NameSilo

Scammer wants to sell me back my domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
EDIT: I have gotten back my stolen domain, CZV(.)net.

I promised the guy I got it from (apparently not the thief) that I would keep our latest correspondence private. I did reimburse him for the amount he said he paid for it (well below its value). It's now locked up safe and sound in my GoDaddy account.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and support after I lost it! :great:

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Anybody wanna buy a slightly used LLL.net? :)

Hi folks,

As many of you know, I had an LLL.net domain stolen by a scammer recently (details are in this thread). Both GoDaddy (where the push occurred) and PayPal (which deposited the payment into my account, then removed it because it was unauthorized) have been no help at all.

Yesterday, I noticed that the whois info had changed. So I sent the "new owner" an email, warning him that the domain had been stolen and that I was pursuing legal options to get it back. This is how the next few emails went:

HIM: Hi,
Yes I bought this name and I can't refund what i paid for
the name. So what's your advice?

ME: I'm not sure what advice to give you - this is the
first time a domain has been stolen from me.

I'm in touch with a lawyer who specializes in domains,
and will let you know what I find out. In the
meantime, please keep your ownership of the domain.

HIM: I can return name for $50

That must be the scammer.

What do you think about this? Should I get law enforcement involved, in the region shown in his whois listing (it's in the U.S.)? Should I tell him I'll buy it back if we use an escrow service? (I doubt he'll agree to that.) Other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thread closed with OP permission.

Cy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back