IT.COM

new gtlds This $20 billion company uses a new TLD for its website, and…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
What’s surprising is that it seems to be basing its business on a .technology domain name. As the listener pointed out, DXC.com now forwards to DXC.technology.
So a $20 billion company is using DXC.technology, paid a big sum for DXC.com, and doesn’t own DXC.tech!
Now, the merger just went through so the company’s branding and domain choice might be in flux. But based on the logo (pictured) the company seems to be embracing .technology...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also anyone saying that they are losing traffic to the .com has no idea what they are talking about. They OWN the .com and are forwarding the traffic to their preferred extension. They aren't losing any traffic whatsoever, merely directing it to the tld their company has chosen to operate under as .technology perfectly describes what their company specializes in.
Of course they cover all bases, but if you need the matching .com in addition to the new gTLD to mitigate traffic bleed, it kinda defeats the purpose of new extensions. Might as well stay on .com.

Actually they are still taking a chance imo. Because I wouldn't be surprised if they leak traffic to dxctechnology.com, that they don't own (afaik). Also, E-mail is a common source of typos.

I have done some experiments and I see a lot of NXD requests at DNS level. Traffic leak is more widespread than people think.
dxc.com is a sweet domain, and it's easy to type. Their new URL is very prone to typos and longer than necessary. Unless maybe their ultimate plan is to resell their LLL.com later.

•••
Also anyone saying that they are losing traffic to the .com has no idea what they are talking about. They OWN the .com and are forwarding the traffic to their preferred extension. They aren't losing any traffic whatsoever, merely directing it to the tld their company has chosen to operate under as .technology perfectly describes what their company specializes in.

they do in fact not own the .com , see dxctechnology.com, not owned by them.

no they chose it because their brand name is "dxc technology". the idea that has been promoted by the registries that each TLD needs to be descriptive is nonsense and will never do well in the real world. It just diverts attention away from the brand name itself. Not what you want or need.

samsung.electronics
cocacola.softdrink
microsoft.software
KFC.fastfood

Not going to help.

Last edited:
•••
Of course they cover all bases, but if you need the matching .com in addition to the new gTLD to mitigate traffic bleed, it kinda defeats the purpose of new extensions. Might as well stay on .com.

Actually they are still taking a chance imo. Because I wouldn't be surprised if they leak traffic to dxctechnology.com, that they don't own (afaik). Also, E-mail is a common source of typos.

I have done some experiments and I see a lot of NXD requests at DNS level. Traffic leak is more widespread than people think.
dxc.com is a sweet domain, and it's easy to type. Their new URL is very prone to typos and longer than necessary. Unless maybe their ultimate plan is to resell their LLL.com later.

You bring some excellent points. Don't you think they've already assessed this though? I believe that assuming that they haven't thought about this would be naive. Especially considering the design and marketing expenditure spent to brand under the name dxc.technology. We should all consider the fact that they have made considerable inroads into accounting for all possible scenarios. If they fail in this experiment there is no direct recourse because everything reverts back to the 3L.com. In the end what they are doing is directing and shaping their traffic to become used to the new gtld. I believe this is a fairly progressive approach to the implementation of ngtlds in the mainstream. Albeit you need a good .com but at least they've designated the practical use of them in an innovative and inherently engaging manner. Kudos to them.

•••
There is one important fact of life that permeates through everything, for anything or anyone to advance it is required to evolve. All the greatest discoveries and inventions over the past few hundred years were NOT achieved by people who followed the rules, conformed to the status quo, coloured between the lines. It was done by people and companies who challenged the norm, who went against the grain and were bold enough to try something different.

•••
There is one important fact of life that permeates through everything, for anything or anyone to advance it is required to evolve. All the greatest discoveries and inventions over the past few hundred years were NOT achieved by people who followed the rules, conformed to the status quo, coloured between the lines. It was done by people and companies who challenged the norm, who went against the grain and were bold enough to try something different.

i agree with you but don't forget that most potential innovations fail. historically the odds are stacked against you.

also innovations are usually done by people who really want to change the world while the nGTLDs were launched to line the pockets of a few people.(moneygrab)

Last edited:
•••
i agree with you but don't forget that most potential innovations fail. historically the odds are stacked against you.

also innovations are usually done by people who really want to change the world while the nGTLDs were launched to line the pockets of a few people.(moneygrab)

All it takes is for a few of the visionary companies to pull it off and then other companies will adopt the usual sheep mentality and follow the leaders. What I think would likely happen is companies will own the .com's as well as their equivalent nGTLD. Some will direct their .com;s to the nGTLD's and some will do it vice versa... both scenarios will become perfectly acceptable.

•••
Exact matching is a super thing for SEO. With nGTLD exact matching is a Possibility and SEO is super super super important... :xf.grin:
nGTLD bashers are not defeated by nGTLD fans but they are simply defeated by SEO...
nGTLD bashers Vs SEO = A BIG LOSE for ngtld bashers :xf.laugh: No chance. HAHA
They can say what they want but they are the losers. :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
What is there to be discovered ? Technically new extensions work like any other extension. There is no technological shift.
Domainers tend to overplay the whole stuff. There is no new Internet, it's just branding.

•••
What is there to be discovered ? Technically new extensions work like any other extension. There is no technological shift.
Domainers tend to overplay the whole stuff. There is no new Internet, it's just branding.
Branding can be very powerful however.
The whole world is on birdfood since someone started hyping chia-seed. For years it was available in every petshop for peanuts and nobody cared.

Last edited:
•••
Exact matching is one of the big difference. nGTLD = Super super super SEO :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
its all about regular original content unfortunately..

•••
All it takes is for a few of the visionary companies to pull it off and then other companies will adopt the usual sheep mentality and follow the leaders. What I think would likely happen is companies will own the .com's as well as their equivalent nGTLD. Some will direct their .com;s to the nGTLD's and some will do it vice versa... both scenarios will become perfectly acceptable.

no it takes much more than that. Remember there were some visionary companies that went with a .tv for example. Does that mean that everything video or related to TV is now under .tv?

•••
no it takes much more than that. Remember there were some visionary companies that went with a .tv for example. Does that mean that everything video or related to TV is now under .tv?

Off course not but that also doesn't mean that everything TV related is now under .com

To expect total and complete change is being unrealistic. No one should expect that.

All that is needed is for the market to be created and be big enough to be sustainable. It does not need to be a dominant market. It does not need to have total mass appeal.. As long as there is demand there is a market... take stuff like body piercing as an example.. are they mainstream and does everyone want or have one? Nope, not at all.. does that mean that the marketplace doesn't exist? Nope.. it's a niche market and a very lucrative market for those involved... it's also a sustainable market.

•••

"Just Branding" - You mean just the one thing that could make or break a business?

Lol.. An entire INDUSTRY has been dominated and monopolized without the vast majority even knowing.. how did they do it?

Well..."just branding" (see clip below)

Last edited:
•••
Off course not but that also doesn't mean that everything TV related is now under .com

To expect total and complete change is being unrealistic. No one should expect that.

All that is needed is for the market to be created and be big enough to be sustainable. It does not need to be a dominant market. It does not need to have total mass appeal.. As long as there is demand there is a market... take stuff like body piercing as an example.. are they mainstream and does everyone want or have one? Nope, not at all.. does that mean that the marketplace doesn't exist? Nope.. it's a niche market and a very lucrative market for those involved... it's also a sustainable market.

finally we are getting to the point. there is one thing that some people miss.

.info is sustainable as a market right? mostly for the registry though. how many domainers make a living trading .info?

the point is that alternative, secondary choice aren't great for domainers because these markets are so small. the .com domain market is already very small. the nGTLD market will be much smaller and most terms will be owned by the registry. How do you people think you will be able to make money in a market like this?

you are dreaming that .whatever values will be on par or even superior to .com, in reality it will be much less and most terms will be reserved. this market will be so small. like .net only worse because the registry will do most of the big deals.

Last edited:
•••
I dont have a strong opinion and will just see what happens. But I do see a slow but gradual shift. I encountered several websites on ngtlds without searching for it. And I did a quick check on (accredited) lawfirms in my country, The Netherlands, regarding the extension .legal. At this moment 20+ lawfirms have their main website on a .legal. There are less than 5.000 lawfirms in The Netherlands. One can fairly assume that a firm will not have an urgent need to shift their existing site away from their .nl domain. So actually I was surprised to find so many firms with a main online presence on a .legal.

•••
finally we are getting to the point. there is one thing that some people miss.

.info is sustainable as a market right? mostly for the registry though. how many domainers make a living trading .info?

the point is that alternative, secondary choice aren't great for domainers because these markets are so small. the .com domain market is already very small. the nGTLD market will be much smaller and most terms will be owned by the registry. How do you people think you will be able to make money in a market like this?

How many domainers make a living of .info? -> How many domainers make a living of domaining period?

How do you people think you will be able to make money in a market like this?
Nobody says you should deal exclusively in nGTLD's - It should be part of your portfolio. Unlike many of the .com die hards - Most of us nGTLD fans are not anti .com - Most of us own lots of .com's as well. I keep good share of .com's , ccTLD's and nGTLD's.

•••
"Just Branding" - You mean just the one thing that could make or break a business?

exactly. if you are branding with .whatever you will confuse your audience and this will lower ROI and with lower ROI you either have to switch back to .com or die(see lily.camera or o.co). this will lead to most websites continuing to use .com and as long as this is the case people will respond poorly to .whatever. you see it is a vicious circle they can not escape from unless someone spends many many billions on branding .whatever. the registries can not afford this and most companies will refuse too because they are profit driven enterprises.

we are not just talking about a few billions. The combined ad spend on branding .com is larger than everything seen in history before.

Last edited:
•••
exactly. if you are branding with .whatever you will confuse your audience and this will lower ROI and with lower ROI you either have to switch back to .com or die(see lily.camera or o.co). this will lead to most websites continuing to use .com and as long as this is the case people will respond poorly to .whatever. you see it is a vicious circle they can not escape from.

Dude.. you are blaming LILLY.CAMERA for failing because of their domain name and not because they failed to deliver a SINGLE working product? Do you think if they had LillyCamera.com it would have magically helped them develop a working product and delivered to all their backers?....

Lilly.camera's entire marketing campaign was done online...NO print ad's, NO TV ad's - What does that mean? All their adverts would have had clickable links...the right side of the dot would have made no difference

The only vicious cycle that not be escaped is ignorance.

Last edited:
•••
Dude.. you are blaming LILLY.CAMERA for failing because of their domain name and not because they failed to deliver a SINGLE working product? Do you think if they had LillyCamera.com it would have magically helped them develop a working product and delivered to all their backers?....

Lilly.camera's entire marketing campaign was done online...NO print ad's, NO TV ad's - What does that mean? All their adverts would have had clickable links...the right side of the dot would have made no difference

The only vicious cycle that not be escaped is ignorance.

I am sure that there were various reasons for lily.camera failing but the domain certainly did not help them.

what about o.co? would this branding choice have been sustainable? Revenue went down i think.

Last edited:
•••
Being good in business does not mean you know anything about domains.

hahaha what a perfect example of an oxymoron.

It's sort of ironic at how 99% of domainers are bad at domaining, and still have no clue to even the basic fundamentals of business. Yeup.

•••
I am sure that there were various reasons for lily.camera failing but the domain certainly did not help them.

what about o.co? would this branding choice have been sustainable? Revenue went down i think.

Now you clutching at straws again... the domain had no bearing on their failure. Try having a working product that you can sell first... how could the domain not have helped them if they had nothing to sell?

You are going in circles again by bringing up O.CO we already addressed this yesterday in detail.

•••
Now you clutching at straws again... the domain had no bearing on their failure. Try having a working product that you can sell first... how could the domain not have helped them if they had nothing to sell?

You are going in circles again by bringing up O.CO we already addressed this yesterday in detail.

you mean you are still avoiding the o.co fiasco just like you did yesterday?

it didn't work. get over it. I don't know why it is so hard to accept and surely it is relevant to the rebranding choices seen today.
Rick Schwartz‏ @DomainKing
The MINUTE you have to explain your good or service OR DOMAIN NAME, YOU LOSE!! #Domains #gTLD #startups #startup #marketing #sales #business
Rick Schwartz‏ @DomainKing
U have a boat & you start with a hole. Then another. Then another. Like a boat, how many holes before Biz SINKS?? #Domains #GTLD #startups

Last edited:
•••
hahaha what a perfect example of an oxymoron.

It's sort of ironic at how 99% of domainers are bad at domaining, and still have no clue to even the basic fundamentals of business. Yeup.

Exactly. Imho domainers think they they know too much...but in reality...the level of intellect is lacking. Who are we to assume the investment morale, strategy and foresight of a $20 billion dollar company? I believe its incredibly arrogant and downright lackadaisical to assume that we know more than they do about how they should be running their business.

you mean you are still avoiding the o.co fiasco just like you did yesterday?

it didn't work. get over it. I don't know why it is so hard to accept and surely it is relevant to the rebranding choices seen today.

Everyone is over it. The fact that you keep bringing it up begets someone who is stuck in the past and not looking seriously at the reality that has befallen them. It has been explained in detail numerous times and the fact that you keep revisiting it kind of tells everyone reading this thread that you've "ran out of ammunition" so to speak. A company using a 3L.com has decided to forward a seemingly more valuable domain to an NGTLD that describes and segments their business perfectly. Take a deep breath. Clear your head and deal with this reality. I own lots of .com's and as you can see in my signature, I rep my .coms all day but I'm a realist...you just accept that this is happening. Your assertions and conclusions regarding ngtlds become insignificant when a business with $20 billion dollars on the line go and do the exact opposite of what you believe they should be doing. They have more intellect, resources and counsel than you could ever have....come to terms with their decisions...live it..breath it..learn and adapt. They won't be the only ones making this kind of move.

Last edited:
•••
Your assertions and conclusions regarding ngtlds become insignificant when a business with $20 billion dollars on the line go and do the exact opposite of what you believe they should be doing. They have more intellect, resources and counsel than you could ever have....come to terms with their decisions...live it..breath it..learn and adapt. They won't be the only ones making this kind of move.
problem is that if most other $20 billion dollar companies are doing the opposite what they do is insignificant.

remember that according to your reasoning they also have the same intellect, resources and counsel and decide not to do it. therefore we should follow them because they know better. that is what you say and you are contradicting yourself with that view.

if you were to follow this you would have to conclude that it is not a good idea to rebrand under an nGTLD.

you take one single example as proof that it is a good idea. I will take a single example of someone winning the lottery as proof that it is good investment choice. it is about the same level of reasoning.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back