NameSilo

Ever insulted a potential buyer? I plan to! lol

Labeled as question in General Domain Discussion started by WhoaDomain.com, Jan 16, 2020.

Replies:
Views:

1. WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.com WhoaDomain.com Gold Account VIP

naah. just wanted to quit wasting people's time on here.

That way better threads can be the top thread of the week besides this idiotic post. lol

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. WatchDogue

WatchDogue Top Contributor VIP

Apparently you had an opportunity to articulate your domain name and it's real and perceived benefits to a VP of said firm and you declined that golden opportunity.

You stated to the effect that you " talk " much like you write.

Might suggest you " write down " the top five benefits of the domain name, literally practice stating same in an informative and as natural a manner as possible, and return her call/s.

And be a good listener to the VP's responses to your stated sales case.

Likely if you accentuate the positive and resist the obvious temptation to lambast the previous
    past " egregious errors " of the the companies' way you will have an engaged and likely supportive ally at said company encouraging a larger ( reasonable ) offer for the purchase of the name.

Remember - you are apparently hearing from a VP of sales ( ? ) or marketing (?) and not from a VP of Legal.

I was told a million years ago " never fall in love with a stock " and I try to apply the same adage to my domain names.

3. jamesall

jamesall BrandEntrance.com Gold Account VIP

1. Watch Godfather I, II and III.

2. Be humble and act businesslike with people you don't know that have big purses.

4. CrazyOldGoat

CrazyOldGoat Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I'll be honest, I just browsed through this thread because I'm pretty tired (and you do tend to waffle on just a little :xf.wink:. (Honestly, don't even completely understand the echicken analogy haha (assuming it isn't echicken :o - although you certainly knew a lot about their competitors in Popeyes! (or feeling hungry) but KFC's revenue is a little more than 30 mil I think so it may not be as similar as you think! :P

The first rule is always to say you appreciate offers of any size but you've already rejected offers in and above that range because you're s considering developing the name (instills the "I better buck up my act" feeling due to a little FOMO and also stells the CEO that there are people out there who value that name even more than her valuation and she may need to rethink it!

1) Definitely don't insult a potential buyer, even if a deal falls through completely, just wish them luck and get over it. You never know if they'll hire some new marketing guru who thinks the name needs to be purchased at any price and they come crawling back (don't get your hopes up though). Use a formal tone - don't talk in long sentences and short paragraphs and don't expect 6 figures!
    2) If it's been a few days and no call, send an email asking if she's "had a chance to reconsider the initial offer".
    3) Don't school a $30m+" business owner about domain name valuations even if the obviously no clue about and definitely don't have a presentation ready - maybe just remind them of the importance of brand reputation and brand power and how "thatechicken" doesn't exactly scream high-value product or help your search ranking (although EDM's can actually be too non-descriptive and hurt seo, that's not the case here as the, in this case, makes it an exact branded name and Google's big thing right now is all about brands.
    4) That poorly veiled threat would have pissed me off too. Also, I have to regularly tell me that my domain names are almost always worth less than I think (they're my babies, they're precious to me! Although this does sound like a unique situation and it's the perfect end-user, your valuation is probably still too high.
    5) Holy sh*t, I waffle on more than you do! :woot:

5. CrazyOldGoat

CrazyOldGoat Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Oh, and 6) if you think it's value is only worth more than $5k to that specific company (and even only a couple others) and they just completely refuse to budge... well $5k is better than noK so I'd say just swallow the bullet and sell if it comes to that!

6. darb

darb Established Member

Perhaps you need to consider your perspective; I personally would have chuckled to myself over this.

Let them TM the name, let them come back to you, then ask them how much they spent on the TM and then double that amount and add it to the domain price.

Maybe add Sun Tzu Art of War to your reading list when you get a chance.

7. WhoaDomain.com

hahaha oh boy. you just created a monster. reading quotes right now. some of these really could be applied to domaining and any business really. Thanks

personal favorite is the one Bruce Lee's always used.

"“Be extremely subtle even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.”"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  8. iAchilles

iAchilles Top Contributor VIP

Your frustrations of them not meeting your expectations of how this should have transpired, and how much you should have been offered or what the sale should have been are surfacing in your post.

Always keep your expectations grounded and never be rude. It will net you $0 in sales. People are not robots, they have feelings, they can get insulted. As a matter of principal, they might turn around and say "screw this guy, let's rebrand".

In which case you can kiss your sale good bye.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. Chacha Wixard

Chacha Wixard Established Member

California Fried Chicken?

10. WhoaDomain.com

what are you asking? lol

11. Chacha Wixard

The actual name of the company? You do need to asnwer. Lol. There is CFC in Indonesia. It has been there since may be 30 years, and we knew it was not started from California.

12. WhoaDomain.com

no I meant Louisiana Fried Chicken is Viet or Indonesia owned or founded.

13. Chacha Wixard

Ah. I did not know that.

14. WhoaDomain.com

Yea. The chicken is good. Crispy. Good flavor. Better than the Halal Chicken spot nearby.

I just don't like their rice. Not a fan. Not like Popeye's dirty rice.

(By the way. Did you know Popeye's rice is actually chicken livers? Mixed in?)

Eewww. I still eat it.

Ok so off topic now. Let's get back on topic please. If anyone else has anything else to say about this thread topic feel welcome. Thanks.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice