Dynadot

Just Got a Strange Phone Call About a Domain I don't even Own!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gatekeeper72

Established Member
Impact
I just got the strangest phone call by some guy from India, about the domain ElitePhoto (dot)com, which I don't even own. He was asking me how I want the site built out, and he's web developer. I tried to tell him, I don't own that domain, and he kept insisting that I owned it, and I purchased it from Godaddy on the 25th. So I was just like, "Hmmm...I'll have to look into that"He then spelled it out for me even..lol..And I told him, no matter how you say it, I still don't own to my knowledge...He eventually just hung up on me, but I thought this whole thing was strange. I go into the "Who is" and I'm not listed there, I go into Godaddy to check my all my domains, and nope, I do not own it...Someone from Queensland owns it..Wherever that is..But am wondering how he got my name, and phone number associated with this domain that is parked with Sedo.He didn't mention any other domains. Just that one.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I just think it's really strange...
BTW: I don't have any of my domains parked with Sedo either..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a scam. I've been getting emails from bots saying "Pickup another great domain similar to xyz.com", and then when I do a search on the domain they want me to buy from them, it's still available. So that means they want me to send them money for this domain that's similar to one I bought when they didn't even register the domain name.

•••
No, he didn't want me to buy it, he wanted to build it out for me. and he wasn't a bot, was def from india or pakistan.

•••
He WHOISed the wrong domain and got your details instead.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I haven't got any phone call yet but I assure you I have been receiving MANY effing emails from people ( mainly Indians ) who absolutely want to develop my domains....
So annoying.

•••
I am an Indian myself, and still receive so many emails from Indian fellows. Very very annoying. I just keep on hitting the Spam button.

•••
I am an Indian myself, and still receive so many emails from Indian fellows. Very very annoying. I just keep on hitting the Spam button.
It was a phone call...

•••
I get calls every day ,,,,,,, now i just don't answer the phone to +?? numbers that i don't know

•••
•••
yep me too bud and emails ....... just ignore them now :)

•••
I haven't got any phone call yet but I assure you I have been receiving MANY effing emails from people ( mainly Indians ) who absolutely want to develop my domains....
So annoying.

I agree..It's very annoying..But I love to mess with people too, if I'm not too busy though, and I was very curious about why he thought that I owned that domain when I don't own any with the word photo or elite in them, plus how he got my name and number, and knew I had an account with Godaddy...Just so weird..I usually get the telemarketers to hang up on me. Like when they ask a question about something personal, I'll say something like..You first...What's your full name? What's your address? Etc..Depending on the situation...That gets them to hang up real quick! ..lol..

I don't think it was a case where he looked up the wrong domain, cuz he spelled it out for me like he was looking at my ownership of it. Then going back to repeating my name and asking if that was me...And kept arguing with me about it. LOL..You get them going though, And they'll start talking so fast you can't understand a word they say..

•••
I get calls every day ,,,,,,, now i just don't answer the phone to +?? numbers that i don't know

Well, I normally ignore them too, but am waiting on a call from a number I don't know from the electrician.

•••
BTW Queensland is in Australia :) Prob just a mis dialed spam call...no worries just move on

•••
but surely you know your +?? extension that starts your country code ?? if i get a call that does not start with +44 then i just don't answer it :)

•••
I'm in the U.S., and I honestly didn't pay attention to the number, I was just hoping it was him. Been waiting since June for him to get this fixed and now supposed to hear from him before tomorrow.

Also, if it were a misdialed called, then how would he know my full name and that I had an account with Godaddy?..

Just doesn't make sense. I will move on, just so strange...

•••
I've heard of ppl cold-calling, but it's usually these stupid emails :(

So annoying.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back