IT.COM

new gtlds This $20 billion company uses a new TLD for its website, and…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
What’s surprising is that it seems to be basing its business on a .technology domain name. As the listener pointed out, DXC.com now forwards to DXC.technology.
So a $20 billion company is using DXC.technology, paid a big sum for DXC.com, and doesn’t own DXC.tech!
Now, the merger just went through so the company’s branding and domain choice might be in flux. But based on the logo (pictured) the company seems to be embracing .technology...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And I did a quick check on (accredited) lawfirms in my country, The Netherlands, regarding the extension .legal. At this moment 20+ lawfirms have their main website on a .legal. There are less than 5.000 lawfirms in The Netherlands. One can fairly assume that a firm will not have an urgent need to shift their existing site away from their .nl domain. So actually I was surprised to find so many firms with a main online presence on a .legal.
Surprising indeed, for .nl is a very strong ccTLD, it is widespread in the Netherlands. You don't see .com a lot over there, it's mostly big companies like ING Philips etc and the occasional .eu/.org (my own observation).

I have always argued that new TLDs would fail because of the domination of ccTLD - even .com has been losing ground to ccTLDs.

Oddities will always exist though.
There are 2 million .biz registered, so it's got some maturity and critical mass that is lacking in other TLDs. Is there an aftermarket for .biz ? Nope. Is it popular among end users ? Nope. Is the comparison relevant ? Yes it is.

Who are we to assume the investment morale, strategy and foresight of a $20 Billion dollar company? I believe its incredibly arrogant and downright lackadaisical to assume that we know more than they do about how they should be running their business.
Say you work in the marketing department for a big company, say Walmart, and that you spend six figures of corporate money on a TLD application to kill it shortly thereafter. In the real world where I live, you normally get fired unless the decision was cleared at the top. It's still a bad move and poor judgement.
Domainers are perfectly entitled to have an opinion, especially when they have been proven right so many times. Overstock should have listened to domainers. They are not all clueless about domains and consumer trends.

Now what will be the excuse if DXC revert to their old URL ?

•••
problem is that if most other $20 billion dollar companies are doing the opposite what they do is insignificant.

you take one single example as proof that it is a good idea. I will take a single example of someone winning the lottery as proof that it is good investment choice. it is about the same level of reasoning.

No it is not. Do you know how much work it takes to build a 20 billion dollar company? Do understand the investment risk associated with this kind of maneuver? Do you understand the level of oversight required to allow for them to brand like this? The amount of simulation? The expenditure? The planning? The foresight? The manpower? The data analysis? This isn't some random flick of switch. You can win the lottery and win a million but any business making decisions at the mega cap level has a great effect on its customers, peers, subsidiaries, shareholders and investors. Like I said before, domainers think they actually know what is best for a business when in reality they speak nothing but conjecture.

•••
Now what will be the excuse if DXC revert to their old URL ?

there already have been reversals. strangely they are never seen in the headlines of domaining news.

•••
No it is not. Do you know how much work it takes to build a 20 billion dollar company? Do understand the investment risk associated with this kind of maneuver? Do you understand the level of oversight required to allow for them to brand like this? The amount of simulation? The expenditure? The planning? The foresight? The manpower? The data analysis? This isn't some random flick of switch. You can win the lottery and win a million but any business making decisions at the mega cap level has a great effect on its customers, peers, subsidiaries, shareholders and investors. Like I said before, domainers think they actually know what is best for a business when in reality they speak nothing but conjecture.

the other $20 billion companies have the same data analysis available and decide against it. What does this tell us?

Why is Google still on old google.com? or Microsoft wasting money with bing.com?

•••
you mean you are still avoiding the o.co fiasco just like you did yesterday?

it didn't work. get over it. I don't know why it is so hard to accept and surely it is relevant to the rebranding choices seen today.

Holly cow, do you suffer from BIPOLAR or something. Yesterday YOU concluded...that it was better agree to disagree. I left it at that because you are unable to process the simple fact that comparing O.co to DXC is irrelevant. Today, whilst clutching at straws you bring the O.co back into the mix... really dude, YOU the one that needs to get over it.

Now you quote Rick Schartz - typical sheep mentality.... just bcos Rick said it ...then it must make sense, right?

Let's use some actual brains to deconstruct his statement instead the sheep mentality approach

"The MINUTE you have to explain your good or service OR DOMAIN NAME, YOU LOSE!"

So basically, businesses should fire all their sales people cos they are losing... I mean you don't need to sell a service or product to a customer and use the usual selling techniques like Sell the feature and explain the benefit etc... I mean even dealerships should just park their cars in the showroom...fire the salespeople and let the cars fly off the shelves...I mean according to Rick you don't need to explain the product or service to the customers..... so just have a leaflet with the car specs and let them decide. Might as well fire estate agents as well... post an ad that ur house is for sale... let people come walk around DONT explain or tell them anything about the house...let them sell the house to themselves..

Hillarious!

Last edited:
•••
the other $20 billion companies have the same data analysis available and decide against it. What does this tell us?

Why is Google still on old google.com? or Microsoft wasting money with bing.com?
How do you know that they have decided against it? LOL are you listening AND asking questions in their shareholders meetings? Are you subscribed to their investor packages? Do you know how many New G's they own/have developed? Like I said before, domainers think they actually know what is best for a business when in reality they speak nothing but conjecture.

Last edited:
•••
problem is that if most other $20 billion dollar companies are doing the opposite what they do is insignificant.

remember that according to your reasoning they also have the same intellect, resources and counsel and decide not to do it. therefore we should follow them because they know better. that is what you say and you are contradicting yourself with that view.

if you were to follow this you would have to conclude that it is not a good idea to rebrand under an nGTLD.

you take one single example as proof that it is a good idea. I will take a single example of someone winning the lottery as proof that it is good investment choice. it is about the same level of reasoning.

What he said and how you choose to process it are two vastly different things.

Where did he say that because DXC pulled it off now we must all follow that model? I don't see @slader23 saying that at all.

There is no BLANKET rule, no defined formula... everything is on a case by case basis.

•••
Holly cow, do you suffer from BIPOLAR or something. Yesterday YOU concluded...that it was better agree to disagree.

Where? Another guy agreed to disagree with you, not me. I do not have multiple accounts here ;)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...r-its-website-and.1012139/page-3#post-6097066

I think he is talking about ads. with an ad you only have a few seconds to get your message across.

If you need to explain your domain = fail.

•••
Interesting example: http://blog.europeandomaincentre.com/best-new-tld/#

The new TLDs work for some, and not so much for others, but it's something that's here to stay. Corporations, startups thru SMB and Enterprise, are adapting and migrating for a number of reasons, most notably because some of them just make good sense from a branding perspective, others because of the balance and compromise on price, suitability vs availability, for their specific business needs. Especially Startups who have yet to spend a dime of either time or finance in developing their awareness and brand building campaigns, it's a fresh start and clean slate.

Do most want the dot com, hell yea, but even then there are businesses which have the dot com and still opt for the newTLD alternative that meets their particular purpose.

One of the biggest catapults propelling the transition to new TLDs are the many domainers having absolutely no clue on a real valuation model, subsequently, pricing themselves right out of contention and leaving proprietors, CEOs and their boards to examine the possibilities of incorporating alternatives.

You want to start increasing the potential of selling .com portfolios, start getting realistic valuation models and pricing domains accordingly. I'm not talking about blue chips, I'm talking about the domains that most businesses would be happy acquiring for practical usage, at reasonable prices. The way it is right now, if a small business has the opportunity to buy the .com for $20k to $40,000 or a good dot alternative for reg fee/ a couple of grand, I assure you that most will go for the alternative given the ridiculous asking prices of many greedy and clueless domainers.

It's no longer a case of limited options and legalized extortion. Time for people to wake up, get realistic and make this a business, not a get rich quick fart in the wind.

IMO...but what do I know, I'm just a smoking chimp who jgot home at 3am with a belly full of booze, that happened to make the mistake of keeping his browser open on Namepros. I should've just passed out!

•••
How do you know that they have decided against it? LOL are you listening AND asking questions in their shareholders meetings? Are you subscribed to their investor packages? Do you know how many New G's they own/have developed? Like I said before, domainers think they actually know what is best for a business when in reality they speak nothing but conjecture.

very simple. look at the ratio of applications for .brand vs .brand rebrands. They are not rebranding. If they had decided to rebrand we would see it.

•••
Where? Another guy agreed to disagree with you, not me. I do not have multiple accounts here ;)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...r-its-website-and.1012139/page-3#post-6097066

I think he is talking about ads. with an ad you only have a few seconds to get your message across.

If you need to explain your domain = fail.

How do you conclude he is talking about an ad?? - Who tries to explain their product/service in few seconds advert?

So DXC.com - boom that's it then...sticking it on an advert would be sufficient to tell everyone what the company does or what niche they are in??

Last edited:
•••
How do you conclude he is talking about an ad?? - Who tries to explain their product/service in few seconds advert?

the only way the statement would make sense. in the past he had made similar statements mentioning ads.

•••
upload_2017-4-14_12-21-17.png

DXC.technology

Newww
But Not Born Yesterdayyy

Last edited:
•••
the only way the statement would make sense. in the past he had made similar statements mentioning ads.

If you have to try and find a way for the statement to make sense then you are merely assuming what he meant based on what you want it to mean.

•••
If you have to try and find a way for the statement to make sense then you are merely assuming what he meant based on what you want it to mean.

you have been trying to do the opposite and distort everything that I said which made sense to make it seem it didn't make any sense. everyone is biased.

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/837618650542649348

Rick Schwartz‏

If you have to "Explain" a domain name, you have a loser. If you have to "Explain" an extension, you have a loser. #Domains #PigeonShit

I think I know what Rick is trying to tell us.

Last edited:
•••
you have been trying to do the opposite and distort everything that I said which made sense to make it seem it didn't make any sense. everyone is biased.

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/837618650542649348

I think I know what Rick is trying to tell us.

Doesn't matter what you "THINK" he was trying to say...

What matters is what he said.. he said (as per your initial quote):

Now, I don't need to explain anything or try and delude anyone into trying to see this in another light....
it's a statement he made, in English..plain and simple English...people can read it and think what they want.

•••
Doesn't matter what you "THINK" he was trying to say...

What matters is what he said.. he said (as per your initial quote):

Now, I don't need to explain anything or try and delude anyone into trying to see this in another light....
it's a statement he made, in English..plain and simple English...people can read it and think what they want.

i think what he meant to say(reading between the lines) is that the new TLDs are pigeon derived fertilizer.

•••
It is one of the most common non.com extensions there is, and it still failed. How is that irrelevant?

yeah I bet that's why godaddy just paid millions to buy hundreds of .co domain portofolio.
cause .co failed or is failing.

•••
i think what he meant to say(reading between the lines) is that the new TLDs are pigeon derived fertilizer.

If you want to read between the lines then read between the lines properly... follow the money... with all his blah blah blah about nGTLD's ...interesting how he promotes .WEB

https://www.namepros.com/threads/is...e-money-with-his-predictions-for-web.1009854/

If you think for a second that he actually says stuff because he believes it VS because it's what's in the best interest of his pocket then you are reading between the wrong lines.

•••
So DXC.com - boom that's it then...sticking it on an advert would be sufficient to tell everyone what the company does or what niche they are in??
I don't think it's always strictly necessary to have a domain that describes your line of business in great detail. Many companies choose to operate on an acronym (LL/LLL) or a brandable domain. It is not always obvious what their trade is, but it allows for flexibility and diversification.

.technology is extremely broad. It doesn't tell us what kind of technology we are talking about.
On the other hand, .auto .homes .photo etc are precise.
This is what I mean, I don't see the added value of .technology in the present case. It doesn't really add a layer of detail compared to the .com.

•••
If you have to explain what Rick means, Rick is a loser......?!??.....

•••
I don't think it's always strictly necessary to have a domain that describes your line of business in great detail. Many companies choose to operate on an acronym (LL/LLL) or a brandable domain. It is not always obvious what their trade is, but it allows for flexibility and diversification.

.technology is extremely broad. It doesn't tell us what kind of technology we are talking about.
On the other hand, .auto .homes .photo etc are precise.
This is what I mean, I don't see the added value of .technology in the present case. It doesn't really add a layer of detail compared to the .com.

And an acronym like DXC definitely has that technology vibe to it. So as you said, the TLD of their choice adds pretty much nothing except extra characters.

•••
yeah I bet that's why godaddy just paid millions to buy hundreds of .co domain portofolio.
cause .co failed or is failing.
It = overstock's use of .co. Don't comment without context

•••
This move was an optimization of their online presence, they clearly added sustainable value (brand tuning). If you actually have the great oportunity that you can use your brand as domain, you should do it without hesitation.

Last edited:
•••
This does not mean new tld's are good of course or that large companies are coming around to them... there is a reason this occurrence is newsworthy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back