IT.COM

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Indeed. About 15% of my afternic portfolio became "pending review". The domains in question were previously successfully added, "reviewed" where the system elected to, and had fast transfer enabled.
In other words, Afternic elected to stop distribution of these domains, sending them to "review".
???
Cc @Joe Styler

•••
I wrote to AN asking why, and they said because it is transfer locked.
Specifically, they wrote: "According to the WHOIS, your domain is currently locked against transfer by your registrar, Dynadot. We cannot determine whether this is a 60 day lock or a manual setting."

Well, ALL of my domains at DD are transfer locked, this shouldn't matter, because there is an override setting that allows the AN Fast Transfer

Sometimes I think that Afternic should hire domainers - customers to process support requests. This case clearly shows that the Afternic support representative does not have a basic understanding of how their system works, and the customer has to educate them. Alice in Wonderland...

•••
•••
I have a certain domain listed for sale at Afternic that it seems to fit all the criteria for Fast Transfer, but the request won't come at the DynaDot side.

Specifically, they wrote: "According to the WHOIS, your domain is currently locked against transfer by your registrar, Dynadot. We cannot determine whether this is a 60 day lock or a manual setting."

Well, ALL of my domains at DD are transfer locked, this shouldn't matter, because there is an override setting that allows the AN Fast Transfer (on the DD side this setting is marked under Quick Info as "Quick info afternic").

In other words, on the DD side even though all of my domains are transfer locked, still the eligible ones, are additionally marked for AN Fast Transfer.

So why is this one particular domain not being accepted for Fast Transfer? It fits all of the below:

• .com, .net, .biz, .org, .pw and .info TLDs only
• Listed domains must have a Buy Now price
• Buy Now price must be below $50,000
• Registered for 60 days or longer with the current registrar and must not be subject to a 60 day registry lock (usually due to recent WHOIS update)
• Registration must not be within 30 days of expiration
• Registered with a Premium Promotion Partner

@Joe Styler I could PM or email you the domain name so that you could confidentially take a look. Thanks!
sure send me the domain.

•••
Big issue that lose money for afternic and users,

when a domain is already listed, YOU SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION TO CLAIM THE DOMAIN automatically,
and not going on a time wasting process of contacting the support
for people who manage portfolio of 500 to a few thousands domains, that is a big waste

i never bothered to contact the support, for a simple reason,
i usually add domain by bunches at each acquisition,
and don't have the time to spend chit chat with the support,
and i have probably 50 domains listed on afternic under the previous owner name

•••
I have a certain domain listed for sale at Afternic that it seems to fit all the criteria for Fast Transfer, but the request won't come at the DynaDot side.

Well, ALL of my domains at DD are transfer locked, this shouldn't matter, because there is an override setting that allows the AN Fast Transfer (on the DD side this setting is marked under Quick Info as "Quick info afternic").

In other words, on the DD side even though all of my domains are transfer locked, still the eligible ones, are additionally marked for AN Fast Transfer.

So why is this one particular domain not being accepted for Fast Transfer? It fits all of the below:

• .com, .net, .biz, .org, .pw and .info TLDs only
• Listed domains must have a Buy Now price
• Buy Now price must be below $50,000
• Registered for 60 days or longer with the current registrar and must not be subject to a 60 day registry lock (usually due to recent WHOIS update)
• Registration must not be within 30 days of expiration
• Registered with a Premium Promotion Partner

@Joe Styler I could PM or email you the domain name so that you could confidentially take a look. Thanks!

Few messages exchanged with Joe, couple submissions at AN for support, and an email to an AN manager, and now this and another domain are corrected and this issue is resolved! (until next time :) )

•••
We just looked through the support team's emails and our systems and spoke with the developers. We dont see any issues with people's names not acting as they should in general. If you have specific examples you can email [email protected] so they can look into it. With what we have so far we cannot find any issues.

•••
Actually, I just found four more that have BIN / Floor set, appear to be fully eligible, and for whatever reason are not appearing as Fast Transfer eligible at the Dynadot end. I did send in requests on these to support via the submission form. I will PM these to you right now too. Thanks!

Over all, it's just a time consuming task to have to sift through these regularly, both for us, and for you...to figure out which ones automatically went through, and which we must mention to get action on.

It's not your fault. This sort of automation SNAFU happens all the time, for example with eBay sales...when we enter tracking numbers for shipments on the eBay side, they are supposed to transfer over and post automatically on the PayPal side if we have a linked PayPal account, but doesn't always happen. It is some kind of tech glitch.

Last edited:
•••
We just looked through the support team's emails and our systems and spoke with the developers. We dont see any issues with people's names not acting as they should in general. If you have specific examples you can email [email protected] so they can look into it. With what we have so far we cannot find any issues.

Joe, How about domains that unexpectedly became PENDING REVIEW even though they were all set before? Do you suggest to send a list of 400+ domains (my case) to service@ ? What for? And how am I supposed to generate such a list within afternic interface, to begin with?

As you can see, this issue is reported by various members

•••
tonyk they obviously don't like you. I don't like you, either!

Ha...Just kidding. Couldn't resist a little mid week humor.

•••
Joe, How about domains that unexpectedly became PENDING REVIEW even though they were all set before? Do you suggest to send a list of 400+ domains (my case) to service@ ? What for? And how am I supposed to generate such a list within afternic interface, to begin with?

As you can see, this issue is reported by various members
In your case you can just contact your account rep with a couple names and they will straighten it out for you, but we would need some examples because they do not see anything acting up systematically. Anyone can email [email protected] with their domains and they can look into it for you. They are pretty quick to respond.

•••
In your case you can just contact your account rep

I wish I had one :(

This is what I see:

My Afternic Contacts

Sales
781-839-7902 (Worldwide)
[email protected]
Service
866-351-9586 (Toll Free in the U.S.)
or +1 781-839-7990 (Worldwide)
[email protected]

(quote end)

The problem of domains switched to pendingreview is not my account - specific

Last edited:
•••

Hello Joe. When we have sent clear defect reports in the past (2015,2016, 2017), Afternic ignores them (we've never had a defect fixed by Afternic). Has the attitude changed in the office in the last week or so? A common one is Afternic putting domains back into "in review" - Can you at least send us an email when Afternic do this?

•••
In your case you can just contact your account rep with a couple names and they will straighten it out for you, but we would need some examples because they do not see anything acting up systematically. Anyone can email [email protected] with their domains and they can look into it for you. They are pretty quick to respond.

Response times are usually 7-28 days. First response usually the staff never understand the fault. 2nd response they suggest they have fixed it. (issue not resolved) 3rd response.. it goes on and on like this sometimes for months.

•••
Response times are usually 7-28 days. First response usually the staff never understand the fault. 2nd response they suggest they have fixed it. (issue not resolved) 3rd response.. it goes on and on like this sometimes for months.
My experience exactly.
Hello Joe. When we have sent clear defect reports in the past (2015,2016, 2017), Afternic ignores them (we've never had a defect fixed by Afternic). Has the attitude changed in the office in the last week or so? A common one is Afternic putting domains back into "in review" - Can you at least send us an email when Afternic do this?
Same here. Never had a platform bug at Afternic fixed as a result of contacting their support. Not once. All issues remain and new ones appear all the time on top of that.

Also, among the more than a dozen serious platform issues with Afternic that I have posted in this thread over the past one and a half year, none of them have been fixed yet. How is that possible? It reflects poorly on GoDaddy and indicates that they have almost zero commitment when it comes to fixing up/maintaining Afternic. It seems like Afternic's premium transfer network now has merely become a vehicle for them to move their NameFind portfolio (GoDaddy's portfolio of hundreds of thousands of names), and the private seller part of the platform has become unimportant for them, hence why it is let to falter disrepair. It's unbelievable how poor the user experience have become for private sellers who use their platform.

And the only issues that have received any kind of attention over the past one and a half year are issues with the newly launched Afternic Transaction Assurance system. After a disastrous launch period and an extended period of problems with this system, they finally did address the most serious problems with Transaction Assurance (such as payments not being sent out, the transfer system not working, and email notifications not being sent out). This is great, and I am glad the worst of the issues with TA were fixed. I only wish they would extend such attention to their entire platform. Moreover, there are still a lot of smaller problems with Transaction Assurance that have not yet been addressed, even though the system launched last spring (and is still far inferior to the system they had in place prior).

Lastly, when it comes to fixing all the numerous issues related to logging in, security issues, the broken dashboard, listings not working, inexplicable error pages, pages breaking, browser compatibility issues, buttons not working, etc. They have not fixed any of these problems. Very disappointed by the lacking response by Afternic to all the error reports made in this thread over the past one and a half year.

•••
Service Unavailable - Zero size object
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
Reference #15.9fb31bb8.1509024505.9b2e061

Service Unavailable - Zero size object
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
Reference #15.9fb31bb8.1509024505.9b2e1de

Got this on the right side of dashboard this morning. I wanted to see how many were pending review.
Only 4 Maybe its my lucky day!

Thanks for all the info people are posting, helps keep us aware.

To bad godaddy couldnt take the money they spent on Ham's portfolio and used that to fix afternic

and that default number of domains is 10 lol. Give us a 500 or 5000 setting

•••
I am happy to help out on the forum and glad for the feedback from everyone here it helps us improve. I do take issue with the fact that there are some recent comments saying we don't listen or don't do anything in response. We have a really engaged team here from the brokers who close the deals on leads to the support and development teams who try and improve things continually.

I took over an hour to read through the first 12 pages of this thread and make notes as to the issues I saw brought up. I will put them below in bullet points and give resolutions where we have made them. Not counting the various bugs brought up in the thread - most of which are resolved per the thread by our team when brought up, I counted 12 issues below in bold with the response of what we have done so far.

Afternic names opting in and out on their own.

o We are working with 100’s of registrars. It is not always us opting them in and out. For the transfer process to work smoothly we need the Registrar where your names are registered to say your domains are ok to transfer. All in all while we continue to make improvements on the opt in process and have released changes this year on the back end there are a lot of moving parts and that is not always us. We work with over 100 various companies who change their statuses and technology as you would expect. I don't say this to excuse it, for your experience it should just work and you shouldn’t have to know about all the procedures and we are continuing to work towards that. We have not ignored it and have made back end improvements on our processes, technology, and working with other companies to improve the experience and will continue to do so. It has gotten better than it was when this thread was started 7 months ago and we are continuing to improve it.

Names stay in Review forever until you contact someone.

o We have implemented back end changes to help reduce this and have seen a big reduction in complaints regarding this issue. We also hired two people to help with this for bulk sellers. We have plans to continue improve this from a technology side. There is a big project being worked on currently and part of its work addresses this. Until then we decided to hire two additional people to help with sellers who have more than a few hundred domains. We also have the ability to check on the domains in the bulk management tools we offer via spreadsheets from inside the account. We also have made improvements in the normal support channels and anyone needing help with names can contact [email protected] for additional help. We track each email that comes in to make sure service is quick and accurate. It certainly does still happen but less than it used to from some of the improvements we rolled out and there are others yet to come on the roadmap here.

Give more payment options to sellers like payoneer, skrill etc

o We opened PayPal payments up to International sellers as a result of this feedback and are looking at expanding other options. We are a big company with contracts in place with various vendors and cannot change payment options in a matter of months but we are actively speaking with many parties and will hold another review for additional payment providers early next year and did do a project to enable PayPal as an additional option as a result of the feedback here.

Emailing support with the contact page requires a captcha and after submitting it says we are looking forward to hearing from you. You don’t know if the email was sent or not, it doesn’t say it was. https://www.afternic.com/contact-afternic

o This is still like this. However, you can email Afternic support directly via [email protected]. You will be able to easily track it from your own email.

Afternic website is not secure or secure when signing in.

o We have updated the afternic.com site to be more secure over the past 7 months. We do not pass your information such as passwords via any unsecured or unencrypted channel or method. There are I think two images that are still linked to an http page which throw a browser error saying that the site may not be secure and if you continue the images will not load. They are on a list of things being worked on but while not ideal this does not impact the security of your personal information in any way.

Can you enable symbols (!@#$%^&*- etc.) to be used in passwords – not secure and no 2fa

o Right now we do not offer 2fa but we are looking into adding special characters in the future.

Occasionally, some of my domains are inexplicably removed from my account, and there is no way for me to know that they have been removed.

o We will have support start contacting you when names are removed under certain circumstances where we manually remove them, such as notice that a name you own was sold elsewhere and has a new owner, removed because of a trademark etc.

Afternic is unfortunately troubled by a lot of bugs and problems, which makes it really crucial to counterbalance that with quick, responsive and helpful customer support. Many support tickets are unanswered or go a week or more before being replied to.

o We track ever ticket that comes in to us via email. 97% are answered in the first 24 hours that are sent to [email protected].

Communicaton on sales process/steps/ status are poor and often not updated or informed on statuses and developments.

o We built a new dashboard for the buyer and seller that show the current status of the domains, what steps need to be taken and when you will get paid.

Various Parking complaints

o We revamped our parking platform and modernized the templates to be better performing including on ad block software etc. This was a major undertaking on the backend as well as integrating new technology that our upstream ad provider needed us to add to continue to serve ads. This was all completed in the past year.

Why does the interface limit you to 10 items per page, then 50 if you select show 50, which it promptly forgets as you navigate around? Just let users set it to 200 or 500 or whatever and retain the settings.

o This is being addressed but not until next year. It is being worked into another project already underway.

Various payment/communication issues around new Transaction Assurance process.

o We formed a special task force for this and met continually with leadership, development, product, support, and customers until we resolved all the main issues that we were made aware of. These were all resolved in the thread through a concerted effort by our sales, support, and development teams and taken very seriously.

During this time we also added 6 new fast transfer partners to our network.

o This is part of our commitment to help expand the exposure of your domains to put them in front of end users and generate even more sales.

Bottom line we are continually working on improvements and have done a lot of development work over the past 7 months in response to issues brought up on this thread. We understand we have more to do and will continue to work towards evolving our site and systems to better help you sell your domains so at the end of the day you make more money.

•••
Joe, it is very good that you have take the time to reply, also that you are writing publicly. Thank you.

Could Afternic notify us with an email list each day of any that have dropped into "in review" and "hidden"?

Likewise, for the ones that drop out of Smartnames, or that are mismatched with the Afternic account associated?

It would be nice if no fixing, workarounds, manual intevention by experts like Cameron were necessary...

Latest problem was on 20 Oct from "SmartName Support Team" when trying to reset password. They don't have access to the Afternic system, so don't realise the accounts are linked, so the support messages don't make sense, they just say no account found.

Re security, why not just refresh http://www.afternic.com/ to https://www.afternic.com/ ?

Re new TA process, not seen any improvements up to Oct 2017, but will keep fingers crossed. Aug, Sept, Oct 2017 was particularly bad.

Thank you again for replying. Afternic is still our favourite, and the brokers are good :-D

Have a good weekend!

•••
Joe, thank you so much for replying.

I am happy to help out on the forum

we also added new fast transfer partners to our network.

Those are two main reasons why I use afternic :)

Some things that were discussed in this and related threads are not individually addressed (yet?) -

Such as, for example, lack of professionalism repeatly shown by service@ team, or various issues caused by an existence of "superusers", or frequent experiments at Godaddy homepage where Afternic domains may appear or disappear in search results without any logical reason if an "exact match" search is performed for somedomain with extension.

Saying nothing about keyword-based search results @ GD homepage that tend to favour anything like new gtlds or (in some cases) large aftermarket premium .com domain suppliers who may or may not be afternic customers, but their domains are shown as "premium" available ones even they have nothing or little to do with the term searched, while domains of normal afternic customers are shown much less frequently (tested this myself, searched for something like "pure water" -madeup example - expecting to see an offer of my exact dotcom for this phrase which I have with afternic, but got only less relevant premium domain suggestions and all 100% were owned by buydomains (or maybe hugedomains). I was logged out from both Afternic and GD, had cookies cleaned - it was still the same.

I assume that GD as a company may be of opinion that some issues should not be deeply discussed on public forums. If so, at least I hope that they are well read and understood by "decision makers" at GD / Afternic.

As for front end development, sorry to say this - there are SO MANY things that need to be fixed that it would be really faster to develop completely new front end. The same also applies to domain parking part.

Thanks again for replying...

Last edited:
•••
I sold a domain about a week ago on afternic with fast transfer and payment still has not even been scheduled. Why am i still waiting when the buyer has the domain

•••
I sold a domain about a week ago on afternic with fast transfer and payment still has not even been scheduled. Why am i still waiting when the buyer has the domain
Have you emailed [email protected]? They will be able to look into your specific domain.

•••
Nearly my entire portfolio has gone into "in review". Again.

In review = no Afternic sales:(
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.54.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.55.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.54.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.53.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.53.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.53.33 PM.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 62
•••
:xf.eek:^

Resend the activation email.

Please enter the account name selected during registration, and we will get the activation sent out again. Be sure to add [email protected] to your contacts list so the email isn't sent to your spam filter.

* Please verify your account first. You can use the form to resend the verification email

Seriously, after all these years :wacky:
Only 5 names in review today, wait was 4 the other day.

On a brighter note, for names pending I simply adjust the price, save changes and it said listed.
One hour later it was showing in afternic results. That name was showing in godaddy search the whole time, but not at afternic.
Another that was pending, I upped the price 100.00 save changes, now it is appearing at afternic but not at godaddy.

i was told any updates to afternic listings will be updated at partner sites midnight eastern time in bulk.

I have 1 domain that is always pending review, considered an adult name i guess, it displays as hidden in control panel

•••
Same here, about 60% of my afternic portfolio became pendingreview. @Joe Styler : are we with this problem again? Can you explain please why afternic periodically elects to stop domain distribution of some domains for undetermined periods of time? Last time the problem occured, the domains were returned to distribution with or without manual intervention from afternic, in a day or so, and after this happened I received just the following response from service@: "Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. At this time, there are no domains pending review in your account. Please let us know if you have any additional questions."
The only additional question is I have is: WHY?

Last edited:
•••
@Joe-styler

Could you reply please?

We had more support problems with Afternic, just to reset Smartname password, 10 times Afternic support said we didn't have an account, it was my fault, from all your top team (inc Elizabeth). Until finally one person at Afternic fixed it (Kenneth - you're a star!)

Also today, same fault, hundreds of domains "in review" ... Can Afternic at least notify us by email each day of domains in review?

Joe, it is very good that you have take the time to reply, also that you are writing publicly. Thank you.

Could Afternic notify us with an email list each day of any that have dropped into "in review" and "hidden"?

Likewise, for the ones that drop out of Smartnames, or that are mismatched with the Afternic account associated?

It would be nice if no fixing, workarounds, manual intevention by experts like Cameron were necessary...

Latest problem was on 20 Oct from "SmartName Support Team" when trying to reset password. They don't have access to the Afternic system, so don't realise the accounts are linked, so the support messages don't make sense, they just say no account found.

Re security, why not just refresh http://www.afternic.com/ to https://www.afternic.com/ ?

Re new TA process, not seen any improvements up to Oct 2017, but will keep fingers crossed. Aug, Sept, Oct 2017 was particularly bad.

Thank you again for replying. Afternic is still our favourite, and the brokers are good :-D

Have a good weekend!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back