Dynadot

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you using a lot of privacy settings that wouldn't allow cookies?
It depends, but for testing I'm trying everything. And I can confirm what @Nat Hunt said - afternic instant transfer domains are not currently shown on GoDaddy at the time of this writing - 15:13 Wed. Godaddy-AZ time.

It also appears that local premium listings are not affected, so if anybody has GD-regged domains with both premium listing enabled and afternic enabled, then they are shown, but as premium listings (which is expected behaviour).

Last edited:
•••
This issue I just reported is beyond what I reported yesterday.

Also, today I checked my names' GoDaddy availability with Firefox, which I don't have any ad-blocking or anything else in and yet they're all showing as "taken", which is why I'm wondering if GD is in the midst of changing their Afternic connection system or something.
It depends, but for testing I'm trying everything. And I can confirm what @Nat Hunt said - afternic instant transfer domains are not currently shown on GoDaddy at the time of this writing - 15:13 Wed. Godaddy-AZ time.

It also appears that local premium listings are not affected, so if anybody has GD-regged domains with both premium listing enabled and afternic enabled, then they are shown, but as premium listings (which is expected behaviour).

Same here, i have names listed in hundreds at afternic, after reading above comments i happen to check it for myself and can see none of my domains (in hundreds) listed in fast transfer at afternic show for sale via godaddy search and search simply says that domain is taken. Terrible.

•••
But I will be out off and on the next two weeks so if you have any other issues please contact [email protected] for help as they will be able to get to it quicker than I am.

OK done. I will let you guys know when I hear back from them.

serv aft.png

•••
OK it looks like everything is back to normal now. My names are showing up in the GoDaddy search bar.

However @Joe Styler I was able to reproduce the same occasional error I mentioned yesterday in Firefox, where I am not using any adblocker, or any other extension or privacy settings that could be influencing this.

I would say maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7 searches are giving a false "this name is taken" message in GoDaddy.

•••
Mine are still showing taken, looks like i have to also send an email to make it visible.

•••
OK done. I will let you guys know when I hear back from them.

Show attachment 65358

I just heard back from Afternic about this (44 hours later):

Afternic's response: "The domains I checked were showing on GoDaddy. Can you provide examples of domains you are not seeing there?"

I responded that it came back to normal eventually, so I couldn't currently give any examples.

•••
Sorry I am/was on vacation the last few days. It was resolved several says ago. They found an issue with the feed which they corrected. Thanks for bringing it up here so I could have the developers look into it.

•••
@Joe Styler
Do you use escrow.com for sales above $5000 like at Godaddy marketplace

•••
Afternic processes most orders internally except in rare cases where escrow.com is used.

•••
Afternic processes most orders internally except in rare cases where escrow.com is used.
My Afternic parking has been suspended for telling Afternic to rectify the 403 errors on my domain name.

•••
My Afternic parking has been suspended for telling Afternic to rectify the 403 errors on my domain name.
I am sorry to hear this. They don't suspend you for having 403 errors or needing support. That is only done if there is suspicious behavior on the domains. In many cases the upstream ad provider dictates this behavior and it is unfortunately irrevocable. If this is the case the domains themselves will have been suspended by the provider and any parking company using them would also have the names banned.

•••
I am sorry to hear this. They don't suspend you for having 403 errors or needing support. That is only done if there is suspicious behavior on the domains. In many cases the upstream ad provider dictates this behavior and it is unfortunately irrevocable. If this is the case the domains themselves will have been suspended by the provider and any parking company using them would also have the names banned.
please check PM for details. I sent full details of it a day ago.

•••
•••
I just checked more than a hundred of my Afternic listed domains, and it appears that none of my domains are syndicated through the registrar network at the moment... Not a single one. They show up as being active and opted in to fast transfer at afternic, but still show as "taken" at GoDaddy. This keep happening over and over again. I wonder how many days of "down-time" there is for Afternic listings each month?

Whenever there is a slow sales period, I often check whether my Afternic listings are working, and sure enough, on many days where Ive not had any sales, my afternic listings are often not working (no sales come in when the network listings are not working, so the listings not working explains the lack of afternic sales).

As illustrated by Nat earlier in this thread, it's difficult to report this issue to support. You send them a note, and when they respond 3-5 days later, the listings are usually working again. They then respond "looks like your listings are working fine" or something along those lines, and nothing is done about the deeper issue that is causing this recurring pattern.

Even though the problem solves itself, recurrent periods where names do not show up as available at partner registrars add up to a lot of missed end user eye balls and lost sales over time.

I hope that Afternic listings will one day work close to 100% of the time. I've been checking my listings more and more frequently recently, and I'm surprised at how often they are not working. Most of the time they work, but there is a significant amount of time they dont work as well. Nobody seems to know how much of the time afternic listings are working at partner registrars, I assume the afternic system is not capable of tracking listing uptime, but it seems to be far from 100% of the time. Maybe something like 80-85% of the time?

Anyone else regularly checking whether your Afternic listings are showing up at partner registrars? What is your experience with regards to this issue?

•••
Have you let your account rep know so he can look into what happened?

•••
Is anyone else having trouble accessing Afternic.com right now? For me, it's just loading and loading and loading, and I can't get into my account and make changes.

•••
Is anyone else having trouble accessing Afternic.com right now? For me, it's just loading and loading and loading, and I can't get into my account and make changes.

I'm having the same issue right now, were you able to fix it?

•••
•••
We did find something we thought could be impacting a small % of people and released a fix today so hopefully that resolves the issue.

•••
Anyone else unable to connect to Afternic.com?

I've tried different browsers and different devices, connection keeps timing out while trying to load.

•••

I've tried different browsers and different devices, connection keeps timing out while trying to load.

Works here, tested for you.

•••

email [email protected] with your IP address. They can make sure there are not any problems with it.

•••
One annoying factor for me... I have several hundred names listed in Afternic. The 50 listings (max) at a time per page is severely annoying. Can this be upped? I'd love to see 200, or 500, or more as an option.

Come on @Joe Styler. Get this done for us. We have been requesting this for a long time. This should literally take a programmer less than 10 minutes to update.

•••
Come on @Joe Styler. Get this done for us. We have been requesting this for a long time. This should literally take a programmer less than 10 minutes to update.
It is on our list of things to fix. I will see what I can do to try and get it done faster.

•••
OMG... what happens @ afternic "service" support team?

1. I Had a domain reported as sold on 25 Sep ("... has sold via Fast Transfer through our DLS Network"). It was shown as SOLD, not pendingsale!

2. Afternic system never stared fast transfer, nor sent me any instructions for manual push

3. Contacted service@ and learned the following: "You will need to expand the "Purchases" section on the left side of the screen. Then, click on "Domains". You should see the domain/s you have purchased on this screen. Click on the domain name and follow the on-screen instructions to proceed. If you need further assistance concerning this transaction, you may be better served contacting the Transaction Assurance Team directly at [email protected]."

WHAT? I did not purchase anything. So, is Afternic unable to see the difference between sellers and buyers? I am wondering what - if anything - did they tell the buyer then????

4. I wrote back explaining that I am the SELLER and also copied to ta@ just in case, because they explictly asked to do so

5. Received the following "From: Afternic Transaction Assurance" on Friday: "We have notified our Transaction Assurance team. They will investigate the issue".

WHAT? Transaction Assurance notified Transaction Assurance? Is it their alter ego?

6. I've given TA and all their alter egos the benefit of the doubt, and waited a few more days. Nothing changed in any aspect. The buyer PAID (as per the transaction status) but never received the domain which was supposed to be transferred immediately.

I am sorry that @Joe Styler has to replace service @ afternic so frequently. However, in buyers interests, may I ask you Joe to look into this issue. Even if gd/afternic do not seriously care about their reputation in buyers eyes, I do. And my sellers reputation is now affected by GD/Afternic.

Joe: Will now send a PM with the details

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back