Dynadot

Is .Mobi Already Dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
snoop said:
It is still undecided, the battle is between m. and mobile. All the major Internet co's are using one or the other. We've gone over this before....many times.
Not wanting to enter the mobile debate,

This relates to mobile web but is not taking sides, it is just snoop comment made me think of something:

If I had say a website say asdfasdy.com

to cover any subdomain confusion:

I would make m.asdfasdy.com as the main mobile site

Then I would also make subdomain mobile.asdfasdy.com and redirect that to m.asdfasdy.com

I would also make URL mobile page asdfasdy.com/mobile and asdfasdy.com/m and redirect them to m.asdfasdy.com

If poonk.mobi was available I may consider purchasing that too and redirecting it to m.asdfasdy.com

Not only is this whole operation less time consuming to do as one might think, it would mean people would pretty much land on my m.asdfasdy.com no matter what they type in

All in around 20 minutes work setting up the subdomains, redirect pages etc. So really confusion on the mobile web does not need to exist IMO

Last edited:
•••
snoop said:
It is still undecided, the battle is between m. and mobile. All the major Internet co's are using one or the other. We've gone over this before....many times.
And some people still don't get it. M. or mobile only work for companies which already have branded sites. That means that from here on out, any person or company without a web address needs to purchase a .com, .net...in order to create a mobile site. But what if a new company only wants to create a mobile site? What if a new company cannot afford a .com with which to channel mobile content through?

The internet in its entirety is very young. Many companies and individuals will enter the space over the next several years. They all cannot afford a great keyword .com! They will look elsewhere and with the mobile space growing, it will be .mobi. Tell me what other address newcomers can use to create exclusive mobile content? In the future, not everyone will need a traditional website. There will simply be enough people accessing the web via mobile to make owning a traditional site worthwhile.

For existing .com owners m. may be fine. For everyone else getting in from now until the end of time, mobi is an obvious choice!

raredn.com said:
Not wanting to enter the mobile debate,

This relates to mobile web but is not taking sides, it is just snoop comment made me think of something:

If I had say a website say poonk.com

to cover any subdomain confusion:

I would make m.poonk.com as the main mobile site

Then I would also make subdomain mobile.poonk.com and redirect that to m.poonk.com

I would also make URL mobile page poonk.com/mobile and poonk.com/m and redirect them to m.poonk.com

If poonk.mobi was available I may consider purchasing that too and redirecting it to m.poonk.com

Not only is this whole operation less time consuming to do as one might think, it would mean people would pretty much land on my m.poonk.com no matter what they type in

All in around 20 minutes work setting up the subdomains, redirect pages etc. So really confusion on the mobile web does not need to exist IMO
The question is, what if you do not already own a .com, .net or any other traditional ext? Then what do you do if you want to provide mobile content? Think long term and how the internet continues to grow out of control. People or new companies may opt to bypass owning a traditional site because so many people can be reached via mobile. Thus, a traditional site is not necessary.

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I always felt the only value for .mobi domains would be for the "true" end user. Meaning, established companies that have a large financial and economic presence and want an alternate site for their customers. This also makes it more difficult for domainers to buy and sell .mobi sites, mainly because these established companies already hold trademarks on their names. So, if they needed the .mobi they would be more likely to obtain it through legal means rather than buying it from a domainer.

Also for us regular domainers and web developers, the majority of which generate our incomes through ad revenue and affiliate sales, mobile sites are extremely difficult to monetize. Serving ads or completing affiliate sales on a mobile site is damn near pointless. It is for this reason that I believe for the average domainer, .mobi was dead from the start.

Just my 2 cents. :p

•••
keithmt said:
Tell me what other address newcomers can use to create exclusive mobile content?

For the sake of argument ... because the established companies (the ones currently developing and promoting their respective M.DOT's!) are just a wee bit more important in this context ... perhaps these so-called newcomers won't be seeking great "keyword" .COM's that may be expensive ... who knows ... perhaps good, brandable .COM domains may suffice that may very well be affordable (or "keyword" / comparable .NET's, or .ORG's, or even new and highly brandable .TEL's, and upcoming .WEB's, .MO's, .MOBILE's, .CELL's, etc.), IMHO. :|

How many of these visionary newcomers / developers / End users actually purchased generic "dot Mobeys" at auction at either Traffic or Sedo ... that are now fully developed and compliant for exclusive use by those that are "on the go", and are now being promoted as such to the masses?!? IYHO. :blink:

For everyone else getting in from now until the end of time, mobi is an obvious choice!

Herein is one of the MAJOR problems for the dwindling "dot Mobey" ... it is hardly a natural or obvious choice for those wishing to get in, IMHO. It is HIGHLY PROBLEMATIC from a branding perpective ... clumsy and long at four letters and two syllables, and unnatural as a made-up and an unheard-of abbreviation for "Mobile", and, obviously, awkward! Compared it with, say, ".WEB" ... imagine "Maps.mobi" being advertised on the radio - that's "maps dot mobey", folks! :o
Failing the rudimentary radio test is Marketing 101 ... again, hardly an obvious choice for those who care to look at it objectively and with so many new TLD's in the mobile-themed arena forthcoming! :red:
I would appreciate Pinky candidly and thoroughly addressing this BRANDING / marketing nightmare as I and many others see it, as well as the new and diluting mobile-related TLD's on the horizon, as well! :yell:

Thank you.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
keithmt said:
There is still no clear cut way to access the mobile web.
It's simple, you can use a server side script that detects browser type and directs users to content with the appropriate doctype.

•••
keithmt said:
That means that from here on out, any person or company without a web address needs to purchase a .com, .net...in order to create a mobile site. But what if a new company only wants to create a mobile site? What if a new company cannot afford a .com with which to channel mobile content through?

I agree,

I think that .mobi will be essentialy be an alt tld for mobile only sites which seems to be what you are arguing? This is basically how .biz, .info and .us have ended up also in my view.

•••
snoop said:
keithmt said:
That means that from here on out, any person or company without a web address needs to purchase a .com, .net...in order to create a mobile site. But what if a new company only wants to create a mobile site? What if a new company cannot afford a .com with which to channel mobile content through?

I agree,

I think that .mobi will be essentialy be an alt tld for mobile only sites which seems to be what you are arguing? This is basically how .biz, .info and .us have ended up also in my view.

Finally something both sides can agree on. .MOBI is perfect for the new company offering exclusively mobile content and services. Everyone else is could just put "m." in front of their existing domains and redirect the other mobile addressing alternatives to it.

Hurray for the mobile web.

RJ

•••
-RJ- said:
Finally something both sides can agree on. .MOBI is perfect for the new company offering exclusively mobile content and services. Everyone else is could just put "m." in front of their existing domains and redirect the other mobile addressing alternatives to it.

RJ

I don't think it is as perfect (long way from that), I just see it being used as an alt tld, like some people might use a .info or .us domain today.

•••
its not m. or mobile. its WFURL for the future.

•••
Me thinks "Pinky" is facing the sack :blink: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
•••
To all the naysayers in this thread, and the countless other similar threads cluttering up this board;

when you are old and grey, and you look back on your lives and wonder "why wasn't I more successful....?", remember the time and energy that you wasted on this subject, that you apparently have no vested interest in....

That is why I no longer read your drivel, and I have made this post as a wake up call for you to do something constructive, for yourselves, and your children. Work on what you believe in; not what you don't.

The hours of negativity expended on subject is incredible. I assume that Jess has no life other than on NP, but for the rest, there may still be hope that you can achieve something....

•••
Jasdon said:
......remember the time and energy that you wasted on this subject, that you apparently have no vested interest in....

....That is why I no longer read your drivel

Is this the pot calling the kettle black?

If you no longer read this "drivel" how come you keep posting in this thread?

•••
Jasdon said:
... I assume that Jess has no life other than on NP, but for the rest, there may still be hope that you can achieve something....

Another case of entirely veering off topic (with a bonus personal assault, to boot) ... please PLEASE take your immaturity elsewhere where this type of unprofessionalism is tolerated, if not encouraged! :tri: :imho:

-RJ- said:

Touche, thanks RJ! :music:

See you soon,
-Jeff B-)

•••
snoop said:
Is this the pot calling the kettle black?

If you no longer read this "drivel" how come you keep posting in this thread?

I don't have to read the crap, to be able make my post above. BTW, this is my 5th and last post to this thread - you're upto about 13.

Jeff said:
Another case of entirely veering off topic (with a bonus personal assault, to boot) ... please PLEASE take your immaturity elsewhere where this type of unprofessionalism is tolerated, if not encouraged! :tri: :imho:

Touche, thanks RJ! :music:

See you soon,
-Jeff B-)

Still smarting all these years after being booted off dnf...?

I guess this is the only place that'll have you, huh - hence the #1 grovelling.

Last post, so don't bother replying.

•••
Jasdon said:
Last post, so don't bother replying.

^ Good riddance, friend! _\|/_

-Jeff B-)

•••
•••
Can't we all just get along?

:hearts:

Attachments

• I Love Dot Mobey.jpg
    I Love Dot Mobey.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
•••
There is only one web.
There is a number of phones that are incapable of browsing regular websites at the moment (How many of these people actually browse the web through the internet? Not just the email or some statistics). It's the device problem. However, we are seeing improvement and advancement in cell phone and its browser. There is already a variety of smart phones available that can view full website with ease.
If an extension's viability depends on the technology to hold still in time, then it is not a good news.

Last edited:
•••
Demographics! $$$.

mrdomainman said:
If an extension's viability depends on the technology to hold still in time, then it is not a good news.

^ Exactly ... it's also a matter of demographics (and :$: economics); Those that don't have iPhones (which, back to topic, really is the number #1 killer of the "dot Mobey"), Instincts, Blackberrys, etc. and other web-enabled smart phones proll'y don't have an heck of a lot of disposable income, IMHO. "dot Mobey" is catering to these very folks on the lower end of the spectrum - here in a climate of swift advances in devices and technologies - with these silly, dummied-down "sites"! :tri:
How is, then, someone (future End user / developer) who may be considering building an "dot Mobey" site supposed to efficiently and optimally monetize and make money off that "watered down" site, poorer demographic? :|
IYHO's?!?

Think about it ... not only is it an inherently long, clumsy and unprofessional extension, it's by it's very nature lower socio-economically tier'd and not commericially (which .COM really stands for!) viable for either the present or the future! :guilty: :imho:

Thanks for listening.
-Jeff B-)

•••
If Monkeys were able to eat and eat and eat... what would happen to the Monkey with out a Mouth?

•••
Jeff said:
IMHO. "dot Mobey" is catering to these very folks on the lower end of the spectrum - here in a climate of swift advances in devices and technologies - with these silly, dummied-down "sites"! :tri:
How is, then, someone (future End user / developer) who may be considering building an "dot Mobey" site supposed to efficiently and optimally monetize and make money off that "watered down" site, poorer demographic? :|
IYHO's?!?
I suppose the same can be said about m.domain.com. :gl: At the same time, a domain extension specifically for mobile devices certainly doesn't help us with innovation and pushing mobile manufacturers to bring the Web to their devices.

I agree, though; "mobile-enabled" sites shouldn't even be an option today. Mobiles are coming to the Web; the Web itself is not and should not be going mobile and catering to mobile devices. :imho: That's the way of the past. Devices like the iPhone will continue to change the way the Web on mobile devices works.

•••
Jeff said:
IYHO's?!?

That's the big problem I see with the development of a mobile only website.
How are you supposed to effectively monetize it?

Etab said:
I suppose the same can be said about m.domain.com. :gl: At the same time, a domain extension specifically for mobile devices certainly doesn't help us with innovation and pushing mobile manufacturers to bring the Web to their devices.

I agree, though; "mobile-enabled" sites shouldn't even be an option today. Mobiles are coming to the Web; the Web itself is not and should not be going mobile and catering to mobile devices. :imho: That's the way of the past. Devices like the iPhone will continue to change the way the Web on mobile devices works.

I agree.

•••
Etab said:

I agree ... and admit that we're currently (and yet even this is rapidly coming to closure) in a period of transition and experimentation, IMHO. However, the future is FREEDOM and thus an unrestricted, FULL web experience! :talk: :music: :imho:

:bingo:

Have a good one, Steve! :great:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
I agree ... and admit that we're currently (and yet even this is rapidly coming to closure) in a period of transition and experimentation, IMHO. However, the future is FREEDOM and thus an unrestricted, FULL web experience! :talk: :music: :imho:

:bingo:

Have a good one, Steve! :great:
-Jeff B-)

Jeff you should add another Big company to your sig. of those that didn't drink Pinky's Kool-Aid.

m.myspace.com

Last edited:
•••
cosmicray said:
Jeff you should add another Big company to you sig. that didn't drink Pinky's Kool-Aid.
m.myspace.com

^ :hehe:

PS. Google my text link, ".mobi discussion" as well! :gl: :D

PPS. Back to the hammock, enjoy friends! :music:
-Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back