Dynadot

reviews Your biggest FLOPS - Let's talk the other side too.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vickyhunter

Domain SpiderEstablished Member
Impact
There are two sides of a coin. It's amazing to discuss the FLIPS, but there will also be a few FLOPS in our lifetime. This thread is not to discourage - far from it - but to be aware of what kind of domains did not do well over the period of time - and what not to do when selling them - and so on. There is a lesson to be learnt from everything, even from the flops.

So, go ahead. Share your biggest FLOP over the time and add a small comment why that happened and share your advice with the fellow domainers.

Cheers !
- Vicky

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ahhh!! nice topic..let me make a list of my flops (long list)...i will come back...

•••
Ok, Its fair that I share my FLOP first.

$2250 --> $1500

I got this keyword rich dot com from a fellow domainer friend for $2250 and held it for over a year. Had few offers in the $3-5K range but did not sell. Then I decided to go for an auction with no reserve and it closed with $1500 in my pocket. I had an offer for $3k during the auction, but rejected it thinking it will surpass that.

Lessons learnt -
1) NEVER sell your LIQUID domains with No Reserve Auction
2) Do not ignore the advice of your fellows and brokers (@this_username_was_banned - Lol )
3) Do NOT be too Greedy. Don't change the numbers in your head every often.

Cheers!
Vicky

•••
Come on guys. We all learn from our mistakes. Share your Flops and your advice. :)

•••
pcpoker.com bought for $430 at Namejet and sold for $210 on Flippa.

•••
Are there no one with FLOPS? Or, its it that people do not want to discuss about them. It's no shame, it is part of the game. We win some, we lose some. What matters is that we keep learning and we keep moving ahead.

Share your stories and provide helpful insights to others.

Cheers!
Vicky

•••
I tried to start a similar conversation a few weeks ago with no luck. I guess domainers just don't like to share their failures! I would LOVE to hear some failure stories from some of the more experienced members here. I feel like myself and others would learn more from those stories than from reported sales.

•••
Back in 2010, I hand reg'd a .CM domain for $105. At that very moment, I was convinced that I got a gem, that it's going to get a lot of type-in traffic and that it would sell for thousands of dollars. I realized it was a pigeon shit when I woke the next day. I let it drop.

•••
owned Slots.im for a while when they first came out - yeah you'd think it was a good keyword
bahahahahahaha - not!!

that and every other domain I haven't sold yet and carry in my inventory ;)

•••
I have not had a big loss but I have lost a lot of money backordering worthless LLLL coms on NJ, DC and SN. They cost me $69 each (minimum) but went for 20-30 only last year!

•••
There will be more Flop stories than success. But people don't like to disclose their failures much :-/
If we watch flippa auctions closely , many of the 'Big sales' can be found struggling to make a better deal.

•••
bought a domains for $40 bcos of the fake traffic the seller presented to me here @ namepros. To bad not even a visitor. Lost my hard earn cash

•••
I will share couple of mine. I have many of them but lets say they dint happen.
I was into parking before, when i started, and was very fascinated with revenue people used to make. Then i started regging domains without any research and study.. and end up buying TM's (Samsung Flipkart etc etc) which i release later and deleted all those handregs. then i started backordering domains at NJ and SN which had some backlinks( i had no idea that parking needs quality backlinks). Domains that i could reg even after 2-3 days they were deleted. . but i wasted 69$ for each domain. Those domain never got traffic nor they ever sold for 1$ here on NP. So i had huge bump there and wasted a lot money for parking domains.

Then i read a lot about selling domains and again i did the same mistake of not researching and just going by my gut feeling and buying or backordering domains. again waste of money. I had brought almost 5-8 BO domains for 69$ each which never sold, this BO includes some LLLL which i sold for 30-35 $
so overall i am still at loss by say 600-700$ (not much for some people here, but for me that is a huge amount) and i am still a newbie.

•••
Since I would classify myself a "serious dabbler" domainer/websiter and not hardcore, I've not had a doomsday scenario with domains or websites. My worst was picking up a domain for a somewhat popular bodybuilding forum for about 300 bucks off GoDaddy auctions, and my sole intention was directing that decent amount of traffic to another fitness/bodybuilding forum which I was planning to build from scratch. Only days later my boss told me to move back to my company's home office and so I didn't have time to work on the new forum.

I've still got the domain, but the traffic obviously died down so much from being redirected to a placeholder page that it isn't worth anywhere near my initial investment.

•••
beginning with no experience and buy 100 bad domains and drop them the next year.:xf.frown:
The feeling of becoming a millionaire was the only good thing about thad:xf.smile:

•••
In starting days of my domaining ,i lost few buyers due to my greedy BIN & Offer prices, it's not a lose(i sold for higher than i bought) but still it's my flop. now i realized those incoming offers are the maximum for those domains.

I learned a lesson from my flop.

•••
To me, Time is always a problem ... What should I do, sell or wait ? Did I ask too much for this domain ? Or should I have asked more ? ... And what about my approach .. Is it professional enough ? Why do I think these domains are worth 4 or 5 figures amounts ? Am I right ? Blablabla ....

I think that we all are experimenting flops in a way or another but it's part of the game ! It is what makes this business so exciting ...

•••
I have lots of flops, but I don't usually spent big money so the losses are small. Of course the potential gains are smaller with less risk, but my "sweet" spot is in the middle to middle-low market.

•••
my first big Acquisition was a domain i bought for mid 5 figures. i thought i would lose money on it and instead i made a 4 figure profit. You have to take risks sometimes to get a nice reward. flops will happen from time to time if you re a big risk taker but reward will be even bigger.

•••
my first big Acquisition was a domain i bought for mid 5 figures. i thought i would lose money on it and instead i made a 4 figure profit. You have to take risks sometimes to get a nice reward. flops will happen from time to time if you re a big risk taker but reward will be even bigger.

So, basically, it's not a flop.

•••
So, basically, it's not a flop.

lol no. my point is flops will happen . you can't become rich without taking risks unless you win the lottery which you paid $5 for the winning ticket lol.

•••
My biggest flop was buying B.bike domain at $650 with $250 annual renewal.
Bought it thinking it's a single letter name and would fetch around $1500 at least. Big mistake.
Realized it was a loser, I let it go @ $115 few days before expiry. Was happy, I could recoup at least $115.
Ah, the new gTLDs !! :)

•••
Hmmm... We hope to hear from more people here. As I said we learn from our mistakes :)

•••
bought a domains for $40 bcos of the fake traffic the seller presented to me here @ namepros. To bad not even a visitor. Lost my hard earn cash

I hope you reported to the mods about this? We don't need people like that here!

•••
Never had huge losses, more having to let domains drop which havent sold due to financial constraints at the time of renewal......I've let a domain drop before and then seen it sell for high xxx months later, also let my own name drop and lost it to another guy when I went back to reg it a few months later....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back