Dynadot

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dna said:
LLLL.COM has to be the dumbest idea being promoted by domainers.
There is no future for these domain names.
These names are worth less than nothing.
you are totally worng
you have read the thread in the link, check also sales at snapnames, sedo and namejet

prices of LLLL.com

•••
xman said:
FYI: 6Yu8.com and 9IXZ.com aren't LLLL.com but CCCC.com

Take your 2 cents back

That line was in context to an end user using it and not in LLLL.com.

If you have too much invested in LLLL.com and do not like my comment then better go and drink some wine.It is just an opinion thread.if you dont like opinions do not comment.And yeah do let me know if you ever manage to sell any LLLL.com above 1K. And I will give you atleast three non generics sold for atleast double the price.

Last edited:
•••
evilopinions said:
That line was in context to an end user using it and not in LLLL.com.

If you have too much invested in LLLL.com and do not like my comment then better go and drink some wine.It is just an opinion thread.I am not the final word.
Is not that I have invested a lot in LLLL.com. I'm just trying to give you a better idea what is LLLL.com and what is CCCC.com (6Yu8.com is NLLN and 9IXZ.com is LNNN.com to be more precise.). It was pretty much a clarification because LLLL.com and CCCC.com are totally different creatures that's all.

evilopinions said:
And yeah do let me know if you ever manage to sell any LLLL.com above 1K. And I will give you atleast three non generics sold for atleast double the price.
So If I sold one LLLL.com for $1,000+ you'll give me 3 non generic sold for at least double the price. Meaning if I end up selling $1,500 of one of my LLLL.com you will give me 3 non generic worth $3,000.

You got yourself a deal.

Now list your 3 non generic that would worth that much.

Last edited:
•••
So If I sold one LLLL.com for $1,000+ you'll give me 3 non generic sold for at least double the price. Meaning if I end up selling $1,500 of one of my LLLL.com you will give me 3 non generic worth $3,000.

You got yourself a deal.

Now list your 3 non generic that would worth that much.

You wish.I meant show u three non generics sold double the price. :hehe:

As if I would give u ?

•••
thetruman said:
I didn t say is a good or bad investments. Just giving sales figures that are evidently in contrast with the previous statement LL-L and L-LL have no intrinsic value irrespective of what letters they contain.

They are worthless now.

They will still be worthless in 20 years time.

Just isnt true. Do you agree?

Have it your way. Invest aggressively and be the King of Contra-Intuitive. Personally, I would sooner go an alternative extension and I haven't gone for those either. Following your dream. Just don't hang around my street corner with your begging bowl.

•••
Rubber Duck said:
Have it your way. Invest aggressively and be the King of Contra-Intuitive. Personally, I would sooner go an alternative extension and I haven't gone for those either. Following your dream. Just don't hang around my street corner with your begging bowl.

On the same token we never know what the next big money maker is. I for one believe that those names are going to be worth something but I could be wrong or vice versa

•••
The biggest loser in 2008 will be the U.S. economy.

How does that relate to domaining? Before every "go" is pressed when registering a domain, each person will think twice about doing it as they contemplate their purchase.

When every advertiser thinks about spending cash online, they too will think twice about spending the money. It may be wise to think about how the coming new economic cycle will affect this business.

•••
goodkarmaco said:
The biggest loser in 2008 will be the U.S. economy.

How does that relate to domaining? Before every "go" is pressed when registering a domain, each person will think twice about doing it as they contemplate their purchase.

When every advertiser thinks about spending cash online, they too will think twice about spending the money. It may be wise to think about how the coming new economic cycle will affect this business.

Unfortunately, this may be the most accurate post in this thread!

dna said:
LLLL.COM has to be the dumbest idea being promoted by domainers. There is no future for these domain names. These names are worth less than nothing.

And this the most inaccurate post I have ever seen! :-/

LLLL.com haters wake up and smell the coffee.. How can you claim something is worthless when minimum reseller price for the worst LLLL combinations are already 3-4x registration price?? LOL... Oh yes my flop predictions: .asia, .biz, .mobi

Last edited:
•••
nicedomains said:
Unfortunately, this may be the most accurate post in this thread!

And this the most inaccurate post I have ever seen! :-/

LLLL.com haters wake up and smell the coffee.. How can you claim something is worthless when minimum reseller price for the worst LLLL combinations are already 3-4x registration price?? LOL... Oh yes my flop predictions: .asia, .biz, .mobi

hello :wave:

I really like LLLL.com but can't say I'm all that sure about what will happen in 2008 - probably safe to say that "prices will fluctuate" and leave it at that. Long term, they seem like a reasonable bet (though still not a sure thing) ... Right now minimum reseller price for the "buyout babies" (say the last 4000 regged leading up to the Nov 2 sellout) is bouncing around 2 times reg fee, down a bit from 2 to 3 times reg fee in the beginning of the month (if anyone wants to buy a few off me at 3 or 4 times reg fee I'll be happy to "arbitrage" some added value into the mix for you -> remember folks, the more you pay for something, the more it's worth!)

Probably just the first of several 2nd chance "buying opportunities" / (or desperate last chance panic selling opportunities, for those so inclined) ... where it will finally end up, who knows - you pays your money and you takes your chances! If it works out the way I suspect it will in the long run, there's going to be quite a few happy newbies and old pros too ... and if it doesn't - well, what the hell were we thinking anyway! XYZQ.com LOL ... (That's almost as funny as XQZ.com might have seemed a few years ago!)

Probably about 100 NPers with $50 to $500 each on the line, another 50 of us with $500 to $5000 to lose, and then maybe 20 serious players with $5000 to $50,000 in LLLL.com ... I don't think anyone's mortgaged their house (yet) to get in on this one (though I remember hearing someone mention that they wish they had!)

So ... my prediction, adding it all up as best I can: an uncertain future + an excitable crowd with a lot of newbies in the mix + a lot of hype in both directions (right now mostly positive, but that could turn on a dime) = volatile prices ...

Maybe only 1000 LLLL.com will find end-users in 2008 ... even 10,000 would still be a drop in the bucket relative to the who knows how many hundreds of thousands still held by domainers. It may be 5 or 15 years until there is a real "scarcity premium" for all remaining LLLL.com sufficient to command $xxxx for XYQZ ... In the meantime, many impatient, impulsive domainers who suddenly realize that paying renewal fees from 2008 until who knows when was never exactly part of their game plan are likely to sell cheap or (less likely, but possible) let some drop. And at the same time, a few patient, calculated-risk taking long-term players are going to enjoy those buying opportunities, and quite possibly end up with enough valuable LLLL.com domains to retire on (if they live long enough to see that distant day, LOL!)

Bottom line for 2008: some flippers might flop ... but a lot of "floppers" just might flip their wigs while they sit on the sidelines watching LLLL.com prices see-saw up to mid $xx minimum and beyond by the end of the year.

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I like LLLL.coms, even though I have just around 10 of them and am not in the mood to buy them right now...the good ones are overpriced anyway.

Even then, I see no point in xjyq.com. Don't tell me that there are end users in China - there are end users for every name you can imagine sitting out there. You don't invest your life savings on that hunch.

LLLL.coms like absm.com are good, xjyt.com is worth just a bit above reg fee. Yes, you might gain a profit from selling xjyt.com, but personally, I don't see the point in promoting a domain for 2 hours to make a profit of $5. I'd much rather get an LLL.com and make a profit of 5k.

•••
sashas said:
Personally, I like LLLL.coms, even though I have just around 10 of them and am not in the mood to buy them right now...the good ones are overpriced anyway.

Even then, I see no point in xjyq.com. Don't tell me that there are end users in China - there are end users for every name you can imagine sitting out there. You don't invest your life savings on that hunch.

LLLL.coms like absm.com are good, xjyt.com is worth just a bit above reg fee. Yes, you might gain a profit from selling xjyt.com, but personally, I don't see the point in promoting a domain for 2 hours to make a profit of $5. I'd much rather get an LLL.com and make a profit of 5k.

xjvg.com no value, how the vcvc & cvcv.net or 3 same letters LLLL.nets
I also see xjvg.com no value. Is it better invest at 3 same letters LLLL.nets?
Example aaao.net
Thanks

:)

•••
sashas said:
[...] I see no point in xjyq.com. Don't tell me that there are end users in China [...]
hi sashas ... you don't have to see the point in xjyq.com - about 1.3 billion other people might -> There are end users in China ... (both xjyq.com and xjyq.cn seem to be inscrutably parked at the moment, but let's keep on eye on them in 2008 just to see what happens with this one little sample of the mythical Chinese end-user)

sashas said:
Which is why I'm not spending 2 hours trying to flip xvqt for reg-fee+5, but rather waiting 5 years to sell for $500 ... or whatever. (I actually like XVQT a lot, might never sell that one for any sane price.) Not expecting an exceptional return (if any) for that amount of time, but probably will be decent enough, especially for such a "no-brainer" play. I'm not exactly risking my life savings to pay renewal fees on a few (hundred) of these - it's risk capital, and (really) cheap tuition if I end up kissing some or all of it goodbye. I might be a bit more wary about sinking $5K or whatever into XVQ.com etc - though riding the LLL.com wave as far as it goes seems like a decent bet too, if you've got the capital and you think you know the market well enough - I know that right now, I sure don't - so am glad to have found a relatively low-value, low-risk sandbox to play in ... easier to quantify and diversify with a portfolio of 100 LLLL vs putting all my clueless eggs into 1 LLL shoot-for-the-moon basket.

Sooner or later, some flips will flop. Hopefully later rather than sooner - but prices don't always go up - even for LLL.com, as much as they've done so far and probably will continue to do for quite some time. And when prices go down, they tend to move a lot faster than they did on their way up. So people buying the "hot stuff" to flip for "sure thing big profits" sometimes end up getting burned if they're just looking at the potential upside and not the real value of their goods.

Once in a while (or more, depending) some long-term "buy-and-holders" find out they've been holding onto a promise that didn't pan out. Right now, I think it's way too soon to tell either way what's going to happen with LLLL.com. Some people see it one way, others don't - but it's all opinions and speculation until someone brings some real data and analysis to the table. And even then, it's just a bit more informed (hopefully profitable) speculation. :)

skylineleong said:
xjvg.com no value, how the vcvc & cvcv.net or 3 same letters LLLL.nets
I also see xjvg.com no value. Is it better invest at 3 same letters LLLL.nets?
Example aaao.net
Thanks
LOL - I'd buy XJVG right now for $15, maybe a bit more.

And I've got a few "nice" VCVC.net I'll sell right now for $12 ... though I might be kicking myself for letting them go later. You may be right about this one skylineleong - time will tell ....

Last edited:
•••
Filter, this is something of a personal perspective. Personally, I don't have the patience to wait 5 years on a name to get a good return. I get itchy the moment I land a name and need to sell it. Thats why I stick to names with high and immediate resale value.

Some other domainers on the other hand sit on a name for as long as its possible to get the right price. Cash flow is not a concern for them. But it is to some of us (like me) and we need to keep buying and selling in order to build a steady flow of cash.

•••
if you have a large portfolio you have to sell some in order to keep the flow going... true unless you can afford to renew the names without being a pain for your pocket; in this case filter s approach makes sense too.
Different strategies also according to different economic possibilities...

•••
sashas said:
Filter, this is something of a personal perspective. Personally, I don't have the patience to wait 5 years on a name to get a good return. I get itchy the moment I land a name and need to sell it. Thats why I stick to names with high and immediate resale value.
and I think you've done pretty well with that strategy - if I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing the same. :)

thetruman said:
you have to sell some in order to keep the flow going... true unless you can afford to renew the names without being a pain for your pocket; in this case filter s approach makes sense too.
hi thetruman - I try to sell a few from time to time, but find I usually prefer to buy at these prices! Might be a different story if/when prices go up a bit ...

Last edited:
•••
evilopinions said:
You wish.I meant show u three non generics sold double the price. :hehe:

As if I would give u ?

I don't wish....I calculate rather. Yeah I didn't think you have such domains on the first place. And in the future before you made a deal make sure you don't back out.

Before you put your opinion on the board please understand first what is LLLL.com and CCCC.com. I would suggest you do a lot of reading in this forums and learn something. And yeah people like you don't discourage me for investing in LLLL.com.

•••
me neither, spent 320$ last couple of days on them :)

•••
I have to go with sashas. These names although right now are causing a big stir are simply not the gems that LLL.com are. I could be wrong but unless you have super premium or you own several hundred I dont think a large profit is in your future.

•••
jacal1 said:
:)What will be the biggest flop in '08?

First thought was my Boyfriend :guilty: second thought .asia .name

•••
mellowmasher said:
First thought was my Boyfriend :guilty: second thought .asia .name

Lol. I like the humor and great pick for a flop. .name was doomed from the day it was released.

•••
xman said:
I don't wish....I calculate rather. Yeah I didn't think you have such domains on the first place. And in the future before you made a deal make sure you don't back out.

Before you put your opinion on the board please understand first what is LLLL.com and CCCC.com. I would suggest you do a lot of reading in this forums and learn something. And yeah people like you don't discourage me for investing in LLLL.com.

Well saying four letters are worthless is clearly arbitrary. I would love Loan.com for example. But trying to equate qywz.com with Loan.com also makes complete nonsense. 4 letter dot coms may be worth a lot if they mean something to somebody. They won't be worth anything simply because they have four letters. It has taken more than a decade for some of them to zoom from zero to reg fee. Can you really see these making it to reg fee times two come renewal?

•••
Rubber Duck said:
Well saying four letters are worthless is clearly arbitrary. I would love Loan.com for example. But trying to equate qywz.com with Loan.com also makes complete nonsense. 4 letter dot coms may be worth a lot if they mean something to somebody. They won't be worth anything simply because they have four letters. It has taken more than a decade for some of them to zoom from zero to reg fee. Can you really see these making it to reg fee times two come renewal?
I am not saying that all LLLL.com worth a lot but quality ones do and those with acronyms.

But trying to equate qywz.com with loan.com doesn't make any sense as if you were saying Dual core Pentium can perform the same as Pentium Celeron CPU.

Besides how could you possibly compare a four letter dictionary word with qywz.com?

•••
3 letter .mobi goes for $200+. Four letter .com can't be worth as much as a 3 letter .mobi?

How about being worth that same $60 as an LLL.biz? These things are so underpriced (unless you want to consider those extremely overpriced), even now, it's not even funny.

LLL.info versus LLLL.com?

ad infinitum.

xman said:
I am not saying that all LLLL.com worth a lot but quality ones do and those with acronyms.

But trying to equate qywz.com with loan.com doesn't make any sense as if you were saying Dual core Pentium can perform the same as Pentium Celeron CPU.

Besides how could you possibly compare a four letter dictionary word with qywz.com?

•••
My flop predictions:
.mobi
.asia
. any exotic and high reg. fee extension, outside the best keywords

My "will stay the same or increase a little" predictions:
.in
.us (i may be a dreamer with this one - but one can always hope)
.tv
.cc
.info

The winners:
LLLL.com - hands down the next best thing after LLL.com for collectors/investors
LLL.in

As always, 'tis :imho:

IB

•••
xman said:

I was simply trying to demonstrate that not all four letter dot coms are made equal. Those that have a clear intrinsic value will be worth money, those that don't will take another 10 years of renewals to reach 2-3 times reg fee!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back