IT.COM

news .XYZ Planning “biggest sale the domain world has ever seen”

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
I saw the tweet below from .XYZ CEO Daniel Negari, and I reached out to him to see if he could share what he has planned for the company’s anniversary. From the looks of it, we are going to hear a lot about .XYZ domain names via domain name registrar channels and perhaps other outlets.

read more:

https://gen.xyz/two

Comment :

“biggest sale the domain world has ever seen" - Means what ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Talking about math/numbers...It seems to me that by getting domainers to buy up a whole lot of names (mainly bad ones) it will appear to justify the insane prices for so called premiums along with their inflated renewal fees. Lets face it there are not 2 million end users for xyz they are all held by domainers .one has more actual domains in use with only 57k registrations with no advertising. How can that be? Don't fall for it guys if it is becoming a bargain basement domain your money is wasted, all those pennies will equal dollars/pounds and come renewal time.... :xf.eek: Well we all know what will happen there.

•••
•••
So you guys think its worth it to grab some? and also do you guys think the resale values on the .xyz will be profitable in the next couple months?

No and no.

•••
IMO the reason for the sale is that .top is growing faster than .xyz and has almost as many registrations as them. If both compete on price and registration volume alone they will soon be giving them away for free.

.xyz now costs 2 yuan @ West.cn ($0.3) and .top costs 4 yuan. One can also see why .win and .bid got many registrations in China. Both cost 5 yuan.

https://namestat.org

Total registrations:

.xyz 2,790,864
.top 2,422,010

7 day avg:

.top 10872
.xyz 1040

•••
I just noticed another fact, they would know more than us at registry level.
.xyz already peaked and was entering the drop phase for registrations 2 days ago and numbers were obviously starting to fall. This might be a shareholder move if .xyz has shareholders? Trying to keep value up and this also fits in entirely with my post above.

•••
I just noticed another fact, they would know more than us at registry level.
.xyz already peaked and was entering the drop phase for registrations 2 days ago and numbers were obviously starting to fall. This might be a shareholder move if .xyz has shareholders? Trying to keep value up and this also fits in entirely with my post above.

.xyz isn't a publicly traded company.

•••
Trying to keep value up
They clearly don't worry about the value of .xyz just the meaningless volume.
They are sooting themselves in the foot in the long run.
E.g. .info is seen as cheap junk because at one time it was so cheap that spammers bought it in bulk and created crappy "made for adsense" minisites.

Why would they WANT to have their extension associated with "low quality", spam and scams. I don't get it. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
People said there would be a major drop after all the NetSol freebies expired. Now its more than double.

•••
People said there would be a major drop after all the NetSol freebies expired. Now its more than double.

That's what happens when the price is only .01 cent, .49 cent, .99 cent, etc.. as .xyz has been from most registrars for almost six months.

•••
Frankly..
.xyz should just set a standard renewal price of $1.99 and keep it there for the long-term.

1) More people would renew their names..

2) Long-term it would be extremely competitive against .com (talking about general end users).

•••
Godaddy missed the promotion, just an example...

Attachments

• xyz.GIF
    xyz.GIF
    12.2 KB · Views: 19
•••
That's what happens when the price is only .01 cent, .49 cent, .99 cent, etc.. as .xyz has been from most registrars for almost six months.

Yeah, and its been a couple years now and people still are grabbing them. Names that dropped got picked back up and then some.

End user interest on my names is still there.

I do agree that standard renewal prices should be much cheaper. I'd say in the $5 area. At $XX too many will drop eventually.

•••
Personally, I don't care much if the .XYZ is 0.1 or 1, or even 10 dollars.

I am buying keywords that I think I can sell for at least $xxx, not a load of crap...

•••
.plus .top .sucks.. it only makes sense with broken English (China)
No, it makes sense with many many languages - believe me, .top / .plus make sense with german language, it's my mother tongue.
Both terms are used in german language every day, both terms make sense in a 'highlighting' way - 'top' even more, although 'plus' is a german word (same meaning like in english).

.xyz make sense in a 'whatever' way.
This current promo price is very smart from the registry - 'cheaper is not possible'.
They know, it must be 'cheap', not free.

Last edited:
•••
Not a huge fan of .XYZ (though maybe I should've been, there seems to be some aftermarket activity going on with the extension) but @ $0.01 just couldn't resist. Not that there were anything worth registering anymore... Spend one hour and found these:

Breakroom
Parking Spot
Gringos

+ a couple of surnames and first names.

•••
This promotion makes me LESS likely to renew a few .xyz names that I have because I know it will further cheapen the whole extension and make my names less attractive to potential buyers.

•••
Probably a lot expired, so they are trying to offset the deletions with ultra-cheap new registrations.
The aim is to boost the registration count. But is that a meaningful measure of success ?
After all .tk is the biggest ccTLD.

•••
Screenshot made around 2:00 AM.
From https://gen.xyz/premiums
Let's see how much crapola like 6N or cccc is registered today.

2016-06-01--07-58-12.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Looks like things are heating up.

1 .xyz 2,856,681 65,817
2 .top 2,467,714 45,704

1 .top 17401
2 .xyz 10205

prices have officially hit a new low. .xyz is more less given away for free?

Uniregistry
$0.01
Pananames
$0.02
Regtons
$0.07

•••
Frankly..
.xyz should just set a standard renewal price of $1.99 and keep it there for the long-term.

1) More domainers would renew their names..

2) Long-term it would be extremely competitive against .com (talking about general domainers).
Corrected it.

Domainers may possibly renew more.

People, more specifically end users, aren't concerned with a yearly renewal fee of their $9.99 dot com; it's a nominal business fee compared to basic operational costs for things such as water and electricity.

•••
I think business owners don't care of they pay $1 or $10 a year. 1$ regs would attract personal blog owners, speculators, SEO and email spammers etc.

•••
Lol...I think ur math is a little wonky :P

at 1 cent each $100 will buy 1k domains, not 10k :)

I know its hard to believe but but it's rewally 10k for $100.

•••
1,000 pennies is 10 dollars/pounds

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back