IT.COM

BrandRoot Experience...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gina ferrano

Established Member
Impact
Since there's a thread for Namerific and BB, I started a thread on BR. What are people's experiences?
Jury is still out...not sure if I should submit more names, as names pending in the cue waiting for logos jumped back 20 spaces. What's the turn around time? On the front end, names being approved are on par with namerific, BB is very slow, w/o a yay or a nay, though maybe once the names are approved it may be faster going into the description, logo stage.

Also, paying more than $100 on logos for names valued at under 2k, is it worth it to pay more. Does it make a difference? How long to wait till name is published? Do the logo designers pick and choose? The $10 fee, what does that insure? The idea behind BR is a sped up process, how long must one wait...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I primarily use BR at this point. I switched everything over from BB because I was getting a better rate of sales at the time (Jan 2015). I have no idea what the average rate of sale at BB is at the moment, but I am currently getting about 3.3% per annum at BR.
This is higher than BB. Anyone else using BR mind sharing their average rate of sale percentage?

I haven't jumped in yet but am very tempted.

•••
This is higher than BB. Anyone else using BR mind sharing their average rate of sale percentage?

I haven't jumped in yet but am very tempted.

If you are considering it, I would recommend getting started now. It can be a very lengthy time to get accepted there. Took me close to a year. If they accept and you change your mind, you just don't move forward so no harm done. They aren't always taking new sellers and they are more selective. I've only been on a month so no sales to report, but overall I like both systems, with each having their pros and cons.

•••
BR approval of a seller takes ages.

Not sure why they do it, as BB gets the first dip with the names because of this.

What is the logic of giving competitive advantage to your rival?

•••
BR approval of a seller takes ages.

Not sure why they do it, as BB gets the first dip with the names because of this.

What is the logic of giving competitive advantage to your rival?

First, I'm not sure its a conscious decision to purposely be slower. They are just more selective and honestly, I prefer they are and keep it smaller than the 23K names at BB. Not everyone gives there names to BB first. I have noticed that their market segments are a little different. I'm sure they each have their niches where they are stronger in contacts and selling strengths. I think they compliment each other very well and using both is a solid strategy.

•••
First, I'm not sure its a conscious decision to purposely be slower. They are just more selective and honestly, I prefer they are and keep it smaller than the 23K names at BB. Not everyone gives there names to BB first. I have noticed that their market segments are a little different. I'm sure they each have their niches where they are stronger in contacts and selling strengths. I think they compliment each other very well and using both is a solid strategy.

Selective about what? They are not slow for name submitting, they are just not approving new sellers for months! I applied to try them out about 4 months ago, and I gave them great sample of names, including nice pronounceable 4L.coms, does not get any better than that.

•••
Selective about what? They are not slow for name submitting, they are just not approving new sellers for months! I applied to try them out about 4 months ago, and I gave them great sample of names, including nice pronounceable 4L.coms, does not get any better than that.

I can't speak to your situation, but maybe they didn't feel they would be able to market your domains? I would much rather have someone reject a name that they don't feel they could sell, than take anything just to make $10. While I'm sure your names were great, there was something about them that just wasn't a match for them. Would you rather they had accepted them and then be unable to sell them? At a very high level, I think BB is better for 4L's and if I was selling them, I likely wouldn't even have submitted them to BR. I want a market that knows their buyers and knows their capabilities and shortcomings. Nobody wins if everything is approved.

Edit: I would add that i think they are very slow on approving names, at least in my experience. Like i said, i'm just getting started so my frame of reference is limited. But I almost always wait much longer for BR approval than BB. But that's just part of the learning curve in any new marketplace.

•••
I can't speak to your situation, but maybe they didn't feel they would be able to market your domains? I would much rather have someone reject a name that they don't feel they could sell, than take anything just to make $10. While I'm sure your names were great, there was something about them that just wasn't a match for them. Would you rather they had accepted them and then be unable to sell them? At a very high level, I think BB is better for 4L's and if I was selling them, I likely wouldn't even have submitted them to BR. I want a market that knows their buyers and knows their capabilities and shortcomings. Nobody wins if everything is approved.

I'll go second time:

They did not reject anything. They asked for 10 name example at registration. I gave them great ones. Just check my signature, do they look like reject names? They are not submissions. It has been 4 months with no response regarding the application. They even don't bother to send you confirmation email upon registration.

Very unprofessionally made. I am surprised they are making any sales, if they have the same attitude to sale side.

•••
I don't know, but I get the impression that BR isn't a 'they'. This is just one guy working really hard and he simply doesn't have the resources to maintain a lot of sellers.

Perhaps you just submitted at a time when he felt he couldn't cope with any more sellers, no matter how good their names are.

The latest approved sellers seem to be those that submitted up to a year ago.

Again, I don't know how big BR is, and I don't know your situation either, but that's my best guess.

•••
7000 names, 3.3% sales = 230+ names.

230x600 from each sale = 138 000$.

He could hire someone for $20K/year to try to double his income, no?

•••
7000 names, 3.3% sales = 230+ names.

230x600 from each sale = 138 000$.

He could hire someone for $20K/year to try to double his income, no?
I've no idea what his circumstances are, whether he has thought about this and decided against it or not.

•••
I'll go second time:

They did not reject anything. They asked for 10 name example at registration. I gave them great ones. Just check my signature, do they look like reject names? They are not submissions. It has been 4 months with no response regarding the application. They even don't bother to send you confirmation email upon registration.

Very unprofessionally made. I am surprised they are making any sales, if they have the same attitude to sale side.

Keep'n it classy.

If they haven't accepted you or your domains, there is something about them, or you, that they don't feel is a match. Honestly, if this is the way you handle business communications with them, I think I see the issue. But, 4 months is nothing. Come back to me after a year and let's see if you were accepted. Yours is just one in a string of comments where people submitted and waited with no response. I'm not saying it's right, but it is their norm. I was in the same boat for about a year, but then I was accepted. In fact, I think I ended up applying a second time during my wait. I have had a very good experience with them and have found Michael to be very helpful in getting me set-up and going. It is possible they looked and said no, this isn't a fit. It is equally possible they simply haven't gotten to you yet, or aren't currently accepting new sellers....hence the selectivity that I originally referenced. I still stand by my comments that no matter how good a domain is, all domains are not suited for all markets. And, I want a market that is able to discern the difference and only accept the names they feel they can sell. I'm not offended by rejection of a silly domain.

•••
JimJammy, I don't know either. What I am saying is that if a seller decides to join this platforms and applies at the same time to BB, BR, etc., BB will get a first look at names, because BR will take a year to just approve a seller...

•••
Keep'n it classy.

If they haven't accepted you or your domains, there is something about them, or you, that they don't feel is a match. Honestly, if this is the way you handle business communications with them, I think I see the issue. But, 4 months is nothing. Come back to me after a year and let's see if you were accepted. Yours is just one in a string of comments where people submitted and waited with no response. I'm not saying it's right, but it is their norm. I was in the same boat for about a year, but then I was accepted. In fact, I think I ended up applying a second time during my wait. I have had a very good experience with them and have found Michael to be very helpful in getting me set-up and going. It is possible they looked and said no, this isn't a fit. It is equally possible they simply haven't gotten to you yet, or aren't currently accepting new sellers....hence the selectivity that I originally referenced. I still stand by my comments that no matter how good a domain is, all domains are not suited for all markets. And, I want a market that is able to discern the difference and only accept the names they feel they can sell. I'm not offended by rejection of a silly domain.

Are you a brand ambassador, staff? I hope not, certainly.

No, I have not communicated, just did the application form, with them and my communications are generally fine, unless they don't get through...

•••
I don't know, but I get the impression that BR isn't a 'they'. This is just one guy working really hard and he simply doesn't have the resources to maintain a lot of sellers.

I met two representatives from BrandRoot at NamesCon this year. Michael and Toby. Both were very nice, and knowledgeable.

Remember BrandRoot is still technically new compared to BrandBucket. Based on WHOIS history alone, BrandRoot is 5 years younger. BrandRoot is spending quite a bit on marketing to grow their current marketplace. They sponsored the NamesCon program guide.

Also, a funny note to those who aren't aware:

upload_2016-2-25_9-55-22.png

http://tldinvestors.com/2014/07/the...brand-root-poised-to-unseat-brand-bucket.html

•••
JimJammy, I don't know either. What I am saying is that if a seller decides to join this platforms and applies at the same time to BB, BR, etc., BB will get a first look at names, because BR will take a year to just approve a seller...
IF he is making a very nice income doing exactly what he is doing, at his own pace, in his own time I can understand why he wouldn't want to change that just to be bigger/better than someone else.

First look at the names or not, looking at the sales he lists on his site he is clearly close to BB yet only has a quarter of the inventory. Officially, that makes him 3 or 4 more times successful doesn't it?

Having first pick or more names on his site doesn't necessarily mean he will sell more.

•••
I had applied months back and was finally accepted recently. To test the marketplace - I submitted a sample batch of 10 mid-quality names at the same time. 7 were rejected, and 3 are still sitting in queue for acceptance for a while. (which I am guessing they may be accepted since the others from the same batch were quickly rejected, and these names were higher in the list).

I am waiting to submit more domains to them as I wanted to see how the processed flowed first. Hopefully they will approve these soon. Though I also wonder if they are waiting until I submit a certain # of acceptable names (say 10) before they approve a batch. Some clarification might be helpful if anyone has any insight.

I am always interested in new Marketplaces, but no way to truly know until you have names of your own on there to draw conclusions from.

•••
Are you a brand ambassador, staff?

No and never would be. I want to use all markets that meet my goals, as well as being able to objectively comment good or bad on any.

•••
Surely there is no excuse for lack of communication in business, forget the reasons why they have or they haven't communicated feedback, its just common courtesy and good business practice to keep people updated isn't it. Waiting months and hearing nothing is not a way to do business imo.

•••
@Robozy and a couple others shared their 2015 results, I will do the same.

I have been an active seller on Brandroot since Dec 2014 and on BrandBucket since Oct. 2014.

My experience on Brandroot (BR)...

1) During 2015, I had 6 sales on 84 names listed with Brandroot ( 7% sales rate for 2015).

2) I currently have 119 names listed with Brandroot and already kicked off 2016 with a sale in January 2016.

3) I only ask 2 things of a broker - A) they sell product, and B) they pay promptly after the sale. Michael Rader (Brandroot) has met both these objectives consistently.

4) My experience dealing with Michael Rader? I am prompt to transfer when requested, my tone with Michael is respectable, and Michael has consistently responded the same way with me. He is brief in his responses and does not appear to be a conversationalist. Okay by me... He sells. He pays. That is all I care about! I hired the guy to do a job for me... and he is doing it well.

My opinion - When BrandBucket recently implemented their new $10 Listing Fee, they made a mistake. It has become a catalyst for many loyal BB sellers (those in the Top 50 account size and expanding) to rethink their channel partner strategy. What BB should have done was grandfathered their existing Top 50 members to not have to pay the new $10 Listing Fee (or at least provide them a discounted rate of only $5 per listing as a show of allegiance to top members). What BB should have done instead, was they should have only initiated the new Listing Fee requirement for new members and let it phase in over time as new members joined the site and expanded their inventory. BrandBucket's new Listing Fee along with Brandroot's higher sales rate opened the door for Brandroot to gain experienced product suppliers. (or at least caused many experienced sellers to think twice about giving BrandBucket 1st dibs on submissions) If BrandBucket want's to stop the bleeding, they should immediately offer 50% off their Listing Fees for their Top 50 members, otherwise there will be a consistent flow of capital and experienced members migrating to Brandroot.

I hope this overview is helpful...

-Jim

•••
Also... thought you might like to see my sales breakdown..

(1) 5L
(3) 6L
(2) 7L
(1) 8L

Hope it's helpful...

-Jim

•••
Also... thought you might like to see my sales breakdown..

(1) 5L
(3) 6L
(2) 7L
(1) 8L

Hope it's helpful...

-Jim

Thanks for info, Jim. How do your sales from BR compare with sales from BB? Are the names of comparable quality and similar category?

•••
@Recons.Com

Yes, near identical quality and naming styles. I submit names to each platform periodically and am benchmarking the 2 platforms based on $ produced / inventory count.

Units sold is less informative than assessing ($ dollars produced divided by total inventory supplied). On that note, for me BR outproduced BB by 3X for $ / units on shelf.

BB sales are more "high line" (higher $ / sale), but BR produced more cash-flow per total units on shelf.

FYI - I currently have over 220+ names on BB. My 2015 sales rate for BB was less than 2%.

Will I shift all-in to BR? Not yet, but it is on my radar for consideration. Like others, domains are an investment for me... and I vote with my wallet.

My current plan is to continue to expand my portfolios on both platforms, then will make adjustments in early 2017 when I review year-end 2016/2015 results.

Hope the response is helpful...

-Jim

•••
@Recons.Com

Yes, near identical quality and naming styles. I submit names to each platform periodically and am benchmarking the 2 platforms based on $ produced / inventory count.

Units sold is less informative than assessing ($ dollars produced divided by total inventory supplied). On that note, for me BR outproduced BB by 3X for $ / units on shelf.

BB sales are more "high line" (higher $ / sale), but BR produced more cash-flow per total units on shelf.

FYI - I currently have over 220+ names on BB. My 2015 sales rate for BB was less than 2%.

Will I shift all-in to BR? Not yet, but it is on my radar for consideration. Like others, domains are an investment for me... and I vote with my wallet.

My current plan is to continue to expand my portfolios on both platforms, then will make adjustments in early 2017 when I review year-end 2016/2015 results.

Hope the response is helpful...

-Jim

BB just reported Jan sales. Annualized, it is about 3.8% sale rate. What do you think of that?

•••
BB just reported Jan sales. Annualized, it is about 3.8% sale rate. What do you think of that?

@Recons.Com

A couple thoughts...

1) well... 1st... it appears someone is doing better than me. glad they shared that data and also glad to hear others are having better success on the platform. :-,

2) the data would be more informative if you separated out out sales from "Ambassadors & BB Management" accounts and provided a sales rate number for "all others". Why do I suggest this? Well, BB Mgmt has a unique selling advantage of seeing exact Search Metrics. The typical seller on the platform (you & I) do not have this data to assess and provide product for. Generic category results are not the same as exact "search term" metrics. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they provide, but I am an analyst by trade and like to draw my own conclusions based on supporting detail specifics.

3) 3.8% < 7 % (had to toss that out)

4) As I briefly mentioned in my earlier (above) posts... "$ produced / inventory units on shelf" is a better standard as it normalizes units sold to cash-flow produced / total units on shelf. All inventory has cost, not just those sold. I focus on average $ produced per item listed. Gives a better sense of overall production.

Another way to look at it... shelf space is key in retail. All retailers measure "$ produced per square foot of retail space" as a metric to determine individual store success. Translate that to the internet... and you end up with a similar formula of "average $ produced per units listed".... then you bench against average cogs and you get a sense of how you are doing.

My suggestion to BB, BR and others is to segment their data and show what products sell better... this would give product providers (domain owners) a true sense of what sells and what doesn't on their platforms.

Hope I answered your question...

-Jim

•••
Around 4 weeks ago or a bit more i've submitted a name to Brandroot and since that time i got no reply from them about if they accept it or rejected it.
1 weeks ago i sent a mail to their support in order to get information.
Never got a reply.. is this normal for Brandroot?
I'm at the first contact with them.. at least brandbucket send a mail also if the name is rejected.

Do you guys thing that i should have to wait more?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back