IT.COM

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Jeff said:
^^ :bingo:

:bah:

You and some of your wishful .MOBI Rosies™ got into some bad "dot Mobey" juice ... and it's impairing your judgement, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Please don't make the exact same mistakes with the ".ASIA", friends! :yell:

Caveat emptor!
-Jeff B-)

Double :bingo: This is just a no brainer! Enter any domain into your browser without an extension and see where it goes' .com! this will never change! How many extensions do you think the non domainer public will keep track of? Name any search engine who disagree! This was the original intension of all those who invented the internet and everything else was an afterthought.

Last edited:
•••
The interesting thing is that the vast majority of those who bag other extensions and can't see past .com's are from the US.

I really don't mean to cause offence by that - it's understandable why - .com is the de-facto cc-TLD in the US so, from a US POV it's hard to understand why anyone would consider anything else.

And, Jeff, please start spelling .mobi correctly!! LOL

•••
netfleet said:
The interesting thing is that the vast majority of those who bag other extensions and can't see past .com's are from the US.

I really don't mean to cause offence by that - it's understandable why - .com is the de-facto cc-TLD in the US so, from a US POV it's hard to understand why anyone would consider anything else.

And, Jeff, please start spelling .mobi correctly!! LOL
[HIGHLIGHT]IMPORTANT INFORMATION, WHY .MOBI IS TRULY A SCAM!!!, [/HIGHLIGHT]

Doing some research into the .mobi extension, it turns out that .mobi is more of scam than one would first imagine, also .mobi also scams advertisers:

I am not from the US, like that matters anyway, but just incase you think there is a related (conjured up) bias. Also I do own some international cc domain names, so that pretty much eliminates your other come backs

1. This is something I noticed straight away about .mobi, have a look at .mobi parked page. The advertisers are for standard .com, non .mobi enhanced advertisers webpages. Now since the .mobi page is supposedly made to show on small screen devices, what happens when the person looking at the ad, clicks on it, on their small screen device and it goes to a full size heavily coded .com website, well the parked page generates a pay per click (if a payper click advertiser) the hyperlink goes to the .com website and the person looking at the small screen device can not see the .com website properly. The .mobi parked page has in effect STOLEN MONEY FROM THE ADVERTISER, SERIOUSLY

2. Also how often do you see any search weight being placed on .mobi domain names when searching google on a pc, none, SEO and links are disregarded on 'pcs and laptops' and other full size computers in regard to .mobi, so that general search is not cluttered with sites optimized for small screens, google tries to make everything run smooth, that is why they have done this. So .mobi is only of any use at all for websites optimized for mobile devices and websites without advertisements at all, because linking a .mobi advertiser to a full size .com advertisers webpage, pretty much destroys any reason for why .mobi should exist

3. enough said, now who's thinking outside of the box (sorry not the .mobi folk), looks like I am

Last edited:
•••
.mobi already fell so it can't count.

I think we will see .us take its final kneal (though its close).

•••
bfluid said:
.mobi already fell so it can't count.

I think we will see .us take its final kneal (though its close).
True but .mobi diehards come through this thread, thinking they know everything about new extensions and why they will thrive (ie like .asia) when they are already walking in quicksand

•••
Good points raredn.

I guess the only thing that can overcome these two points is if

1) the advertisers page is also a .mobi & suited to the phone (which might happen in time, i guess) and

2) if people search from their mobile devices and Google etc gives preference to domains with .mobi extension.

Who knows. I'm not a .mobi fan myself btw - more of an anti-.com and pro-cc-TLD type ;) !!

•••
Thats good to hear netfleet, nothing wrong with cc IMO.

I have noticed true diehard .mobi fans still abound in these threads though, giving somewhat warped advice on why to buy .asia

Last edited:
•••
netfleet said:
Good points raredn.

2) if people search from their mobile devices and Google etc gives preference to domains with .mobi extension.

Unfortunately, new Google Mobile automatically formats any website (.com, .net, .cc, etc) listed in the search results into mobile device compatible form.

•••
mrdomainman said:
Unfortunately, new Google Mobile automatically formats any website (.com, .net, .cc, etc) listed in the search results into mobile device compatible form.
Ok, cool, thanks mrdomainman, Google Mobile it is then :)

•••
raredn.com said:
Thats good to hear netfleet, nothing wrong with cc IMO, The true .mobi die hard here is 'keithmt'

But keithmt, seems to think he is the pinnacle of knowledge when it comes domains and .asia, based on nothing from what I can see

Ignore him, as the majority of his remarks are baseless - but have sympathy for him as well ... he's simply a poor newbie soul who got caught up in the hype and hysteria with the lowly "dot Mobey" and now subsequent denial, IMHO. The POINT here is; do not suffer the same fate as he and the Rosies™ (and ending in a vicious circle of denial and embarrassment) with worthless hand registrations in the ".ASIA"! :yell: :imho:

Take care, and goodnight for now. :zzz:
-Jeff B-)

•••
I believe everything besides .com/net/org will start to lose value drastically in 08/09

.asia is a joke they just made thousands off of people who think its their person get rich scheme

•••
Jeff said:
Ignore him, as the majority of his remarks are baseless - but have sympathy for him as well ... he's simply a poor newbie soul who got caught up in the hype and hysteria with the lowly "dot Mobey" and now subsequent denial, IMHO. The POINT here is; do not suffer the same fate as he and the Rosies™ (and ending in a vicious circle of denial and embarrassment) with worthless hand registrations in the ".ASIA"! :yell: :imho:

Take care, and goodnight for now. :zzz:
-Jeff B-)
worthless hand registrations in the ".ASIA"!

I agree. I think all .Asia "Hand Registrations" have little chance of surviving the 'migration' to the great domain pool of 'life'

•••
keithmt said:
The biggest flop will be any hand regged .com
from this point forward until the end of time.
Toomanypeoplereggingjustbecauseits.com is a
way to lose $$$ IMHO ;)

Wrong, but you are correct in as much as the ASCII.com is pretty much played out. You are wrong because like many, including some internet guru's, you must be thinking that the future growth of the Internet will be largely English. It won't. Indeed speculators have already over-stretched that expectation. Don't under-estimate the dot com brand, however, with the extended character sets, and the extension confusion that is about to ensue with New gTLDs, dot com could easily stretch to a Billion registrations.

•••
raredn.com said:
[HIGHLIGHT]IMPORTANT INFORMATION, WHY .MOBI IS TRULY A SCAM!!!, [/HIGHLIGHT]

Doing some research into the .mobi extension, it turns out that .mobi is more of scam than one would first imagine, also .mobi also scams advertisers:

I am not from the US, like that matters anyway, but just incase you think there is a related (conjured up) bias. Also I do own some international cc domain names, so that pretty much eliminates your other come backs

1. This is something I noticed straight away about .mobi, have a look at .mobi parked page. The advertisers are for standard .com, non .mobi enhanced advertisers webpages. Now since the .mobi page is supposedly made to show on small screen devices, what happens when the person looking at the ad, clicks on it, on their small screen device and it goes to a full size heavily coded .com website, well the parked page generates a pay per click (if a payper click advertiser) the hyperlink goes to the .com website and the person looking at the small screen device can not see the .com website properly. The .mobi parked page has in effect STOLEN MONEY FROM THE ADVERTISER, SERIOUSLY

2. Also how often do you see any search weight being placed on .mobi domain names when searching google on a pc, none, SEO and links are disregarded on 'pcs and laptops' and other full size computers in regard to .mobi, so that general search is not cluttered with sites optimized for small screens, google tries to make everything run smooth, that is why they have done this. So .mobi is only of any use at all for websites optimized for mobile devices and websites without advertisements at all, because linking a .mobi advertiser to a full size .com advertisers webpage, pretty much destroys any reason for why .mobi should exist

3. enough said, now who's thinking outside of the box (sorry not the .mobi folk), looks like I am

You demonstrated that .mobi landing pages are a scam, thank you. Also that advertisers do not have a mobile device format which looks like an oversight. Any suggestions what could address these issues?

•••
jido said:
You demonstrated that .mobi landing pages are a scam, thank you. Also that advertisers do not have a mobile device format which looks like an oversight. Any suggestions what could address these issues?
To me .mobi is a catch twenty two, advertisers are not going to go out and make .mobi sites to go alongside their standard website, just so .mobi sites can link to it. They may make their .com websites more mobile complient, (lighter code, jscript, styles and the final display of html to the user), but this defeats the purpose of .mobi's existince yet again.

I have to agree with the people that say .mobi is just a 'snake oil' money making ploy. It is mean and heartless, the registry let the .mobi extension go on, just to take peoples money, knowing it was a useless extension after realities of it's short falls started to hit after its launch

Last edited:
•••
Biggest flop will be .tv
This isn't even a contest. .tv is worthless.

The biggest mover will be .mobi
This will catch fire and companies will scramble and sue just because they own the .com

•••
mrchess said:
Biggest flop will be .tv

This will catch fire and companies will scramble and sue just because they own the .com

LOL

•••
april fools?

mrchess said:
Biggest flop will be .tv

I think the opposite will happen... Maybe .tv will not catch fire but it will do better than .mobi this year.. wait it is already happening :)

Really, I don't have hardly any stake in either soo this is just my opinion..

•••
The bottom line is that dotmbi sucks my hog. It is a phoney extention and NOBODY on the planet except loser domainers even knows what it is. The FACTS are brutal.

•••
LOL.
I know all the .tv tweenies will come out swinging. I am sorry you wasted
your money on .tv domains.

.tv isn't on the list of the registers. I have to scroll down to find it.

.mobi is in the common area and very easy to find.

.tv is dead and buried. Game over.

•••
mrchess said:
LOL.

Registrars? Why do they come into the picture?

Come on, get real.

•••
jido said:
Registrars? Why do they come into the picture?

Come on, get real.
What MrChess means is that when he searches on namecheap, godaddy or whatever registrar, he IS CONFRONTED with .mobi come up as one of the TLD's on the REGISTRARS SEARCH, as registrars are known souless pushes of the evil .mobi. MrChess, is obviously a noob on the most basic level and has no idea that what regsitrars PUSH on their home pages is ONLY to put more greedy money in their pockets (ie: .asia and .mobi) HAS NO RELEVANCE TO WHAT actually HAPPENS ON THE ACTUAL INTERNET ITSELF

•••
I don't think .tv is gonna flop, pointless names with no connection to TV are worthless with that extension of course, but anything that can have it's TV show, advertising or any videos is ok.
.mobi on the other hand is not so good IMHO, why such a long extension for mobile devices? It would need A LOT of marketing to get popular between general public...

•••
mrchess said:
LOL.

I have exactly 0 .tv's. But I do not agree with your statement at all. .mobey is dead.

•••
Alex said:
I have exactly 0 .tv's. But I do not agree with your statement at all. .mobey is dead.
MrChess needs a noobie translator, read my post a bit above to understand what was going through this noobs head with no insight into the domain world whatsoever

I have no .TV either, but a noobie translator was necessary for MRChess and then you will realise mrchess probably does not even understand what a domain name is, his level is that basic, you may as well be arguing with a new born baby
_________

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back