Domain Empire

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dot mobi is going to be as useful as ejector seats in helicopters :imho:

Dot tv will get some mileage if names are appropriate for the extension.

Country specific extensions will grow (except for dot us)

Dot asia is the latest way to rob newbs and the overly hopeful of their hard earned cash.

Just my opinions

•••
xxfireflyxx said:
Dot mobi is going to be as useful as ejector seats in helicopters :imho:

Dot tv will get some mileage if names are appropriate for the extension.

Country specific extensions will grow (except for dot us)

Dot asia is the latest way to rob newbs and the overly hopeful of their hard earned cash.

Just my opinions
Beautifuly Said

Great way of explaining the realities of .mobi and .Asia

Rep Added

•••
Stop calling me noob.

I stand by my call that .mobi will be the defacto standard of the mobile web and will chased after by all companies. They will sue everyone saying I have the .com so everything belongs to me. Just wait and see.

•••
Mobi or.tv cannot even come close to the flop parking is going to end up being.

All the money spent on all the .mobi and the .tv combined is a drop in the bucket to the money domainers are losing with the down slide of parking revenues.

The title of this thread is not which domain extension do you dislike. It is what will be the biggest flop of 2008?

Parking names is a billion dollar industry folks, to my knowledge that money is shrinking. Big bombshells have dropped on certain parking companies and domainers are getting hit in the middle of this. This is a much bigger loss than .mobi or .tv could ever be.

Am I right or am I wrong?.

•••
mrchess said:
Stop calling me noob.

I stand by my call that .mobi will be the defacto standard of the mobile web and will chased after by all companies. They will sue everyone saying I have the .com so everything belongs to me. Just wait and see.
Well people shouldn't be squatting on .mobis of companies trademarked .com's anyway, if you don't understand this, than this just proved even further of how much of noob or green horn you are, no offence you will learn with experience and time, (if someone is sitting on cocacola.mobi and cocacola.com wants to take it off them they have every right to, it is obviously an 'original' trademarked and non generic name) plus .mobi is for suckers and suckers only

Last edited:
•••
mrchess said:
Biggest flop will be .tv
This isn't even a contest. .tv is worthless.

The biggest mover will be .mobi
This will catch fire and companies will scramble and sue just because they own the .com

Hahaha... :snaphappy: :D

•••
damagedgoods said:
Double :bingo: This is just a no brainer! Enter any domain into your browser without an extension and see where it goes' .com! this will never change! How many extensions do you think the non domainer public will keep track of? Name any search engine who disagree! This was the original intension of all those who invented the internet and everything else was an afterthought.
Yep, it will never change. Just like everyone will never get cable tv...heck many people were asking, who would ever use a mobile phone?

It's called evolution friends. Nothing stays the same forever. At the rate the internet is growing and evolving it is inevitable that other exts will break ground. Look back 15 years and take notice of how the internet has come on the seen. Many thought only a few would ever use it. I see the same narrow minded thinking going on here when people say ".com will always be king". That may very well be, however, a variety of other tlds have a chance to become mainstream! It's just natural progression...don't be afraid :)

•••
damagedgoods said:
Double :bingo: This is just a no brainer! Enter any domain into your browser without an extension and see where it goes' .com! this will never change! How many extensions do you think the non domainer public will keep track of? Name any search engine who disagree! This was the original intension of all those who invented the internet and everything else was an afterthought.

incorrect

i have actually not done it many times by mistake, but have had the browser give .org.uk and .org sites before, not always com, along with others.
try and you will see. i would imagine com is the most prevelant though.
it seems it finds the most relevant or popular site. not sure whether there is a geo element too in relation to your ip etc

a great keyword with com on the end is the ideal normally but this is the top of the pyramid, there are many options.
its like saying if you cant play for brazil, football doesnt count and you cant make a living playing football ;)

•••
arnie said:
incorrect

i have actually not done it many times by mistake, but have had the browser give .org.uk and .org sites before, not always com, along with others.
try and you will see. i would imagine com is the most prevelant though.
it seems it finds the most relevant or popular site. not sure whether there is a geo element too in relation to your ip etc

a great keyword with com on the end is the ideal normally but this is the top of the pyramid, there are many options.
its like saying if you cant play for brazil, football doesnt count and you cant make a living playing football ;)
Quote: Its like saying if you cant play for brazil, football doesnt count and you cant make a living playing football ;)

Nice Analogy Pred

Go Brazil :) you football legends

•••
raredn.com said:
MrChess needs a noobie translator, read my post a bit above to understand what was going through this noobs head with no insight into the domain world whatsoever

I have no .TV either, but a noobie translator was necessary for MRChess and then you will realise mrchess probably does not even understand what a domain name is, his level is that basic, you may as well be arguing with a new born baby
_________
Actually you may be right.

Hey mrchess, welcome to the domaining world! Have a look around Namepros you will find heaps of valuable information for you. Here is a first piece of advice: keep these $$$ in check inside your wallet until you have done some serious reading. It is a tough world you step in.

Ah and Arnie, I love your football analogy.

For the record, I do not believe that .mobi will flop in the end. But a little correction would do no harm.

•••
goodkarmaco said:
Mobi or.tv cannot even come close to the flop parking is going to end up being.

All the money spent on all the .mobi and the .tv combined is a drop in the bucket to the money domainers are losing with the down slide of parking revenues.

The title of this thread is not which domain extension do you dislike. It is what will be the biggest flop of 2008?

Parking names is a billion dollar industry folks, to my knowledge that money is shrinking. Big bombshells have dropped on certain parking companies and domainers are getting hit in the middle of this. This is a much bigger loss than .mobi or .tv could ever be.

Am I right or am I wrong?.

Nice post.

•••
•••
Jeff said:
Ignore him, as the majority of his remarks are baseless - but have sympathy for him as well ... he's simply a poor newbie soul who got caught up in the hype and hysteria with the lowly "dot Mobey" and now subsequent denial, IMHO. The POINT here is; do not suffer the same fate as he and the Rosies™ (and ending in a vicious circle of denial and embarrassment) with worthless hand registrations in the ".ASIA"! :yell: :imho:

Take care, and goodnight for now. :zzz:
-Jeff B-)

At least keithmt has had the balls to have a go.

Jeff, you've been in domains how many years? What has been your secret to success? Tell us about your most daring coup - the time you took a chance and came out a winner? How many domain names do you own? I would have thought that, being such a seasoned veteran, you would have picked up some top notch premium dot coms in the beginning? No? Oh right, yes you were probably bagging out domain names in general back then...

Am I right?

•••
if google has their way, it'll be the typo's

•••
Off topic.

netfleet said:
Am I right?

I have no idea what you're asking ... why don't you PM me directly instead of straying off here in the thread, friend? :rolleyes:
Thanks much.
-Jeff B-)

•••
netfleet said:
At least keithmt has had the balls to have a go.

Jeff, you've been in domains how many years? What has been your secret to success? Tell us about your most daring coup - the time you took a chance and came out a winner? How many domain names do you own? I would have thought that, being such a seasoned veteran, you would have picked up some top notch premium dot coms in the beginning? No? Oh right, yes you were probably bagging out domain names in general back then...

Am I right?
Yes Jeff, please enlighten us to some of your names and success stories in domaining, so we can more fully understand where you're coming from with your 'domainer enlightening knowledge' that you are so willing to share here with everyone!!

(20 will get you 50, he won't post or share with others here, 'anything' of the such. His silence will validate so, so, so..much!!)

•••
My largest domain name sales over the years were all .COM's ... TubeWeb.com, SurgeMail.com CableAccessories.com, CoolHost.com, two .ORG's in the recent DT's Live Auctions, among others (total approx. $28,000+), as well as countless, literally, of Wholesale sales $Xx - $Xxx - $X,xxx+/- (please see my #1 Namepros Trader Rating™ for any further details regarding my trading history, and character) ... and I first started registering domain names in 1999, IMHO. New extensions (and I've seen my share - pre .TV., pre .INFO, pre .US, etc.), including the "dot Mobey", in which VERY FEW will ever benefit those being at the top of the pyramid(s) ... my experience. I've spent, as most here can attenst, volumes of time being active and in trying to best assist my fellow community members (particularly, and this is critical here in this context) and those that may be new or newer to domains (and thus more impressionable). Hopefully these actions speak for themeselves - and if they don't, that's OK too ... because as I've mentioned before, if discussing some of the downfalls (as they relate to the topic of "biggest flops" here) with domains gives pause or prevents even ONE of these new or newer domainers / fellow community members from wasting their hard-earned money, I can sleep well at night! :xf.love: :imho:

I'm certainly not perfect, but I think I've been here long enough ... and transacted and communicated (particularly via 1,000's of personal PM's) with enough fellow members ... that my time and experience is, by and large, helpful to most IMHO. :red:

Finally, I do not appreciate being personally attacked ... in the future, stay on the subject matter and all will work out just fine for all, in my view. If you feel you must continue to personally attack me (as part of your .MOBI Agenda™), and others, please seek to post elsewhere where that behavior may or will be tolerated. It's not welcome here at #1 Namepros! :yell:
Thank you.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Jeff, sounds like a bunch of mobi bagholders are bent out of shape. I don't post much but I do read and have found you are usually on target and always have the best of intentions

•••
WGS_Thunder said:
Jeff, sounds like a bunch of mobi bagholders are bent out of shape. I don't post much but I do read and have found you are usually on target and always have the best of intentions

Thanks you, Sir ... enough said on the matter. ;)

Goodnight for now.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
... in the future, stay on the subject matter and all will work out just fine for all, in my view.
Thank you.
-Jeff B-)
well, we all have different views of what the subject is, don't we.

I stand corrected, and out 50. :red: An actual 'tip of my hat' to you for posting. (ouch that hurt.)

MODS, ADMINS, etc, can we have the above post as a sticky somewhere for 'everyones' future reference??!

•••
..chancing on the mobile revolution

The fact is: MOST PHONES DON't HAVE INTERNET, STILL

..only when they do is it a .mobi Judgment Day call.

(but the key to domaining, is you have to be the first to get the name before the manifested trends)

Kind Regards,

Yelo

Last edited:
•••
Jeff said:
If you feel you must continue to personally attack me (as part of your .MOBI Agenda™), and others, please seek to post elsewhere where that behavior may or will be tolerated. It's not welcome here at #1 Namepros! :yell:
Thank you.
-Jeff B-)
You just had to ruin a good post reply, and add 'this' didn't you? :rolleyes: Trust me Jeff, I have no .mobi agenda (there you go, bringing .mobi up again!!), and I don't 'personnally attack' you! I just reply to what you post, and the only sumnations we can come up with, as to why you consistantly belittle as you do!

:td:

•••
hawkeye said:
I stand corrected, and out 50. :red: An actual 'tip of my hat' to you for posting. (ouch that hurt.)

MODS, ADMINS, etc, can we have the above post as a sticky somewhere for 'everyones' future reference??!

Thank you, let's move along ... and please stay on topic in the future, friend! :gl:
-Jeff B-)

•••
mrchess said:
Biggest flop will be .tv

This will catch fire and companies will scramble and sue just because they own the .com
mrchess said:
Stop calling me noob.

WRONG! The "Biggest flop" will be you!

Account closed noob.

Reason: You and your duplicate account are not welcome here.

Last edited:
•••
mrchess said:
Biggest flop will be .tv

.mobi catch fire? :lol:

.mobi got some water thrown on it. It already tanked. I think you missed it.

I don't own any .TV but I see more value in that by FAR than .mobi.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back