NameSilo

LLLL.com market FLOODED

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I feared this would happen. There are so many LLLL.com's for sale now it is sure to hurt the value. I think this is what happen when you have a pool of over 400,000 possible combinations. As more buyers turn into sellers the prices must come down...

Does anyone share this concern?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DADomains said:
Question for everyone: What's a better buy right now for long term investment, a mediocre LLLL.com or a premium LLLL.net?

If you're willing to wait at least a year, maybe 2, You'd see a greater ROI on premium LLLL.nets i say. No doubt LLLL.coms are great, but from a ROI perspective i'd go with .nets

•••
DADomains said:
Question for everyone: What's a better buy right now for long term investment, a mediocre LLLL.com or a premium LLLL.net?

imho a premoium 'net' is a rare thing
:hehe:

i hate net so am biased, has no real use imho

generics are good but u cant always even sell them on a forum.
cheap premium LLL.net are a better bet

the best longterm investment though if you want an enduser for a letter combo and cant afford the LLL.com is

L-L-L.com & then LLLL.com (with the last letter being L or something useful) :imho: :sold:
both these options are still very cheap in the reseller world & will offer great returns

•••
Agreed. You can still get quad premium .nets for $9-$10 which makes them a pretty good candidate for exceptional ROI over the next year.

Tempest111 said:
If you're willing to wait at least a year, maybe 2, You'd see a greater ROI on premium LLLL.nets i say. No doubt LLLL.coms are great, but from a ROI perspective i'd go with .nets

I agree that the best investment is certainly a higher quality LLLL.com/L-L-L.com ending in a useful letter. Unfortunately, most of the holders of these types of names are starting to wake up and realize a name ending in L, A, C, O, etc is a heck of alot better than that same name with Q as a last letter, even if the former has a Q elsewhere in the name...

For Canadians, I see LL/LLL.ca appreciating considerably over the next year. I was really torn between LLLL.coms and LLL.ca back when I made my investment in LLLL.coms... Funny enough, they turned out almost identically (in terms of ROI).

arnie said:
imho a premoium 'net' is a rare thing
:hehe:

i hate net so am biased, has no real use imho

generics are good but u cant always even sell them on a forum.
cheap premium LLL.net are a better bet

the best longterm investment though if you want an enduser for a letter combo and cant afford the LLL.com is

L-L-L.com & then LLLL.com (with the last letter being L or something useful) :imho: :sold:
both these options are still very cheap in the reseller world & will offer great returns

Last edited:
•••
Ok, let's expand the question a bit then.

~~~~~

If you had X amount of money to invest, which of the following would you buy the most of until your budget ran out?

(Put in order of purchase priority.)

LLLL.com (all premium letters)
LLLL.com (3 premium letters)
LLLL.com (2 or less premium letters)
LLLL.net (all premium letters)
LLLL.net (3 premium letters)
LLLL.net (2 or less premium letters)
LLL.com (assuming your budget was big enough)
L-L-L.com (ending in L, A, C, O)
LLLL.com (ending in L, A, C, O)

~~~~~

Remember we are not talking the current values of these domains, but how well we think they will increase in value.

On gut feeling alone, I would go with

The rest I am too unfamiliar with to speculate on. Turns out there is a strange symmetry to my list above if you look for it.

But frankly while making this list it seems to me that it's all good! Good time for flippers I guess what with a lot of free-range domain types currently dying off. :$: :tu:

Last edited:
•••
I like your list, but everybody would give a different answer to that question... why don t you open a pool on a new thread? this might be interesting...

•••
filter said:
Good question ... I don't know! Really long-term (5+ years) I'd stick with LLLL.com ... For a 2 year horizon, it may be a tossup. Over the next 6 months, it's quite possible you'll see better return with premium LLLL.net ...
***[wholesale snippage of great stuff]***

Good post, filter. I didn't even think of how these domain types are valued differently depending on how long you are willing to wait for your money. :|

thetruman said:
I like your list, but everybody would give a different answer to that question... why don t you open a pool on a new thread? this might be interesting...

Maybe! But it occurs to me what a weird situation this could create. For instance if we all start valuing a certain domain type for it's potential to increase in value, then people would start buying more of them, raise the prices, and then they would no longer be the best deals! Tricky business this is. :-/

Last edited:
•••
thetruman said:

DADomains said:
Maybe! But it occurs to me what a weird situation this could create. For instance if we all start valuing a certain domain type for it's potential to increase in value, then people would start buying more of them, raise the prices, and then they would no longer be the best deals! Tricky business this is. :-/

Welcome to the wonderful world of reflexivity.

:lol:

just remember, no one really knows for sure ...

and those who know, will not say. And those who say, surely do not know ... if you know what I'm saying ...

Best thing to do if you're not sure might be to diversify a bit. Then you still have options to trade in and out of different sectors as more information becomes available.

I like bumping this thread.

LLLL.com market does seem to be somewhat flooded at the moment .... :)

•••
snoop said:
It certainly isn't the case as of now, from what I know of it all the 4 letter .com's were tasted ad nausea, so the chance of someone picking up one in recent times with enough traffic to cover the reg fee is low.

Last year I purchased "Veup.com" at snap for $60, when I finaly got it parked at Sedo I noticed steady traffic at around 15-16k a month.

Two months later I flipped it at sedo for $1700. And that wasnt a enduser.

Howcome I know it wasnt a end-user?. Because I saw it resell for just a week ago at Sedo again, on auction, and it went for below $500.

I considered buying it again, but, I have enough LLLLs, and besides, i've earned enough profit on that one already B-) .

I do not know why or how the guy that baught if for 1700 managed to sell it again for such a low price, my guess is that he was just unlucky with the sale. I for one would never do that.

I doubt very much that prices will decline alot in general, in the long run they will increase alot. Just my take on it.

Many good opinions in the thread, perhaps that wasnt intentional , considering bashstart topic, however, thats how it turned out huh :).

Cheers,
Andree

•••
I have around 20 LLLL.coms with good traffic. A couple of them earn 30$ a month parked... others receive traffic as well

•••
thetruman said:
I have around 20 LLLL.coms with good traffic. A couple of them earn 30$ a month parked... others receive traffic as well

Nice. How do you go about picking keywords that get you a good CTR for a random series of 4 letters? I've been struggling with this. Lots of visits on them, no one is clicking.

•••
the domains that receive more traffic where sites in the past. I tried to fine tuning the keyword according to the original site (check archive.org to see what the site looked like in the past). Often the keyword don t pay you top rates (from 0.02 to 0.30), but at least you get clicks.
Important: if you park your domains you could have different results with different parking companies with the same domain...

Last edited:
•••
DADomains said:
Nice. How do you go about picking keywords that get you a good CTR for a random series of 4 letters? I've been struggling with this. Lots of visits on them, no one is clicking.

Welcome to the club!. hehe. However, I have earned a few regfees, but nothing more.

•••
personally I would be more inclined to buy LLLL.com in the second-hand market rather than purchase LLLL.net at reg fee. However, the .net countdown is a good thing for the value appreciation of the .coms so each to his own. Also, if the .net countdown is judged a success at end, I think we should expect a serious assault on .org and .info to follow on.

•••
This morning, I sold a package of 5 LLLL.net for $55 ... Some nice ones that I regged in December. Total profit (after PayPal fees) about $21 ... So call it approximately 90% ROI. The same $31 I spent on reg fees if invested in LLLL.com in December might have yielded closer to 200% ROI today.

Three or six months out though, who knows ... It's good to have options - and I don't mind giving up some potential ROI for the sake of diversification, as well as to catch the possibility of bigger upside in the short term. Just pick the ones that you like, whether they're LLLL.net or LLLL.com - don't overextend yourself, be ready to hold both for a while - and try to enjoy riding the rollercoaster through the little ups and downs on the way to the top (I strongly suspect both will end up quite a bit higher than they are right now - but may be an interesting ride on the way ...) :)

•••
thetruman said:
would you mind in telling where you are parking them Marco?
i noticed you told some of them were sites in the past :)

netklick said:
456K stocks DOES NOT BALANCE the demand of today's internet world.
thats a great statement made in the beginning of this thread... imagine what will happen in the years to come

italiandragon said:
But the biggest of all BS is when I see people continuing to think as there is only English in the world. Who cares about 1 BILLION+ CHINESE SPEAKERS THAT are soon going to rule the internet, i`ll have good laught when names like QXZI.com will be getting huge traffic.
this is the most important thing people must have in mind
although china and india are the great players in this game we cant forget other countries with large population such as brazil and russia; africa will be in the internet as well

jacal1 said:
As someone who has been accused of being a LLLL basher, I can firmly say that no matter what you think about their value to end users or whatever, no matter what reasoning you bring to dampen values, there is absolutely no denying the pattern and its fit with what happens with stocks. The values will go up again, perhaps only slightly muted if we do enter a full recession.
thats why i dont feel mad when i read threads like this
i just dont agree and advice people not to sell for $250 as they wouldnt be selling their names; they would be giving their names to the new owner

if we had many drops in sep/oct dont worry people...
i will help to keep all LLLL dot com reg'd :hehe:

DADomains said:
If you had X amount of money to invest, which of the following would you buy the most of until your budget ran out?

(Put in order of purchase priority.)

L-L-L.com (ending in L, A, C, O)
LLLL.com (ending in L, A, C, O)

~~~~~

Remember we are not talking the current values of these domains, but how well we think they will increase in value.
i would go with (talking about ROI), always and only dot com

LLLL.com (with 3 premium letters)
LLLL.com (with 2 premium letters)
LLLL.com (quad premium)
LLLL.com (ending in L, A, C, O; assuming they are quad premium as well, otherwise i would go with these ones beforequad premium)

i also assume you are talking about 2-3 years ROI but if you are talking about 5+ years ROI i would go with L-L-L dot com (they are forgotten, you can buy premium ones very cheap right now and the end-users sales are happening)

•••
Arrg. Another thing to worry about.

I had never heard about CVCVs and VCVCs until most of my LLLL stash was bought. Needless to say I have few of those, and those have a Y.

Now comes "ending in L, A, C, O". LACO are nearly 1/4 of the premium letters - the letters I deliberately tried to include in the domains that I bought. I just checked: 7% of my LLLL.coms end in one of those letters.

I am not complaining, I have a nice group of LLLL.coms. But there were things that I missed.

Is this LACO thing based on your price research Reece? Are there other letters that are nearly as good as LACO? I bought based on letter quality, and paid no attention to the order of the letters (unless I saw something special in a domain). Looking through my list I see that the worst letter is very often the last letter.

•••
accentnepal said:
Arrg. Another thing to worry about.

I had never heard about CVCVs and VCVCs until most of my LLLL stash was bought. Needless to say I have few of those, and those have a Y.

Now comes "ending in L, A, C, O". LACO are nearly 1/4 of the premium letters - the letters I deliberately tried to include in the domains that I bought. I just checked: 7% of my LLLL.coms end in one of those letters.

I am not complaining, I have a nice group of LLLL.coms. But there were things that I missed.

Is this LACO thing based on your price research Reece? Are there other letters that are nearly as good as LACO? I bought based on letter quality, and paid no attention to the order of the letters (unless I saw something special in a domain). Looking through my list I see that the worst letter is very often the last letter.

I agree. There is always something different poping up.CVCV or not it all comes down to the end user on the final price. Still good post Brico

Last edited:
•••
accentnepal said:
Are there other letters that are nearly as good as LACO?
L = Limited
A = Associates, Association
C = Company, Corporation
O = Online, Organization
P = Partners, Partnership, Pty (Proprietary), Properties (good for real estate management companies)
also
I = Incorporated
W = Web
G = Group, Gesellschaft (ie German "organization" - even better if AG = Aktiengesellschaft - "corporation")
F = Fund

all these work best in last position ...
ie, QXZ Incorporated might be a company choosing between shelling out $7K for QXZ.com or making a reasonable offer for QXZI.com ... :)

•••
•••
filter said:
L = Limited
A = Associates, Association
C = Company, Corporation
O = Online, Organization
P = Partners, Partnership, Pty (Proprietary), Properties (good for real estate management companies)
also
I = Incorporated
W = Web
G = Group, Gesellschaft (ie German "organization" - even better if AG = Aktiengesellschaft - "corporation")
F = Fund

all these work best in last position ...
ie, QXZ Incorporated might be a company choosing between shelling out $7K for QXZ.com or making a reasonable offer for QXZI.com ... :)

I also as Internet , example:

IMDB.com
Internet Movie DataBase

:xf.love:

•••
•••
DADomains said:
If you had X amount of money to invest, which of the following would you buy the most of until your budget ran out? (Put in order of purchase priority.)
Nice question, here's my perspective.

LLL.com
after L, LL - which my budget will never reach

LLL.ccTLD
i prefer .in but .co.uk / .de / .ca / .la all seem viable)

LLLL.ccTLD
short dictionary words ROI is going to be unbelievable, though it might take 2-3 yrs to actually get an end user for 'any' word. Just see the value of dictionary 4L.coms now. CVCV or VCVC or Pronounceable domains in ccTLDs will take maybe 5 yrs or more for decent ROI and hence are discounted.

LLLL.com (pronounceable)
LLLL.com (acronyms)

LLLL.net (pronounceable)
LLLL.net (acronym)

I think there are two groups of short domains - pronounceable and acronym based. Specially when looking at end user sales - pronounceables like cvcv/vcvc/cvcc are already doing good numbers. Others pronounceable but with bad letters or semi-pronounceable should be the next big jump.

Letter quality as signified by various sources is a 'reseller only' scenario. I think Filter has elaborated well even about anti-premiums and his take was justified by the pricing.

All in all, for an industry that survives on 'generics' short domains are really shaking it up, I like :)

•••
filter[snip said:

I thought you were talking about one of my names, but I looked it up and I have Qrxe.com and Qrxi.com

I called these my "quirksy" domains. :hearts: :cy: :tri:

•••
mwzd said:
LLL.ccTLD
i prefer .in but .co.uk / .de / .ca / .la all seem viable)

Nice breakdown, Mwzd. Mind if I ask where do you buy your ccTLDs?
EDIT: I just found http://web.mediawiz.biz/ I assume you get them from there?

BTW, I like your blog. Your list of available .INs is great. Plus, "I have no billboards in my bedroom either, in case you’re wondering", gave me a chuckle. :)

•••
DADomains said:
Mind if I ask where do you buy your ccTLDs? EDIT: I just found http://web.mediawiz.biz/ I assume you get them from there?
:hehe: Correct... specially since its my company too :)

DADomains said:
Nice breakdown, Mwzd... BTW, I like your blog. Your list of available .INs is great. Plus, "I have no billboards in my bedroom either, in case you’re wondering", gave me a chuckle. :)
Thanks. I'm glad I now officially have one person who reads my blog (or did, at least once) ;) I'm glad you like the list and post too. Will come up with more lists next month.

Cheers!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back