IT.COM

Names randomly going "In Review" at Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have my names at Afternic. Every once in a while a name will go into "In Review" status, and then the sales lander turns into the "This name may be for sale...", rather than the BIN I want. Sometimes it resolves itself and sometimes I have to have my Afternic representative fix it. But today I woke up to find 17 names all suddenly showing as "In Review." These are all just normal .com names that have been in Afternic for anywhere from 2-5 months already. No TM issues, just good names. If they are not out of that status by tomorrow I will have to contact my Afternic rep to have them taken out of Review.

Questions:

1. If you have your names at Afternic, does this happen to you?
2. Do you know why this would happen?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what about the big dan announcements that all bin listed names on dan go to all same afternic networks... u dont trust using that instead... especaially since u love dan ui.. and me too... do u think that works same way or halfway or just a sale gimmick to get more people on dan? I mean technically if this works thru dan we never need to login to afternic again and can manage all thru dan... hell we dont even need paid gd auctions account cause the network includes gd..
am I missing something here?
DAN:

1. No Fast Transfer
2. No ACH payments
3. VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions.

•••
I meant the three that were no longer in review.
They are showing up in the front end search. They have Fast Transfer status. But the Request Price page is showing instead of the specified BIN page.

•••
They are showing up in the front end search. They have Fast Transfer status. But the Request Price page is showing instead of the specified BIN page.

I'm willing to bet that when you search the domain on the front of site, there is a "Get It" button instead of the "Buy It Now" Fast Transfer button.

If that's the case, tap the "get it" button to add it to your cart.

Does it say, "This domain is unavailable?"

•••
When there is a potential buyer they don't want potential buyers to see the price, exactly when price must be shown. The reason is obvious: they want to make buying price and selling price different, and steal the difference.
Lots of similar things happening, they fix it, and quietly they bring it back in another form. Scam is sooo sweet, it may be epik or another company, it is human nature (as Sedo calls it). Ok, give me the fair tools, then
play whatever games behind scenes you want to play, and I will counter them with those tools. If rules are not fair or arbitrary (can change in the middle of the game), and they are biased then, this is not a game or gambling, it is slavery, abuse of power..
This is of course worse than shillbidding.
Why delay posts, while my only mistake was about creating new threads (not posting at the best place).

Last edited:
•••
I meant the three that were no longer in review.

I'm willing to bet that when you search the domain on the front of site, there is a "Get It" button instead of the "Buy It Now" Fast Transfer button.

If that's the case, tap the "get it" button to add it to your cart.

Does it say, "This domain is unavailable?"
I checked and I do get the "Buy" button. When I click the next page is the "Confirm Purchase" page.

•••
DAN:

1. No Fast Transfer
2. No ACH payments
3. VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions.

well those arent major issues for ability to ditch that aftrnic bug sheetshow. ps what do u mean no fast transfer ? so what Happens if they click bin via gd or another partner? i just goes to a normal dan sale process? but buyer still pays so lack of fast transfer doesnt really reduce sale chance?

•••
well those arent major issues for ability to ditch that aftrnic bug sheetshow. ps what do u mean no fast transfer ? so what Happens if they click bin via gd or another partner? i just goes to a normal dan sale process? but buyer still pays so lack of fast transfer doesnt really reduce sale chance?
Fast transfer is a nice feature. But sure, you'd still get the sale without it.
The lack of ACH is important to me. I like ACH better than getting wire transfers. Under $2,000 goes to Paypal, and I don't like that--I like my payments direct to my bank.
But the biggest thing now is the VAT. That's adds up to around 20% more for any name purchased in the EU.

•••
Fast transfer is a nice feature. But sure, you'd still get the sale without it.
The lack of ACH is important to me. I like ACH better than getting wire transfers. Under $2,000 goes to Paypal, and I don't like that--I like my payments direct to my bank.
But the biggest thing now is the VAT. That's adds up to around 20% more for any name purchased in the EU.

tnx for info. I didnt know about vat
...kindly explain if this relates to seller being in eu somehow
..or If strictly about buyer residency? 20percent could kill it... maybe gd moves dan to usa or something?

•••
tnx for info. I didnt know about vat
...kindly explain if this relates to seller being in eu somehow
..or If strictly about buyer residency? 20percent could kill it... maybe gd moves dan to usa or something?
This is what Dan told me in their Chat Support. I can't say I completely understand this. Can anyone clarify this? Being from the US, I'm not very familiar with how VAT works.

ME: "I read on Twitter that you are going to start charging VAT. Is that even true?:

DAN: "VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions. Of course, it is entirely up to the seller if they want the buyer to cover the VAT during the purchase or not."

ME: When you say VAT will be charged for all "Europe-based transactions," does that mean specifically if the buyer is from Europe? Or if Dan creates a transaction in Europe? Sorry, just unclear to me."

DAN: "To put it in better wording, all consumers in the EU are charged VAT on the purchase of goods and services. If you are based outside of the EU, VAT will not be applicable."

ME: "Just to be clear, let's use my situation. I am the seller n the US. If a buyer is from the EU, they are charged VAT. Correct?"

DAN: "From now on, the invoice and VAT application for you as a seller is in no way affected by the location of the buyer. From now on, you only trade with us - a registered company in the Netherlands and only our details will be displayed on the invoice. For your buyers, depending on their location, they will pay VAT or not, based on our company details, as they will only see our details as the counterparty to the transaction. Since you are a seller in the US, no VAT will be applied to your transactions."

ME: "It's still not clear. You wrote: "they will pay VAT or not, based on our company details, as they will only see our details as the counterparty to the transaction." If they are in a country that requires VAT be paid, they owe it, right?"

DAN: "That depends on the country they are located in, since VAT will be applied based on our company registration in the EU. If they are a VAT-registered company in the EU, they will not pay VAT. If they are not VAT registered, they will not pay VAT. If they are located in the Netherlands, regardless of their VAT registration, they do pay VAT."

•••
This is what Dan told me in their Chat Support. I can't say I completely understand this. Can anyone clarify this? Being from the US, I'm not very familiar with how VAT works.

ME: "I read on Twitter that you are going to start charging VAT. Is that even true?:

DAN: "VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions. Of course, it is entirely up to the seller if they want the buyer to cover the VAT during the purchase or not."

ME: When you say VAT will be charged for all "Europe-based transactions," does that mean specifically if the buyer is from Europe? Or if Dan creates a transaction in Europe? Sorry, just unclear to me."

DAN: "To put it in better wording, all consumers in the EU are charged VAT on the purchase of goods and services. If you are based outside of the EU, VAT will not be applicable."

ME: "Just to be clear, let's use my situation. I am the seller n the US. If a buyer is from the EU, they are charged VAT. Correct?"

DAN: "From now on, the invoice and VAT application for you as a seller is in no way affected by the location of the buyer. From now on, you only trade with us - a registered company in the Netherlands and only our details will be displayed on the invoice. For your buyers, depending on their location, they will pay VAT or not, based on our company details, as they will only see our details as the counterparty to the transaction. Since you are a seller in the US, no VAT will be applied to your transactions."

ME: "It's still not clear. You wrote: "they will pay VAT or not, based on our company details, as they will only see our details as the counterparty to the transaction." If they are in a country that requires VAT be paid, they owe it, right?"

DAN: "That depends on the country they are located in, since VAT will be applied based on our company registration in the EU. If they are a VAT-registered company in the EU, they will not pay VAT. If they are not VAT registered, they will not pay VAT. If they are located in the Netherlands, regardless of their VAT registration, they do pay VAT."

what the hell... so the buyer only pays vat if in eu and if has registered company? what about regular joe blow little guy enduser from eu who buys private use domain?

•••
FYI: This morning my Afternic rep cleared all those names out of Review. If I didn't have such a good rep there, I'd go crazy. Very thankful to him, always helps quickly.

I do have other minor issues, like a 3 or 4 names that no matter what we try, they will not show the BIN page or be part of the frontend inventory search. Very strange.

•••

Reminder: Auto opt-in to Afternic coming August 1st​

Given this change will go into effect next week, we wanted to remind you that all domains listed on Dan will automatically opt-in into the Afternic marketplace beginning 1 August. We believe our sellers benefit from additional exposure to more than 150 partners of the Afternic network.
That was in email we all received so @markfromslo you will have fast transfer automatically at dan.

From email
>Analysis of Dan sellers opting into distribution on the Afternic network shows an increase of more than 30% on the average sales price those sellers receive. <

An increase of more than 30% on average sales price¿

I list at both to prevent others from listing them. Let the game of monopoly continue
Your turn

•••

Reminder: Auto opt-in to Afternic coming August 1st​

Given this change will go into effect next week, we wanted to remind you that all domains listed on Dan will automatically opt-in into the Afternic marketplace beginning 1 August. We believe our sellers benefit from additional exposure to more than 150 partners of the Afternic network.
That was in email we all received so @markfromslo you will have fast transfer automatically at dan.

From email
>Analysis of Dan sellers opting into distribution on the Afternic network shows an increase of more than 30% on the average sales price those sellers receive. <

An increase of more than 30% on average sales price¿

I list at both to prevent others from listing them. Let the game of monopoly continue
Your turn
I had asked Afternic and they said that the names with DAN nameservers, even if opted in to the Afternic network, would not get the Fast Transfer.

•••
afternic ui and gd too are disAsters especially on phones.. I'm Happy to manage all my dan slash afternic network names via dan. today I removed all names from afternic. I couldn't care less for fast transfer or ach payment..... I was hoping to clean my gd auctions too... but turns out those dan names show bin and makeoffer on gd auctions .. so if I close my gd auctons i won't be able to respond to makeoffers... bin buys will still work and finalize thru dan

•••
It's like every time you ask, they say a completely different thing. Lmao

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes, quite frequently

No. All I get is an "Apologies for the inconvenience caused, we have listed those domains 🤷‍♂️

yes and it happens.again soon. they are a joke

•••
It’s nice that you can get an answer, I’ve been waiting for over a month to get a response on my request with support.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back