think they know it all because they have been domaining for two weeks. But:
  1. They have little or no experience in selling names: if you have never even sold a .com how you be sure you're buying good names, how can you even be confident about investing in new extensions ?
  2. They have no historical awareness. They don't remember .mobi .tel .xxx .asia .etc because they weren't there. They blissfully ignore the experience of the past which remains relevant to this day.
So why are people surprised that new extensions are toxic investments ?

•••
I'm very happy to see gtlds die :-D it was only a matter of time

Last edited:
•••
befcd3d667810ed717ed4930455ff2a4482f5441c504b1f63278370a784a57c4.jpg

•••
•••
History has a tremendous way of repeating itself. When it comes to nGTLD's one needs to only look back to the early 2000's when .biz, .mobi, .info among others came out and failed miserably.

This is a repeat of that but on a much larger scale. Some people just never learn unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more... I remember the .Mobi craze - and the eventual crash - and it's the same thing all over again... The sad thing here is that in another 5-10 years, they'll roll out yet another new extension(s), and folks will fall for it all over again... (Back in the gold rush days, they used to call it "mining the miners...") Indeed, some folks will never learn... (And sadly, it's usually the noobs who can least afford the loss on their investments...)

•••
I sold two new gTLDs this week. Just as usual. :laugh:

Bought a few as well... :roll:

Last edited:
•••
I remember when Rick Schwartz started the .mobi frenzy (or at least contributed to it) by purchasing flowers.mobi for 200K (official version).
So many domainers took that as a vote of confidence when he was in fact gambling... Herd behavior can cause damage.

Now we have another figure to look to: Frank Schilling. Undoubtedly a top domainer but that doesn't mean buying names from him will make you rich. Remember that he's on top of the food chain as a seller of new extensions. Nobody is in a similar position. As a registry operator he's among the few who could make money of new TLDs. And that is not even guaranteed. Even registries are having a bad time.

My impression is that there are more domainers/speculators/chancers/spammers in new extensions, than real end users and this is a big problem imo.

•••
I purchased "i.click" for $8000 at auction. I think that was a great deal! Renewal is $5. Long term domain holding I don't plan to sell. Makes a great URL shortener. It grammatically makes sense. For example: i.click/pizza could be a shorturl for something pizza related.

Do I think new TLDs are dead? Absolutely not. Do I think they can support a million domains each. No. But there is a natural number that each can support. I have tried to buy brand new domains in the aftermarket and been told no even when I offered $40K!

•••
"New Gtlds are DEAD!!"
oh my
NOT ALL ALL ; THERE ARE SOME REALLY VALUABLE NEW GTLDS OUT THERE; THE ONCE THAT MAKE Sense AND Useful ( left and right of the dot) AND YOU KNOW IT! ;)

•••
Whens the funeral gonna be? :xf.rolleyes:
i have funeral.live was thinking live funerals for dead people "don't ask i was drunk at the time"

•••
The outrageous registration fees of the premium names is what is killing the adoption of these new extensions. Once these fools figure that out then they will prosper and legacy extensions better watch out.

•••
Anyone with half a thought can go through the new gTLD list and pick out the losers easily. Who would want a .adult when you can have a .xxx? How many companies are there that would use a .auction? How many audio companies are there to warrant a .audio? How many companies can use a .bet properly much less use it at all? What the hell do you put on a .bid? Who in there right mind would want a .bingo? How many companies would waste their time with a .blackfriday when it's only one day out of the year? I still can't think of one that would use a .blue. Oh yeah, the airline JetBlue. Guess what, they don't even own it. What real company would end their domain with a .business? How many ideas can you come up with to end with a .buzz? Not many. What photographer would use a .camera? .cards? .ceo? .chat? .click? .coach? .codes? .country? .cricket?

That's just quickly going through the list and picking out the junk. Mind you that is only the first 3 letters of the alphabet.

Last edited:
•••
Most profitable domaining strategies in the past 16 years.

2000-2007 selling traffic
2007-2014 selling domains
2014 and beyond: selling picks and shovels

the-entrepreneurial-mythology-and-how-we-built-a-multinational-group-without-it-3-638.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Interesting range of perspectives.

I don’t see the new TLDs as being dead. The fact is, some of them have tremendous value when used properly.

In the process of determining the worth of the new TLDs, domainers are so hungry for opportunity within their realm that they have forgotten to analyze the depth of new TLDs, and to properly assess the value proposition each may offer. Are they dot coms? No. Could some of them have the potential to rival dot coms? Yes… but it’s a combination of factors that will elevate those worthy of elevation to that level.

Further, some of the new TLDs were never launched to be money makers for domainers, they were launched for personal development by end-user hobbyists, special interests, and essentially, blogging. TLDs, like the dot me or dot space, are very limited in scope to what an end-user might pay, but unlimited to what a hobbyist might develop. These, like so many other new TLDs, are for the end-user to register and use, with very few offering the opportunity to profit from reselling.

Instead of analyzing this, many domainers have been in a rush to run out and buy a ton of shit, believing that end-users would eventually pay high fees to obtain these domains, simply because they have a dictionary meaning or happen to be an industry product, word, or term. For many, this won’t happen, and it’s obvious why to those who take the time to reason before making their decision. Just because EFG.com can fetch five or six figure sales, doesn’t mean it’s a smart investment to register EFG.clothing. The fact of the matter remains that a lot of the new TLDs have a small assortment of words specific to each new TLD that actually work. For most other non-relatable verbs, nouns, and adjectives, they sound stupid, make no sense, and have a very slim hope of monetizing beyond the registrar’s level.

Also, consider the strong factors in determining how this launch of new TLDs is significantly different than the release during the early millennium with the dot mobi’s, biz, org, info, etc. Firstly, it’s very challenging to find a suitable .com, since all short, viable domain names are gone, and because so many are priced out of reality, other logical alternatives become attractive. Secondly, in my opinion and most importantly, thanks to the massive growth, maturing, and innovative technological mindset of the IGen/Gen Z or Centennials, the Internet and the technologies associated with it are soon to be entering the next phase of Semantic Web progression. It is this highly adaptive generation that holds the key. It’s baffling how this is so overlooked. The Millennials and the younger population are the generations who will innovate the next phase of the internet well beyond what we’ve currently achieved. It’s also this demographic who has a different mindset than which was common 20, 15, even 10 years ago… and are much more accepting than their aging forefathers.

A good example of this thought process and adaptability would be in the fairly recent rise of the .io extension. It’s the Indian Ocean, let’s call a spade a spade… yet, it has transcended into a marquee TLD with value to those in technology – and it’s all thanks to modifying our thoughts to interpret io as an acronym for Input Output. Incidentally, it’s this perceived usage of the newer io TLD that is starting to do quite well, with many strong sales having been posted over past few months.

The days of registering 1,2,3 and 4 letter domains of value are limited, if not done altogether, with the .com clearly being the most desirable and king of all. Simply doing AHGD.co or 22314.xyz isn’t going to garner massive results in the foreseeable future, but for the thinking domainer, the opportunity is still very much alive and emphasised with some of these new ‘dead’ TLD’s.

A little common sense, reasoning, and logic would help all of us to better perceive the value proposition of particular domains within the new TLDs, and in turn will save all who call domaining their profession a lot of money. Instead of regurgitating useless dot coms or registering 20+ character domains, give it a little time: you might profit if played wisely.

To say that the new TLDs are dead, is a premature statement.

•••
This means nothing other than he made bad choices with the extensions. Only a half-wit would keep that many names with those subpar extensions in their portfolio.

Even with great names, gTLD's were never meant for a quick flip. It is inconceivable to think they would catch on quicklly enough to be profitable within the first 5, even 10 years. Spending a fortune on a vast array of names, and then budgeting for the renewals is daunting. Better to keep it smart and slim.

•••
He can care less, he has money to burn; and he doesn't needs cry babies.
Even great gamblers run out of money. He was making easy money with parking and then it died. Parking took no money to create an income stream except for renewal costs. Once parking died DomainNameSales appeared and then Uniregistry because he needed to create a new income stream. It takes big money to run these companies and pay all those employees. Nobody knows how the story ends yet.

•••
Yeah yeah. Another ngTLD bashing thread

I just had a look at your domains on fancy.domains

Some excellent names there. These are my favourites:

BET.CITY
CLASSIC.BIKE
CLUB.LAND
DATING.DIRECT
JUST.DOMAINS
JUST.POKER
LONDON.CLOTHING
TOP.POKER
CHESS.XYZ
AMERICAN.YOGA

All reasonably priced too.

•••
Mike Berkens wrote a great article:
How many names u guys dropped? Anyone still believes in it?

I dropped 500+ but I still believe in few.

Last edited:
•••
right now for nGTLDs is like the .com equivalency of 1992. Whoever heard of .com in 1992? Yet were already talking about the massive failures of new gtlds after only 2-3 years?? In this case, Uniregistry owns these extensions, what did they do, buy the names from themselves? It's not even what many of you are thinking.

Last edited:
•••
I still do not forget about about this man's comments about .com and these shit extension.

If someone succeeds, we tend to follow them forever as if success is their copyright.

Lesson: Do not blindly follow anyone. Use your knowledge and stick to conviction and learn from failure.

In this field, so many successful domainers and bloggers use every tool to propagate their agenda.

Do not blame others for your silliness (blindly following someone). Take responsibility for your deeds.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back