IT.COM

information The Draw of Hand Registrations....Aye!

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Bob Hawkes informative thread and poll of last week showed that over 40% of us have 80% hand registered domains in our portfolios. I'm part of the group (16.8%) that has 100% hand regs.

As I've said before most domains I buy have a business plan or idea behind them. Just last week I was having a zoom happy hour with some of my friends from my Kiwanis Club (service club), and several of my friends were drinking Single Malt Scotch. The HH call reminded me of another of my friends from Glasgow Scotland who is a scotch aficionado, and since 2016 I've attended a half dozen scotch tastings where Bruce was our host. At each tasting we would taste 5 different single malts distilled all over Scotland. And with Bruce being a Scotsman himself, he'd been to several of these distilleries.

So I get to thinking, maybe Bruce and I could go into business together promoting single malt Scotch, but before I even approach Bruce I need to come up with a domain name for our business, and what I came up with was "Discover Scotch" After emailing Bruce about my idea and inviting him and his wife for a round of golf, they agree to join me. However before we got together I happened to notice that he signed his email; "Aye, Bruce". While I'd never noticed that before, I googled "aye" and sure enough the primary definition for aye is "yes". Thus before we met yesterday for golf, I'd bought for him the domain Scotch Aye! and he absolutely loved it, but couldn't believe I paid just $8.50 to register it for a year. And then when I told him I paid just $8.50 for Discover Scotch he was blown away.

Now some of you might be blown away by this while others just roll your eyes:xf.rolleyes: I checked to see whether "BrandAye" or "SexAye" were available to register and they are:xf.smile: For those of you who are rolling your eyes, I suppose you wouldn't waste a dime on Brand Yes! or Sex Yes!

I guess one of the other reasons I'm attracted to hand regs is I'm a dreamer, a visionary and salesman. And it doesn't hurt that I'm also a risk taker. Does anyone not see the draw/attraction to hand regs? What attracts you to hand regs?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back