IT.COM

GoDaddy PROBLEM - HELP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maggie Mae

Established Member
Impact
I'm confused, concerned, and now very frustrated about a domain and my GD account ...

I purchased a hand registered domain in March 2023; I renewed it in March 2024.

It shows in my GD portfolio and is NOT listed for sale there.

But, it IS listed for sale at GoDaddy AUCTION for $2,495 (I DID NOT LIST IT FOR SALE)

I compared my GD account domain info to another one of my domains that is listed for sale. It gives the option to: Edit Listing

The domain I'm inquiring about gives the option to: Sell / List for Sale

I've double checked the spelling, but can't figure out how it is listed for sale, when I have NOT listed it.

Has my account been hacked?

How did this domain get listed for sale, yet I can not edit the sale?

I've contacted GoDaddy directly and via X/Twitter.

An email response was:

"
I don’t have the capabilities to dig into this from a system perspective but it sounds like the domain was listed for sale before you registered or acquired it, and it is an old listing.

By default, once a domain expires, it isn’t automatically removed from marketplaces – whether that’s GoDaddy Auctions, Afternic, Sedo, Dan, SquadHelp, etc. Given the number of domains acquired and sold each day, this scenario does happen.

However, if you’re concerned about your account’s security, I’d encourage you to reach out to GoDaddy’s support team as soon as possible."

No offer to forward my request for help to one that could help me.

I HAND REG'd the domain. IF it was previously listed for sale, WHY do marketplaces leave them up and how does a new owner get the listing deleted if we don't know where the domain was listed?!

GoDaddy Help on X/Twitter asked for my Account Number and never got back to me. I've sent a follow-up message

Has anyone experienced this?! How did you resolve it?!

How does one check their portfolio of domains to see if there are other problems, without searching each one manually?!

THIS IS NOT RIGHT

I don't usually choose negative Tags, ⬇️ but I don't have time for this (chronically ill family member requires a lot of time) and it's frustrating that one has no control over a bogus listing of a domain they have purchased. So, I'm frustrated that one can be a customer for 15 years and no one cares enough to help

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm confused, concerned, and now very frustrated about a domain and my GD account ...

I purchased a hand registered domain in March 2023; I renewed it in March 2024.

It shows in my GD portfolio and is NOT listed for sale there.

But, it IS listed for sale at GoDaddy AUCTION for $2,495 (I DID NOT LIST IT FOR SALE)

I compared my GD account domain info to another one of my domains that is listed for sale. It gives the option to: Edit Listing

The domain I'm inquiring about gives the option to: Sell / List for Sale

I've double checked the spelling, but can't figure out how it is listed for sale, when I have NOT listed it.

Has my account been hacked?

How did this domain get listed for sale, yet I can not edit the sale?

I've contacted GoDaddy directly and via X/Twitter.

An email response was:

"
I don’t have the capabilities to dig into this from a system perspective but it sounds like the domain was listed for sale before you registered or acquired it, and it is an old listing.

By default, once a domain expires, it isn’t automatically removed from marketplaces – whether that’s GoDaddy Auctions, Afternic, Sedo, Dan, SquadHelp, etc. Given the number of domains acquired and sold each day, this scenario does happen.

However, if you’re concerned about your account’s security, I’d encourage you to reach out to GoDaddy’s support team as soon as possible."

No offer to forward my request for help to one that could help me.

I HAND REG'd the domain. IF it was previously listed for sale, WHY do marketplaces leave them up and how does a new owner get the listing deleted if we don't know where the domain was listed?!

GoDaddy Help on X/Twitter asked for my Account Number and never got back to me. I've sent a follow-up message

Has anyone experienced this?! How did you resolve it?!

How does one check their portfolio of domains to see if there are other problems, without searching each one manually?!

THIS IS NOT RIGHT

I don't usually choose negative Tags, ⬇️ but I don't have time for this (chronically ill family member requires a lot of time) and it's frustrating that one has no control over a bogus listing of a domain they have purchased. So, I'm frustrated that one can be a customer for 15 years and no one cares enough to help

Yes, this happens frequently. Rather than searching manually one-by-one, I recommend using GoDaddy's bulk search. https://www.godaddy.com/domains/bulk-domain-search

If it is strictly a GoDaddy auction listing, you could try contacting them. I believe [email protected] works. If the name is listed more broadly via GoDaddy's Afternic network, you might also want to email [email protected]. Ask that the outdated listing be removed.

•••
Hi @Maggie Mae
Aftermarket listings at GoDaddy.com can appear from listings from two pathways: Afternic (which syndicates listings to GoDaddy Auctions, too), and Dan.com (through its Afternic Distribution Network syndication).

As @Garet says, reaching out to Afternic's team (afternic.com/contact) or Dan.com's team (dan.com/contact) will help you to resolve this.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Maggie Mae
Aftermarket listings at GoDaddy.com can appear from listings from two pathways: Afternic (which syndicates listings to GoDaddy Auctions, too), and Dan.com (through its Afternic Distribution Network syndication).

As @Garet says, reaching out to Afternic's team (afternic.com/contact) or Dan.com's team (dan.com/contact) will help you to resolve this.

How can the domain be previously listed with an auction if I purchased it as a hand-reg domain on GoDaddy. I use the search bar and hand reg the domain. HAD the domain been previously listed by a former owner, it would have shown then that I could purchase it in auction, I would not have been able to hand-reg. This is not making sense and GoDaddy is sending me on a hunt to find the source. WHAT happens if the domain is purchased in the meantime?

I am very frustrated with GoDaddy; GD is the registrar I purchased through and y'all are just ... go find it yourself. UNREAL and really sloppy customer support!

•••
How can the domain be previously listed with an auction if I purchased it as a hand-reg domain on GoDaddy. I use the search bar and hand reg the domain. HAD the domain been previously listed by a former owner, it would have shown then that I could purchase it in auction, I would not have been able to hand-reg. This is not making sense and GoDaddy is sending me on a hunt to find the source. WHAT happens if the domain is purchased in the meantime?

I am very frustrated with GoDaddy; GD is the registrar I purchased through and y'all are just ... go find it yourself. UNREAL and really sloppy customer support!

GoDaddy's registration path is not the best or most reliable. I see names pretty much every day that are offered as premium listings that I know are bogus. Your situation is not at all uncommon. It is sloppy and this does put the burden on you to work to remove the outdated/invalid listing. GoDaddy knows this happens. Do they care? I don't think so. There are great people who work there that do care but overall the organization is oversized and arrogant.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back