NameSilo

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
bfluid said:
.mobi catch fire? :lol:

.mobi got some water thrown on it. It already tanked. I think you missed it.

I don't own any .TV but I see more value in that by FAR than .mobi.
..from those with the 'vision' of LLLL.infos! :rolleyes: :zzz:

•••
hawkeye said:
..from those with the 'vision' of LLLL.infos! :rolleyes: :zzz:
Hey now. :D

They were $1 a pop? No way they aren't worth at least that. :D

•••
mrchess said:
Stop calling me noob.

I stand by my call that .mobi will be the defacto standard of the mobile web and will chased after by all companies. They will sue everyone saying I have the .com so everything belongs to me. Just wait and see.

Keep dreaming. You have a better chance of seeing God than you do of that happening. You are a behaving like a crack smoker. Put down the pipe and breathe some fresh air. You are making a fool of yourself.

•••
.Mobi is a sawn off ugly construct with no real meaning. It doesn't appear in trademark registers or lists of company names.

It's quicker to type .Com into your phone keypad and technically it's easy to set different screen layouts for different resolutions using CSS and PHP so I'm not sure why .Mobi is going to be the defacto standard of the mobile web.

Last edited:
•••
This thread is getting boring.

Its obvious that the topic for discussion here is not what will flop in 08 due to the new economic horizon, but more about personal views of new extensions.

We have way bigger fish to fry then personal views on domain extensions.

•••
akcampbell said:
.Mobi is an sawn off ugly construct with no real meaning. It doesn't appear in trademark registers or lists of company names.

It's quicker to type .Com into your phone keypad and technically it's easy to set different screen layouts for different resolutions using CSS and PHP so I'm not sure why .Mobi is going to be the defacto standard of the mobile web.
Well it certainly wont have anything to do with common domainers. It will be because of corporate adoption, e.g. http://purina.mobi

http://www.purina.com/MobileWebsite.aspx?&DCMP=ILC-PUR-MobileLaunch&HQS=Get+Started&HQS=Home

http://www.purina.com

•••
i think .my will be the next big flop, also crap .asia

•••
onewordonly said:
i think .my will be the next big flop, also crap .asia
Heh really?

Want to know the difference? It is that .my is an actual country code which means something to the people of that country. Also I did not see hyping adverts on all major registrars for .my registration, maybe they are not of the same nature? :tri:

•••
Regarding .mobi:

The real problem for mobi will be the hardware on the actual mobile device side. Everyone is basing their conclusions on the basis of the size of the mobile device screen being small. Well. within a few short years, that will not be the case.

No, mobile devices are not going to come with 17" displays. However, new technologies are coming that will allow users to view web pages in full scrren mode. For example, coming this year, mobile phones will display a full screen, high-resolution, "display" to any flat surface the small "projector" on the side of the phone is aimed at. Aim it at a wall, a blank sheet of paper, whatever. Another technology is a virtual display where the display is projected into your eye, giving you the feel of a very large screen TV. Another is paper-thin, fold out displays that folded are the size of a current display and then unfold to a larger size. Another is a pull out, paper-thin display, sort of like a scroll of paper.

Don't think these are fanciful technologies that will come in 10 years. They're coming soon. I'm an investor in several mobile technology companies and I know what I'm talking about. If you think things like this are going to take more time than I'm saying, don't forget about the exponential progression of technological advancement -- things develop faster than you think. For example, in the 21st century, we will see 20,000 years of development in the year 2000 rates (the RATE of technology doubling every 10 years); see the Law of Accelerating Returns.

No, in a few years we'll look back on the small displays like we did the huge CRT monitors of the last decade. And those holding .mobi's will become a thing of the past.

•••
Supposing cheap mobiles end up with larger screens like the ones you are describing, how do you push the rich content to go with the screen size to them? Is 2.5g-3g markup going to be basically negligible in the near future?

Or do you think everyone will be buying $60+ contracts?

•••
The standards imposed by the dotmobi registry are organic, and the mobile xhtml specification --which the registry measures as a compliance benchmark-- has continued to be modified to be more compatible with current technology since the tld was introduced. The dotmobi registry does not control the spec, and as technology changes, dotmobi moves with it. Though that does not make .mobi an automatic winner, it does not relegate the tld to extinction. It does, however, make .mobi more of a "second class" technology platform with respect to not being able to adopt the cutting edge mobile technologies as experimentation and development occurs. I would be interested in how the dotmobi registry responds to that "last adopter" assertion. I tried to connect with some of their guys Monday and Tuesday at CTIA/Las Vegas, but did not get an opportunity.

slobizman said:
And those holding .mobi's will become a thing of the past.

•••
onewordonly said:
i think .my will be the next big flop

Next big flop? If it is a flop from a domainers perspective it won't be a big one as there's only a very few domains registered.

Ironically the fact .my has been brought up as a potential 'biggest flop' candidate has given me (as a holder of a few .my domain names) hope that maybe it will go gangbusters after all!!

•••
In my personal opinion, .asia is going to be the biggest flop in history. Already people are getting majorly hyped up about it's potential. Many people are going to be losing fortunes after investing in this fiasco, and here's why.

I keep seeing people talk about how asians cover half the globe, account for so many % of the population, this sort of thing. And that means what, exactly? They're not being newly introduced to the internet or something, they're as addicted to typing .com as any other person.

Furthermore, by that logic, we should introduce .earth. 100% of humans are from earth! Surely it will be the most successful extension ever introduced? Better yet, let's go for .universe and capture the intergalactic traffic too.

The extension itself itself is no more relevant to most websites than individual country codes. Due to the more specific country extension, .asia will still be beaten in search results, so you'll get less traffic too...unless you're lucky enough to have a unique site with no competitors in the major extensions.

The only significant type of end users will be medium to large businesses wanting continent specific websites, which is a small segment of a very big market. The reason the best extensions are so successful is because they appeal to everyone, including your every day developer who wants his special name on the web.

The bottom line is, .COM is king, and always will be. The lucky few that have the premium names will flip within a year and celebrate their profits. Everyone else will be panicking in a year's time when their several hundred .asias are up for renewal and nobody is buying them. By this time, everyone will be trying to unload their names and prices will plummet to reg fee, and after this epic fail, nobody will be interested in them again.

To my friends who have invested in .asia...I hope you prove me wrong.

•••
EVDO by Sprint and Verizon now are at nearly low end DSL speeds, about 600 - 800. And they are to be rising higher quickly. As for the $60/month, remember back when DSL was several times the cost it is now. Min is now only $19/month. All technology gets cheaper, and cheaper quickly. You cannot think in today's terms.

jido said:
Supposing cheap mobiles end up with larger screens like the ones you are describing, how do you push the rich content to go with the screen size to them? Is 2.5g-3g markup going to be basically negligible in the near future?

Or do you think everyone will be buying $60+ contracts?

•••
Shorty said:
The bottom line is, .COM is king, and always will be.
I would say it is a tie-up between country-code extensions and .COM. Depends on the country, obviously in the USA it is all .COM.

•••
•••
vJRB said:
So you think MOBILE sites are going to become useless on mobile devices?

Back to this again ... :blink:

This one example is a defensive ™ protection, and experimentation IMHO ... surely with the assistance and "ecouragement" of those most seeking to legitimize the "dot Mobey", in my opinion. Purina™ is a key sponsor of Go2Pets.com - which can be visited for free from any web-enabled mobile phone at wap.go2Pets.com :gl: :imho:
Corporations are not registering and developing (and promoting) GENERIC .mobi's (versus their own ™ in extremely limited cases), that is the barometer! :red: :snaphappy:

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Corporations are not registering and developing (and promoting) GENERIC .mobi's (versus their own ™), that is the barometer! :red: :snaphappy:

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)
I agree, Jeff.

I'm developing mine tho! ;)

Last edited:
•••
vJRB said:
I'm developing mine tho! ;)

Congrats, and touche James! :music:

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
man, i wish FoxNews.mobi would stop being advertised by the news anchors live on the air several times a day so we could actually declare the "dot mobey" domain as the biggest flop of '08.

•••
Another ™ ... and not stand alone!

mjnels said:
man, i wish FoxNews.mobi would stop being advertised by the news anchors live on the air several times a day so we could actually declare the "dot mobey" domain as the biggest flop of '08.

You mentioned "flop", so you're on topic my friend ... of course, don't forget this one little - ummm, and unmentioned - aspect: wap.foxnews.proteus.com :guilty: :red: :snaphappy:

-Jeff B-)

•••
yea, i also prefer to type in wap.foxnews.proteus.com instead of the one they advertise, live on the air, all over the world... so we have something in common i guess.

oh, and i wish that when i visit wap.foxnews.proteus.com, that they would take down that top banner that says FoxNews.mobi and put one up that says wap.foxnews.proteus.com

•••
mjnels said:
yea, i also prefer to type in wap.foxnews.proteus.com instead of the one the advertise, live on the air, all over the world... so we have something in common i guess.

oh, and i wish that when i visit wap.foxnews.proteus.com, that they would take down that top banner that says FoxNews.mobi and put one up that says wap.foxnews.proteus.com

You missed both of my points above ... Fox News™ is a ™ (if they purchased and developed and promoted generic "News.mobi, now that could be considered "newsworthy" ... for instance), and #2 even they are not developing their own stand-alone "dot Mobey" IMHO. Why? :|
Lastly, this is about the oldest - and most recycled - "news" regarding the extension that I've ever seen, as well! :rolleyes:

Good Luck to you, friend ... obviously, the dire reality of the situation hasn't yet sunk in. :imho:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff, you are more of a spin-machine than Fox News. :)

•••
mjnels said:
Jeff, you are more of a spin-machine than Fox News. :)

I do like ... to be thorough! :)

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back