NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
most dot tel slipped down google rankings

•••
why everything has to be google this and google that I don't see them handing out large checks, feeding my family or taking out the trash. There's other things people can depend on than google. why not start thinking mobile because thats where the real answer is for success from now to the future. never mind its been a rough day. need a beer. :)

•••
I dont worry. Its probably because of the recent update, with all .tels getting the same link. Google is looking into it.

And dont forget. .Tels are not mainly about webcontent. The future in .tel lies in the fact that its a global standard for substituting phone numbers.

Here is a reminder:

Welcome to E-Commerce Times

•••
The future in .tel lies in the fact that its a global standard for substituting phone numbers.
Who really believes that is going to happen ?

A Billion .Tel Identities by 2013

More than 1 billion .tel identities will be in use by 2013 if only one quarter of global cell phone users are included in .tel subdomains by their carriers. That depends on carrier adoption rates and on Telnic rolling out non-English character sets for the top-level domain (the .tel portion) and subsidiary levels, which it plans to begin by the end of 2009.

The prediction of 1 billion .tel identities is based on trends in mobile phone adoption around the world. Parks Associates forecasts that by 2013 there will be 4.5 mobile phone users worldwide. This compares to 3 billion in February 2008, when the International Telecommunication Union announced that the total number of global cell phone subscribers had exceeded half the population of the globe.
Now that's wishful thinking.

Tell me about adoption of .tel by cellular carriers :zzz:
And what about the myspace partnership ?

•••
You say "here is a reminder" as if this is an authoritative piece. The writer is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. How can he claim 1 Billion .tel registrations when .com is tapped at "just" 88 Million?

Try to imagine if .com swelled 11x in size. The domains would be such crap that it wouldn't be much better than just using the IP numbering system. Instead of 123.456.789.123 maybe you have technews4821.com, but that is still pretty bad.

•••
The reminder was that the purpose of the domain is not to be yet another domain name but:

3. Purpose for the new gTLD

The purpose of the "tel" gTLD is to provide a global system for translating telephone numbers into the Internet address information necessary to support all forms in Internet-Telephony applications.

ICANN | ICANN Yokohama Meeting Topic -Introduction of New Top-Level Domains: Expression of Interest #8

As old phoning technology gets replaced by mobile and IP phones, this domain is design to replace phone numbers...

•••
I don't think .Tel is dead or even dying although it maybe the sleeping giant that will sister .mobi into the mobile world. People are asking for mobile site creator in which is no different than .tel

•••
Even the shittiest .mobi can be built into a web site. Can .tel do the same?

As for .tel not being dead, it's the only non-ccTLD that has seen its numbers shrink instead of grow. So no, it's not dead but it reeks of death already.

•••
Assuming .tel is not dead, does not mean it's alive and kicking.
I would say irreversible coma. After all it's a stillborn tld.

•••
•••
humm, I havent .tel domain yet, I can redesign my contact page on my personal website to display all the information as .tel page provides, I dont like to share 2 domains with my friends, it is always easy to have one.
so the people who are having .tel domain, could you plz explain what's the real advantage of having .tel with ur personal site's contact page. :) [ may be I'll go for .tel XD]

•••
I have brazilhotels.tel for sale, contact: [email protected]

Nice name I have BookHotels.tel not had a bid on it after a year and half.

I hate to say it but looks like .tel is becoming a flop, I give it another year till I personally give up tho.

- Jag

•••
humm, I havent .tel domain yet, I can redesign my contact page on my personal website to display all the information as .tel page provides, I dont like to share 2 domains with my friends, it is always easy to have one.
so the people who are having .tel domain, could you plz explain what's the real advantage of having .tel with ur personal site's contact page. :) [ may be I'll go for .tel XD]

The advantage is that its a global standard and every .tel page is very lean and they share the same structure, this is its strength. People know what they get when they go to a .tel, they do not get flash and other heavy content which keeps their surf cost down.

There is also constantly new features added, now .tel supports OpenID and openAuth, this means that you can login to every site supporting OpenID by just using your .tel.

Soon next week, telmasters get their RSSfeed to .tel up and running :)

•••
I'm curious to know how many people spent $300 to buy a .tel during Landrush, and how many of those people still are "investing" in .tel

•••
I'm curious to know how many people spent $300 to buy a .tel during Landrush, and how many of those people still are "investing" in .tel

I've bought 2 at landrush.
1 sold for price over $300
1 still having it for future business

No more reg of .tel

•••

I brought 1 and still have it, no more .tel's for either

I have only 5 .tel's

•••
If people know what they're getting when they visit a .tel why the move to monetize them with ads?

You can have or NOT have flash etc. on any TLD. With .tel you have no options, either as an owner or as a developer.

OpenAuth using your .tel to login? That's as geeky as it gets. This TLD was made by geeks with no concept of what constitutes a useful approach to information.

The advantage is that its a global standard and every .tel page is very lean and they share the same structure, this is its strength. People know what they get when they go to a .tel, they do not get flash and other heavy content which keeps their surf cost down.

There is also constantly new features added, now .tel supports OpenID and openAuth, this means that you can login to every site supporting OpenID by just using your .tel.

Soon next week, telmasters get their RSSfeed to .tel up and running :)

•••
I'm still investing in .tel domains - my latest regs include

Tattoo Artist, Accommodate, Equine, Warehousing, Insurer, Postage

Last edited:
•••
OpenAuth using your .tel to login? That's as geeky as it gets. This TLD was made by geeks with no concept of what constitutes a useful approach to information.

Geeky or not :)
This is a huge one since it also opens up for thirdparty services without having to give away any login details.

Such as twitter to .tel by telmasters

•••
•••
Dot tel have a poor CTH. When will the company update it?

•••
Negative or positive ? :)

Answer = Positive.

As it stands I think most of my .tel domains can sell for profit in a few years without development.

•••
It makes sense since you can't really develop a .tel :)

•••
It makes sense since you can't really develop a .tel :)

On the contrary you most certain can develop a .tel by populating it with useful data - developing a .tel can also include SEO techniques - you can even monetise a .tel or complement your .tel with a sister site.

Your disinformation is really old hat and .tel developers/investors have learned to look into the future and leave the .tel critics behind in the dark where they belong :wave:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back