Dynadot

discuss Is the Domain King on the money with his predictions for .WEB?

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In back-to-back tweets Rick shared his thoughts on .WEB which he thinks will get more registrations in its first 30 days than any other new gTLD. It’s hard not to listen when someone who has been in the domain industry since the very beginning highlights a new gTLD when he’s in general not a huge fan of new gTLDs. Right or wrong I’m always a fan of people sharing their opinions and have always liked that Rick isn’t shy about it.
In short, I’m listening and I am very interested in seeing how .WEB does, Rick has been made some pretty solid predictions over the years, could this be his next big one? What do you think? Comment and let your voice be heard!..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe .web will be a success! :)

•••
The problem here is that just by him saying that...he has already skewered the sales figures for the first 30 days of .web - even if some people just buy like 2 or 3 in case he might be right.. the fact that he is basically already marketing the extension will add to a substantial spike in registrations...

I do see .web as being a winner IF they have the foresight to think long term and not try to make quick money... so no premium renewals, no premiums domains at all... make it a free for all land grab ..everything at standard registration fee.... people will grab good names for cheap...both domainers and end users..and guess what happens then??? People will actually use these domains and develop them... which means more .web domains out in the wild...which means FREE marketing and brand awareness... = LONG TERM SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS.

Last edited:
•••
The problem here is that just by him saying that...he has already skewered the sales figures for the first 30 days of .web - even if some people just buy like 2 or 3 in case he might be right.. the fact that he is basically already marketing the extension will add to a substantial spike in registrations...

I do see .web as being a winner IF they have the foresight to think long term and not try to make quick money... so no premium renewals, no premiums domains at all... make it a free for all land grab ..everything at standard registration fee.... people will grab good names for cheap...both domainers and end users..and guess what happens then??? People will actually use these domains and develop them... which means more .web domains out in the wild...which means FREE marketing and brand awareness... = LONG TERM SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS.

The can keep like 100-300 premium domains, make them happy, but not 30000 premium domains:((

•••
Gtlds do themselves no favours by pricing themselves out of the market

OK so we can get. Coms for less than $10 each but as an example lets assume. Coms are $10 each

Any gtld that thinks they are worth $50+ each to buy and renew each year would have to be a decent gtld when a person can buy at least 5 x. Coms for the same price

Although the other side of the coin is that as good as. Coms are etc

Every gtld bought is diverting domain $'s away from those who have large. Com portfolios and putting their domain $'s in to the gtld basket etc which if you think about it etc anyone who has invested heavily in. Com portfolios etc is effectively watching potential customers walk past the. Com market stall to shop in the gtld shopping centre etc and would have to say buy your. Coms here don't buy gtlds as that costs. Com sellers profit $'s

Frank schilling has got it spot on when you think about it as not only does he have one of the best or largest. Com portfolios eg - win

A registrar - win

And gtld registries - win

Eg gtlds

So he wins every which way and virtually can't lose

•••
i'd be happy to learn why .web is expected to become that strong and popular.
what are the major points behind that belief?

•••
If even .net is not considered investment-grade, why .web would ?
Besides, Verisign will certainly price it like .tv.
Never quite understood the excitement, it's just another extension coming late to the party, when the lights are being switched off.

•••

Purely because Industry big wigs are promoting it.... is it because it actually is a good TLD or is it because he is paid to do so or is invested into the .tld on some level...

Who knows :) I've learned in this game... 90% of everything is smoke and mirrors...and even the folks who have been in the game for ages...don't realize the level of smoke and mirrors...

Last edited:
•••
Mind you cob.web won't or won't have gone cheap

•••
First it was .guru
Then it was .xyz
Then it was .blog

Now it's .web....LOL

It's like watching an episode of the Three Stooges....

•••
I've made some one-word free reservations into .web, but will see... the costs :xf.cool:

I like .web, it is a well-known worlwide term, consistent in the field.

•••
I like .web, it is a well-known worlwide term, consistent in the field.

so is .link, .site, .zone, .online etc...
ok, they are longer a bit (does it matter?), then is it any better than .net?

•••
If even .net is not considered investment-grade, why .web would ?
Besides, Verisign will certainly price it like .tv.
Never quite understood the excitement, it's just another extension coming late to the party, when the lights are being switched off.

being late to the party can be a problem but being late to the .party isn't.

i don't see why .web should ever be better than .net though.

.web looks worse than .net, .web will have nasty premium renewals or higher prices, .web is 20 years too late at least, no one knows .web

there is not one thing that .web does better than .net

Last edited:
•••
It may do better than other gTLD's, who knows, but like all other extensions it's not easy and it will take time for Pepsi to catch up with Coke (which still hasn't happened).

•••
.com, .net , .org have consistent renewal fees over many years... .Web who knows just like the rest of them??? new gTLDs is very high risk IMO.

If .web become a success then .net would most likely significantly increase in value? Who knows???

Only time will tell??? (y)

•••

In my opinion Verisign is the far best company to run and market .web. First o all it has the financial resources and if they keep the registration fees in the .com and .net range the market will response bullish. Customers need the warranty that the pricing will be stable for many years without premiums and extraordinarily price increases. If Verisign will be able to deliver this combined with marketing efforts I would predict that .web TLD could be very successful.

•••
Purely because Industry big wigs are promoting it.... is it because it actually is a good TLD or is it because he is paid to do so or is invested into the .tld on some level...

Who knows :) I've learned in this game... 90% of everything is smoke and mirrors...and even the folks who have been in the game for ages...don't realize the level of smoke and mirrors...

Everybody has to decide for themselfes if they will like .web or not. There are over 7 billion people which will have to decide. For sure there is a lot of speculation but on the other hand any efforts toward marketing any gTLD is fine for me, because that means that somebody is behind the TLD and is caring about it. If or if not is the domain king in any way related to Verisign or .web launch is irrelevant. I for myself will decide if the terms and conditions of .web will be public.

•••
so what's mr. Schwartz’s reasoning, anyone?
apart from "i know because i'm a Domain King"...
not against .web, just curious

ps. i've just discovered i don't have a single .net. feel depressed now :(

•••
The problem with .web is that it's vestigial. It's my opinion that interest in internet names will trend toward brevity and clarity. As time goes on, span the dot names will be the shortest and most natural for companies to desire.

When there is no matching extension or in the case of a single word, the pecking order for domains will probably be prestige first and then extensions that add meaning to the left side. Dot com will always be the prestige extension for single word domains. The .net and .web extensions are redundant as internet users are already aware the domain is on the "net" or "web". The .org extension tells the user the domain belongs to (probably) a non-profit. The .club expresses community, .xyz is for the x, y, and z generations and .vip tells the user the site is for important people. These extensions are off to a decent start.

The generics that are struggling are the .click, .link, .red etc. People know its a link and that they need to click it. The .red extension fails because its not even vestigial, it makes no sense and adds no context. The .biz fails because it adds meaning but that meaning is usually subtractive because its unprofessional.

I have a hard time seeing people who yawn at .net become animated to pay premium prices for a .web. Category killer names will always have some value regardless of extension. I just don't think the .web extension will do much.

The .com extension is a special case because of it's prolific use. Everything else either needs to bring value to the left side, or be a span the dot and make the name pretty.

Last edited:
•••
so what's mr. Schwartz’s reasoning, anyone?
apart from "i know because i'm a Domain King"...
not against .web, just curious

ps. i've just discovered i don't have a single .net. feel depressed now :(

Easy to solve - reg a .net and the sun will come out :)

•••
It may do better than other gTLD's, who knows, but like all other extensions it's not easy and it will take time for Pepsi to catch up with Coke (which still hasn't happened).

Good example

Eg one of those is king and the other would like to be

I prefer coca cola irrespective of price

I would buy coca cola at twice the price all day long

But no amount of price reduction would make me buy pepsi

Based purely on the fact that I like the taste of coca cola and don't like the taste of Pepsi etc

But. Com v gtld some people just prefer. Com and nothing much if anything comes close and even though. Web may prove to be popular. Com is still king by some considerable distance

•••
.web will fail in my opinion, it brings no additional value to the domain. The whole point of these ngtlds is they will add extra benefit to the right of the dot i.e. more descriptive. This doesn't do that at all. A domain is already on the web. Why waste 3 letters stating the obvious.

.net is the same as .web ...and look how that is doing.

Last edited:
•••
The problem with .web is that it's vestigial. It's my opinion that interest in internet names will trend toward brevity and clarity. As time goes on, span the dot names will be the shortest and most natural for companies to desire.

When there is no matching extension or in the case of a single word, the pecking order for domains will probably be prestige first and then extensions that add meaning to the left side.

That's the problem, from a usability point of view.

But how is someone to know if an extension exists or not ? There are 1000's.

It's faster to type 3 extra characters than try to remember if an extension even exists.

•••
Regarding Rick's prediction, I can't figure out why .web will be a success either.

And of course, "success" is open to interpretation (success for Verisign ? for domainers ? for registrars ? for end users ?)

But he may know something that we don't.

Another possibility is he's affiliated with Verisign and promoting .web (a bit far-fetched).

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Verisign chooses to "bury" .web one way or another so as not to doubt .com.

•••
People will become more familiar over time as they hear and see the extensions in use. I think span the dot names are particularly effective for online ads where the user will click the link anyway.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back