IT.COM

Brandroot are after Brandbucket listed names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello everyone.

Here is part of an eMail I got today from Brandroot. I have some names listed at Brandbucket; and Brandroot are offering incentives to transfer them.

"If you're interested in listing free with us, respond to this message for your personal coupon key, which you must use when you are on the edit domain details page (before you verify the name.)

Additionally, if you are interested in moving your names from BrandBucket to Brandroot, we offer great incentives to do so, including double the free listings, lower commission paid to us for the names you move over, and featured listings on a select few. If this interests you, please respond with the list of names you would move over and we will get back to you with what we can offer you and the names we would like to take to our site.

We have had a couple of individuals who have taken this opportunity and even sold a couple that were moved over within a month of being on our site. If you're not getting the expected results from your brandables at BrandBucket, give Brandroot an honest try. You most likely won't regret it.

Keep in mind that BrandBucket requires a 30 days notice for any names moved from their site."

I guess they're after everyones business in an aggressive way. I haven't sold any thing at Brandbucket; but I will leave my names there for now.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well I'm sure everyone took a pretty big hit with the changes BrandBucket just made.

BrandBucket has been the topdog of the brandable marketplaces since the beginning, and the only reason competitors were even able to join the market and have success was because most people couldn't or didn't want to pay the $10 listing fee.

So when BB just gave thousands of domains the opportunity to be listed for free, everyone ditched the other marketplaces to have their names listed at the leading marketplace.

At first I was a little worried BB was doing it out of desperation, especially since it came right after a period of almost nonexistent domain approvals and processing, but now I'm starting to think it may have been a strategic move to hurt the competition.

(That said, I'm still a little disappointed at the quality of some of the names that BB started accepting)

•••
I had my names listed before the freebies so I missed out there.
To be honest, I don't think that $10 is too bad to list on Brandbucket. I just wish they were a little quicker with approvals or rejections.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
Companies have now caught onto the whole "brandable domain" charade. I can hand reg 10 brandables tomorrow that are better than 60% of the trite they have on their site, and so can other companies.

I will be dumping a lot of "brandables" unless they are TRULY good quality brandable names, unlike "janinja", "cheatly", "jurable", "okebu" etc...

It's just gibberish with a price tag.

Single word, or two word short .COM's that make sense are truly brandable, and companies are willing to pay $30k and up for quality names instead of spending $2,000 on junk.

Their "free listing" strategy is a bit of desperation as well, they know whats going on, and what's to come of 'brandables'.

•••
Companies have now caught onto the whole "brandable domain" charade. I can hand reg 10 brandables tomorrow that are better than 60% of the trite they have on their site, and so can other companies.

I will be dumping a lot of "brandables" unless they are TRULY good quality brandable names, unlike "janinja", "cheatly", "jurable", "okebu" etc...

Single word, or two word short .COM's that make sense are truly brandable, and companies are willing to pay $30k and up for quality names instead of spending $2,000 on junk.

Their "free listing" strategy is a bit of desperation as well, they know whats going on, and what's to come of 'brandables'.
Glad someone has the nads to speak up about this nonsense. Think of a cutesy-pie word or word combination (the more absurd the better!) and stick a lame $2 logo next to it and pretend you know jack sh*t about marketing sense. What a joke.

•••
While most of the "brand" names at these sites I wouldn't want for free, the reality is they do sell enough to run a business, and there are buyers for these willing to pay 4 & 5 figures.

I don't get some of the recent .tv prices (some I do, many I don't), but that doesn't make them any less real for those profiting from it.

•••
•••
•••
Here is part of an eMail I got today from Brandroot. I have some names listed at Brandbucket; and Brandroot are offering incentives to transfer them.
I don't like it. That kind of business tactics smacks of desperation. Slightly unethical in my view.

'Brandables' are not all equal. Some are good, some are very good, some are just creative but not outstanding, some would qualify as garbage but this can be subjective too...

Nowadays domainers attach the 'brandable' label to any meaningless or unpronounceable domain. But the true really good brandable domains are not that many... I don't these names qualify as really good quality brandables.

I actually think BB used to own better inventory, but now that they opened the flood gates to domainers, the quality is lower due to relaxed selection criteria.

•••

Glad someone has the nads to speak up about this nonsense. Think of a cutesy-pie word or word combination (the more absurd the better!) and stick a lame $2 logo next to it and pretend you know jack sh*t about marketing sense. What a joke.

While I completely agree that the brandable marketplace is ridiculous compared to standard domaining and has been hyped up far too much by new domainers looking for an easy "lottery" without putting in the time and money to register aftermarket domains, I think you guys are being a bit ignorant.

First off, why would companies just now have this sudden epiphany that it's all a charade? 7 years ago theses companies could have hand regged 10 brandables that would be even better than those 10 you could go reg now, yet they've still managed to pump 7 figures into brandbucket alone since then.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen, but I don't think brandables and the brandable marketplaces are going anywhere. Contrary to your beliefs, I actually think brandable marketplaces are genius from a marketing standpoint and most definitely an entrepreneurial standpoint. Only briefly skimming over the way Margot formed BB I'm not sure if she just got lucky and it kind of fell in her lap as she was trying to trim the fat from her portfolio, or if she shares the same views that I do, but so many people bash brandables and call the marketplace stupid, but the issue is stupid domainers. 1st look at it from an economic perspective, and forgive me for this upcoming tangent.

Every single day people start online and offline businesses big and small , develop apps, software and games, create new products, foods, technologies, and so much more. For the most part these individuals, companies, startups, products, and so on are all going to need a name/brand, which means there is a massive demand, and as economics 101 has taught us, demand facilitates the creation of markets.

So as we all know the huge demand for names, the same demand that is the reason domaining even exists, results in a market that's even more huge. Huge markets with huge demand allow for segmentation. With market segments catered to different types of consumers there will be some that have a large budget and see a 30k+ generic keyword domain as the most suitable option or the best fit for their brand, but the amount of companies that realize value in domain names, can afford $30k+ premium name, AND find the exact generic keyword/s that match their service or product is waaaaayy fewer than in any of the other domain markets.

The majority of endusers, however, couldn't fathom spending that amount on a domain name, and wouldn't have the budget to do so even if they could. Several won't even see the value in a quality name, and do just as you said by picking up a handreg themselves. That still leaves thousands and thousands of end users that look to the aftermarkets for a name and they likely don't have an issue investing $xxx-$2xxx in their brand.

Some people even prefer brandable names over generic keywords, and I'm often one of them. (I hate saying this because the name listser is my only brandable I don't like lol..oops) But if I create a product, business, app, game, anything that I plan on maintaining and building long-term, I would prefer a name that I can build a brand on instead of a keyword name10 times out of 10. For instance something like 3dprinter.com which let's say costs $100,000. I would kill to have this domain for domaining purposes, but a 6 letter pronouncable name that I found and loved for $2,000 and $98,000 for brand building and awareness would take the cake everytime. Some names I can understand, but I've never understood the ungodly amounts of money some people pay for generic keywords and EMDs, then just get outranked for their own domain keywords by quality content and better SEO.

Before the brandable marketplace came into existence though, anyone who just wanted a brandable name instead of a keyword name didn't really have a way to target them. Sedo and GD are so ridiculously overloaded with names for sale that most of the names listed will never even get noticed, especially if the domain doesn't have any root word to search for, and browsing categories to look for them becomes overwhelming. When taking into account an enduser that is unfamiliar with the platforms, the marketplaces are the furthest thing from user friendly. So like every successful entrepreneur in history, BrandBucket noticed a demand that wasn't being met, created a market to meet the demand, and the market has only grown since. In addition, the "cheap $2 logos" made shopping much more user friendly and allowed for domains to stand out instead of run together like the pages and pages of 200 domains listed in 12px font. And all they had to do to improve their marketplace was offer designers the possibility of $100 that didn't even come out of BBs cut. And in true monopoly fashion they charged the highest comissions in the industry, but still had people lining up to get names approved because brandable sales were nearly impossible before their market came along.

Finally wrapping this rant up, the brandable sites have used seo to target actual brandable enduser keyword phrases and searches. And I've done some seo and developing of brand related websites in the past, and the industry is much larger than you would think. Brand development and consulting keywords are all around $9+ cpc on average. You give humanity too much credit by saying they could just go reg their own, because a ton of people have no creativity whatsoever, and aren't aware of what makes a domain valuable. With keyword domains you can tell which names have been taken for years, but with most brandables you can't differentiate. And even if you hand-regged it a few weeks back, the enduser buying it could care less, because it was a domain that stood out to them and suited their needs giving it a $xxxx value that they didn't see in any aged premium keyword names.

The same way that domaining became less profitable and died down a few years back when it became popular and seemed easy, the brandables will become less profitable and seem to die down because everyone saw people actually selling domains that they made up and hand-regged for xxxx, so every swinging dick regged the first 20 they could find for a chance to get rich quick. It's disappointing so many crap names did just get added, but after looking at a list of 680 domains that sold on BB and seeing name after name that I would never even think to waste reg fee on, anything is possible I guess..

Wow I just went on a roll and wrote a damn novel..

•••
Well I'm sure everyone took a pretty big hit with the changes BrandBucket just made.

BrandBucket has been the topdog of the brandable marketplaces since the beginning, and the only reason competitors were even able to join the market and have success was because most people couldn't or didn't want to pay the $10 listing fee.

So when BB just gave thousands of domains the opportunity to be listed for free, everyone ditched the other marketplaces to have their names listed at the leading marketplace.

At first I was a little worried BB was doing it out of desperation, especially since it came right after a period of almost nonexistent domain approvals and processing, but now I'm starting to think it may have been a strategic move to hurt the competition.

(That said, I'm still a little disappointed at the quality of some of the names that BB started accepting)

By what metric is it topdog? Imo, a website that can get your listing online the same hour you pay for it (this is the 21st century) and can publicly show decent and consistent sale prices they can get for your names, will be the real topdog.

•••
I don't like it. That kind of business tactics smacks of desperation. Slightly unethical in my view.

'Brandables' are not all equal. Some are good, some are very good, some are just creative but not outstanding, some would qualify as garbage but this can be subjective too...

Nowadays domainers attach the 'brandable' label to any meaningless or unpronounceable domain. But the true really good brandable domains are not that many... I don't these names qualify as really good quality brandables.

I actually think BB used to own better inventory, but now that they opened the flood gates to domainers, the quality is lower due to relaxed selection criteria.

Guess I'm not done with my rant after all :p

But I just wanted to add that I hate the word "brandable" so much because:

1. BRANDABLE IS NOT A REAL WORLD

2. Everyone always throws out some random set of criteria that has to be met in order for a domain to be brandable. i.e., "The phone test" And yes, I agree that when choosing a "brandable" domain it would be in your best interest to pick a name that passes the phone test.
...BUT

3. If someone were to define "brandable" it would only be logical to combine the definitions of the root word and the meaning of the suffix, the same way that all of the real english definitions are created. And if we did that..
Brand - "name, term, design, symbol, or any other feature that identifies one seller's product distinct from those of other sellers."
+
Able - "can be done"
we would realize that if brandable was a real word..

4. I could create a new drink and call it "nfwfdgdioowowowow" and it tastes so good that it becomes as popular as coca-cola. And not one person can pronounce it, it has too many characters, and makes 0 sense, but when you go to the store and see a nice poster that says "nfwfdgdioowowowow" and you know exactly what it is. nfwfdgdioowowowow = brandable

And for anyone who feels confident they can differentiate between good and bad brandable domains, go to this link and prepare to be confused O_o http://tldinvestors.com/2013/07/brand-bucket-sales-inside-the-numbers.html

•••
unfortunately the names I submitted to brand root were not accepted, however they were accepted by brand bucket, strange...

•••
By what metric is it topdog? Imo, a website that can get your listing online the same hour you pay for it (this is the 21st century) and can publicly show decent and consistent sale prices they can get for your names, will be the real topdog.

While I agree it's faaar from perfect, I think most would agree it's still the top dog of the 3 by just about every metric related to sales.

It's been around the longest, generated over a million dollars in brandable name sales, and gets the most traffic.

•••
sorry, but you only "assist" in their marketing campaign, by creating such threads.

and that... may be the intent.

imo....

•••
Companies are still way behind domainers and most tech.

I worked in pharmaceutical advertising when I graduated college in 2002. I was in a meeting at GlaxoSmithKline and the marketing manager was talking about how they had just printed an ad and selected it's ad-buys already, so they weren't able to free up any money for our proposal.

While I was looking at the ad, I noticed something... they didn't include their URL on the AD.

Now here was a room of ad execs, brand managers, and VP's and nobody had noticed that their URL wasn't on the AD they just spent half a million dollars to produce and run.

Companies are always years behind technology and its usage, but that doesn't mean that they wont' catch up eventually.

Now they have caught up.

Companies want 'brandables', but not the trite Brandbucket is offering.

A company would much rather spend $20k on a domain name then have a laughable online presence for $5,000.

BrandBucket has had its heyday, and now it's over.

Yes they can continue to use sales 101 and SEO to target keywords for people looking for "business names", "business name ideas", "company names ideas" etc.. , but the days of the easy sell are over. You have to have quality brandable domains, or have such a high volume that the law of averages plays in your favor.

The next people to catch up will be small business, then the general public. This will still take 5 to 7 years, and yes nonsense brandables will still be profitable, but as of now big-business sees right through the charade which is the reason behind the lower prices and increased inventory.

This is the state of the market right now.

Good luck.

•••
One remarkable thing I saw recently is a newer rheumatoid arthritis medication named, of all things, Xeljanz. Xeljanz? So I guess if that's a trend, then Brandbucket is ahead of its time and truly genius. More power to ya, Brandbucketeers! Go get 'em all you cutting edge Domenduzeromanipulatrons!

•••
You have to have quality brandable domains, or have such a high volume that the law of averages plays in your favor.

If you take out the word "brandable" you have described every domain portfolio holder.

You have to have quality domains, or have such a high volume that the law of averages plays in your favor.

I guess I don't understand why people get so worked up and are quick to foreshadow the downfall of others. BB/Namerific/BR aren't doing anything to discredit the domaining industry. They are making money, are helping others make money, and operate ethical businesses. With all the vitriol going on, you would think they are running a pyramid scheme or something.

•••
One remarkable thing I saw recently is a newer rheumatoid arthritis medication named, of all things, Xeljanz. Xeljanz?

Ha! Yes, I saw that as well!

•••
Facebook, Google, Instagram, and YouTube are all brandable domains. There is no domaining w/o brandables.
So what all the moaning is about is lower quality brandables. It happens.
Brandable is an adjective based on the verb "brand" not the noun.
It is a word. When anyone uses said word, everyone here knows what is meant. The dictionaries add words after people manifest them.
That's why English is the de facto standard for business, science, and academia. It is versatile because it evolves.

Brandable marketplaces aren't going anywhere.
Even though new words are coming into existence, new companies, sites, and products arise even faster.
New GTLDs are trying to solve the same problem that brandables do.
The difference is that a coined word is much easier to trademark and much easier to rank # 1 thru 10 for, than a generic GTLD.

Last edited:
•••
One of the stupidest names I've seen is Kasasa, and it's a fairly significant brand. It even fails the radio test. The thing about the "brandable marketplaces" I just don't get is, why would a company want a logo attached with a domain when the logo may not even remotely reflect the company's product or service, even if the name seems to work. To me the whole thing is completely back asswards. In the far majority of cases, companies develop a product and then find a name and possibly a logo that is a good fit. What kind of business goes shopping for a name and then tries to build something out of it? I know it is done, but most often it's counter-intuitive.

•••
Companies are still way behind domainers and most tech.

I worked in pharmaceutical advertising when I graduated college in 2002. I was in a meeting at GlaxoSmithKline and the marketing manager was talking about how they had just printed an ad and selected it's ad-buys already, so they weren't able to free up any money for our proposal.

While I was looking at the ad, I noticed something... they didn't include their URL on the AD.

Now here was a room of ad execs, brand managers, and VP's and nobody had noticed that their URL wasn't on the AD they just spent half a million dollars to produce and run.

Companies are always years behind technology and its usage, but that doesn't mean that they wont' catch up eventually.

Now they have caught up.

Companies want 'brandables', but not the trite Brandbucket is offering.

A company would much rather spend $20k on a domain name then have a laughable online presence for $5,000.

BrandBucket has had its heyday, and now it's over.

Yes they can continue to use sales 101 and SEO to target keywords for people looking for "business names", "business name ideas", "company names ideas" etc.. , but the days of the easy sell are over. You have to have quality brandable domains, or have such a high volume that the law of averages plays in your favor.

The next people to catch up will be small business, then the general public. This will still take 5 to 7 years, and yes nonsense brandables will still be profitable, but as of now big-business sees right through the charade which is the reason behind the lower prices and increased inventory.

This is the state of the market right now.

Good luck.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I see what point you're getting at with the first part of your message. I 100% agree that domainers speculating on tech names are years ahead of endusers, but technology has nothing to do with the majority of brandables. If anything your example shows how having a website has become the standard for businesses, which would further increase the demand for domains.

I don't see what businesses catching up means either. What are they catching up to? All of your thinking is centered around big business and large companies, but they don't even account for 1% of endusers. Not to mention big businesses likely already have an established brand and wouldn't be in the market for a brand anyways.

Right now, more than ever before, people are turning to the internet and e-commerce to make a living, and they likely have multiple small businesses that generate a portion of their overall income. That's the beauty of the internet. It's these individuals, developers, and small start ups that are in the market for a brand, and $20k is likely not even an option. For instance, a developer that creates a new app and expects to make maybe $50k would be in the market for something brandable and affordable. Same goes for software developers. And developers are more often than not going to have multiple apps and tools instead of one large project that generates enough to deem a $20k name valuable.

A guy who makes $40k a year on the side selling books out of his house may find something like "booketeer" and drop $1k-$2k to make it his brand. A mom that's been saving to start a small online boutique that makes $60k a year would see $2k for a posh sounding made up word a reasonable investment. THESE are the endusers that make up the brandable marketplace. Go look at all of the names sold in the past on BB and see what they were used for. I promise you won't find any big businesses.

Lastly, you're exactly right, as a domainer it would not be wise to reg 100 brandables and hope to sell one. A lot of newbies will make this mistake and get burnt, but that is the domainers fault. The marketplaces just provide the market and take a cut, and there is no denying that there are endusers in the market for brandables. Period.

Facebook, Google, Instagram, and YouTube are all brandable domains. There is no domaining w/o brandables.
So what all the moaning is about is lower quality brandables. It happens.
Brandable is an adjective based on the verb "brand" not the noun.
It is a word. When anyone uses said word, everyone here knows what is meant. The dictionaries add words after people manifest them.
That's why English is the de facto standard for business, science, and academia. It is versatile because it evolves.

Brandable marketplaces aren't going anywhere.
Even though new words are coming into existence, new companies, sites, and products arise even faster.
New GTLDs are trying to solve the same problem that brandables do.
The difference is that a coined word is much easier to trademark and much easier to rank # 1 thru 10 for, than a generic GTLD.

Ok let me rephrase. Brandable is a "word", but there is not an agreed upon definition that makes one person right or wrong as to what is a brandable name.

And while you are correct, just for arguments sake, brandable could be an adjective based on the verb or noun and still make sense. For instance, something fashionable is something related to the noun fashion. Regardless, the point that there is no set criteria that makes something brandable by definition remains the same haha

One of the stupidest names I've seen is Kasasa, and it's a fairly significant brand. It even fails the radio test. The thing about the "brandable marketplaces" I just don't get is, why would a company want a logo attached with a domain when the logo may not even remotely reflect the company's product or service, even if the name seems to work. To me the whole thing is completely back asswards. In the far majority of cases, companies develop a product and then find a name and possibly a logo that is a good fit. What kind of business goes shopping for a name and then tries to build something out of it? I know it is done, but most often it's counter-intuitive.

I'm a designer at all 3 marketplaces and the owners of the sites all say hardly anyone uses the logos after buying a name, but they all care so much about the logo because it comprises the aesthetics of their own brand. Consumer psychology is crazy, but the smallest things like design and presentation can subconsciously influence a consumers perceptions and buying habits.

In my rant earlier I kind of touched on it and said "In addition, the "cheap $2 logos" made shopping much more user friendly and allowed for domains to stand out instead of run together like the pages and pages of 200 domains listed in 12px font. And all they had to do to improve their marketplace was offer designers the possibility of $100 that didn't even come out of BBs cut" I think the logos are awesome from a consumer standpoint, and it also makes the names pop out at you to give you more of an idea of the brands "wow factor" (not sure if that's the phrase I'm looking for).

It does suck from a sellers standpoint though since you have to give up a decent chunk to the designer when you make a sale, but the site owner can't design them all, and the only way to get designers to work for free is if there is the possibility of a worthwhile return in the future. The names sell for far more at brandable marketplaces than they would anywhere else though, so it kind of cancels out anyways.

•••
I'm a designer at all 3 marketplaces and the owners of the sites all say hardly anyone uses the logos after buying a name, but they all care so much about the logo because it comprises the aesthetics of their own brand. Consumer psychology is crazy, but the smallest things like design and presentation can subconsciously influence a consumers perceptions and buying habits.

In my rant earlier I kind of touched on it and said "In addition, the "cheap $2 logos" made shopping much more user friendly and allowed for domains to stand out instead of run together like the pages and pages of 200 domains listed in 12px font. And all they had to do to improve their marketplace was offer designers the possibility of $100 that didn't even come out of BBs cut" I think the logos are awesome from a consumer standpoint, and it also makes the names pop out at you to give you more of an idea of the brands "wow factor" (not sure if that's the phrase I'm looking for).
Those are very good points, the second of which I missed the first time around.

Interestingly, I just witnessed this phenomenon firsthand, which really hit home because it involved a domain I sold basically on the cheap here at NP. Several days later I just happened to spot the name that had sold on Ebay at a healthy profit, and I am convinced it was due to the fact the "flipper" had repackaged the domain, given it a flashy logo and font and, essentially, added hype. I was actually impressed.

•••
Those are very good points, the second of which I missed the first time around.

Interestingly, I just witnessed this phenomenon firsthand, which really hit home because it involved a domain I sold basically on the cheap here at NP. Several days later I just happened to spot the name that had sold on Ebay at a healthy profit, and I am convinced it was due to the fact the "flipper" had repackaged the domain, given it a flashy logo and font and, essentially, added hype. I was actually impressed.

Yep. People are attracted to aesthetics and they often don't even know it. I find myself skipping over awesome domains all the time because it's just little 12pt lowercase font surrounded by lowercase 12pt font.

It's especially nice for quick flipping to other domainers because they are even more likely to miss your name. After the time I browse my 3rd page at expireddomains for example I start scrolling faster and missing more and more domains. Then it just gets worse as I move on to the next place to browse.

Most important place to have a nice neat logo is at ebay. I just scroll and look at the picture, so all the people who don't put the domain name in the picture are idiots. SO MANY people don't do it too and I don't understand why at all.

•••
unless they are actually SELLING the names, I dont see why I should be paying ANY fees to get it just listed...I still like brandbucket but I always sell names of my own and while I have close to 10 decent names on bb (one of them being single dictionary word .com), none of them sold...so yeah...kinda disappointed. However, i sell domains every other day to both resellers and endusers but never sold a name via bb or namerific...I think thye now just want to listing money and they are happy with that...they dont care if your domains sell...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back