Dynadot

The New NamePros, Reported Issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for clarifying Paul,

So at this point I'm not figuring out how to find the threads I've posted in that have new posts, is that now covered by alerts?

Also is viewing new posts first in a thread one of those things still missing?

•••
Not sure if it is my error or not. I posted a new thread and it did not appear within the new posts

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
New Posts only shows new posts that are "new" to you. If you've seen a post, it is no longer considered new. I think you want Recent Posts: https://www.namepros.com/find-new/posts?recent=1

Recent Posts will show you all recent posts, including the ones you've already seen, like your own.

Keep in mind that both of these pages generate a cached page each time you click them. They will not update again until you click "New Posts" or "Recent Posts" again.

Can you guys put the link to Recent Posts in the nav bar? It's the way the previous forum worked (and most others on the internet) and probably the link people click the most. Don't even know where to find that link here. I could bookmark it I guess, but it would be easier to have the link right in the nav bar.

Wanted to add, if I open another browser where I'm not logged in, I see the Recent Posts link, so it can be added to nav bar. Just now, when I wanted to come and edit this post, I have to take extra steps to find the thread.

Last edited:
•••
Update, yeah, I'm missing posts with the current setup. Heynow just posted in the Shawn Hogan thread, that's a new post. That thread/post isn't showing up for me when I click New Posts. In my other browser, where I'm signed out, that post/thread is showing up under Recent Posts.

•••
Wanted to add, if I open another browser where I'm not logged in, I see the Recent Posts link, so it can be added to nav bar. Just now, when I wanted to come and edit this post, I have to take extra steps to find the thread.

May I ask why you want Recent Posts? New Posts is the same thing minus what you've already seen.

The link for Recent Posts is on the same page as New Posts (above "Last Message" on the right).

Update, yeah, I'm missing posts with the current setup. Heynow just posted in the Shawn Hogan thread, that's a new post. That thread/post isn't showing up for me when I click New Posts. In my other browser, where I'm signed out, that post/thread is showing up.

I see it there. Try this link: https://www.namepros.com/find-new/posts

•••
May I ask why you want Recent Posts? New Posts is the same thing minus what you've already seen.

The link for Recent Posts is on the same page as New Posts (above "Last Message" on the right).

I see it there. Try this link: https://www.namepros.com/find-new/posts

Not for me or if you post in the thread yourself, it doesn't show. People are missing posts with the current setup. If you put it like you had it with the previous forum, put up the Recent Posts link, problem solved.

Tried it again, Heynow's recent post in the Shawn Hogan thread, where I posted in, is not showing up for me when I click New Posts. It does under Recent Posts.

•••
I wonder if it just me but forum seems slower than before.

Please add sub-forums back as list under parent forum. Not as drop-down.
And is there any option to remove sticky header?

•••
newposts.gif
recentposts.gif

•••
There are the screenshots of what I'm talking about. You see under Recent Posts, Heynow's post in the Shawn Hogan thread. That's a new Post, but it doesn't show under New Posts, the first screenshot.

•••
There are the screenshots of what I'm talking about. You see under Recent Posts, Heynow's post in the Shawn Hogan thread. That's a new Post, but it doesn't show under New Posts, the first screenshot.

You have to click the link "New Posts" each time you want to see New Posts. It will not load additional new posts if you refresh the page.

Keep in mind that both of these pages generate a cached page each time you click them. They will not update again until you click "New Posts" or "Recent Posts" again.

It does this so that you can click Page 2, Page 3, etc. without any issues. If it did not do this, you could end up seeing everything from Page 1 on Page 2 by the time you clicked Page 2, due to a lot of new posts filling up the previous Page 1.

•••
You have to click the link "New Posts" each time you want to see New Posts. It will not load additional new posts if you refresh the page.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I do. IT'S NOT SHOWING UP. I just literally posted screenshots. Hitting the New Posts link.

If you reply to this post, I can hit New Posts, and it won't show up. It seems it happens if you post in the thread or something. But again, won't show up for me. Now, if I hit Recent Posts, it will.

So right now, New Posts aren't showing all new posts.

Last edited:
•••
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I do. IT'S NOT SHOWING UP. I just literally posted screenshots. Hitting the New Posts link.
Okay. Please post your latest link for "New Posts" so I can investigate. Thanks.

•••
Ok, now I saw your post, then hit New Posts again and it's gone. So now, let's say there are multiple New Posts. You hit New Posts and read one. Now the other ones disappear.

Just put it like you had it before the Upgrade, Recent Posts and it's fixed. Simple, problem solved.

•••
Love the new site! In the old site I was able to set a preference that showed me threads in reverse date order (newest was at the top automatically). Now I have to click on "go to first unread" as it defaults to showing me page one of X. Did I miss this setting somewhere or is it no more?

•••
If you reply to this post, I can hit New Posts, and it won't show up. It seems it happens if you post in the thread or something. But again, won't show up for me.

I just tested this scenario. When you replied to this thread, it showed up under New Posts.

Ok, now I saw your post, then hit New Posts again and it's gone. So now, let's say there are multiple New Posts. You hit New Posts and read one. Now the other ones disappear.

Only the ones you read will disappear. Any that you haven't read will still show after you click "New Posts" again.

•••
Forget it. I wasted time taking screenshots apparently.

I'll just have to bookmark Recent Posts to get all the posts, to have the forum act like it did before the upgrade.

That doesn't even work when logged in. I guess I have to be logged out and then click Recent Posts, to get everything. Sometimes you read or write in a post, you want to go back to it. Making it disappear is useless. Is there 1 link, where I can see EVERYTHING in order? The way you had it before the upgrade? To get back to this post, I went to Alerts or I would have to scroll down and find the forum, then thread again.

Ok, looks like you're using the same forum software as DNF. They have a You Can See Everything link, so here it is for Namepros:

https://www.namepros.com/find-new/posts?recent=1

Just tested that link out, it works. Just put up an auction, wanted to go back to it but of course it disappears with the current links. Still there with that link.

Would be great if you put that in the nav bar, so posts don't disappear after I read them.

Last edited:
•••
One more thing I would like to report is, Friends/Contacts sounds way better than Followers.
I was almost going to Like this, then it dawned on me how much I hate "Friends".

Similarly, I personally despise the change to "Conversations" from simply messages. Worse, I seem unable to simply send a PM now, or at least confirm that one has been sent. More often I'm sending myself messages, or otherwise engaging in Conversations with myself, which is not to say that I don't have a history of doing such things. Bottom line though, messages interface currently sucks IMO.

•••
I just fixed another bug with trade reviews. There was some missing data due to overlapping trade review IDs--I don't know why the old software didn't use unique IDs, and I'm sure I don't want to know. A small but notable percentage of reviews had been missing previously; they've been restored.

•••
Signature files.
First, no images allowed anymore?>
Second and most important....
I want to change my signature, but when I hit Save Changes, I get this"
Please correct the following errors:
  • Your signature is 1 line(s) too long.
  • Your signature may only have 1 link(s).
And nothing changes so far, so my sig file is still there as it was before these changes.

•••
I wonder if it just me but forum seems slower than before.

Please add sub-forums back as list under parent forum. Not as drop-down.
And is there any option to remove sticky header?

The site is actually significantly faster than before. However, it does make use of newer web technology, so if you're on a really old browser or device, it might be bit overwhelmed.

The subforum dropdown thingies are annoying. We're working on flattening the forum tree to get rid of those, but it takes some thought to do so while keeping navigation logical.

I'm using a 1920x1080 screen resolution at the moment, which is pretty standard today. Even with my browser zoomed to 125% by default, the fixed navigation bar at the top is barely noticeable. However, I can see how it probably consumes too much screen real estate on low resolutions or when a lot of toolbars are present. We'll be adding more ways to customize the theme in the future, so we'll take note of this suggestion.

Love the new site! In the old site I was able to set a preference that showed me threads in reverse date order (newest was at the top automatically). Now I have to click on "go to first unread" as it defaults to showing me page one of X. Did I miss this setting somewhere or is it no more?

I believe there were a few other formats that you could choose from, too; some of them were pretty nifty. I don't recall seeing such an option in the new software; I don't think it was very popular, so it was probably omitted.

Forget it. I wasted time taking screenshots apparently.

I'll just have to bookmark Recent Posts to get all the posts, to have the forum act like it did before the upgrade.

That doesn't even work when logged in. I guess I have to be logged out and then click Recent Posts, to get everything. Sometimes you read or write in a post, you want to go back to it. Making it disappear is useless. Is there 1 link, where I can see EVERYTHING in order? The way you had it before the upgrade? To get back to this post, I went to Alerts or I would have to scroll down and find the forum, then thread again.

Ok, looks like you're using the same forum software as DNF. They have a You Can See Everything link, so here it is for Namepros:

https://www.namepros.com/find-new/posts?recent=1

Just tested that link out, it works. Just put up an auction, wanted to go back to it but of course it disappears with the current links. Still there with that link.

Would be great if you put that in the nav bar, so posts don't disappear after I read them.

Searches on our old site weren't refreshable either, but the new posts button was an exception. Our old site also had both styles: one where only unread posts were visible, and one where everything was visible--it's just that the link to the latter was more obvious.

We're looking into renaming New Posts to Unread Posts and adding a Recent Posts link.

I was almost going to Like this, then it dawned on me how much I hate "Friends".

Similarly, I personally despise the change to "Conversations" from simply messages. Worse, I seem unable to simply send a PM now, or at least confirm that one has been sent. More often I'm sending myself messages, or otherwise engaging in Conversations with myself, which is not to say that I don't have a history of doing such things. Bottom line though, messages interface currently sucks IMO.

Sending a simple PM is still the same; the only thing that's changed is the name. What's different is that sent and received messages now appear in the same place--like a forum. That's probably why it looks like you're sending messages to yourself: you see sent messages in the same place that you see received messages. The idea is that you'll get a sort of thread going, where sent vs. received doesn't really matter.

•••
Signature files.
First, no images allowed anymore?>
Second and most important....
I want to change my signature, but when I hit Save Changes, I get this"
Please correct the following errors:
  • Your signature is 1 line(s) too long.
  • Your signature may only have 1 link(s).
And nothing changes so far, so my sig file is still there as it was before these changes.
1. Images in signatures were never allowed at NamePros and still aren't.
2. We had an error on the old system where unlimited links were allowed for regular members, but Supporters were given 4 links. VIPs now have 3 links and 2 lines.
3. (Updated rules) New Signature rules for Free accounts is 1 line and 2 links. (VIP = 3 links and 2 lines / Supporter = 4 links and 3 lines / Biz member = unlimited Links / 4 Lines) - https://www.namepros.com/account/upgrades

•••
Now the signature works.
Thank you much.

•••
Speaking of Business Members: Where is the business directory? The Directory tab leads to a directory with a couple of categories and 0 entries.

*(sorry if anyone posted this earlier - this is a pretty long thread, might have missed it.)

•••
If there is an alert of a new post (reply), that thread should render when "new posts" is clicked. As it stands, these replies and threads aren't available unless accessed through my control panel.

•••
If there is an alert of a new post (reply), that thread should render when "new posts" is clicked. As it stands, these replies and threads aren't available unless accessed through my control panel.
Your alerts are synced with threads you are subscribed to here: https://www.namepros.com/watched/threads .. They should also be in new posts till you view them & then disappear. So if you check alerts & visit thread, it probably wont be in new posts anymore. I'll look more at that here in a bit to be sure.

Speaking of Business Members: Where is the business directory? The Directory tab leads to a directory with a couple of categories and 0 entries.

*(sorry if anyone posted this earlier - this is a pretty long thread, might have missed it.)
The new Business directory is a blank slate for now. All business members can have 1 listing as long as they are a biz member. Their listing will purge once they lose Biz status. Many of the entries in the old directory were from members that were no longer in the business group. I'll add more categories within the next few days. Feel free to pm me any industry related categories you would like to see in the directory. ;)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back