Dynadot

discuss Your biggest regret in your domaining career?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
We all have regrets.
As a domainer, here is one of my biggest regret :

While deals come and go and I recently blew a $900 deal, which is not a big one, but considering that it was a hand reg and the ROI was close to 45000% it was definitely a regret.

But the biggest one was letting CommercialGain.com expire. While some may not see it as a great name, I saw this name going in 5-figure or more over a period of time. I was careless enough to postpone its renewal and later it expired.

What's your biggest regret in domaining?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My biggest regret: That I didn't start earlier with this (including developing websites).

I thought about it as a student when I had the time, but was too lazy and too greedy to try it on a very, very small scale.

•••
An expensive, collective regret!

Late 1990s / Early 2000s :

Rejecting a number of valid and substantive four figure purchase offers - $$$$. - while holding out for never to arrive greed - based five figure purchase offers - $$,$$$ - for a dozen plus EMD names.

•••
I was connecting PC to PC with Commador 64's in the early 80's. I was online from the moment it because available, but as a teen (since my father and grandfather were in the programing and computer world) my way of rebelling was to leave tech behind. I really regret not learning enough to realize the future of domains. I missed picking up names, making websites, everything from the very beginning. By the time I got back into tech, I had missed all the really big opportunities.
Could be driving a Lamborghini now instead of a Ford.

•••
I think everyone can agree that not starting sooner is the big one

•••
Reinvesting into more domain names rather than investing more in developing a chosen few.

•••
My biggest regret: That I didn't start earlier with this (including developing websites).

I thought about it as a student when I had the time, but was too lazy and too greedy to try it on a very, very small scale.
What do you mean by "very, very small scale" ?

Reinvesting into more domain names rather than investing more in developing a chosen few.

The way I read it your comment can be intercepted both ways.

•••
The way I read it your comment can be intercepted both ways.[/QUOTE said:
I regret... Reinvesting into more domain names rather than investing more in developing a chosen few.

•••
What do you mean by "very, very small scale" ?

Use for example 100 € - 150 € to develop a website for maybe 1-2 domains and maybe buy/register 1-2 other. Thus getting a first glimpse on the topic a few years earlier.

•••
I had got into domaining in college days 2011 earned great amount from 2 domains i sold and then i just forgot and got involved in other things only to get back in 2016,i only realized how huge opportunities i lost as i had the knowledge. it will always be my regret to not pay attention earlier even as a part time.

•••
Great thread. All valid comments. I should have started sooner!

•••
I missed an auction that nearly at the end, it's about 5 minutes - 2 minutes remain to close the auction. But I don't follow then another guys win that auction.

•••
Selling off a bunch of weed related domains on eBay a few years ago that I handreg'd as a noobie. (years before marijuana legalization) They weren't the best but they were OK for handregs... stuff like BudBrownie.com.

•••
Buying tons of "info" domain when at a cheap price..renewal ttim wasnt cheap.

Lesson learned..no more binge buying and stick to my budget.

•••
An expensive, collective regret!

Late 1990s / Early 2000s :

Rejecting a number of valid and substantive four figure purchase offers - $$$$. - while holding out for never to arrive greed - based five figure purchase offers - $$,$$$ - for a dozen plus EMD names.
yeah that's really hard now that EMD doesn't influence SEO anymore...

•••
•••
•••
Investing heavily into the Chinese market when it was peak.

•••
•••
Reading this thread....it's makin me sad. :-P

•••
I once let almost 200 domains drop because I did not want to pay so many renewal fees. Most of them ended up at hugedomains. Only a small fraction actually dropped and even those are gone now.

That was a :facepalm: moment

•••
Learning the hardway that; just as there will always be another girl. There will always be another domain name.

Dont spend 5usd on domain A to make 500usd, when 2usd on domain B will make 300usd

Whenever, you have to choose between domains when restocking concentrate on staying liquid. Don't spend it all to acquire a single name. Then five minutes later, 2 more names appear that offer the same profit margin show up for 1/3 of the price you paid for the first domain.

As always you need to become an information and statistics nerd to out fox the big boys in this business.

•••
i have dropped 24 chips 4l.com in 2012

•••
•••
I let Rediscuss.com expire and now it's on HugeDomains.
Overall, my wins way outweigh my losses though and you must always look forward.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back