IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many premium .pros do you own Randy? ;)

There isn't too much hope for gaining domainer fans in the extension if they don't already have any good .pro's. If anything, .pro gaining in popularity hurts their investment in other tld's.

•••
The only buyers are the domainers themselves.

That's not true. Of the 10 .pros I have sold since September 2009, none of the buyers have been pure domainers. By that, I mean people who buy domains only to sell on or park. There is no money in parked .pros, I redirect my 300 .pros to my website Total.pro for that reason. Also, there is no margin in my .pros for a domainer, my average sale price is over $3,000.

The most common buyer type is domainer-developers, people who can and do develop websites, often .pro websites. I am a domainer-developer, I own alot of .pros but I also develop websites as a hobby. My current project is an LLL.com retail site. Other buyer types are corporates buying .pro defensively, for example Booking.com bought Booking.pro; professionals, for example Switch.pro was bought by a Japanese lighting engineer; and people redirecting .pro to developed websites, for example Touch.pro is redirected to TouchWindow.com.

Three interesting features of the .pro market;

1) Professional part time entrepreneurs who like the branding angle and concept of .pro have more money to spend on domain names than the average minisite developer or domainer.

2) Ownership of genuinely premium .pros is concentrated. This restricts the supply of top keywords and so you get fairly high valuations considering how few people have heard of the extension and are eligible to register them when they come up for auction. For example, RealEstate.pro sold for $14,000 at Snapnames in September.

3) The remaining top .pros are owned by people who have invested about $500 in registration fees since 2005 and aren't about to drop them or sell for a small profit now reg fees have fallen 80%. They are professional people who don't need the money. I know how tightly .pros are held because I spent several years trying to buy up every one of them for sale at reseller prices.

All of these factors combine to make .pro not particularly attractive to domainers. Most domainers aren't eligible to register .pro and professionals earn too much money in their day job to be bothered flipping .pros for the equivalent of a couple of hours of their time.

The key buyers of most alternative domain extensions are other domainers, there is often a glut of interest at landrush followed by fewer and fewer sales at lower and lower prices in subsequent years.

.pro burns more slowly, it's taken 5 years for the spark to become a flame and it's still a registry change and the abolitions of residual restrictions away from a fire but the exquisitely beautiful domain names .pro produces like Poker.pro, Game.pro, Golf.pro, Office.pro, and so on, mean it will always have a chance of catching fire.

I'm genuinely grateful that people like yourself and Archangel invest so much of your time for free discussing .pro because it boosts my sales enquiries! :blink:

However, I'm not convinced a forum moderator like Archangel, who is supposed to be neutral, should invest as much time as he does berating .pro. One post should be enough, we get the message, you don't like the extension, move on, haven't you got any moderating to do?

•••
However, I'm not convinced a forum moderator like Archangel, who is supposed to be neutral, should invest as much time as he does berating .pro. One post should be enough, we get the message, you don't like the extension, move on, haven't you got any moderating to do?

I can see you have a vested interest here, but this is the ".pro discussion thread" and it is telling that you don't want anyone who disagrees with your sales pitch to voice their opinion.

•••
One would be foolish to think that edification can be sought in finality with a mere post. I figured you, of all people, would have figured that out on your own.

I made my last post and was going to walk away but nah, I think one more post is in order.

It's admirable that you went to such length to explain things. I do admit that I'm now impressed with .pro albeit only very slightly. That's a lot considering I had none whatsoever before. You own 300. Do I think that's a foolish thing? That would depend on your portfolio and the general nature of .pro's existence ie reg fees. If you have all/mostly category-killers and if the fees aren't too high, then I suppose holding them wouldn't be bad. But I'm still wary of the idea of holding so many of them. One or 2 prime .pro's, perhaps. 300 sounds risky to me. But if you have the money, go for it. I've invested in NNN.cc's and made great profit and I've invested in CCC.nets and lost a sizable amount. I still don't see it as a smart thing to own a lot of .pro but owning a few killer ones wouldn't be a bad idea -- assuming reg fees weren't too steep.

But as always, it's your money one way or the other.

That's not true. Of the 10 .pros I have sold since September 2009, none of the buyers have been pure domainers. By that, I mean people who buy domains only to sell on or park. There is no money in parked .pros, I redirect my 300 .pros to my website Total.pro for that reason. Also, there is no margin in my .pros for a domainer, my average sale price is over $3,000.

The most common buyer type is domainer-developers, people who can and do develop websites, often .pro websites. I am a domainer-developer, I own alot of .pros but I also develop websites as a hobby. My current project is an LLL.com retail site. Other buyer types are corporates buying .pro defensively, for example Booking.com bought Booking.pro; professionals, for example Switch.pro was bought by a Japanese lighting engineer; and people redirecting .pro to developed websites, for example Touch.pro is redirected to TouchWindow.com.

Three interesting features of the .pro market;

1) Professional part time entrepreneurs who like the branding angle and concept of .pro have more money to spend on domain names than the average minisite developer or domainer.

2) Ownership of genuinely premium .pros is concentrated. This restricts the supply of top keywords and so you get fairly high valuations considering how few people have heard of the extension and are eligible to register them when they come up for auction. For example, RealEstate.pro sold for $14,000 at Snapnames in September.

3) The remaining top .pros are owned by people who have invested about $500 in registration fees since 2005 and aren't about to drop them or sell for a small profit now reg fees have fallen 80%. They are professional people who don't need the money. I know how tightly .pros are held because I spent several years trying to buy up every one of them for sale at reseller prices.

All of these factors combine to make .pro not particularly attractive to domainers. Most domainers aren't eligible to register .pro and professionals earn too much money in their day job to be bothered flipping .pros for the equivalent of a couple of hours of their time.

The key buyers of most alternative domain extensions are other domainers, there is often a glut of interest at landrush followed by fewer and fewer sales at lower and lower prices in subsequent years.

.pro burns more slowly, it's taken 5 years for the spark to become a flame and it's still a registry change and the abolitions of residual restrictions away from a fire but the exquisitely beautiful domain names .pro produces like Poker.pro, Game.pro, Golf.pro, Office.pro, and so on, mean it will always have a chance of catching fire.

I'm genuinely grateful that people like yourself and Archangel invest so much of your time for free discussing .pro because it boosts my sales enquiries! :blink:

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Precisely.

I can see you have a vested interest here, but this is the ".pro discussion thread" and it is telling that you don't want anyone who disagrees with your sales pitch to voice their opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I've never owned one in my life. I have no idea where to even register them.

How many premium .pros do you own Randy? ;)

•••
Randy, take care buddy and thanks for the good luck..sold 3 calendars today off the .pro site :) No joke.

Last edited:
•••
Anytime :)

And not bad, truly. I dunno what a .pro is truly worth bu if you can make money with one, then it's most certainly not worthless.

Randy, take care buddy and thanks for the good luck..sold 3 calendars today off the .pro site :) No joke.

•••
Have a good Thanksgiving Randy! And all the rest of y'all too.

8^X

•••
Just saw web 2.0 site workpapers.pro, very good use of dotpro.

•••
I registered my first .pro domain! Thanks to some comments in this thread ;)

I never thought about owning .pro, but decided to try with one. Domain is one word, profession, i would say solid domain and have some possible end-users in mind.

It would be appreciate if someone could also suggest some good place for reselling .pro domain to other domainers, if exists? Something other than Sedo, Afternic etc...something where .pro domains are in majority? ;)

•••
For me,
Code:
dig google.pro
gives normal results.

Did you try it with different second level domains?

What is wrong? Can you explain your findings please?

Bug for A.GTLD.PRO rootserver is fixed!
Look!

http://freedns.afraid.org/domain/dnstrace.php?domain=google.pro&submit=Trace

Tracing to google.pro[a] via a.root-servers.net., maximum of 1 retries
a.root-servers.net. (198.41.0.4)
|\___ a.gtld.pro [pro] (192.149.62.10)
| |\___ ns2.google.com [google.pro] (216.239.34.10) Got authoritative answer
| \___ ns1.google.com [google.pro] (216.239.32.10) Got authoritative answer
|\___ d.gtld.pro [pro] (192.149.66.10)
|\___ c.gtld.pro [pro] (192.149.64.10)
\___ b.gtld.pro [pro] (192.149.63.10)

Domain Queried : google.pro

•••
netime, thank you for bringing this to the attention of the powers that be.

Am not too sure but think this will have a bearing on the seo of .pro domains in general, allowing them to be recognised as gtlds w/o geo implications.

I'm getting really tempted by some of the drops but am holding back till jan for the price drop, should be fun. :)

•••
It would be appreciate if someone could also suggest some good place for reselling .pro domain to other domainers, if exists? Something other than Sedo, Afternic etc...something where .pro domains are in majority? ;)

Hi Mitok. Based on the posts above this one, it sounds like things might be moving in the right direction. I own a handful of Pros and thanks to the negative publicity that we've gotten lately, a lot of prime property is being dropped and the pickings have been easy. That being said, I don't believe that you're going to find a good place to sell them. Maybe someone here can correct me, but Pros are somewhat like the stock market when it's down. A lot of people sell off and run, while others see it as one gigantic sale. I see them as being on sale. But we're going to have to "Buy and Hold" for now.

I'm hoping that one of these guys will give you a better explanation. Lot of Mensa types :rolleyes: drop in here every other day or so.

Best of luck !!!
Charles

8^X

•••
The absolute only ones I've ever seen or heard of in my life were in NP. I've never seen a domain.pro ANYWHERE outside of NP. It's a domainer's extension, full of speculation and hope.

www.diva.pro ....

•••
Hi PRO!

Very interesting post.
My few .pro-

archiver(.)pro
replayer(.)pro
layer(.)pro
bluff(.)pro
dekor(.)pro
rocker(.)pro
linguist(.)pro
pokerist(.)pro
cameraman(.)pro
webkiosk(.)pro
domainbrokers(.)pro ;)

•••
•••
•••
We have many clients with .Pro domains - there is no denying the fact that it will be a good idea to reg .PRO domains.

•••
.pro registrants

I think this is one of those extensions where nobody really talks about until one day a bunch of great sites start poping up. Like most good investments, the minute you hear it around the office is the day its too late to get in.

Good to hear .pro is building some steam.

•••
...and you just told me in NP. I can't understand how ppl can't read my post and understand what the hell I meant by it. *rolls eyes*

I know that you're trying to say that you heard about the Pro website while you were on NP. Well isn't that where you spend most of your time. And what possible difference could it make where you heard about the Pro site. And roughly how much time per day do you spend actively searching for Pro sites. None?

So I'll repeat ... where else in the world would you hear about a Pro site except on NP?

Lame point Randy.

•••
You can try pretty much any keyword search in google, the odds you will stumble on a .pro domains are near zero. That's why people are not familiar with .pro. Of course, there are very few .pro registered compared to other extensions, but they are not exactly shining as far as SEO is concerned.

•••
•••
finance.pro sold dnjournal.com $5,500.

wish they would have reported the sexo.pro sale, but guess it wasn't reported. But great to see .pro on the list.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Akcampbell..Anxious for your take on the august registry report. I must be misreading the domains added portion of the report. 45,787 added? Is that a typo?

•••
•••
ok ok, didn't post that to say there were millions of .pro websites out there ahead of other extensions. Its obvious that .pro is a smaller extension. However, I did want to present that there are a growing number of developed websites out there in case people want to see other examples of .pro websites.

Here are google results to be more honest about where we stand in the big picture.

.me 132,000,000 results
.pro About 9,900,000 results
.cc About 1,030,000,000 results
.com About 25,340,000,000 results
.co About 157,000,000 results

•••
To quote a new acquaintance ...

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

ok ok, didn't post that to say there were millions of .pro websites out there ahead of other extensions. Its obvious that .pro is a smaller extension. However, I did want to present that there are a growing number of developed websites out there in case people want to see other examples of .pro websites.

Here are google results to be more honest about where we stand in the big picture.

.me 132,000,000 results
.pro About 9,900,000 results
.cc About 1,030,000,000 results
.com About 25,340,000,000 results
.co About 157,000,000 results

One thing you're failing to account for is that for a large part of the past 18 months you could acquire Me's and CC's for pennies (and less). You're looking at the result of what happens when you give away a billion domain names to minisite mass producers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back