IT.COM

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.asia

PS: what made your thread official?

•••
•••
Ain't no biz for .biz!

Has to be .biz!! Has anyone ever sold one? Ha! :hi: Give them the NOBIZ Award! That is my Official opinion!

Frank :yell:

•••
LLLLL.com's that will not be renewed because people will realize that there are too many millions at reg fee for these to explode in value.

•••
dot tv by a long mile.....

i have done well this year with my 3char coms and co.uk.

•••
i agree- .tv.

it would be great if everyone just let their names drop, or maybe sell them for a buck or two- i might be able to find someone to take this extension off your hands real cheap. if you have .tv's, might be best to get out now while you can still make a buck- by all means, pm me and i would be happy to make the sacrifice, and take them off your hands.

thanks!

•••
.mobi will continue to be a disappointment to all the investors. There will be a huge lack of development, and new technology cell phones and pdas will make the need for a mobile site, just about obsolete.

•••
Spade said:
.mobi will continue to be a disappointment to all the investors. There will be a huge lack of development, and new technology cell phones and pdas will make the need for a mobile site, just about obsolete.

You just said what was on my mind about .mobi. .Mobi is full of more hype than it truly deserves, and even though they have potential, they have more obstacles in their way.In the first place, having a 4 lettered TLD for people to type on a mobile platform is almost begging for typos and frustrating searches.
I agree .biz will continue to dissapoint.

.us.com, .firm.in, and those types of TLDs are headed down.

•••
kemjika11 said:
In the first place, having a 4 lettered TLD for people to type on a mobile platform is almost begging for typos and frustrating searches. .

i hear this one all the time :hehe:
you know the registry made sure www. doesn't need to be typed for mobi.
saving keystrokes, time etc. ... so thats 4 keystrokes it just saved :sold:
there are arguments for and against, this really isn't one :imho:

as far as whats gonna sink, i dont think any one thing will.
.biz was never floating to sink lol
bad regges in all extensions will continue not to sell

also i think prices for bad combination LLL.com have to come to a halt or will even drop a bit
premium combinations will continue to fly, but combinations where there is no enduser in sight like QXZ or something, i think may struggle a little .
depends what domainers do as they are the only ones buying the bad combos.

definitely good to have a springclean in the new year though :sold:

•••
:imho: LLLL.com and LLLL.net if and when they sell out.

•••
domainer50 said:
Not sure I agree...or maybe you read the thread wrong? :)

I'm going to add non-generic, so-called brandable gambling domains to my list...they've traditionally done well, but not recently.

•••
.asia may a big flop. Initially, there may be some sales of excellent quality names (hyping up the extension for a little while).

•••
domainer50 said:

Will Flop?

•••
Spade said:
Will Flop?

Maybe i misread. I just think this names will not increase in value that much.

•••
I would imagine in the event of complete sell outs, these class of domains will continue to rise, with more investors clamoring to get their hands on them, and more end-users realizing the value of short easy to pronounce and recall domain names.

•••
.asia almost certainly.

.biz, well as Pred said above it has never really got of te sea bed yet (definately needs new blood running it)

.xxx will not happen, a flop because no one wants to be the one to say 'yes' to it.

.mobi, the jury is out on this one. mobile devices for access to the net a big hit but for the .mobi extension, well we will have to wait and see.

And don't forget just because a suffix was a flop in the past does not mean in future it will not rise, look at .info!

•••
What I like about this thread is that no body mentioned .PRO yet.

I don't think .ASIA will be a that big of a flop if you own good one word (short) domains.

•••
Spade said:
I would imagine in the event of complete sell outs, these class of domains will continue to rise, with more investors clamoring to get their hands on them, and more end-users realizing the value of short easy to pronounce and recall domain names.
Totally agreed in the case of LLLL.com only , not .net :)

•••
InvisionTech said:
What I like about this thread is that no body mentioned .PRO yet.

Doesn't it need some type of rise in order to flop? :hehe:

my vote is .mobi - it just doesn't make sense to have an extension for mobile phones when one extra line of code will load the mobile version of your web site and future phones will increasingly be able to view full web pages, decreasing the need for a mobile version.

•••
spanish IDNs with accents - except for fórex.com :yell:

•••
larryharlow said:
spanish IDNs with accents - excepto for fórex.com :yell:

I dont see anyway IDN's are going to flop.... Expect them to continue to gain, especially with more and more world internet users.

•••
eg.domains said:
Totally agreed in the case of LLLL.com only , not .net :)

Right. But at the same time the idea of .com names rising in value the same way LLL.com names have, :imho: is not a possibility.

•••
There are many such predictions out there on the Web, such as:

1. Top prices will drop;

2. Top portfolio owners to diversify away from domains, investing in other technologies;

3. IDN to gain more momentum. There’s a huge need for people to communicate in their own language;

4. 3 letter .com to hit 10k minimum value by the end of 2008;

5, 6, 7........

•••
BestBusinessDomains said:
There are many such predictions out there on the Web, such as:

2. Top portfolio owners to diversify away from domains, investing in other technologies;
Kinda funny .. who said that ? and which technologies ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back