Domain Empire

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
goodkarmaco said:
This is not the end of the realestate meltdown. The fraud is traced now to most major banks in loaning to those who had no qualifications for borrowing the amount to finance their deal.

My quess is as more news hits Wall St of how involved the top banks were in creating the realestate bubble and how much their losses reported are we will see how big this mess is.

Let us place the blame where it most belongs - on the U.S. Congress, for forcing lenders to give loans to people that they otherwise would not have lent money to, i.e. people that were obvious credit risks. Never underestimate the stupidity of our elected officials.

•••
.eu?
this was in the eurodns newsletter:

Only 13.37% .eu Websites Active/Unique - .eu is a disaster zone
The latest WhoisIreland.com .eu web survey shows that the .eu ccTLD is in serious trouble. Out of 1723638 websites checked, only 13.37% of sites were active/unique. As a ccTLD for Europe, it is a disaster zone. Brand registrations accounted for 7.78% of registrations. The percentage of duplicate content sites was 6.02%. The percentage of websites that redirected elsewhere was 16.68%. The percentage of PPC/warehoused websites was 14.22%. The percentage of holding page sites was 16.79%

•••
Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me with a question regarding failed extentions. I personally agree that .eu is beyond help. But I hear people talk about keyboard placement having a part in their evaluation of success and failure.

But .ws is about as easy as you can get without it being a multiple character. Yet I see people regestering .asia names that are still avaialble in .ws

Just curious then as to why this might be happening other than hype. I have never bought other extentions aside from .com really but something has made me buy quite a few .asia

I think if most of the domains are just held for sale with few websites created than .asia may head in the area of disaster like .eu

Only time will tell but any thoughts on why .asia is looking hotter than .ws even in .ws early days. I really can not remember this kind of frenzy for .ws or is that like comparing apples with oranges based on the primary country specific purpose of .asia?
I have been wary to purchase any .asia name that is still available in .ws but maybe I am comparing something that should not be compared.

Thanks!

•••
sunnycoast said:
I have been wary to purchase any .asia name that is still available in .ws but maybe I am comparing something that should not be compared.

Thanks!

Exactly ... :!: ... if, even partially, you're basing your highly speculative ".ASIA" potential investments on whether or not the same domains are registered in the lowly ".WS", then you should step back and read both this thread and the threads in the Newbies Forum™ all over again, IMHO. :blink:
In all due respect, that's a completely failed logic ... in my view. :guilty: :red:

Hope that helps!
-Jeff B-)

•••
The biggest flop will be any hand regged .com
from this point forward until the end of time.
Toomanypeoplereggingjustbecauseits.com is a
way to lose $$$ IMHO ;)

•••
Thanks you confirmed my own thoughts on my fleeting moment logic. Appreciate your post to squash the curiosity monstor.

•••
keithmt said:
way to lose $$$ IMHO ;)
recently hand regged pcgamersworld
not too bad?

•••
smashfactory said:
.eu?
this was in the eurodns newsletter:

Only 13.37% .eu Websites Active/Unique - .eu is a disaster zone
The latest WhoisIreland.com .eu web survey shows that the .eu ccTLD is in serious trouble. Out of 1723638 websites checked, only 13.37% of sites were active/unique. As a ccTLD for Europe, it is a disaster zone. Brand registrations accounted for 7.78% of registrations. The percentage of duplicate content sites was 6.02%. The percentage of websites that redirected elsewhere was 16.68%. The percentage of PPC/warehoused websites was 14.22%. The percentage of holding page sites was 16.79%
Can it even get any worse?!

M.

•••
WGS_Thunder said:
recently hand regged pcgamersworld
not too bad?
What do you estimate the value to be
without development?

•••
sunnycoast said:
Thanks you confirmed my own thoughts on my fleeting moment logic. Appreciate your post to squash the curiosity monstor.

You're welcome. :)

keithmt said:
way to lose $$$ IMHO ;)

Let me guess, you're a "dot Mobey" hypster ... is that correct? :blink:

Your outrageous example of "Toomanypeoplereggingjustbecauseits.com" is, of course, a poor registration ... but the best opportunities that exist today are in less obscure - and available - niche .COM investments (versus available, made up, hand-registered stuff in the lowly "dot Mobey", ".ASIA", or ".EU" new extensions), IMHO. :gl:

The .MOBI Scraps™ are going to be dropping by the tens of 1,000's! by September '08, in my judgement ... if folks aren't careful, this will repeat again for the ".ASIA"! :o

Best regards,
-Jeff B-)

•••
keithmt said:
What do you estimate the value to be
without development?
it was appraised here around low XXX. I've been told it's worth more but we are going to develop this one soon and expect it to be popular. Thanks

•••
Jeff said:
You're welcome. :)

Let me guess, you're a "dot Mobey" hypster ... is that correct? :blink:

Your outrageous example of "Toomanypeoplereggingjustbecauseits.com" is, of course, a poor registration ... but the best opportunities that exist today are in less obscure - and available - niche .COM investments (versus available, made up, hand-registered stuff in the "dot Mobey", ".ASIA", or ".EU"), IMHO. :gl:

The .MOBI Scraps™ are going to be dropping by the tens of 1,000's by September '08, in my judgement ... if folks aren't careful, this will repeat again for the ".ASIA"! :o

Best regards,
-Jeff B-)
Bah, .com is old school. We have a whole new generation of domainers and businesses looking to get nice keywords at affordable prices. Fishing for the 80 millionth .com is not the way to go IMO.

New tlds will open up a whole new spectrum of the still brand new internet. We have seen the internet explode over the last 10-15 years and during that time it was all about .com. Now that .com is saturated to the point of no return we will see new tlds bring the internet to the next stage.

My guess is that in another 10-15 years .com will just be another tld amongst various other exts...no better, no worse.

•••
keithmt said:
way to lose $$$ IMHO ;)
Really?

I just regged SalzburgCity.com

Salzburg City is the fourth largest city in Austria and also the birthplace of Mozart

SalzburgCity.TV - regged since 2001

.INFO and .AT taken as well

•••
well i think .ASIA will be the biggest flop because asians themselves wont use it.. they dont even CALL themselves asian... its just us westerners that call them that.

I guess some domains like travel.asia and stuff like that could get valuable... but i dont see many endusers here... at least not asians.

•••
xman said:
Really?

I just regged SalzburgCity.com

Salzburg City is the fourth largest city in Austria and also the birthplace of Mozart

SalzburgCity.TV - regged since 2001

.INFO and .AT taken as well
Shouldn't you have regged: "SalzburgStadt" or "StadtSalzburg" or to stick within the English context "CityOfSalzburg"? Just wondering :-/

M.

•••
frankiethepet said:
well i think .ASIA will be the biggest flop because asians themselves wont use it.. they dont even CALL themselves asian... its just us westerners that call them that.

I guess some domains like travel.asia and stuff like that could get valuable... but i dont see many endusers here... at least not asians.

^^ :bingo:

keithmt said:
Bah, .com is old school. We have a whole new generation of domainers and businesses looking to get nice keywords at affordable prices. Fishing for the 80 millionth .com is not the way to go IMO.

New tlds will open up a whole new spectrum of the still brand new internet. We have seen the internet explode over the last 10-15 years and during that time it was all about .com. Now that .com is saturated to the point of no return we will see new tlds bring the internet to the next stage.

My guess is that in another 10-15 years .com will just be another tld amongst various other exts...no better, no worse.

:bah:

You and some of your wishful .MOBI Rosies™ got into some bad "dot Mobey" juice ... and it's impairing your judgement, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Please don't make the exact same mistakes with the ".ASIA", friends! :yell:

Caveat emptor!
-Jeff B-)

•••
keithmt said:

I would have said the same thing when the first round of TLD's were introduced, but it just hasn't happened that way. However, now I think it's the opposite. If new TLD's aren't introduced, it may give info/biz a chance to rise not equal to, but closer to the level of .com. If they are introduced, it just creates more paupers under the king and princes.

Until search completely replaces direct navigation, .com will have the advantage.

keithmt said:

It may be less of a gap, but I don't think anything has a chance to catch up to be equal with .com any time in the foreseeable future. Too much has been invested in .com sites to ever switch. The more other TLD's start to catch up, the more the .COM will be emphasized by the present owners. "Dot-com" is no longer just an extension... it's a word, an "upper class" of websites, and almost a generic description of an online business. The number one registrar Godaddy only makes it worse by running commercials saying "get your dot-com name" instead of the generic wording of "domain name".

:imho:

•••
frankiethepet said:

Indeed, thats, why the .asia names I would like to have would only be aimed at westerners not at asians at all like: discover.asia, experience.asia, travel.asia, cooking.asia and trade .asia (for western trade to asia)

I think there is a 'far far far' bigger concern as to whether .asia flops miserably or triumphs admirably

'The biggest concern' is the noobie 'register anything attitude being displayed in the .asia showcase thread'

Now hear me out people, 'these people are not thinking at all', [highlight]even if .asia does become a huge extension, the names displayed in the .asia showcase thread will be worthless junk anyway[/highlight] unless solely going for developing, as with .com only select names have value anyway, these noobs think money grows on trees, they don't understand the complete picture of how domaining works :| IMO they are clueless

_______

Last edited:
•••
Mike said:
Shouldn't you have regged: "SalzburgStadt" or "StadtSalzburg" or to stick within the English context "CityOfSalzburg"? Just wondering :-/

M.
All those were regged in .com

For some reason I prefer GeoCity over CityOfGeo. I guess that's because it is shorter. But don't get me wrong if I see any good available city under CityOfGeo I will not hesitate to take it.

•••
keithmt said:

I completely disagree. Are there any signs that any other extensions are gaining ground on .com? Don't get me wrong I'm not a sage vet of the internet, but I would love to see some examples of businesses that are using other extensions.

•••
sunnycoast said:
But .ws is about as easy as you can get without it being a multiple character. Yet I see people regestering .asia names that are still avaialble in .ws

.ws has a dark cloud hanging over it similar to being a "bastard child". Most of it actually created by domainers instead of end users. It's a ccTLD, but then again it's not treated like a ccTLD. It's definitely not an ICANN sanctioned gTLD or sTLD. Samoa is the technical owner, but a commercial entity has leased almost full control. You can't transfer them to a different registrar, which is a major negative factor in ease of trading them or consolidating to a favorite registrar. Don't get me wrong, I think they have some potential even against these odds, and I own almost 200 strong .ws keyword domains for the long term.

.asia IS an ICANN sanctioned domain. It doesn't have the limitations of .ws, except for a nexus restriction. The problem with .asia is that it's both a geo targeted domain and covers many languages. It's almost a second layer over the individual ccTLD's of the countries in Asia. If I really wanted an .asia domain for development, I'd want that word in about 20 Asian languages and different IDN character sets to be covered and avoid confusion. It might be easier to just use .com or .net.

•••
keithmt said:

keithmt, you are on the right track but IMO it's the cc-TLD's that will rise against the .com machine. I think the .net, .biz, .info, .tv etc will really struggle to find a distinction in the minds of an end user. .mobi has a clear distinctions for its use but I worry about the potential market in that extension (although I could be wrong = it might kick-ass!).

cc-TLD's have a clear distinction that's easy to see by anyone including, importantly non-domainers. Also many cc-TLDs are located in or targetted to the accepted growth areas of the internet.

•••
keithmt said:

This is what i have thought about too, .com is still gonna be one of the most valuable domains but on the whole its gonna DROP alot in value, cause the more extensions that gets accepted by the "demanders" the more competition .coms gonna have and loose its monopoly and a lot of its value.

•••
[QUOTE= (although I could be wrong = it might kick-ass!).

Maybe yes, but don't need to ask your age to say' not in our lifetime!

I think .asia is a big looser too (they might have learned something from the .mobi big hype launch to "hey, maybe this extension is obsolete for it's intended purpose, and only months after the launch! :tri: .asia decided "Let's invent a system to milk everyone prior to it's legacy. :|

With the exception of some big country specific extensions .com .net .org will always reign supreme.

Sorry to ramble, ok, biggest loosers (for investers 2008) .mobi .asia and the very next rollout, whatever that may be. That's my 2 cents!

•••
damagedgoods said:
Sorry to ramble, ok, biggest loosers (for investers 2008) .mobi .asia and the very next rollout, whatever that may be. That's my 2 cents!

^ Other than the "dot Mobey" being THE biggest crash and burn of all time, I think that (your post above) sums it up nicely, in a nutshell, IMHO. :music:

Great thread! :talk: :imho:
-Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back