NameSilo

My WTF sale of the week

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have my names pointed to efty.com landing pages and BIN buttons redirect to escrow.com.

So I received email that somebody initiated the transaction ($2,995)

Woohoo I think.

Some back and forth with the buyer. She's from Colombia so at times I had to guess what she meant (crappy translation) but hey, it's $3k so suck it up.

She was not happy about the escrow fees ($188) - so against my better judgment I offered paypal (I did a little "background check" and she seems legit). And you can't do a charge back when sending payment as a gift to a friend so I thought I will risk it.

So anyway I see notification from Paypal - you have received $3 (2.55 after fees).

O_o

What? why would she pay $3?...

... .....

Wait wait waaait a minute!
Don't tell me she thought it's $2.99...

LOL :rolleyes:

I wasted 5 hours and stayed until 4 AM for $2.55 :rolleyes:
And she paid as a normal payment not a gift.

I refunded it and tried very hard not to say what I think about the whole clusterfuck.

Aaaghh :sick:

What about you guys.
Share your "people frustrate me" stories.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll look into this and see what's the best way (if any) to display pricing so it's understood easily by people across the globe. Sedo, Uniregistry etc all use the $2,995 format..
Maybe the best way would be a space - so something like "$9 999" - to make it readable without adding the thousand separator.
It will be less ambiguous that way.

Last edited:
•••
I gotta say, the comma is the best way to go for displaying an amount in £ or £. It is the currency that has the rules, not the viewer.

Sure, for other currencies maybe display it differently, pertaining to it's common use.

My vote is leave the comma....please :)

•••
I'll look into this and see what's the best way (if any) to display pricing so it's understood easily by people across the globe. Sedo, Uniregistry etc all use the $2,995 format..

well these guy do a lot of stuff that makes no sense to me

as to my knowledge there other countries outside the us
having different ways of typing numbers

,xx means - cent not euro
in europe

-
I don't know how british will use it
but they don't want no longer being part of europe , so what

•••
there is no need for a seperator unless you are dealing with an amount that has a meaninfull "cent" value which is never actually the case when selling domains unless you are forced to charge VAT and that is not taken into consideration by any of those brilliant marketplaces

thats why I had to take the effort to bulid my own selling platform
which now simply uses country detection
- to those marketplace: country detection is kind of "flat earth" miracle -

•••
Man! that's really depressing as well as frustrating.. :-o

I might have smashed my keyboard..if i was in your place...

learnt a lesson..never be too happy..untill a transaction is completed and you can actually see the $$$$ in your account

..sAm

•••
I've had that happen to me. We agreed on $120,000 then went to escrow, and got $120 USD.

It's a quick lesson on never to use commas when talking money with someone outside of the U.S.

•••
I've had that happen to me. We agreed on $120,000 then went to escrow, and got $120 USD.

It's a quick lesson on never to use commas when talking money with someone outside of the U.S.
I disagree here. It depends on the educational level of people generally. Back here in Nigeria, we laugh when when CNN makes some WTF blunders as they address some African countries. Sometimes, they put Ghana in place of Gabon lol... Or Nigeria in place of Congo. It happens.

•••
but they don't want no longer being part of europe , so what

it's the european union the uk's leaving not europe. exiting europe is a whole other matter and would take one heck of a tow truck

•••
it's the european union the uk's leaving not europe. exiting europe is a whole other matter and would take one heck of a tow truck

yeah
welcome back to europe !

•••
lol... this is just some of the blunders we talk about here lol.

For instance, sometime ago, I read with shock how some guys from England were attacking their coach for not including a Nigerian football player in their team during the last Euro Nations cup lol. Virtually all of them didn't know that 1. The Nigerian isn't a citizen of England 2. He had never played for England. And the guy I am talking about is Kelechi Iheanacho.

We laughed so hard...

•••
Since it's @Doron Vermaat fault as he didn't clearly educated the potential buyers what's a comma and whats a dot, I suppose he can add the remaining $2,992 so the transaction can be successfully concluded :)

Just kidding lol

•••
C'mon now, decimals are 2 digits not 3 ! For all of USD, EUR and GBP

•••
I got a 15k offer on a name that was owned by a business that provided dinner/events services. The offer came in less than a month or so after I acquired the name. I call them up and after a few introductions and some small talk we get down to business. I let them know that 15k is a very firm start but we'd require more to close a deal. They then tell me that 15k is the very top of their budget for the wedding reception.

Ok, wait, what!? D-:

•••
I got a 15k offer on a name that was owned by a business that provided dinner/events services. The offer came in less than a month or so after I acquired the name. I call them up and after a few introductions and some small talk we get down to business. I let them know that 15k is a very firm start but we'd require more to close a deal. They then tell me that 15k is the very top of their budget for the wedding reception.

Ok, wait, what!? D-:

LOL, since the name already has targeted traffic you should definitely develop it.

•••

Ok, wait, what!? D-:

Similar here, I received a $4,500 order for granite and stuff in one occasion, and a $1,500 order for health supplements in another :xf.smile:

•••

I've owned Pure/anabolics(.)com for about two years and I still get requests for Steroids.

•••
I wonder what kind of job they have and how much they get paid by the hour to make $3 offers.

•••
•••
I have my names pointed to efty.com landing pages and BIN buttons redirect to escrow.com.

So I received email that somebody initiated the transaction ($2,995)

Woohoo I think.

Some back and forth with the buyer. She's from Colombia so at times I had to guess what she meant (crappy translation) but hey, it's $3k so suck it up.

She was not happy about the escrow fees ($188) - so against my better judgment I offered paypal (I did a little "background check" and she seems legit). And you can't do a charge back when sending payment as a gift to a friend so I thought I will risk it.

So anyway I see notification from Paypal - you have received $3 (2.55 after fees).

O_o

What? why would she pay $3?...

... .....

Wait wait waaait a minute!
Don't tell me she thought it's $2.99...

LOL :rolleyes:

I wasted 5 hours and stayed until 4 AM for $2.55 :rolleyes:
And she paid as a normal payment not a gift.

I refunded it and tried very hard not to say what I think about the whole clusterf*ck.

Aaaghh :sick:

What about you guys.
Share your "people frustrate me" stories.

The end was unexpected :) Looking forward to receive $200 offers for my $2.00 names now :D

•••
Yes, it stinks, because in other countries they use , rather then period. I dont get how this is not an issue with all of the international business which is automated whatnot. Atleast you didnt just say you will cover escrow =)

•••
I receive offers sometime ranging anywhere between $1,000 and $5,000 on recruitment related domains from people who think they are applying for a job and think the offer field is for their expected salary.

•••
From the title of your post I thought you sold a name on a very high price but things are different here....
Well she assumed the price was in Colombian Peso :P
$1 (USD) = 2970 Colombian Peso... But she was very generous and paid you 3x the price you were asking....lol

Or may be she thought the price is $3 USD.

In Pakistan on bank cheques we write the amount in alphabets and in words as well so there is no confusion....
For example
Amount: 2995
In Words: Two thousands nine hundreds and ninety five

•••
Cheques are written like that everywhere to avoid misprints or confusion.

I really do not get the issue of the comma, as I said, the currency dictates the formatting rules. You have to wonder why some people make things so hard, I mean how does $2,995 look like $3?

•••
Maybe she think 3000 peso ?

Lmao

•••
Cheques are written like that everywhere to avoid misprints or confusion.

I really do not get the issue of the comma, as I said, the currency dictates the formatting rules. You have to wonder why some people make things so hard, I mean how does $2,995 look like $3?

I don't think that's correct. It's the language that set the rules. You can bet here in Spain you'll find three thousand written 3.000 everywhere, no matter if it's about dollars, pounds, euros, people or whatever.

Funny and cruel situation all at once. Sorry for that, @bluebox. At least you got a great story. ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back