IT.COM

new gtlds .XYZ: From 0 to 1 million registrations in the words of the CEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Daniel Negari posts about his journey of taking .XYZ from 0 to 1 million registrations.
The whole story is chronologically put up and provides a great account of building the .XYZ empire.

Great article and inspirational too!

Read the article on CEO.XYZ

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh you bought the .xyz portfolio with 21 of them listed and then they said hey they're free. Would love to see that e-mail, please post! :rolleyes:

No, I had domains in other extensions and after a few weeks I got these:

"
I got a bunch of these:

"
Dear xxxxx,

As a valued customer you are on the top of our minds.

We want to show you how much we appreciate your loyalty by rewarding you with complimentary access to a 1-year registration of a .XYZ domain, one of the hottest new domain extensions. .XYZ domains are proving to have broad appeal and also be extremely memorable. In addition to your complimentary domain, you'll also receive Professional Email and Private Registration for your .XYZ domain - free of charge.

"

I didn't buy anything from them. I only wanted some of the other domains in the portfolio I bought which were reg's at NameCheap.

•••
•••
P.S. that Google search was done just by searching for the exact email...

•••
•••
I'm pretty sure I said show me the email where you got 21 free .xyz domains from your portfolio purchase.

What you provided says a, as in one and not 21.

I don't think you got 21 free renewals when purchasing this portfolio.

•••
0-1 Million registrations steps:

Step 1 = I got 21 given to me myself by the registrar and I never asked for them.

A post like this should be backed up with facts as many .xyz investors would be concerned. But again I've not seen where you were given 21 domains.

•••
I'm pretty sure I said show me the email where you got 21 free .xyz domains from your portfolio purchase.

What you provided says a, as in one and not 21.

I don't think you got 21 free renewals when purchasing this portfolio.
If you go back and actually read my post I said absolutely nothing about any renewals. That was their tactic, give away first year reg's free in the hopes that you will pay for renewing them.

I purchased the portfolio from a seller who had domains in OTHER extensions and they sent me the free .xyz notification emails about 2-3 weeks later.

I said nothing about renewals.

•••

Step 1 = I got 21 given to me myself by the registrar

Now you're wasting my time, 21 .xyz given to you by the register and nothing about 21 different ones. Kind of doubt that. I think you should move on with your smoke and guns flaming .xyz.

No disrespect but your bandwagon approach isn't getting it for me.

I think many should take a look at this but as always JMO: http://www.domaincrunch.com/to-the-...f-the-year-where-do-you-think-they-are-going/

Last edited:
•••
Now you're waiting my time, 21 .xyz given to you by the register and nothing about 21 different ones. Kind of doubt that. I think you should move on with your smoke and guns flaming .xyz.

No disrespect but your bandwagon approach isn't getting it for me.

What do you mean "waiting" you time?

"No disrespect" you say, after calling someone a liar?

No disrespect, that's a good one.

I wasn't joining in any kind of "bandwagon".

Why don't you try doing some research on Google and you will see there is no "Bandwagon"...

•••
No it's "wasting my time", I NEVER called you a liar. :-,

Why don't ya just post your free 21 .xyz domain names that you purchased within the portfolio and prove me wrong? Then post where all 21 where offered to you for free at renewal.

It's probably not even time to renew if you bought a portfolio!

Do that and you'll gain credibility, I'll be happy to admit if I'm wrong or you''re just another .xyz hater posting miss information.

Show some facts if you want to slam an extension, that's what I'm saying.

Last edited:
•••
No it's "wasting my time", I NEVER called you a liar. :-,
Never huh?

"I don't think you got 21 free renewals when purchasing this portfolio." mad409 - circa 2015
(which again, I never said renewal)

"Kind of doubt that." mad409 - circa 2015

That's ok, I don't have the memory I used to as well. ;)

Then post where all 21 where offered to you for free at renewal.

Again, please go back and read my posts, I never said anything about free renewals. They gave away free Registrations.

It's probably not even time to renew if you bought a portfolio!

What does a portfolio purchase have to do with how long domains are registered up to?

"Renewal" came and went, I did not renew any .xyz domains they gave me. I didn't want them to begin with, they just gave them away to me and thousands of other people. Why would I renew a domain @ about $10+ in an extension that doesn't sell well?

As I also stated in a previous post I only bought the portfolio because I wanted some names that were a part of the portfolio that were registered at Namecheap.

Show some facts if you want to slam an extension, that's what I'm saying.

Again, please read what I posted. I never posted anything about a "slam" of an extension.

I posted on how free .xyz domains helped to contribute to them reaching 1 million reg's. It's not slamming if it's a fact. Free .xyz give away's helped contribute to their numbers.

How many .xyz domains do you have anyway? You seem to be taking facts about this domain extension way too hard. Did you spend a lot of money on .xyz's or buy one for a high price or something?

Facts about this extension are facts, it's nothing to take personal.

Will this extension be a good one in the future? Many, many people don't think so but you never know in this world. Crazier things have happened.

It just doesn't look good when they are being dropped like a hot rock!

If you look at which section of this site the this thread is in you will see it's in a discussion section. I was adding to that discussion by posting a factor that helped contribute to their numbers.

•••

Step 1 = Give away most of them free for the first year. I got 21 given to me myself by the registrar and I never asked for them.

Never mind, if you can't back up Step One then why the debate? You posted 21, xyz's were given to you by the the register and I never asked for them, if not your quote above is fraudulent. I never asked for them, your words.

These 21 were acquired by a portfolio you purchased as you also stated.

Personally I think you're trying to degrade .xyz and what you're posting is a bunch of crap.

Move on... :laugh:

Last edited:
•••
If you go back and actually read my post I said absolutely nothing about any renewals. That was their tactic, give away first year reg's free in the hopes that you will pay for renewing them.
Or better yet, hope that the registrar will auto-renew them depending on your settings (default or otherwise)...

Personally I think you're trying to degrade .xyz and what you're posting is a bunch of crap.

Mad409, what's your problem ?
It is a well-known fact that a lot of .xyz were given away as freebies, thus artificially boosting the registration count. Every seasoned domainer knows that. The current registration figures cannot be used as a measure of success, because they include a significant amount of unpaid registrations.
Not an opinion, but a fact.

They boast about their inflated figures but in normal conditions .xyz would have significantly fewer registrations.
They are just showing off. I think they are in fact cheating and being deceptive.

"Look, we are among the most popular new TLDs". Yeah right. This isn't quite the truth.

•••
Never mind, if you can't back up Step One then why the debate? You posted 21, xyz's were given to you by the the register and I never asked for them, if not your quote above is fraudulent. I never asked for them, your words.

These 21 were acquired by a portfolio you purchased as you also stated.

Again, you didn't read what I posted. I did NOT say the 21 were acquired by a portfolio. I said they were given to me a couple weeks AFTER I had bought the portfolio which contained names not just at NetSol.

The portfolio had domains in other extensions, NO .xyz domains. They gave me the .xyz domains that were matches (except for the extension) to the ones I had bought.

For example again, say I had GreatName.com, then they gave me GreatDomain.xyz.

These were never part of the portfolio I bought, they were given afterwards.

I am NOT posting a bunch of crap as you say. I never said anything to degrade the extension, I just stated information about what had helped contribute to their numbers.

I just wonder why you seem to be taking this personally when I wasn't even replying to you, I was replying to the poster of the article. I also didn't say anything bad when I posted the reply, just stated a known fact that the giving away of the domains for free (even without asking) contributed to their numbers.

You tell me to move on when you were the one that called me a liar more than once. I never had to stoop to that level.

•••
Personally I think you're trying to degrade .xyz and what you're posting is a bunch of crap

This is a thread talking about 0 to 1 million, even tho it never actually hit 1 million and now is dropping as expected. Now at 913,000+ https://namestat.org/xyz

So dropping numbers, freebies, deep discounts, plus checking some of the top Alexa xyz sites and I get blank page or some redirect to some page I think might give me malware, then sales? I can't recall any newsworthy sales. Top country is China (deep discounts) not really rockin here in the USA. Can't recall anybody here buying them up talking about sales. Where are you seeing any type of greatness in that?

And, just my personal belief, I think it devalues an extension when they're given away for free or deeply discounted. If I was one of the first people buying these at regular price, I wouldn't be too happy with that. I'm all for reasonable pricing but put it at something like $8 - $20. That's very affordable and if there is real demand, you'll get numbers.

Last edited:
•••
Or better yet, hope that the registrar will auto-renew them depending on your settings (default or otherwise)...

Yes, exactly. NetSol's renewals are $15.99 for the .xyz domains so I am sure some people got them auto-renewed. I went in and made sure auto-renew was off when they had given them to me.

The thing is that if they were names that were worth something I would have renewed or transferred a few and kept them. However since these were matches to domains that someone else registered and weren't really good candidates to develop or resell I didn't even want them.

I didn't buy the portfolio for the names at NS, I was after the Namecheap names.

P.S. Thanks for commenting on what mad was saying. He just doesn't seem to want to accept that thousands of the .xyz domains were given away and that helped contribute to their numbers.

•••
This is a thread talking about 0 to 1 million, even tho it never actually hit 1 million and now is dropping as expected. Now at 913,000+ https://namestat.org/xyz

So dropping numbers, freebies, deep discounts, plus checking some of the top Alexa xyz sites and I get blank page or some redirect to some page I think might give me malware, then sales? I can't recall any newsworthy sales. Can't recall anybody here buying them up talking about sales.
I haven't really heard of too many big sales of them.

I did see somewhere on this site (I can't remember where) someone reported a decent sale for an xyz though. I think it was low $x,xxx but I can't remember for sure the amount. I do remember it was for some kind of prime name like Technology.xyz or something like that.

Unless you have a prime name in the extension they aren't going to fetch top dollar right now. That's why so many are getting dropped.

Who knows what the future holds, crazier things have happened.

•••
It's all about development and has nothing to do with the extension. Do you honestly think .io etc will get better results within Google. LOL

It's not ALL about the development! We will not be in domaining, if we will think extension has nothing to do with the Google search and rankings. Both are important, the development AND domain.

As for comparison, please, help me here to understand. I do not know how better (or not better) .io compare to .xyz. I know that usually we do compare any gtld to .com And they say .com is better when it comes to Google search posititions

•••
I haven't really heard of too many big sales of them.

I did see somewhere on this site (I can't remember where) someone reported a decent sale for an xyz though. I think it was low $x,xxx but I can't remember for sure the amount. I do remember it was for some kind of prime name like Technology.xyz or something like that.

Unless you have a prime name in the extension they aren't going to fetch top dollar right now. That's why so many are getting dropped.

Who knows what the future holds, crazier things have happened.

I'm in Namebio right now, they have 4 sales listed. Only 1 over $1,000 which was the deals.xyz from that NJ auction back of May last year. Which, if I remember correctly, there was something fishy with that. Non binding auction or something

So DNPrices:
http://dnpric.es/?q=.xyz

You can see for yourself. Take that deals auction away, you have 4 at $1,000, then it drops to $630 and below and not that many. And some premium type keywords, pets, madrid, media, etc and just for a few hundred. .mobi had like 11 6 figure sales in it's first years.

That deals auction I was talking about

http://onlinedomain.com/2014/02/14/...00-at-namejet-but-no-one-has-to-pay-bullshit/

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/02/14/deals-xyz-sells-for-8100-on-namejet-com/

Last edited:
•••
I'm in Namebio right now, they have 4 sales listed. Only 1 over $1,000 which was the deals.xyz from that NJ auction back of May last year. Which, if I remember correctly, there was something fishy with that. Non binding auction or something

So DNPrices:
http://dnpric.es/?q=.xyz

You can see for yourself. Take that deals auction away, you have 4 at $1,000, then it drops to $630 and below and not that many. And some premium type keywords, pets, madrid, media, etc and just for a few hundred. .mobi had like 11 6 figure sales in it's first years.
I'm seeing lots of NamesCon on the list.

Media only $400, that's crazy for a prime name like that. It goes to show the right now is not the time to get big $ for .xyz domains.

•••
Again, you didn't read what I posted. I did NOT say the 21 were acquired by a portfolio. I said they were given to me a couple weeks AFTER I had bought the portfolio which contained names not just at NetSol.

The portfolio had domains in other extensions, NO .xyz domains. They gave me the .xyz domains that were matches (except for the extension) to the ones I had bought.

For example again, say I had GreatName.com, then they gave me GreatDomain.xyz.

These were never part of the portfolio I bought, they were given afterwards.

I am NOT posting a bunch of crap as you say. I never said anything to degrade the extension, I just stated information about what had helped contribute to their numbers.

I just wonder why you seem to be taking this personally when I wasn't even replying to you, I was replying to the poster of the article. I also didn't say anything bad when I posted the reply, just stated a known fact that the giving away of the domains for free (even without asking) contributed to their numbers.

You tell me to move on when you were the one that called me a liar more than once. I never had to stoop to that level.

Just to be clear I have never called anyone a liar here but I was confused with your step-1 and step-2 post. Along with some of the replies too.

When reading this post I now understand they gave you 21 matching .xyz domains which was not clear to me before.

I apologize if I was rude, makes sense now.

Last edited:
•••
Just to be clear I have never called anyone a liar here but I was confused with your step-1 and step-2 post. Along with some of the replies too.

When reading this post I now understand they gave you 21 matching .xyz domains which was not clear to me before.

I apologize if I was rude, makes sense now.
That's how it came off, as I was being called a liar. I do know that sometimes these messages through these forums can be difficult to completely understand so there can be confusion. I have been on tons of forums in different fields/niches' and I have seen misunderstandings a lot so I do understand he we kind of got our signals mixed.

That is right that they gave me 21 exact match domains for the ones I already had in the account, but with the .xyz extension. The 21 that were there were a mix of .net and .com domains. I would have tried to sell them as a package deal (the .net or .com with the matching .xyz) but the domains were not really even worth the reg fee. I wasn't wanting those, just a couple that were at Namecheap. The seller wouldn't break up the package so I had to buy them all. I forget of the top of my head what I paid but it was fairly cheap given the # of domains.

I accept your apology and I too apologize for the confusion that we both went through and for taking what you said as an insult. That's just how it came off.

Now that we better understand each other I think we won't have this mix-up in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read through it, I am glad that we understand each other now.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

•••
personally i believe that .xyz will try hard to boost new registration count over the next months to counter the huge drops that are occurring so that the extension continues to be perceived as successful. Even .club and other started giving away 1 dollar domains recently.

Growth rate at the start of year 3 might turn out to be very interesting and will indicate the real long-term potential of the extension.

•••
I feel .XYZ is going the right way. The tld is as generic and country independent as .com. and with so many registrations happening, domainers will themselves market the domains to get good value.

Look at it like this,

--> If .xyz comes at a cheap amount or at $1, domainers would buy crazily, which is evident from 1 million registrations.
--> now the domainers themselves would try to sell all they can. Even selling them at $5 would be profitable. --
--> New domainers would think $5 is a steal for keyword domains.
--> So ideally domainers themselves would market the domains to other domainers. and eventually end-users.

Now what do you think is better,
Spending millions of $'s for marketing a new GTLD in an already saturated market
or

Creating the community of people to market you who already form a major part of the market.

.Science and .top are doing the same thing, but .science is not a very good tld and .top has negative sentiment because of their spammy marketing.

I believe that number is going to drop drastically over the next couple of months, unless someone cuts renewal fees, or an extra year is given away.

Figuratively, even if 90% donot renew they'll earn more from the first year and will already have a good market.
1 million domains * $1 = $1 million revenue. - yr1
100,000 domains * $13 = $1.3 million revenue - yr2

•••
let's wait for a few more weeks but if they drop 10k/day , 1 year and 3 days after their launch that is not a healthy sign. That is the worst renewal rate of all gTLDS i would guess.

Has the Netsol drop already started?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back