Dynadot

Is .Mobi Already Dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cosmicray said:
Jeff you should add another Big company to you sig. that didn't drink Pinky's Kool-Aid.

m.myspace.com

I've seen some myspace ads within cell phone ads in subway stations.

It just says that you can go to myspace.com on mobile device.

I guess it automatically redirects.

•••
mrdomainman said:

How can anyone make an intelligent argument for .mobi having a bright future? Am I missing something?

•••
There is no intelligent argument for .mobi. Only hype hype and more hype....
I challenge a .mobi supporter to name ONE .MOBI site worth looking at they all look crap :p :p :kickass:

•••
mrdomainman said:

The future is all redirects ... Pinky forgot to tell us this ... he is actually

selling a very expensive redirect service.

•••
WGS_Thunder said:
How can anyone make an intelligent argument for .mobi having a bright future? Am I missing something?

If you read some of keithmt's posts - he makes some intelligent arguments in favor of .Mobi.

I wanted to make sure to point out a :great: since you mentioned this common complaint among these threads.

- GF

•••
quality said:
I challenge a .mobi supporter to name ONE .MOBI site worth looking at they all look crap :p :p :kickass:

Perhaps they are nothing to look at, but they are extremely functional, like www.hilton.mobi or www.fidelity.mobi

They are very functional, but not much to "look at".

•••
quality said:

you own crap.web.com - get your facts together :!:

•••
GF said:
If you read some of keithmt's posts - he makes some intelligent arguments in favor of .Mobi.

I wanted to make sure to point out a :great: since you mentioned this common complaint among these threads.

- GF
Thanks GF!

As far as Cosmicrays post about the future being all re-directs...a re-direct can only take place if there is an existing site to point at a mobile device. That leaves the door wide open in the future for new domainers and companies to create sites strictly made for mobile. A subdomain cannot be used in this case.

Forget about companies that already exist. New companies sprout up all the time and could become overnight sensations. Look at the youtube timeline and how they quickly reached major success. It's all about the future not what has already been created!

•••
HeyNow said:
Perhaps they are nothing to look at, but they are extremely functional, like www.hilton.mobi or www.fidelity.mobi

They are very functional, but not much to "look at".

Both look crap and both are redirects!! They don't brand themselves using .mobi :imho: :imho:

•••
quality said:
Both look crap and both are redirects!! They don't brand themselves using .mobi :imho: :imho:

auto.web.com
bet.web.com
cars.web.com
computer.web.com
dating.web.com
finance.web.com
gambling.web.com
jobs.web.com
hotel.web.com
insurance.web.com
internet.web.com
loans.web.com
mortgage.web.com
music.web.com
property.web.com
sex.web.com
shop.web.com
sport.web.com
travel.web.com

what do you call your own domains CRAP AS WELL?

•••
•••
Just running the latest .mobi survey and so far, 87.94% of .mobi domains resolve to IP level. The web survey part is running now. The 87.94% resolution is quite good though it is mainly due to the way domain registration is automated. When registered, many domains are automatically set up with a website/holding page and or mailserver. The key part is how the websites are used. That analysis will take a few days. However I did get the "1 million mobile websites" line from someone recently. Unlike the true believers, I have to deal with the evidence. And very few TLDs have 100% usage. In a gTLD, the web development percentage is far less than that. It would be doing well if it was above 20% as that would be moving into ccTLD percentages. The harsh reality of the domains business is that most domains will never be developed and will drop without ever being developed.

Regards...jmcc

•••
keithmt said:
Thanks GF!

As far as Cosmicrays post about the future being all re-directs...a re-direct can only take place if there is an existing site to point at a mobile device. That leaves the door wide open in the future for new domainers and companies to create sites strictly made for mobile. A subdomain cannot be used in this case.

Forget about companies that already exist. New companies sprout up all the time and could become overnight sensations. Look at the youtube timeline and how they quickly reached major success. It's all about the future not what has already been created!

hmm
but aren't every sites out there also potential "mobile sites" in the near future?
I say this because we're going to have mobile device capable of viewing every single website you and I browse on the net using our pc/laptop.
If we are tapping into some sort of a different cyber space where only .mobi /wap/m/mobile sites are allowed, then it'll make sense, but we are just trying to browse existing web space through a medium/mobile device that may not support it yet. Therefore, it's primarily the mobile device problem. However, like I've mentioned it before, the mobile devices along with their browsers are improving.

•••
mrdomainman said:
keithmt said:
Thanks GF!

hmm
but aren't every sites out there also potential "mobile sites" in the near future?
I say this because we're going to have mobile device capable of viewing every single website you and I browse on the net using our pc/laptop.
If we are tapping into some sort of a different cyber space where only .mobi /wap/m/mobile sites are allowed, then it'll make sense, but we are just trying to browse existing web space through a medium/mobile device that may not support it yet. Therefore, it's primarily the mobile device problem. However, like I've mentioned it before, the mobile devices along with their browsers are improving.

it's not about mobile device capable of viewing every single website, they already achieved that long before dotMobi was born (zoom and unzoom and scrolling). Advancing software based technology still can't beat the ultimate physical limitation - SMALL SCREEN!!! just MHO

•••
mkylut said:
it's not about mobile device capable of viewing every single website, they already achieved that long before dotMobi was born (zoom and unzoom). Advancing software based technology still can't beat the ultimate physical limitation - SMALL SCREEN!!! just MHO

iphone and iphone like smart phones along with the ones focusing on cell web browsing started to get released in the 2007 after .mobi has been released.
I'm not sure about zoom and unzoom tech as I haven't really browsed websites through mobile device (my old phone) in 2006.
I do know that mobile web browsers have been improving and advancing since then.

The new phones focusing on web browsing capability make it so that the user is comfortable with the screen while surfing.
If you look at the new phones where a lot of people like to surf web with, the screen size isn't that bad.

For the freedom and unrestricted web, it's well worth the cost imo.

As for the older phones with smaller screen and poor browser technology, how many people actually surf the web with it? If so, what types of site do they go to? How frequently?
If they start to surf a lot on the old phone, will he/she eventually switch to a smart phone to get a better web experience?

Last edited:
•••
WGS_Thunder said:

^ You haven't missed anything, IMHO. :blink:

There are a couple ".mobi enthusiasts" such as W.I.P. and Coast who provide somewhat compelling and definitely passionate arguments for the DEVELOPMENTS of the ".mobi" here in the present (in fact, also looking back nearly two years as well) for the future! :gl: :imho:

Other than these two true professionals (versus the sandbox mentality and tantrums that we typically see from this tiny niche), I have not seen even ONE intelligent, heartfelt, convincing, and mature post that adequately addresses the multitude of very alarming QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS that are, and have been, increasingly plaguing the "dot Mobey" extension ... and the well chronicled foibles of mTLD ... and it's future in the face of the indisputable FACTS (in just two examples, such as mTLD not enforcing the development mandates! and severe lack of critical stand-alone developments, End user adoption, and awareness)! :guilty: :imho:
Once again, here for the #1 Community ... I would appreciate that these mounting questions and concerns be addressed in a prompt and professional manner! :yell: :snaphappy:

Thanks for listening. :imho:
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Number of new .mobi domains between 01/June/2008 and 01/July/2008: 30211
Number of deleted .mobi domains in same period: 17149

From the registration point of view, .mobi is not dead. The Junk Dump is about to happen in the next few months on the anniversary of the landrush. This will knock a lot of the highly speculative and utterly unsellable .mobi domains out of the system. After the Junk Dump, development generally improves. I haven't completed the processing on the latest .mobi web survey yet. However I just deal with the evidence and statistics. I don't think that .mobi is dead. I do think that some people have very unrealistic expectations of .mobi mTLD and get very emotional when defending it.

Regards...jmcc

•••
.mobi is dead dead and more dead. It died of its own artificial hype....flowers.mobi $200,000 what would it fetch today $5,000 from some sucker??? There is a lot more pain ahead for holders of this lld "low level domain". Most Obselete Bullshit (on) Internet. :lol: :lol: :laugh:

•••
quality said:
flowers.mobi $200,000 what would it fetch today $5,000 from some sucker???

Maybe you can sell the same "sucker" your web.com names :hehe:

•••
quality said:
.mobi is dead dead and more dead. It died of its own artificial hype....flowers.mobi $200,000 what would it fetch today $5,000 from some sucker??? There is a lot more pain ahead for holders of this lld "low level domain". Most Obselete Bullshit (on) Internet. :lol: :lol: :laugh:

class

•••
namewaiter said:

The irony of someone with a signature full of web.com names posting that the .mobi is dead has got to be the funniest thing I have seen all week. I'm sure I'll still be laughing at that one tomorrow. :hehe:

•••
quality said:

This, coming from the ".Web.Com Guy"

•••
quality said:
You do realize that every one of your .web.com names is literally worth nothing. I would hurry up and change that sig :hehe: And while your at it, stop down playing an ext that at least has some value.

http://www.bl0g.co.uk/080305/CentralNIC_ends_.web.com_Domain_TLD/

This link is ALL I could find about .web.com and it does'nt look good!

•••
Please stay on topic in the future!

Perhaps member quality - in the future - might wish to rethink his choice of words here (ie, not using such harsh terms as "s*cker" and "bullsh*t", etc.), but sure as I sit here today ... this thread topic and discussion is NOT about the "web.com" - the topic is the ".MOBI being dead" or not dead, depending on how one looks at it, and the facts IMHO. :gl:

Now, no less than FOUR straight ".mobi enthusiasts" again attacking the poster gangstyle for the off topic "web.com" illustrates to me that again we're back to this niche following's sand/playbox and tantrums - please address - with substance - the ongoing questions and concerns that have literally DESTROYED the lowly "dot Mobey" extension, as well as the credibility of mTLD (and some of those enthusiasts again posting in immature gang style, as well)! :sick: :yell: :imho:

Thank you for staying on topic, and for understanding.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Jeff said:
Perhaps member quality - in the future - might wish to rethink his choice of words here (ie, not using such terms as "sucker" and "bullsh*t", etc.), but sure as I sit here today ... this discussion is NOT about the "web.com" - the topic is the .MOBI being dead or not dead, depending on how one looks at it, and the facts IMHO.

Now FOUR straight ".mobi enthusiasts" attacking the poster for the off topic "web.com" illustrates to me that again we're back to the sandox and tantrums - please address - with substance - the ongoing questions and concerns that have DESTROYED the lowly "dot Mobey" extension, as well as the credibility of mTLD! :yell: :imho:

Thank you for staying on topic, and for understanding.
-Jeff B-)
It just shows that those people who think
they know it all really have no clue!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back