IT.COM

Facebook Shares Plummet...lol

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This was a true example of greed.

Its down 20% from the IPO price, down 30% from Fridays high.
$104 billion market cap was a joke.
$20 billion in market cap has been lost since Friday.
Morgan Stanley screwed up.
Mark Zuckerberg believed his own press clippings.

Facebook's IPO should have been at $15 - $20, not $38

Next stop the high $20s

:lol:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What is your "control" point for appropriate valuation? Appropriate market cap? All I hear is comparison to Google or IBM like we're comparing two apples at a store. It's this kind of nonsense that causes the financial crises...Oh yeah.. almost forgot :imho:

Who here has evaluated their patents? captured data alongside potential privacy rights? data analytics? Who here understands and researched their future business model? Their plans for future acquisitions?

They didn't IPO because they wanted to, they IPOd because they had to.

Anyone who thinks they can build Facebook easily needs to explain to me why Google+ is struggling? Oh wait, it's apples and oranges again...

I'm sure it all makes sense. There are winners and there are losers... just make sure you're on the right side.. it's just a set of equations after all.

EDIT: I do give Hopkism credit for a write up that was pretty well thought out and more than the normal discussion which just randomly picks $20 over $40 as making sense.

Last edited:
•••
Actually I've seen experts valuating it in the teens. But these valuations don't take in account the explosive earnings if they figure out how to do mobile right. Traders and hedge funds have been salivating at paying the huge premium to short this early.

•••
What is your "control" point for appropriate valuation? Appropriate market cap? All I hear is comparison to Google or IBM like we're comparing two apples at a store. It's this kind of nonsense that causes the financial crises...Oh yeah.. almost forgot :imho:

Who here has evaluated their patents? captured data alongside potential privacy rights? data analytics? Who here understands and researched their future business model? Their plans for future acquisitions?

They didn't IPO because they wanted to, they IPOd because they had to.

Anyone who thinks they can build Facebook easily needs to explain to me why Google+ is struggling? Oh wait, it's apples and oranges again...

I'm sure it all makes sense. There are winners and there are losers... just make sure you're on the right side.. it's just a set of equations after all.

EDIT: I do give Hopkism credit for a write up that was pretty well thought out and more than the normal discussion which just randomly picks $20 over $40 as making sense.

I dont know who you were directing you post to buy I will take a stab at it.

You dont price an IPO based on future acquisitions..ever, and you should never price an IPO 100 time earnings.
That's is pure greed.

Especially since Morgan Stanly knew enough right before the IPO to give a little warning.
Pure BS!

This was a major Cluster F*ck.

Maybe if earnings prove to be better then expected and future projects pan out then maybe you might see that $38 - $44 a share price again.

But for right now, for the crap FB and Morgan Stanly pulled I think you will see $20 way before you see $40.

Oh yea :imho:

•••
I dont know who you were directing you post to buy I will take a stab at it.

Anyone who can rationalize why the market cap is $60 B at Google and $79 B at WSJ (my understanding is that apparently major financial sites can't agree on number of shares issues - so how are people here?)

Anyone who can rationalize the "correct" valuation based on "as yet undefined earnings".
Anyone who can explain how they've considered the normal volatilety factors in their short term market analysis.

I'm just curious how people come up with their appropriate valuation prices other than just using the sheeple theory... perhaps the correlation coefficients derived from Twitter trending topics and other market factors.

As I said Hopkism did a pretty decent write up on his thoughts. The rest of this thread just seems random based on rumors and what "that guy" said.

•••
Anyone who can rationalize why the market cap is $60 B at Google and $79 B at WSJ (my understanding is that apparently major financial sites can't agree on number of shares issues - so how are people here?)

Anyone who can rationalize the "correct" valuation based on "as yet undefined earnings".
Anyone who can explain how they've considered the normal volatilety factors in their short term market analysis.

I'm just curious how people come up with their appropriate valuation prices other than just using the sheeple theory... perhaps the correlation coefficients derived from Twitter trending topics and other market factors.

As I said Hopkism did a pretty decent write up on his thoughts. The rest of this thread just seems random based on rumors and what "that guy" said.

Well, you have to look at the fundamentals.

Google -
Share Price $594
Market Cap $193 billion
EPS $33
Trading 18x EPS = Cheap imho
Cash on hand $47 Billion
Trading 4x cash on hand

Facebook -
Share Price $28.84
Market Cap $61 billion
EPS .39 - yes thats .39 cents!
Trading 74x EPS = Expensive imho
Cash on hand $4 Billion
Trading 15x cash on hand

Keep in mind FB fundamentals were much worst the day of the IPO :rolleyes:

•••
Boom!
Just fell under $28...ouch!
8-X

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Option trading started today for FB and the rumor that FB wants to buy Opera Software

$36 calls are at .05...lol

A plug nickle.
That's how little confidence people have that this will ever see $36 again.
Well at least by June 15 :)

•••
It only blinked under 28 so far, This morning it was green for a while. I just feel* it will stay here for a while.

* Its ok to have feelings, talk about rumors etc.

Last edited:
•••
* Its ok to have feelings, talk about rumors etc.

Yes it is. I have feelings all the time. I have feelings that Facebook is overvalue but so is Google AND Apple. In fact, I think the whole market is overvalued and that comparing an overvalued stock to another less overvalued stock to suggest it is not overvalued is poppycock. Not that it matters because it's actually algorithms that dictate how the market moves.. and algorithms are owned by people who want to take money out of the market and put it into their own pocket.. So we're just waiting for another reason for money to made up up to prop up the overvalued market so that the money can, once again, get sucked out of it and buy more Ferrari's (not Fisker - that company's in trouble) ... so that ... whatever...

It's just a feeling I got*

*Feelings are allowed according to Johname and he's my hero.

Facebook to stay at $28 because I think that sounds ok.. then zoom up to $45 once people realize that they they're going to get charged $0.10 everytime they want to remove annoying friends.
:imho:

•••
I kept trying to remove this defaultuser character off my facebook account, heck I would pay a quarter. Maybe ill use that fancy face.com to recognized his mug and tag his pics. LOL :p

I really just typed this to tell everyone about the cool contest in my siggy. It can get an above regfee name in a newbies account.

•••
Yes it is. I have feelings all the time. I have feelings that Facebook is overvalue but so is Google AND Apple. In fact, I think the whole market is overvalued and that comparing an overvalued stock to another less overvalued stock to suggest it is not overvalued is poppycock. Not that it matters because it's actually algorithms that dictate how the market moves.. and algorithms are owned by people who want to take money out of the market and put it into their own pocket.. So we're just waiting for another reason for money to made up up to prop up the overvalued market so that the money can, once again, get sucked out of it and buy more Ferrari's (not Fisker - that company's in trouble) ... so that ... whatever...

It's just a feeling I got*

*Feelings are allowed according to Johname and he's my hero.

Facebook to stay at $28 because I think that sounds ok.. then zoom up to $45 once people realize that they they're going to get charged $0.10 everytime they want to remove annoying friends.
:imho:

I hope you dont do much trading just based on feelings.
You will lose your shirt.
And when you say algorithms dictates how the market moves is something a chart lover believes.

You can chart all you want but in the end for any company its the fundamentals that count.
And the fundamentals for Google and Apple are not overvalued by any means.
You cant look at a stock price or a market cap and say, "Oh my, that price is so high it must be overvalued"
You have valuate that stock price and see if it is justified.

The market is a funny and risky place, and if you are daytrading the Market Makers can eat you alive if you are not careful.

I have made lots of money in the stock market and I have lost lots of money over the past 28 years.

As far as Apple goes look at these statistics.

Apple -
Share Price: $579
Market Cap: $541.56 billion
Revenue: $147 Billion
EPS: $41 - Outstanding!
Trading: 14x EPS = Sweet!
Cash on hand: $28.54 Billion
Total Debt: 0 - Not many companies can say that.

If Apple was trading at Facebooks ratio Apple's stock price would be $$3000 bucks a share!

Now you tell me which one is overvalued.
:)

•••
You can chart all you want but in the end for any company its the fundamentals that count.
Fundamentals count for long term investing based on historical analytics.

Short term investing doesn't have anything to do with fundamentals, imho and is driven by rather non-deterministic factors. HVT can take advantage of these factors - humans can't. Again, imho.

What's your control and basis for considering what is and isn't overvalued?

For every economist who tells you the market is overvalued by 30-50% I can find you one that will disagree. I would find it more difficult to find one with no particular agenda.

As for your question ? My answer is that Facebook is definitely overvalued relative to Apple.

What I cannot tell you is whether the actual replacement value of Apple is actually close to $600 billion. They seem to be able to replace Chinese employees for a couple of bucks to the family and a few grand to the inspectors (allegedly, and not verified).

•••
I hope you dont do much trading just based on feelings.
You will lose your shirt.
And when you say algorithms dictates how the market moves is something a chart lover believes.

You cant look at a stock price or a market cap and say, "Oh my, that price is so high it must be overvalued"
You have valuate that stock price and see if it is justified.

The market is a funny and risky place, and if you are daytrading the Market Makers can eat you alive if you are not careful.

I have made lots of money in the stock market and I have lost lots of money over the past 28 years.

As far as Apple goes look at these statistics.

Apple -
Share Price: $579
Market Cap: $541.56 billion
Revenue: $147 Billion
EPS: $41 - Outstanding!
Trading: 14x EPS = Sweet!
Cash on hand: $28.54 Billion
Total Debt: 0 - Not many companies can say that.

If Apple was trading at Facebooks ratio Apple's stock price would be $$3000 bucks a share!

Now you tell me which one is overvalued.
:)

Lieutenant Dan and Forest Gump got rich off of apple stock lol. But Apple wasn't at it's peak of existence.

I believe FaceBook is, To buy into some thing that has peaked is just not a wise thing to do. Especially a web business, As soon as the next big thing hits, It's done and over.

Look at cell phones, New technology by the month practically, The same with the Web IMO, What is the most awesome thing since sliced bread one year, Is forgotten the next year, It may last 2 to 4 years, But as soon as the next big most awesome thing launches, It's a done deal.

It is just a matter of time before the next big launch of Ohhh Awwww for us. To happen sooner than later IMO.

Lets say FB stays around, Do you think they will actually get bigger?? Can FB find new ways to generate a substantial revenue increase???

Buying stock in any company when coming in as a bottom feeder is doomed to fail IMO.

•••
Lieutenant Dan and Forest Gump got rich off of apple stock lol. But Apple wasn't at it's peak of existence.

I believe FaceBook is, To buy into some thing that has peaked is just not a wise thing to do. Especially a web business, As soon as the next big thing hits, It's done and over.

Look at cell phones, New technology by the month practically, The same with the Web IMO, What is the most awesome thing since sliced bread one year, Is forgotten the next year, It may last 2 to 4 years, But as soon as the next big most awesome thing launches, It's a done deal.

It is just a matter of time before the next big launch of Ohhh Awwww for us. To happen sooner than later IMO.

Lets say FB stays around, Do you think they will actually get bigger?? Can FB find new ways to generate a substantial revenue increase???

Buying stock in any company when coming in as a bottom feeder is doomed to fail IMO.

Facebook shares are just like a box of cho

...aw forget it !

:zzz:

•••
Actually I've seen experts valuating it in the teens. But these valuations don't take in account the explosive earnings if they figure out how to do mobile right.

People have been trying to get mobile monetisation right for years and some succeeded - yes Admob did well and was bought by Google and now just does App ads, and its ads business has become part of Google's mobile Adsense and Admob won't even answer emails anymore.

Can the advertisers leave Adsense tomorrow? Not if they want customers. Can the users leave Facebook tomorrow? Not if they want friends. Yes, that is friends, not customers. People can't export their data from Facebook, yet anyway. But supposing they become able to scrape their own accounts to a standard format they can import to another network?

Orkut, Bebo, Google P(l)us, Myspace... not everything succeeds but when it fails it can die fast, so I just don't see FB being very secure. Maybe those inside the company think that too - that would explain their push to get maximum payout from the IPO instead of waiting for long term appreciation.

FB either has to milk advertisers or users much more, because now shareholders expect someone to pay.

•••
Fundamentals count for long term investing based on historical analytics.

Short term investing doesn't have anything to do with fundamentals, imho and is driven by rather non-deterministic factors. HVT can take advantage of these factors - humans can't. Again, imho.

What's your control and basis for considering what is and isn't overvalued?

For every economist who tells you the market is overvalued by 30-50% I can find you one that will disagree. I would find it more difficult to find one with no particular agenda.

As for your question ? My answer is that Facebook is definitely overvalued relative to Apple.

What I cannot tell you is whether the actual replacement value of Apple is actually close to $600 billion. They seem to be able to replace Chinese employees for a couple of bucks to the family and a few grand to the inspectors (allegedly, and not verified).

No, fundamentals play a part in all investing, long term and short term.
True with short term (daytrading) you have to be aware daily of many other things that may influence a stock price at anytime, news events, earnings reports, warnings, upgrades/downgrades, insiders buying/selling, new product releases, so on and so on.

But without knowing the fundamentals at any time you wouldn't really know if you should go long or go short.

Anyone who invests in any company or against any company without knowing a companies fundamentals is an idiot.

As far as a valuation goes, a companies stock and its valuation is a moving target.
A lot of times its difficult to put an absolute valuation on a company especially a big company because it is constantly changing.
This is why they use the term Estimates.
This is also why you can have a 100 analyst cover a company like Apple and all of them have a different valuation.

But its not really all that difficult to have some kind of idea if a company stock price is overvalued or undervalued.

imho...Apple at $600 is still undervalued.
That is still less then 15 times earnings.
You should always pay attention to the multiple.

When you ask what is my basis for considering what is and isn't overvalued?
When studying the fundamentals I base it on factors like.
EPS
Multiple - Teens or less is great, 100x like FB at IPO..Run!
Debt - major factor
Revenue
Cash on hand
Cash flow

A stock will always have its up's and downs.
Chart lovers try to predict this with algorithms and past charts. Sometimes they get lucky, a lot of times they look ridicules.

Chart lovers cant predict when a Hedge Fund moves in and takes control or an analyst decides to change their grade on the stock or any other thing that may impact the stock price.

Even if you daytrade always do your DD, read SEC fillings, listen to conference calls, if you have questions try and call in on the conference call, I have done that and ask a CEO questions.

Basically in the end you want to have an idea if a company is doing good or doing bad.
If good then go long, if bad then short the pig.

This is why Facebook is getting the ever loving shit kicked out of them, keep in mind there is no charts on them yet, it's that their fundamentals Suck.

Always remember, Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered :)

•••
Fell under $27 today...ouch!
Now at $27.05 down another 4% today.

Do I hear $26?

B-)

•••
I'd buy if it dips into the teens, but this is not something I'd hold for 5 years.

•••
I'd buy if it dips into the teens, but this is not something I'd hold for 5 years.

Thats kinda the whole point to owning them. There better day trading stocks and better short term holds out there.

•••

Love to see your EPS, Debt, Cash on hand, Cash flow projections :)

•••

The stock is on a downward slid, there is to much risk to try and buy on the dips because there really isn't that many dips, its all trips and falls.

Buy puts or try and short it.

•••
No, fundamentals play a part in all investing, long term and short term.

Today - Right Now

FB down 1.42%
Google down 1.28%
Apple down 0.20%

SGI up 3.82% (EPS -0.58)

Pesky fundamentals... this means a negative EPS is good, right? :sold:

•••
Apple been all up since may 18 and facebook been all down, dam charts!

•••
So how to connect these companies to the fact that the price of strawberries were up yesterday when we bought some at the grocery store?

•••
FB finally has a bump day lol 29.63 +1.44 (5.11%)

•••
FB finally has a bump day lol 29.63 +1.44 (5.11%)

This what I was talking about earlier on how charts cant see this coming, Topeka put a buy rating on it late in the afternoon.

An analyst rating can always move a stock, we will see how long this love last.

I dont think for long.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back