Domain Empire

My WTF sale of the week

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have my names pointed to efty.com landing pages and BIN buttons redirect to escrow.com.

So I received email that somebody initiated the transaction ($2,995)

Woohoo I think.

Some back and forth with the buyer. She's from Colombia so at times I had to guess what she meant (crappy translation) but hey, it's $3k so suck it up.

She was not happy about the escrow fees ($188) - so against my better judgment I offered paypal (I did a little "background check" and she seems legit). And you can't do a charge back when sending payment as a gift to a friend so I thought I will risk it.

So anyway I see notification from Paypal - you have received $3 (2.55 after fees).

O_o

What? why would she pay $3?...

... .....

Wait wait waaait a minute!
Don't tell me she thought it's $2.99...

LOL :rolleyes:

I wasted 5 hours and stayed until 4 AM for $2.55 :rolleyes:
And she paid as a normal payment not a gift.

I refunded it and tried very hard not to say what I think about the whole clusterfuck.

Aaaghh :sick:

What about you guys.
Share your "people frustrate me" stories.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wow seems like you had an interesting experience. I would of paid the fees for her.

•••
wow seems like you had an interesting experience. I would of paid the fees for her.
Technically fees were split 50/50 - so she would only have to pay a half.
No wonder she though $95 for a $3 name is too much LOL

•••
Wow.... I didn't see that coming! That was worth the read! Kudos for taking it in stride brother!

•••
Wow.... I didn't see that coming! That was worth the read! Kudos for taking it in stride brother!
Well I definitely didn't see that coming too LOL :xf.grin:

•••
Wow. D-:

I've never had that happen to me, but I've had buyers backing out of deals at the very last minute. Right after we've agreed on a price, and right before it's time to pay. I wonder if it's other domainers practicing their negotiation skills...? lol. Definitely frustrating.

•••
sounds to me like yuou been outsmart by columbian chick, matey.

•••
And she thought there was a $188.00 escrow fee on $3.00. LOL

•••
The worst part is going from "woohoo :xf.grin:" to "well, that was fun while it lasted :oops:"

•••
The worst part is going from "woohoo :xf.grin:" to "well, that was fun while it lasted :oops:"

What did she say when she found out the price was $3,000 not $3 ?

•••
Me:
The price is not $2 and 99 cents but $2995 = 3 thousands.
I refunded it.

Her:
I do not understand you :(

So again I had to repeat that it's $3000 and since she probably wont's be interested in buying at that price it's best to just say goodbyes and not waste more time.

No answer after that.

•••
I've had that happen to me. We agreed on $120,000 then went to escrow, and got $120 USD.

It's a quick lesson on never to use commas when talking money with someone outside of the U.S.

•••
That's how efty.com shows prices.
@Doron Vermaat - maybe you could remove commas (e.g. $2995) so it's not confusing for people.

•••
I initially thought you sold a .wtf

•••
When I read the title, I taught you sold some terrible name you taught you would never sale. :)

•••
When I read the title, I taught you sold some terrible name you taught you would never sale. :)
Ha, I wish :) Actually I had $800 offer on that name some time ago.

•••
I have my names pointed to efty.com landing pages and BIN buttons redirect to escrow.com.

So I received email that somebody initiated the transaction ($2,995)

Woohoo I think.

Some back and forth with the buyer. She's from Colombia so at times I had to guess what she meant (crappy translation) but hey, it's $3k so suck it up.

She was not happy about the escrow fees ($188) - so against my better judgment I offered paypal (I did a little "background check" and she seems legit). And you can't do a charge back when sending payment as a gift to a friend so I thought I will risk it.

So anyway I see notification from Paypal - you have received $3 (2.55 after fees).

O_o

What? why would she pay $3?...

... .....

Wait wait waaait a minute!
Don't tell me she thought it's $2.99...

LOL :rolleyes:

I wasted 5 hours and stayed until 4 AM for $2.55 :rolleyes:
And she paid as a normal payment not a gift.

I refunded it and tried very hard not to say what I think about the whole clusterf*ck.

Aaaghh :sick:

What about you guys.
Share your "people frustrate me" stories.

Holly cow dude....I can only imagine the anti-climax.... that's like hooking up with a really hot supermodel and you get her to bed only for her to say.."sorry it's that time of the month"

•••
Wow. D-:

I've never had that happen to me, but I've had buyers backing out of deals at the very last minute. Right after we've agreed on a price, and right before it's time to pay. I wonder if it's other domainers practicing their negotiation skills...? lol. Definitely frustrating.
I think this scenario could be dead on.

•••
Holly cow dude....I can only imagine the anti-climax.... that's like hooking up with a really hot supermodel and you get her to bed only for her to say.."sorry it's that time of the month"
Feels more like I found out it's a cardboard cutout. Of Steve Buscemi.

•••
That's how efty.com shows prices.
@Doron Vermaat - maybe you could remove commas (e.g. $2995) so it's not confusing for people.

I'll look into this and see what's the best way (if any) to display pricing so it's understood easily by people across the globe. Sedo, Uniregistry etc all use the $2,995 format..

Last edited:
•••
I'm from Belgium and if I would for example sell a domain for 3000 the correct way to display it would be
3.000 EUR and not 3,000 EUR (so we use a dot where Americans use a comma and vice versa). A comma is used for a decimal separator (for example 2,25 EUR). Most European countries write it like that.

Last edited:
•••
Never had an experience quite like that and no doubt you and now many of us have learned from it.

•••
I've had that happen to me. We agreed on $120,000 then went to escrow, and got $120 USD.

It's a quick lesson on never to use commas when talking money with someone outside of the U.S.

We are ok in the UK....honest ;)

•••

O man that sucks. If I was waiting on $120.000 and got just $120 I would probably cry.

•••
oops
i had something similar , he kept bargaining me for 3000 for 2 weeks asked me to send invoice and never paid its been 3 weeks ..he is bluffing that he never got the invoice and asks me to send it again...lol i gues its the 3rd invoice and i gave up...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back