NameSilo

Is .Mobi Already Dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
GF said:
Careful, Duke... You're going to start some madness! 8-X
no, he will not

he is just asking... no problem in asking

i do not think .mobi is dead
of course, there are things hapening behind the scenes but most of the people are not aware
besides, there have been development in the extension and i believe people want to see fast results and forget .mobi has 2 years

•••
I have a few decent .mobi's that I got during the land rush. Now 2 years later with the development of faster and more user friendly phones I don't see the long term need for .mobi

•••
Yeah, thats old news.. Mobi never going to last. Totally unneeded..

Now the mobi fanatics going to copy and paste a bunch of lousy wikipedia articles saying that mobi will get huge.. IT WONT.

RIP!

•••
.mobi is not only dead - it was never alive!!! An absolute disaster of an extension. :yell: :hi: :$: :$:

•••
This will get ugly. LOL

•••
quality said:
.mobi is not only dead - it was never alive!!! An absolute disaster of an extension. :yell: :hi: :$: :$:

:notme:

:hehe:

•••
•••
-RJ- said:
Is anyone here attending this S.E.S. show in San Jose next month?

Are you nuts? They are sure to be using live ammunition on both sides with that .mobi is dead seminar on the agenda. I wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire. :)

You can be our eyes and ears, but please wear a helmet!

By the way, on the mobile website topic, I just saw a big ad in our local newspaper (The Tampa Tribune) this morning promoting their new mobile website for TBO.com (their web property, short for Tampa Bay Online). They are doing a specially designed site for mobile but the URL they are using is a subdomain:
http://m.tbo.com/

This seems to be exactly what the SES panelists are promoting (serving regular and mobile versions of the site from the same .com address using a subdomain rather than .mobi).

Last edited:
•••
was dot mobi ever alive...
Is it going to survive
Let's ask Google...
'The Google' says ANDROID will come alive and the Internet won't be the same...
no room at the table for dot mobi

•••
-RJ- said:
Is anyone here attending this S.E.S. show in San Jose next month?

I really wanted to, but my wife and my anniversary is on the 20th.

•••
Duke said:
Are you nuts? They are sure to be using live ammunition on both sides with that .mobi is dead seminar on the agenda. I wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire.
it will surely be a great debate

i would really like to go and hear what they have to say but i live so far and job does not allow me
we learn a lot when we have different opinions

•••
Good news! .mobi is in the spotlight once again.
Should be a great debate. Someone should mention that companies can use a sub domain for their UK site. E.g. Ebay.com can simply use uk.ebay.com instead of ebay.co.uk.
Thanks for posting Duke :)

•••
I wonder if they'll have a metal detector at the entrance?

Could get real ugly... real fast.

But the writing has been on the wall... those who develop will probably survive.

•••
Today I just saw this huge poster filled with mobile phones and faces in them for

m.lavalife.com ... Check it out http://m.lavalife.com/

I guess they didn't drink the mobey Kool-Aid. :)

Last edited:
•••
INFORMATION on bus routes, train timetables and SmartRider balances are more accessible to Transperth patrons with a new mobile phone service.

Dot-mobi is a service which combines the internet and WAP (wireless application protocol) technology to provide all bus, train and ferry departure times and service news via your mobile phone.

To access the service you need a mobile that has been WAP-enabled to allow internet access.

Start up the internet browser on the mobile phone, then enter 136213.mobi in the address bar, and follow the prompts.

Public Transport Authority CEO Reece Waldock said the organisation was happy to embrace 21st century new media to provide a better service for its patrons.

“Basically, dot-mobi is an extension of the Transperth website,” he said.

“We launched the service – which reflects the Transperth InfoLine number, 13 62 13 – earlier this month and it has already proved to be very popular."

“We are also planning to introduce an SMS service in which the customer texts the bus stop number or station name to a certain number and receives an SMS with the times of the next few services.”

Train inquiries on the new dot-mobi service require the line, station and direction to be selected; bus inquiries need only the five-digit number of the bus-stop.

This will bring up the next 10 trips - clicking on a trip will bring up further details.

SmartRider users can find out their remaining credit by keying in the number of the card.

•••
Hmm... I'm 50/50 on going. It's within driving distance and looks like a good conference, aside from this session.

I guess if I end up going I should cover up the .mobi bumper sticker on my car.

•••
Unilever has created a .mobi site for its delicious and nutricious Pot Noodle snacks. Mmm, tasty.
The launch has been handled by mobile marketing agency AKQA Mobile, and provides free branded entertainment including the spoof ‘Tipping Pot’ film. This is estimated to have received over 2,000,000 views on and offline.

It also offers ringtones, competitions and other unique content. New content will be rolled out over the next six months.

The site is being supported by a partnership with The Sun newspaper and via Bluepod Bluetooth activity in Cineworld and Vue cinemas around the UK.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/static/images/news/30791/2995_pot.jpg

•••
You have a .mobi bumper sticker :o

What are your views on .mobi RJ?

Would be real interesting to know...

•••
mwzd said:

It is not polite to ask a man where he stands on religion, politics or .mobi :)

•••
Just reading over the agenda again. It sure sounds like it's a proclamation that the entire "mobile web" is dead, not just the .mobi poster child.

SES said:
Mobile SEO: Death of the '.mobi'
The 'one web' premise of the iPhone generation of connected devices offers a stark contrast to the former mobile standard, in which webmasters created a separate '.mobi' site, to specifically target mobile users. This session will outline what you can expect in the mobile space and how search marketers can use one site to leverage both mobile and traditional web search.

This session will articulate the impact that these devices are having on mobile web use, adoption and search. It will provide a comprehensive list of best practices to make existing websites optimized and mobile-ready. The session will also provide specific recommendations to improve mobile ranking and click-through.
Speakers:

* Dhana Pawar, Co-Founder & VP Products, Yojo Mobile
* Cindy Krum, Senior SEO Analyst, Blue Moon Works, Inc.

•••
dotMobi has a fantastic position at the very centre of the most exciting tidal wave to hit marketing since the web: the mobile web. The company – backed by fourteen major players in the mobile internet, from Ericsson and Microsoft, to Google, Nokia, Visa and Vodafone - exists to promote best practice in mobile websites, help developers create better mobile experiences and get the world to use the .mobi domain name for all their mobile sites.

.mobi is the only top-level domain specifically for mobile websites. It tells the user that the site they’re about to experience is designed with mobile devices in mind and, more importantly, with mobile users in mind. It’s a great idea and a powerful way to help accelerate the mobile web.

dotMobi does a lot to help the developer community make better mobile sites, with its rich developer resource dev.mobi. Now it’s time to make sure all the big brands and their agencies understand the importance of designing specific mobile experiences instead of expecting their .com site to serve mobile users. Part of this is to use the .mobi name for their new mobile-optimized sites.

To spearhead this effort, dotMobi has turned to Velocity, the B2B technology marketing agency. “Velocity gets mobile, gets marketing and has great ideas about reaching the marketing community with the dotMobi story,” said Amy Mischler, VP of Identity and Brand Services, “Their ideas are spot-on and their enthusiasm is obvious.”

•••
Duke said:
mwzd said:

:lol: No, I don't really mind.

I've already expressed my opinion on .mobi several times before :hehe:

And yes, I do have a .mobi bumper sticker. Got it at one of the conferences.

•••
Duke said:

Duke I loved how clear Rick Schwartz was concerning the new vTLDs

Any chance you can get an exclusive scoop on where The King of

Domains stands today on .mobi ? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back