IT.COM

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Definitely LLLLcom, it will be a blood bath. Don't think it will happen right away in 2008 but rather well into 2008. Prices need to rise first a bit further so stupid money buys in.

•••
the biggest flop IMO will be LLL.mobi if not in 08 then it will be the biggest flop in 09. because it will become obsolete extension.
1. There are almost no developed mobi sites. At least I haven't seen anyone! :)
2. Mobile devices are becoming better and better and you can view normal sites with them instead of feature-lacking mobile versions.
3. Even bid companies don't care about mobile versions. What then about small companies. The never needed LLL.infos!
4. If you want to make mobile version of site - do it at .com with autodetection of mobile browser and offering to choose between normal version and mobile.
4. LLL.infos are even now so hugely overpriced that I'm really mad :) But I will never buy even a single .mobi unless generic commercial one word.
5. .tel will be cheaper alternative to .mobi (if anyone ever needed .mobi that I'm very doubt of) and those companies who wanted .mobi will regfee .tel because telephones are the only devices that need mobile versions of sites.

•••
htmlindex said:
.asia
.name
.aero
.coop
.tel

Or better still, if you have any decent .tv names, I'll take them off your hands for $2, before they all become worthless.

Yep, I'm buying .tv names for $2, better sell them quick.

aw man, i was gonna buy them :( nice article in forbes today on .tv. yep, its goin down the tubes! sell! sell!

•••
accentnepal said:
Premium generic traffic domains will be the biggest flops.

(Well, everyone was slamming everyone else's collection, and that one was missed, except for the parking aspect.)

::::sigh::::

Lol well said,I will slam some myself : two words (and over) composite domain name as search engines will be used more an more, then some minor countries with less then 50 millions inhab ext such as .pl, .ro etc

•••
I just dont see an end user using a domain like wpsr.com or 6Yu8.com or 9IXZ.com.
Did you take a look at wpsr.com actually? It is developed by WPS REsources Corporation (now Integrys Energy Group).

As regards the flops, I think .mobi will be one to decrease in value though it will not totally flop in 08.

.biz was never in demand and won't be.

Regarding .com, I think L-ll.com 's and LL-L.com's will not keep value due to the limited demand.

Exotic cctld's will continue to not perform well, limited numbers of sales will occur with these. On the other hand strong cctld's will continue to grow in value.

•••
accentnepal said:
Premium generic traffic domains will be the biggest flops.

(Well, everyone was slamming everyone else's collection, and that one was missed, except for the parking aspect.)

To out-perform any market you have to take risks, to try things that others believe will fail. Sometimes the others are right, sometimes you are right and the others will then say that they knew it all along.

::::sigh::::

Can you or someone explain? I don't understand what accentnepal said. I thought premium generic with typein traffic is the jewel of the crown.

•••
of course they are, he was just kidding :hehe: (and me too).
The fact is that this thread just tries to point out some negative connotations and sometime hurting portfolios with "thrown there" sentences

•••
The Namepros aftermarket... there seems to be quite a few new registered memebers who are very uneducated that ruin sale threads, and the trend seems that it will only become a bigger issue in 08.

Anyways,

.tv, .mobi, asia, .name all will fail coming this new year.

•••
jacal1 said:
What will be the biggest flop in '08?

.MOBI hands down! :rolleyes: :red: :imho:

Spade said:
.mobi will continue to be a disappointment to all the investors. There will be a huge lack of development, and new technology cell phones and pdas will make the need for a mobile site, just about obsolete.

Hammer. Head. Nail. :bingo:

Additionally, I believe there will be further exposure and shake-out from the H.Y.P.E. and hysteria that we saw in '07 in the .MOBI extension / mTLD / Usual Suspects™ "premium auctions", IMHO. The demise began (and greed :$: intensified) when mTLD abandoned the RFP process! :guilty: :snaphappy:

Happy New Year '08! :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
evilopinions said:
LLLL.com will be the biggest flops. Even if they do sell out I see many investors holding on to bulk llll.com domains. I just dont see an end user using a domain like wpsr.com or 6Yu8.com or 9IXZ.com. These have to be the biggest flop.

Its like the Shares. The resellers keep on buying the LLLL.com and keep on talking about it so that there is a abuzz about and prices tend to go up but at the end of the day when the truth is out it seems and is the biggest scam ever on earth.

Thats just my 2 cents.

FYI: 6Yu8.com and 9IXZ.com aren't LLLL.com but CCCC.com

Take your 2 cents back

•••
Biggest flop in 2008... Those who pass up on the opportunity to purchase reasonably priced LLLL.coms on the aftermarket :imho:

•••
biggest flop 08? no, there is no biggest flop :).

•••
QIZD said:
The Namepros aftermarket... there seems to be quite a few new registered memebers who are very uneducated that ruin sale threads, and the trend seems that it will only become a bigger issue in 08.

Can you please explain what do you think by that?

•••
- Newbie and newer domainers, getting caught up on buying names based on thread promotions like "Get your Dubai (or anything) names..", "L-L-L-L-..... going fast!", "Hurry, CV-C, or C-VC the new hot names", "Countdown for ....., got yours?", "These will be the next hot domains...."., etc. etc., posted by those with no knowledge or insight, but plenty of 'Hanging on a Prayer' hype and dreams.

- 'Anyone' not willing to think for themselves or 'outside the box', but following the lead of those that don't know themselves!!

Last edited:
•••
i read all this thread...
many interesting opinions here and according to them these will be flops in 2008

.us, .tv, .biz, .asia, .mobi, .name, .pro, .aero, .pro, .ws, .cc, .coop, .tel, .org, .eu, LLLL that wont be renewed, LLLL but dot com, brandable nonsense words, IDN (it was told spanish ones)

so, my conclusion is very simple... dot com is and will be the king for a long time even these extensions dont be a flop in 2008 or in the years to come

so guys and girls lets go to dot com :)

Last edited:
•••
Ergo said:
the biggest flop IMO will be LLL.mobi if not in 08 then it will be the biggest flop in 09. because it will become obsolete extension.
1. There are almost no developed mobi sites. At least I haven't seen anyone! :)
2. Mobile devices are becoming better and better and you can view normal sites with them instead of feature-lacking mobile versions.
3. Even bid companies don't care about mobile versions. What then about small companies. The never needed LLL.infos!
4. If you want to make mobile version of site - do it at .com with autodetection of mobile browser and offering to choose between normal version and mobile.
4. LLL.infos are even now so hugely overpriced that I'm really mad :) But I will never buy even a single .mobi unless generic commercial one word.
5. .tel will be cheaper alternative to .mobi (if anyone ever needed .mobi that I'm very doubt of) and those companies who wanted .mobi will regfee .tel because telephones are the only devices that need mobile versions of sites.
.mobi and .tel are two completely different things. Companies wanting to make their websites mobile will not use .tel. Read up a little on the difference between the two. I actually just read up on the difference myself because of your post :)

•••
hawkeye said:
Newbie and newer domainers, getting caught up on buying names based on thread promotions like "Get your Dubai (or anything) names..", "L-L-L-L-..... going fast!", "Hurry, CV-C, or C-VC the new hot names", "Countdown for ....., got yours?", "These will be the next hot domains...."., etc. etc., posted by those with no knowledge or insight, but plenty of 'Hanging on a Prayer' hype and dreams.

Exactly!

A big flop for another wave of newbies who pour a huge amount of money into domaining, hand registering names based on success stories and not on educated decisions.

•••
.mobi

.asia

.biz

.eu

and LLLL (how many companies have four words in their name? There is no inherent latent value hidden in them)

I think .TV still has some value to video based sites and .US actually may be a dark horse that could rise with time.

The rest, like .pro and .name are not even worth mentioning, so they can't really be called a flop can they?

•••
nrmillions said:
Which is longer with more letters and dots and has a higher chance of a typo and will take longer to type in your phone?

mobile.domainname.com

domainname.mobi

I think .mobi will be far from being a flop in '08.

How about

m.domainname.com <- 14 letters
domainname.mobi <- 14 letters

Fisrt one is already being used a lot, like m.google.com

•••
JAugusto said:
How about

..eeppp! "Survey says: Baannnnttt!"

Top one has 2 '.'s so that is 16 strokes for 'm.', and 15 strokes for '.mobi'.

Your point is??

•••
JAugusto said:
How about

ok, they have 14 letters each but with .mobi we have a pattern
instead of m.whateever.com, whatever.com/mobile, whatevermobile.com why not whatever.mobi?

but lets not make this thread a .mobi discussion... this thread is about flops in 2008

•••
.mobi

Why?

Because people don't change their habits. They will continue to type in Google.com into their mobile browsers, which will redirect to a mobile compliant site. But habits don't change

When Google became popular, everyone said that it was the end of the parking industry as people will just google instead of typing in. That didn't happen however; people are habitual, and .com is still at the top of everyone's mind.

Moreover, .mobi is too young a TLD to consider. .com has been around for 20 years and has 12 years of advertising behind it. You can't beat that.

•••
edit.

Last edited:
•••
On subject, anything that was bought without a proper game plan. It is clear from this thread that even dead beat domainers are beginning to realise that they are being conned with an endless stream of new offers that have no underlying intrinsic value. If there is to be growth then we need to identify where that growth is going to come from and work out how to serve the increasing demand. There are an other billion people due to come on line, but they aren't walking around in Downtown America. You all need to analyse the markets, and come up with a plan to serve the needs of emerging markets. Dot Mobi ain't going to cut it and neither are a string of other junk extension that have and are about to be launched. Start by asking who you customers are going to be. Marketing 101.

hawkeye said:
..eeppp! "Survey says: Baannnnttt!"

Top one has 2 '.'s so that is 16 strokes for 'm.', and 15 strokes for '.mobi'.

Your point is??

Only if you got a qwerty keyboard or a touch screen, but those phones are going to have fully functional zooming/scrolling browsers anyway. Be honest. Pick a bog standard phone and start typing in, either way it is a lot!

Last edited:
•••
keithmt said:
.mobi and .tel are two completely different things. Companies wanting to make their websites mobile will not use .tel. Read up a little on the difference between the two. I actually just read up on the difference myself because of your post :)
That's true. But end-users not always read and understand what certain tld means. According to your words .biz domains must have been second most popular after .com because its business internet zone. I don't read what .tel means but for me it sounds like domain somewhat connected to telephones. It can be phone numbers, mobile content, etc.

Some superpremium LL-Ls are already 2-3 regfees even considering that there are still available premium LL-Ls.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back