Dynadot

Does HugeDomains drop domains?

NameSilo
Watch

VikingPolvi

Impact
I happened to whois a couple of domains today that my friend used to own before he let them drop a long time ago, and discovered that they were both now owned by HugeDomains. However the expiry date for both of them was around a month ago, which made me curious about whether they might be dropped soon and therefore possible for me to obtain the domains for something less than the extortionate amount HugeDomains is currently asking for them.

Both of them are .com domains and were previously used for fairly small-scale sites, but they've only been owned by resellers for the last 15 years now and whatever few backlinks remain are themselves from long-dead pages. I don't think anyone besides me would ever be interested in owning the domains, and even I would only be interested for nostalgia value. But I don't know how HugeDomains would view them.

Does the whois result showing expiry dates of a month ago mean HugeDomains is not renewing the domains? Or is this just a common thing and they'll renew at the very last minute?

If they aren't renewing the domains, I assume I'll be able to tell from the registrar info changing when is an appropriate time to try backorders without alerting HugeDomains to the fact the domains might have some small value still.

Any help or advice appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes they are. Except they are Verisign or F*deral res*rve owner

I've seen they let expired registered domains for:

1 year registered
2 year registered
And so on
But mostly looks like 5-7 years

Deciding by how beautiful the domain name, trend change for the niche, or traffic

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
If domains expire they will go to dropcatch list and be backordered by someone or themselves.
Most of those domains belong to their customers and some belong to them, I was able to hand reg some of their dropping jewels, but you might do a backorder just to make sure no one else gets them.

•••
Upvote 0
They
I was able to hand reg some of their dropping jewels
The majority of their domains are garbage. probably 90%, ordinary 2 word combinations, not even successfully combined most of the times.. Their pricing also seems random for 95% of their domains like they are trying to push the buyers to buy 2-3K domains and feel they got a bargain, since some of their names sell for 10-15K

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
They

The majority of their domains are garbage. probably 90%, ordinary 2 word combinations, not even successfully combined most of the times.. Their pricing also seems random for 95% of their domains like they are trying to push the buyers to buy 2-3K domains and feel they got a bargain, since some of their names sell for 10-15K
It is very good that you consider that most of them are garbage, this gives me more chances to reg the remaining secret related domain names, so thank you for that!

•••
Upvote 0
Yep, loads of my old domains were owned by them when I checked on the internet archives

•••
Upvote 0
Yep, loads of my old domains were owned by them when I checked on the internet archives
How did you then get those domains? Did you backorder them or did they get deleted completely before you re-registered them?

•••
Upvote 0
How did you then get those domains? Did you backorder them or did they get deleted completely before you re-registered them?
found them on expireddomains.net. When I checked on internet archives, I saw that they were previously for sale by huge domains

•••
Upvote 0
They

Maybe its garbage for you
But its gold for someone, that willing to pay $2,000< for it

Some are generic words
But some looks like also SEO domain, traffoc domains, etc

HugeDomains already running, for about a decade?
If they are not smarter than us, maybe they just using l*undry m*ney?

•••
Upvote 0
Does the whois result showing expiry dates of a month ago mean HugeDomains is not renewing the domains? Or is this just a common thing and they'll renew at the very last minute?
Yes, they're on auto-renewal. There's no point in registering a domain for more than one year at a time if you intend to sell it. Because if you renew the domain for 10 years and then sell it the this year you will have wasted money on 9 extra years.

Also, close expiration dates are good, because it means that potential clients will keep an eye on them. Hoping that they'll drop before giving in and reaching out to you.

•••
Upvote 0
Yes, they're on auto-renewal. There's no point in registering a domain for more than one year at a time if you intend to sell it. Because if you renew the domain for 10 years and then sell it the this year you will have wasted money on 9 extra years.

Also, close expiration dates are good, because it means that potential clients will keep an eye on them. Hoping that they'll drop before giving in and reaching out to you.
If they were on auto-renewal wouldn't they renew on the expiry date? The domains in question have both passed their expiry dates by quite some time.

•••
Upvote 0
If they were on auto-renewal wouldn't they renew on the expiry date? The domains in question have both passed their expiry dates by quite some time.
Yes they would. If the domains are pending delete then there's a good chance that they've been dropped.

•••
Upvote 0
Yes they would. If the domains are pending delete then there's a good chance that they've been dropped.
Right now they're just coming up to the end of the 45 day grace period after the expiry date.

Actually, as I say that, one has just been put up for pre-release auction on DropCatch. I'm assuming that's either them trying to see if there is any interest that would make the domain worth re-registering, or them trying to get any value at all out of the domain.

I wish there was some way to know which of those it was. But I guess all I can do is bid what I'm willing to pay and let them decide if they feel like selling or not.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
If the domains are pending delete then there's a good chance that they've been dropped.

PendingDelete means the domain will be dropped. No way to restore/renew at that point.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back