IT.COM

Namerific vs Brandbucket vs Brandroot vs others

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

muttus

Established Member
Impact
Hi NPs,

I would like to start discussion to get as much knowledge about existing marketplaces in to one nice thread. I know there are specific threads for each marketplace but I think it is good to compare them to get good picture. I have been submitting domains to both Namerific and Brandbucket till now and had few accepted in BB.

These are my thoughts please feel free to contest them.

Namerific
+ Faster reply 2-3 weeks
+ Free to list
+ More focused on 2 words and descriptive
+ Seller chooses the price
+ You can still have the for sale in other places

- Rejection rate?
- Outreach ?
- Size of database? - I am worried that if you have so many names one more will just get lost, nobody wants to go through more then couple dozen names

Brandbucket
+ Free to list after voting
+ Focus on word hacks and short pronounceable names without meaning
+ Probably most visible and marketed
+ Search options?

- Long waiting period 4+ weeks
- Require exclusivity
- Size of database? - I am worried that if you have so many names one more will just get lost, nobody wants to go through more then couple dozen names

Brandroot - please submit your ideas

Others - please submit you ideas

Now to the questions.
Where do you place you brandables?

Where do you think is highest chance to sell and why?

What is your average success rate for submission and sale?

Do you submit your brandables according to main focus of the marketplace?

Bad vs good experience?

Are there any official sales numbers for each marketplace?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To BrandRoot's defense, they need to make sure people aren't selling their names out the backdoor. I think that's the basic gist of those terms.

If that's happening, then they need to go after the people who are violating their contract, not the people who obeyed the contract but Brandroot failed to sell. That's a sign of seriously bad management.

•••
That seems to be Grilled's strategy. He has names at both BrandBucket and BrandRoot.

@Keith DeBoer Currently, I only have domains published with Namerific and BrandRoot. I thought you were aware I removed my bb domains... Were you mistaken because I've been on NP bidding on some bb published domains for $XX lately?

I am happy to keep them published on bb for 30 days, effectively giving them a 30 day shot clock to sell my newly acquired domain for $X,XXX, before I delist and submit them to nonexclusive such as AfterNic, Sedo, Namerific, etc...

Last edited:
•••
To BrandRoot's defense, they need to make sure people aren't selling their names out the backdoor. I think that's the basic gist of those terms.

In equal respect of their ToS, perhaps br sellers should obfuscate the domain if they choose to sell their br published domains for $XX BIN via NamePros.

upload_2016-6-6_2-15-1.png

Last edited:
•••
I emailed BrandBucket this week and asked what they do for sellers, beyond what is done by Sedo and Afternic. To summarize the response -- nothing. They just put a logo on it and charge a LOT more.

•••
I sold another hand reg at br earlier this month. I have had more br sales than bb sales this year. I don't have many domains listed with br, 22 currently, yet I have found some success with them this year. I don't want to mislead anybody. This is simply my experience.

For those who are new to br, and are considering acquiring domains via the reseller market, I caution you to consider the domain itself, and not just the suggested value when making your br reseller domain purchase.

upload_2016-6-9_0-45-32.png

•••
I emailed BrandBucket this week and asked what they do for sellers, beyond what is done by Sedo and Afternic. To summarize the response -- nothing. They just put a logo on it and charge a LOT more.

Feel free to share the full response.

I'm interested in hearing what bb has to say, maybe more so now, since @margotb and @michaeljkrell been relatively quiet on NamePros lately.

•••
OK... I've removed the names. Read from bottom up.

=====
Hello *,

All of our names get published and featured in our newsletter 1 time, and added to the website chronologically by date published. Some may remain there longer that others though as it depends on the queue.

Buyers come to us with a specific budget and industry in mind for their startup and based on the information they provide to us our sales team searches our entire database and offers potential names and links to these searches which include everyones names filtered to these specific needs.

In the past, we have reached out to potential buyers directly, but this has typically only been done with high value domains. With that being said, if you are aware of a possibly interested buyer for one of your domains, we would be happy to reach out on your behalf.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best, *
========

Hi *-

Thank you for the fast and detailed reply. From what I gather, no marketing or promotion is done at all for my domains – just generalized marketing for your website? That’s the same as Sedo and Afternic – or perhaps I’m missing something here. Are you making calls and pitches to potential buyers? Are you specifically mentioning specific domains for sale in your promotions?

Thanks! *
=========
Hello *,

Thank you for contacting us.

BrandBucket's 2015 sales topped $2.4 million with 801 names sold.That is an average sales price of nearly $3K. However, please keep in mind that we cannot guarantee a specific timeline for each name to sell. Unlike keyword name which have a tangible value, brandable names require the right buyer to come along and fall in love with the name. Though some of our names sell within weeks of being listed, and some take over 2 years. However, we do believe that we can sell your domains of this type faster (and for more money) than any other marketplace out there. You should also remember that the $10 listing fee will last for the entire duration of the listing regardless of the time it takes to sell.

We ask for exclusivity because we have worked hard to build relevant traffic, a strong base of repeat buyers, and we have a large marketing budget for advertising and partner programs. More than any other marketplace we are investing in getting your name sold. We have also seen many times that if a buyer sees a name for sale in more than one place on the web, a level of overall distrust is created and they walk away from purchasing the name at all (since many buyers are new to domain purchases, and they don't quite understand how multiple sites can all have the authority to sell one unique asset.)

Best, *
======
Hi -

I've been in the domain business for nearly 20 years, and thought I would
give you guys a try.

I've been using Sedo and Afternic for years with great success, and they are
worth the 10% - 15% commission. What specifically do you do to attract
buyers that warrants a triple commission plus listing fee plus an
exclusivity agreement?

Regards, *

•••
(Venting)

My experience with

BB: I don't like the 30% commission or the exclusivity or the $10 listing fee, but I've had nothing but quick and great customer service from them. They answer emails relatively quickly and they are nothing but polite in my experience.

BR: To this day my account hasn't been fully created. I signed up, all info was received, they said they'd get back to me. I waited a couple of weeks (maybe 4 weeks) before they sent me an email letting me know that my account was created. But, when I tried to log in, I got an error message stating that I didn't have an account. Actually in hindsight maybe I do have an account because I was one of those who received about 70 emails from them a couple of weeks ago with other people's account info.

Namerific: I can't with their customer service. I received an email about 4 weeks ago letting me know that there was an offer on the one domain I had with them. After about 2-3 emails back and forth with them, I asked them to accept the offer. Then silence - I heard nothing back for two weeks; no updates, nothing. I sent an email, to which I got no response. Eventually, they contacted me to let me know that the first potential buyer never responded to their invoice, but that there was a second lower offer on the table. Again, after a series of back and forth, I've heard nothing back now for maybe another 10 days to two weeks. Maybe the 2nd buyer walked away as well and that's fine, but I've been trying to call and I've emailed them; they haven't responded. Moreover, they're almost never online, and they apparantly don't pick up the phones.

I'm not sure how BR and Namerific expect to compete with BB if they aren't as helpful or as professional as BB. They both need to get their acts together imo

(End Rant)

•••
(Venting)

My experience with

BB: I don't like the 30% commission or the exclusivity or the $10 listing fee, but I've had nothing but quick and great customer service from them. They answer emails relatively quickly and they are nothing but polite in my experience.

BR: To this day my account hasn't been fully created. I signed up, all info was received, they said they'd get back to me. I waited a couple of weeks (maybe 4 weeks) before they sent me an email letting me know that my account was created. But, when I tried to log in, I got an error message stating that I didn't have an account. Actually in hindsight maybe I do have an account because I was one of those who received about 70 emails from them a couple of weeks ago with other people's account info.

Namerific: I can't with their customer service. I received an email about 4 weeks ago letting me know that there was an offer on the one domain I had with them. After about 2-3 emails back and forth with them, I asked them to accept the offer. Then silence - I heard nothing back for two weeks; no updates, nothing. I sent an email, to which I got no response. Eventually, they contacted me to let me know that the first potential buyer never responded to their invoice, but that there was a second lower offer on the table. Again, after a series of back and forth, I've heard nothing back now for maybe another 10 days to two weeks. Maybe the 2nd buyer walked away as well and that's fine, but I've been trying to call and I've emailed them; they haven't responded. Moreover, they're almost never online, and they apparantly don't pick up the phones.

I'm not sure how BR and Namerific expect to compete with BB if they aren't as helpful or as professional as BB. They both need to get their acts together imo

(End Rant)

@Brandroot @Namerific

•••
I've been curious as of late on the marketing tactics of BB. I've a domain that was appraised, suggested, and posted for slightly over $7k with them. Now I'm approaching the 1 year mark of it sitting there and I've lost hope in it. Not because I'm impatient, but merely because it is so far buried that if they aren't pushing it then what is the point? I had received a similar response as one of the above posters had written... that BB "reached out to potential buyers directly, but this has typically only been done with high value domains." But I don't believe this has happened. I don't want to send this off topic, hijack or complain: so mods can definitely delete this if need be. Just was interested in this thread enough to finally post. Albeit several months since it's last posting. Just seeking another marketplace, if its recommended.

•••
that BB "reached out to potential buyers directly, but this has typically only been done with high value domains."
I think their outbound marketing efforts focus on their marketplace, not their individual domains. I suppose it's possible they do outbound for high value names, but doubt $7K USD fits that bill.

FWIW I don't see you doing much better on either of the other 2 mentioned marketplaces, although I would not list on Namerific. You might be best served using your own lander and trying to do your own outreach. Depends on the name really.

•••
I think their outbound marketing efforts focus on their marketplace, not their individual domains. I suppose it's possible they do outbound for high value names, but doubt $7K USD fits that bill.

FWIW I don't see you doing much better on either of the other 2 mentioned marketplaces, although I would not list on Namerific. You might be best served using your own lander and trying to do your own outreach. Depends on the name really.

Thanks Brandworthy. I have been looking into reaching out on my own this time around or just turning it into a site myself and pushing my social media marketing experience into it.

(Don't know if I can put the domain in so Mods delete this if need be) The name is poiboi (dot) com, which I've grown rather fond of as of late, thus my idea to just build a presence behind it and go from there. I appreciate your comment and thoughts my friend.

•••
The name is poiboi (dot) com

How did you determine that this domain name has high value? Does it have a high number of type-ins, or is the poi business booming?

•••
How did you determine that this domain name has high value? Does it have a high number of type-ins, or is the poi business booming?

Thanks for your response WebInceptions. I am merely going off of BrandBuckets suggested value and sell price.

•••
Everything is a crap shoot Imo

This is how I feel about these sites

At Brandbucket
30% The favoritism on placement, the listing fee, the logo fee, and the amount of domains that are on there make it tough to go any further with bb. They do sell domains but do they have enough sales for the people that aren't the major share holders ?

Namerifiic
I do like that there is no exclusivity but do they make sales? I listed a bunch with them but no sales. I don't hear of any sales there. I have only heard of one person selling a domain there this year.

I haven't tried any other brand market places but I have better luck selling at afternic Sedo and godaddy and privately

Last edited:
•••
The name is poiboi (dot) com

Does this name has any other meaning? I couldn't find any reason to value it over $7K. if this name was submitted today 90% chance it would have been rejected, rest 10% chance it would have been accepted but with a price tag of $1595 to $1995.

The name is probably good but not worth $7K valuation unless I'm really missing something. Maybe you can let us know.

•••
Does this name has any other meaning? I couldn't find any reason to value it over $7K. if this name was submitted today 90% chance it would have been rejected, rest 10% chance it would have been accepted but with a price tag of $1595 to $1995.

The name is probably good but not worth $7K valuation unless I'm really missing something. Maybe you can let us know.

Thanks for your thoughts sweetdomains. I will be brutally honest when I say I had never thought about brandable domains when I was just randomly typing in domain ideas a year ago on my hosting site. I happened upon this one and figured I'd register it since it was available. I was going to build a dropship site behind it with men's clothing/jeans, but moved onto social media marketing/promotions instead. For fun, I'll admit, I submitted it to BrandBucket and that is what they appraised and suggested so I left it as is with that number. Now that I'm thinking of doing something with it or just setting up my own lander and maybe outreaching on my own, it is very good to hear all of your thoughts on it as I admit I am a complete novice to domains alone.

•••
Well, I'm about to ask the BB team to re-evaluate my submitted domains and if necessary remove some that they probably won't sell ..ever (I have some domains there for over two years)

@elmoakking maybe you could do the same, ie. ask them to re-evaluate your domain and see what happens? a current evaluation has much better chances to sell than a year old one.
Just a thought.

•••
Well, I'm about to ask the BB team to re-evaluate my submitted domains and if necessary remove some that they probably won't sell ..ever (I have some domains there for over two years)

@elmoakking maybe you could do the same, ie. ask them to re-evaluate your domain and see what happens? a current evaluation has much better chances to sell than a year old one.
Just a thought.

Thanks Hypersot. Any and all thoughts are appreciated, so thank you very much.

•••
Everything is a crap shoot Imo

This is how I feel about these sites

At Brandbucket
30% The favoritism on placement, the listing fee, the logo fee, and the amount of domains that are on there make it tough to go any further with bb. They do sell domains but do they have enough sales for the people that aren't the major share holders ?

Namerifiic
I do like that there is no exclusivity but do they make sales? I listed a bunch with them but no sales. I don't hear of any sales there. I have only heard of one person selling a domain there this year.

I haven't tried any other brand market places but I have better luck selling at afternic Sedo and godaddy and privately

I've had a sales at 3 venues this year brandbucket Namerific and BrandDo.

Nr was the easiest process.

However nr have been taking ages on descriptions and logos recently.

•••
I've had a sales at 3 venues this year brandbucket Namerific and BrandDo.

Nr was the easiest process.

However nr have been taking ages on descriptions and logos recently.

How many brandable domains have you had on each platform this year?

•••
Low numbers
Right now
38(7 to list) bb
19 (21 to list) nr
~6 bd

•••
•••
Ton of great information. to bad it's so old. Wish I would find it earlier... oh well
Maybe I'll start new post about domain Marketplace info Q&A

•••
Namerific 'non-exclusive'? That's funny. My acceptance rate at Namerific was about 3% and I had to wait as long as a month or more to get my domains reviewed. I don't

@Keith DeBoer Please PM your portfolio with asking price

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back