IT.COM

question .top VS .xyz - Which of those 2 TLDs will stay on top before this year (2016) ends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

What do you think which TLD will stay on top (in amount of registrations) before this year (2016) ends:

.top or .xyz - what do you think, which one will it be?

The current status: https://namestat.org/

Share your personal assessment here.
Thank you and all the best with your domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure what that means but would like to see the video you posted xyz vrs top, or was this just something that doesn't exist? It looks like a video presentation from the pic. If it's just a made up picture then it's a waste of everyone's time and they should ignore. BJMO

Looks like a twitter link to me, with a dead end to the subject matter. Must be your twitter... :P

No sure what your point it. But I don't think Afnic/.fr registry post something doesn't exist.

•••
No sure what your point it. But I don't think Afnic/.fr registry post something doesn't exist.

I'm just following your link and it means nothing, therefore that's what my point is. Looks more like spam than subject matter. Post something relevant, rather a link to your twitter account. :-,

Surely you can see it's just a picture of xyz vrs top, what's the point?

•••
I'm just following your link and it means nothing, therefore that's what my point is. Looks more like spam than subject matter. Post something relevant, rather a link to your twitter account. :-,

Surely you can see it's just a picture of xyz vrs top, what's the point?

A picture of .xyz vs .top relates this thread theme .top VS .xyz
It's a comparison of the two tlds outside this thread.
That's my point.
NO more reply to your boring comments.

•••
A picture of .xyz vs .top relates this thread theme .top VS .xyz
It's a comparison of the two tlds outside this thread.
That's my point.
NO more reply to your boring comments.

Thanks for the picture, something with substance is what counts. Cute but means nothing and very misleading. Sorry I'm boring you but I will respond when you mislead members with a link to your twitter account. ;)

•••
Currently, .XYZ has 2,35 times more registered domains than .TOP.

Maybe it's time for a new poll. Will .XYZ have five time more regs than .TOP at the end of the year? :P

•••
Currently, .XYZ has 2,35 times more registered domains than .TOP.

Maybe it's time for a new poll. Will .XYZ have five time more regs than .TOP at the end of the year?
The year (2016) isn't over ;)

•••
The year (2016) isn't over ;)

You're right. Much can still happen in the surrealistic world of new gTLDs.

95-alice_in_wonderland_movie_2010-wallpaper-4096x3072.jpg

•••
•••
A small .top vs .xyz UPDATE

.top TLD at namestat.org.png

.top PLUS 10,049 .top's
.xyz MINUS 32,084 .xyz's

•••
•••
We know that we have to wait until next summer before seeing .top 'on the top'.

Btw, I am highly excited how many of that penny domains will be renewed.

•••
before .xyz started to give away free domains .top was very close to them and would have surpassed them within 2 months.

Now if .top would give away free domains like .xyz they would probably surpass them rather quickly.

So at the moment it's not so much a question of popularity but rather who has deeper pockets and is willing to incur more losses.

•••
before .xyz started to give away free domains .top was very close to them and would have surpassed them within 2 months.

Now if .top would give away free domains like .xyz they would probably surpass them rather quickly.
Exactly, well said.

•••
We know that we have to wait until next summer before seeing .top 'on the top'.

I only know that I think it will happen within this year (2016).

•••
I only know that I think it will happen within this year (2016).

I think it will be hard to predict because the outcome will depend on the marketing strategies of the registries.

I don't doubt that if .top were to spend a lot of money and started give away domains for free or below ICANN fee and .xyz didn't change their current prices they would be on .top in less than 6 months.

In the past week .xyz was struggling to add more registrations, even before the 30k drop, that despite being priced less than $1.

If they started to give away more domains for free they could probably add a lot more but that strategy won't work forever.

•••
Changed from '100 percent certain', to 'think' :-D

Still, .TOP are almost only selling names that are romanizations of Chinese characters (Pinyin) and/or short chips. Source: https://namebio.com/?s=wN3UjMycjN

•••
While .XYZ mostly is selling in English keywords and short chips and numerics. Source: https://namebio.com/?s=wN0cjMycjN

I don't say that .XYZ is a 'better' domain. I think they are rather equal, but have a slightly different target group.

•••
Changed from '100 percent certain', to 'think' :-D

No, no.
No change, 'I think' = 'I am 100 % certain', at least in this context.

Beside my conviction, there is the fact that .xyz exists about a half year longer than .top and it is offered by the biggest registrar in the world (GD) while .top still isn't (but no problem, .top doesn't need GD).

I note your and others points / facts and I don't deny them.
But I am simply not impressed by them because they are just current cicumstances and I am just waiting for the worldwide .top 'breakout / explosion' - especially in german market.

Last edited:
•••
@KINGOF.TOP You just don't get it. Ain't no explosion coming. Ever. For a TLD that has subtle sexual insinuations. Never ever.

•••
@KINGOF.TOP You just don't get it. Ain't no explosion coming. Ever. For a TLD that has subtle sexual insinuations. Never ever.

I don't see it in another context than as a synonyme for 'best'.
That's how this term is used in economic world and that's what counts.

•••
I am just waiting for the worldwide .top 'breakout / explosion' - especially in german market.

You own a huge number of them so I fully understand you. Best of luck...

•••
You own a huge number of them so I fully understand you. Best of luck...

*Best of success.

I do not believe in 'luck', either that .top will gain anything trough it.

I rather think that specific marketing, from .top registry and its supporters, is the proper way to their target.

•••
Still, .TOP are almost only selling names that are romanizations of Chinese characters (Pinyin) and/or short chips. Source: https://namebio.com/?s=wN3UjMycjN

.TOP is already approved by the MIIT in China. Once .XYZ is approved in China I expect it to pick up the pace with PINYIN and maybe CHIPS.

Keep in mind that residents in China cannot even host websites on .XYZ domain names yet (.TOP can already be used in China).

What will happen when .XYZ gains MIIT approval and the owners in China can finally host websites on their domains in .xyz?

P.S.
XYZ and
CLUB were two of the 1st extensions to apply for MIIT approval.

Last edited:
•••
.top +13k today, they are adding like crazy.

1 .xyz 6,189,308 -777
2 .top 2,806,574 13,218

•••
.top +13k today, they are adding like crazy.

1 .xyz 6,189,308 -777
2 .top 2,806,574 13,218

And here is the screenshot for direct & immediate view:

Today's stats .top vs .xyz

.top TLD at namestat.org.png

.top PLUS 13,218 .top's
.xyz MINUS 777 .xyz's

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back