IT.COM

LLLL.com market FLOODED

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I feared this would happen. There are so many LLLL.com's for sale now it is sure to hurt the value. I think this is what happen when you have a pool of over 400,000 possible combinations. As more buyers turn into sellers the prices must come down...

Does anyone share this concern?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Alex said:
I saw that thread too yesterday. What a coincidence.
Everybody was sayyying things about buyyyers :)

Nay sayers are always going to be around. Those are the people who really need statistical proof before they invest in something, in other words scared to put their money in risky businesses. It is good for people like you and I because we get to buy up more domains. Nay sayers will always regret afterwards. We should try sending IMs to those past thread Nay Sayers.

•••
I agree :)

I think alot of the old timers are somewhat brainwashed into some kind of "generics and domains under 4 characters" mentality. That's worked well for many of them in the past, so I can certainly understand that reasoning and had .mobi not open my eyes to the mobile web and how big that (and demand for short dotcoms) will be in the future, I might have been one of those naysayers myself...

But I came to my senses... I realized what many of these naysayers still need to realize... LLL.coms are going to get more and more expensive... Eventually they'll be out of everyone's budget except the largest of companies. We're already at the point where most small businesses can't afford to get an LLLL.com, so they go with the next best choice: an LLLL.com. I'd rather have a good LLLL.com anyday than a good LLL.net...

I've been doing some googling lately finding some companies which might be well served by some of my LLL.coms, as well as making sure I don't infringe on any trademarks in the process of getting my logos designed for my LLL.coms that I'm planning on developing... I'm amazed how many companies there are that are based on LLLL.coms!

Take my BQB,com in example...

What's a company to do if they can't afford it or if they're not interested in paying 10k+ for an LLL.com? Drumroll: get an LLLL.com, like say BQBS,com :)

BQBB is also a developed site, as is BQBF, BQBG, and BQBH... I guess there are endusers out there for LLLL.coms with bad letters afterall :hehe:

rkbdomain said:
A good practice in general is to follow the naysayers and do the opposite of what they recommend.

netklick said:
Nay sayers are always going to be around. Those are the people who really need statistical proof before they invest in something, in other words scared to put their money in risky businesses. It is good for people like you and I because we get to buy up more domains. Nay sayers will always regret afterwards. We should try sending IMs to those past thread Nay Sayers.

•••
Reece said:
I agree :)

What's a company to do if they can't afford it or if they're not interested in paying 10k+ for an LLL.com? Drumroll: get an LLLL.com, like say BQBS,com :)

BQBB is also a developed site, as is BQBF, BQBG, and BQBH... I guess there are endusers out there for LLLL.coms with bad letters afterall :hehe:

Ton of them! The Asian market is huge for the bad letters. I hope the .asia domain actually bring more Asian businesses to their sense and get them online. It will drive .com prices up eventually.

•••
Reece said:

What's a company to do if they can't afford it or if they're not interested in paying 10k+ for an LLL.com? Drumroll:

B-Q-B.com would be the optimal second choice
:imho:
Its actually for sale i noticed. (not mine)

BQBL.com would also be awesome, for Limited on end , pour example
W on end is also cool, or S , + many others

•••
There are many letters you can put in front of a 3-letter combination or at the end of it, and still make it extremely useful.

To take "BQB" as an example, let's say it's made to stand for 'better quality business' (just an example), you can put just about any letter as a suffix and still make it really viable: BQBW.com = (Better Quality Business Web/Website); BQBN = (Better Quality Business Network); BQBB (... ~Bureau); BQBF (... ~Forum/Force/etc.) BQBX (... ~Xpress); BQBS (... ~Site/Server/Services/etc.), and so on. The same thing when you make these letters a prefix.

Notwithstanding the usefulness of supposedly 'bad' letters like q, x, z to countries like China, there are just so many uses and variations you can put on letters of just about 4 LLLL domain that even if there are a 'few' that may not seem like they have huge end-user demand, it is almost certainly wrong to be saying that they're not very useful in general to warrant still increasing valuations in the months and years to come.

•••
I have just repped Chappy for starting this thread..its a hoot...and an opportunity for old adversaries to cross swords...and a new home for ex-LLLL countdowners!
...well after the LLL market went ballistic, there was a lot of wistful regret of having missed the boat and that there would nver be an equivalent gold rush again. Some of us saw something when the LLLL long countdown started with the Vurg Collossus machine to occupy every day of our waiting thoughts for over a year and making collections of scraps of paper seeking marginal meanings from strange combos. In the end any combo would have/is OK to make a markup. Nobody realised how big and fast the market would move. It is likely to be bottom $100 by the end of the year. Some bubble!

•••
I'm sorry to disagree, but after watching the lates BIN's at TDNAM and the latest sales all over I have to say I expect ~$150-$200 min at the end of the year.

**IF I had the cash I would wipe the all market bellow $100**

•••
Reece said:
I found a discussion thread on another forum about the domain Myyy.com (which was recently purchased by John [ebatcave] for 2.1k) back in 2003.

It goes like this:

Owner asks for an appraisal on Myyy.com...
Domainer responds why would you waste money on that, must have been drunk...
Domainer 2 responds saying that all you can do is try to find a buyer and wishing him good luck.
Domainer 3 says: You mean buyyyer :lol:
Thread goes on with people joking about the name and a couple more people giving it $0 appraisals...

Remember, this name just sold for $2100. Kudos to the original owner... He stuck it out all those years and didn't let these naysayers get into the way of making a great sale. :tu:

What do you think it was actually worth in 2003? Totally different market back then in my view. To put it in perspective around that time I can remember 3 letter .net's being given away and people used to debate about paying more than 2 years revenue for keyword names.

•••
That's precisely the point snoop... These so called "experts" were laughing at investments (LLL.nets in your example, triple letter llll.coms in mine) that turned out far better than what most of them were investing in at the time.

They use their so-called "experience" as a justification for why we should believe what they have to say to this very day. I don't even have time to listen, quite frankly..

While other "experts" were once again bashing bad letter LLLL.coms pre-buyout, many of us laughed all the way to the bank with 500-1000% returns over the last year. When the "experts" do that in this century, maybe I'll listen.

snoop said:
What do you think it was actually worth in 2003? Totally different market back then in my view. To put it in perspective around that time I can remember 3 letter .net's being given away and people used to debate about paying more than 2 years revenue for keyword names.

•••
when most clocks were still analog not digital, this saying probably made more sense: "even a broken clock is right twice a day" ...

Reminds me of people talking about irrational exuberance in the stock market around 1996 ... and then finally jumping on the bandwagon (right at the peak) in 2000. Wrong twice in a decade in this case. Ouch.

At some point down the road, we may or may not see a bubble in short domain prices ... But right now, it's not even 1996 for the LLLL.com market. And at these prices, they're still substantially undervalued for the long-term - let alone the potential bubble prices we might be seeing in a few years.

•••
Reece said:
That's precisely the point snoop... These so called "experts" were laughing at investments (LLL.nets in your example, triple letter llll.coms in mine) that turned out far better than what most of them were investing in at the time.

I'm not really sure that they have done better than the overall market (and we don't know what those people were investing in-they may be millionaires today).

My point is simply that the name probably was worth very little at the start of 2003 (which was basically the end of the slump). So in hindsight it looks like those comments were silly, but in reality those appraisals of $0-$15 probably weren't that far off the mark. The name may have been worth a bit more in 2003 than $0-$15, but to appraise it say at anything over mid 2 figs would have been silly. Unless you chose to invest in .biz or something like that then then gains over the last 5 years have been pretty dramatic.

•••
So, to sum it up... Most "experts" can't predict the future any better than anyone else :)

snoop said:
I'm not really sure that they have done better than the overall market (and we don't know what those people were investing in-they may be millionaires today).

My point is simply that the name probably was worth very little at the start of 2003 (which was basically the end of the slump). So in hindsight it looks like those comments were silly, but in reality those appraisals of $0-$15 probably weren't that far off the mark. The name may have been worth a bit more in 2003 than $0-$15, but to appraise it say at anything over mid 2 figs would have been silly. Unless you chose to invest in .biz or something like that then then gains over the last 5 years have been pretty dramatic.

•••
There's eleven LLLL.com on sedo just now with around 3 hrs to go if anyone is interested ?

•••
gazzip said:
There's eleven LLLL.com on sedo just now with around 3 hrs to go if anyone is interested ?

MORE LLLL for sale? Surely not...... :'(

I hope the buyers are flipping.

•••
snoop said:

nice try but total b******s!
the value of a name at a particular point in time is more or less the price it will exchange at.
the business proposition is to take a position on the future, ie making a futures contract equivalent.
the increasing focus on capitalising short letter names registration has been far in excess of any random names which may have been regged which cannot be really assessed as accurately as a formulaic large group eg 4L.
Next!

•••
Chappy said:
MORE LLLL for sale? Surely not...... :'(

I hope the buyers are flipping.

Seems like you are infiltrating this thread with your campaign against LLLL dot coms. 11 LLLL sales is nothing and they get bought off fast in the market.

•••
•••
floatingworld said:
nice try but total b******s!
the value of a name at a particular point in time is more or less the price it will exchange at.

Have I said anything different to that?

floatingworld said:
the business proposition is to take a position on the future, ie making a futures contract equivalent.
the increasing focus on capitalising short letter names registration has been far in excess of any random names which may have been regged which cannot be really assessed as accurately as a formulaic large group eg 4L.
Next!

So on one hand you state these names have done better than others since 2003 yet you conclude with "cannot be really assessed as accurately as a formulaic large group eg 4L"

How can you say they have done better than names you say you cannot accurately assess?

Reece said:
So, to sum it up... Most "experts" can't predict the future any better than anyone else :)

The thing is they were simply giving an appraisal of the name in 2003, at 2003 values. I don't think anyone was trying to predict the future direction of the market and the massive boom we had since 2003.

•••
I'm flippin. So far so good. 80% to 300% profits in two weeks. But I'm also taking those profits and putting them back into better quality LLLLs.

•••
I don't think anyone was trying to predict the future direction of the market and the massive boom we had since 2003.

I sure was, that's why I got into domaining; and that’s why I bought a lot of nice VCVC's years ago. I was predicting the future; and I'm glad I did; the variables all added up correctly. You and I can look at the same exact variables and come up with completely different predictions.

I paid reg fee for about 30 nice VCVC’s about three years ago, since then, nothing in my portfolio has done as well as the LLLL.com investments I made. I’ve had a few kick ass sales (one or $18,500, and you guessed it, it was a LLLL.com), but overall, no other area of my portfolio has performed as well; and I’m very diversified with domains.

If you don't predict properly, you loose; if you predict well, you win. Those who predicted that LLLL's were a worthy investment, predicted correctly. The fact that the LLLL.com will never go back down to reg fees, closes the book on this case; high or low, that chapter is closed.

History can be a beautiful tool, it offers an outline for those who study trends. When you say that you don’t think anyone was trying to predict the future, you’re wrong. I am, somebody.

•••
KingDon said:
I don't think anyone was trying to predict the future direction of the market and the massive boom we had since 2003.

I sure was, that's why I got into domaining; and that’s why I bought a lot of nice VCVC's years ago. I was predicting the future; and I'm glad I did; the variables all added up correctly. You and I can look at the same exact variables and come up with completely different predictions.

I paid reg fee for about 30 nice VCVC’s about three years ago, since then, nothing in my portfolio has done as well as the LLLL.com investments I made. I’ve had a few kick ass sales (one or $18,500, and you guessed it, it was a LLLL.com), but overall, no other area of my portfolio has performed as well; and I’m very diversified with domains.

If you don't predict properly, you loose; if you predict well, you win. Those who predicted that LLLL's were a worthy investment, predicted correctly. The fact that the LLLL.com will never go back down to reg fees, closes the book on this case; high or low, that chapter is closed.

History can be a beautiful tool, it offers an outline for those who study trends. When you say that you don’t think anyone was trying to predict the future, you’re wrong. I am, somebody.
Indeed!

Rep added

_________

•••
KingDon said:
When you say that you don’t think anyone was trying to predict the future, you’re wrong. I am, somebody.

You've taken my quote out of context,

The thing is they were simply giving an appraisal of the name in 2003, at 2003 values. I don't think anyone was trying to predict the future direction of the market and the massive boom we had since 2003.

I am talking about the comments in the appraisal thread of myyy.com that is being discussed, those people were saying what they thought the name was worth, in the year 2003, nothing more, nothing less, they weren't making any predictions about the future.

•••
When you liken it to a drunk reg, you kind of are making predictions about the future...

I wouldn't go about calling anyone's LLLL.net purchases drunk regs, even if they're only worth roughly regfee at the moment...

Honestly, I wouldn't call anyone's reg of anything a drunk one as that's plain and simply rude but if I were to call something that, it'd have to be something that has not a chance in hell of ever going up in value.

Assuming the appraisers here have the same view of a drunk reg as I do (has the meaning of a drunk reg changed since the year 2003?), we'd have to assume that they were way off in their prediction...

But maybe I'm taking this all out of context :hehe:

snoop said:
You've taken my quote out of context,

I am talking about the comments in the appraisal thread of myyy.com that is being discussed, those people were saying what they thought the name was worth, in the year 2003, nothing more, nothing less, they weren't making any predictions about the future.

•••
Reece said:
When you liken it to a drunk reg, you kind of are making predictions about the future...

I wouldn't go about calling anyone's LLLL.net purchases drunk regs, even if they're only worth roughly regfee at the moment...

Honestly, I wouldn't call anyone's reg of anything a drunk one as that's plain and simply rude but if I were to call something that, it'd have to be something that has not a chance in hell of ever going up in value.

Assuming the appraisers here have the same view of a drunk reg as I do (has the meaning of a drunk reg changed since the year 2003?), we'd have to assume that they were way off in their prediction...

But maybe I'm taking this all out of context :hehe:

C'mon, nobody is making any prediction with that thread. It is simply the case that of 3 people saying they thought the name was worthless and one saying they thought it was worth $15, there is nobody making predictions about the future. In 2003 the name probably wasn't worthless, but it probably wasn't worth much more than the price of a couple of pizzas either. There is all sorts of valuable names now that many would have seen as "drunk reges" at some point in time. It is relative to names values then and what can still be regged. We are looking at an appraisal thread from back in a time when 3 letter .net were being given away, when the internet was at the end of a huge bust, when 3 letter .com's regularly sold for $199.

•••
KingDon said:
If you don't predict properly, you loose; if you predict well, you win. Those who predicted that LLLL's were a worthy investment, predicted correctly.

It's funny that you should talk about prediction because it just recently occurred to me that the foundation of any type of investment is prediction. Making money is in prediction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back