Dynadot

BrandRoot Experience...

NameSilo
Watch

gina ferrano

Established Member
Impact
Since there's a thread for Namerific and BB, I started a thread on BR. What are people's experiences?
Jury is still out...not sure if I should submit more names, as names pending in the cue waiting for logos jumped back 20 spaces. What's the turn around time? On the front end, names being approved are on par with namerific, BB is very slow, w/o a yay or a nay, though maybe once the names are approved it may be faster going into the description, logo stage.

Also, paying more than $100 on logos for names valued at under 2k, is it worth it to pay more. Does it make a difference? How long to wait till name is published? Do the logo designers pick and choose? The $10 fee, what does that insure? The idea behind BR is a sped up process, how long must one wait...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
However, when invested BrandBucket members noticed that BrandRoot was selling at above a 6% annualized sell rate this month, it sets a panic that if BrandBucket loses it's hype, the reseller market will decline as it slowly has throughout the year.

This is an unverified number.

I say this because I was lead to believe this number was accurate, however, it would be naive of me to accept this without verifying the data. I have yet to verify the data, and wish to retract my statement. It is irresponsible for me to spread unverified data without notifying the community of the data being unverified.

I just started looking into the data, and at the very beginning, I found an isolated concern...

•••
@Grilled My current annualized rate of sale on Brandroot since the beginning of 2016 is 4.5%.

•••
Hi Everyone,

Good news... I just had another sale on Brandroot. D*U*X*R*O (.com)

That is 3 sales in the first 15 weeks of 2016... with only 122 currently listed.

2016: With 3 of 122 sold YTD, I am currently trending at 8% (annualized)
2015: I had 6 of 84 sold = 7%

-Jim

ps: FYI - I happen to focus on 5L - 8L names. YMMV.

•••
I just had an other sale as well. This is my 4th sale out of 44 names this year. I started to add names to BR late 2015. Thanks BR!

•••
I just had an other sale as well. This is my 4th sale out of 44 names this year. I started to add names to BR late 2015. Thanks BR!
Can you disclose the name? Thanks

•••
My BrandRoot Experience

Start Date (Estimated): February 1, 2016
Published Domains: 23
Sold: 1

The sale
Type: CVCVCV.com
Listed: February 2016
Sold: May 2016
Amount: $1,000 (Not BIN Price)
Net: $590 (Logo: $100 | Commission: $300 | Listing Fee $10)

[Cynical PS] $10 listing fee's are too high for me to become a volume BR seller.

•••
My BrandRoot Experience

The sale

[Cynical PS] $10 listing fee's are too high for me to become a volume BR seller.

Why $10 is too high? How is it different form BB $9 to influence the volume?

One sale will pay for listing fee for 100 to 150 domains.

I intent to grow my portfolio with BR to 300-700 size.

•••
Why $10 is too high? How is it different form BB $9 to influence the volume?

My primary investment is my domain purchases. I'd rather use my upfront funds to purchase better quality domains. I don't want to get stuck with thousands of dollars in listing fee's if BrandRoot doesn't meet my expectations.

I left BrandBucket with over $1,000 in paid listing fee's I no longer use. I understand I can return to them, and my listing fee's will no longer be "wasted" but until then, it's wasted money to me. Yes, I could resell them and recoup some of the funds, but the reseller market has significantly declined.

I don't have a portfolio of logo's to apply to be a logo designer. I'd like to use a friend and/or multiple freelance designers to design logos in bulk at either an upfront or backend after the sale fee. Perhaps, I can just have my friends / freelancers submit their portfolio?

IMO, the following is better than $10/listing fee + $100+ logo.

$5 listing fee + $5 to independent logo designer + optional bonus if logo sells
$5 listing fee + $100+ logo fee when domain sells

Last edited:
•••
My primary investment is my domain purchases. I'd rather use my upfront funds to purchase better quality domains. I don't want to get stuck with thousands of dollars in listing fee's if BrandRoot doesn't meet my expectations.

I left BrandBucket with over $1,000 in paid listing fee's I no longer use. I understand I can return to them, and my listing fee's will no longer be "wasted" but until then, it's wasted money to me. Yes, I could resell them and recoup some of the funds, but the reseller market has significantly declined.

I don't have a portfolio of logo's to apply to be a logo designer. I'd like to use a friend and/or multiple freelance designers to design logos in bulk at either an upfront or backend after the sale fee. Perhaps, I can just have my friends / freelancers submit their portfolio?

IMO, the following is better than $10/listing fee + $100+ logo.

$5 listing fee + $5 to independent logo designer [Bonus for sold logo optional]
$5 listing fee + $100+ logo fee when domain sells

BR announced somewhere here that for BB listed names, they will waive listing fee.

•••
One sale will pay for listing fee for 100 to 150 domains
It would be nice if my sale equated to 100 - 150 listing fee's, but unfortunately, my sale only yielded 60.
BR announced somewhere here that for BB listed names, they will waive listing fee.
Is this a promotion open to everyone? limited time? free listing fee's for ALL BB listed domains? Accepted?

Yes, this would cover the loss of my BB investment, but it doesn't solve my issue of volume investing going forward.

What if BrandBucket started offering free listing fee's for BrandRoot domains? Either:

(1) Loyal BrandBucket sellers will acquire BrandRoot domains (via drops or resellers) and list for free with BrandBucket.

(2) BrandRoot may delete your entire account if you de-list to list with BrandBucket (As reported by another NP member)

I doubt BrandBucket plans to match this because it goes against their supposed proprietary acceptance method that's not influenced by outside appraisals. This game could continue as competition increases throughout all brandable marketplaces but to what end?

Last edited:
•••
My BrandRoot Experience

The sale

To clear the negativity that my opinions about listing fee's, commission fees, exclusivity, and logo fee's may have brought, the transaction itself was a very positive experience. IMO, among great communication, two important details that make up a smooth domain transaction is: how soon will the seller get paid, and how soon will the buyer receive their domain.

Here's some added details about the transaction itself:

BrandRoot: Email - Domain sold confirmation with clear instructions on how to initiate the push.3:37 PM
Me: Responded to update the push had been initiated on my end. 3:49 PM
5 day later
Me: Noticed the domain hit buyers account, and emailed requested payment. 12:50 PM
BrandRoot: Sent payment, and emailed back to confirm. 1:02 PM

Notice, the response time between emails, 12 minutes for both the seller and buyer. Perfect communication on both parties is perhaps the very definition of a smooth transaction.

Last edited:
•••
Did anyone get a mail from Brandroot asking to verify your account "to ensure that you are alive"? I am still able to log into my account after getting a message that my account has been closed because I did not verify.

Is it a phishing mail or some technical glitch?

•••
•••
I am very worried about how fast the number of names grows and whether this will be matched by the growth of sales.

•••
Did anybody else notice a change in their BrandRoot listing fee's?

upload_2016-6-7_18-6-33.png

2) We are extremely picky on who we accept as logo designers and currently we are not taking on any others as we do not have a current need, but yes logo designers pay only $5 for listing fees.

Granted, the $5 domainer / designer programmer isn't open to all, I'm going to show my support of the recent listing fee reduction by publishing a few approved domains at $10 $8 each B-)

•••
Published Domains: 22 (2 more pending logo's)
Sold:
2​
Last Sale: qVCCVVC.com
Sold: June 2016
Amount: $1,700 (Not BIN Price)
Net: $1090 (Logo: $100 | Commission: $510 | Listing Fee $10)

upload_2016-6-8_21-39-48.png

BR took a few days longer to process my payment for this sale. In response to an emailed concern, they stated that everything was fine, and payment can take up to two weeks. I wasn't happy with that response because the buyer had my domain in their account for 6 days. Nonetheless, BR provided payment a few hours after notifying me payments can take up to two weeks for sellers to receive PayPal funds.

I'm still against listing fee's and exclusivity, though I can't ignore that for me, BR is showing a strong ROI in a relatively small sample size / short amount of time.

Last edited:
•••
I am very worried about how fast the number of names grows and whether this will be matched by the growth of sales.

How many domains do you have listed / have you sold with BR if you don't mind me asking?

•••
My experience with BR is they have yet to acknowledge my application. I applied last month.Compared to the market leader in this space this does not seem normal.

•••
I'm still against listing fee's and exclusivity, though I can't ignore that for me, BR is showing a strong ROI in a relatively small sample size / short amount of time.
Congratulations! About 50 names during 6 months, and no any sales for me...

•••
Congratulations! About 50 names during 6 months, and no any sales for me...

Thanks for sharing @Simdes

Feel free to PM me your BR portfolio link. I'd be happy to look at your portfolio, and suggest some better tags if need be.

Proper placement can be the difference between selling and not selling when simply sitting back, relaxing a bit, and allowing an exclusive marketplace to go work for listing fee + 30% + logo fee for selling a hand regged domain for :$:,:$::$::$:

Last edited:
•••
"Type: CVCVCV.com"

Ok, I give up - what does this mean? Some sort of code?

•••
"Type: CVCVCV.com"

Ok, I give up - what does this mean? Some sort of code?

Thanks for asking :D

C
VCVCV =
A searchable pattern

C= Consonant
V= Vowel
C= Consonant
V= Vowel
C= Consonant
V= Vowel

Example: Raviga, Kidore, Duroza, Etc...

•••
Update: I am disappointed with BR. I had at least 18 names where I paid listing fees. And at some point I'd gotten a message to sign a new document, though I had contacted them with a question before signing off, I was given no warning that they would actually delete my account. The owner basically said sorry nothing I can do. No credit, no real apology, no try again. Basically, you can try Brandbucket was their suggestion. Never was on the site long enough to sell a name. Would not recommend based on my experience.

•••
Update: I am disappointed with BR. I had at least 18 names where I paid listing fees. And at some point I'd gotten a message to sign a new document, though I had contacted them with a question before signing off, I was given no warning that they would actually delete my account. The owner basically said sorry nothing I can do. No credit, no real apology, no try again. Basically, you can try Brandbucket was their suggestion. Never was on the site long enough to sell a name. Would not recommend based on my experience.

Hi Gina,

You should have received several emails before your account was actually deleted. I believe we send at least 5. This is actually the only time we've had an account actually get deleted by our system and it was irreversible (which was stated in the several emails sent to you). Can you please send me the question you asked before it was deleted? I cannot find this.

This is the content of the final email we sent, which included a real apology:

"I understand, I'm very sorry. This was an automatic feature to keep our site updated and fresh and to ensure all of our sellers are active/alive and comply with our terms. The automatic feature took your lack of response as a either you not being available or that you did not agree to our terms, which I see now wasn't the case."

Last edited:
•••
Anyone here selling any names on brandroot? Wondering if more sales would come from their marketplace having far less listed domains then brand bucket

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back