IT.COM

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Service@afternic is sh*t. Too many times they have said they will investigate and reply but never do! I remember this has happened multiple times when I asked for the SWIFT copy so that my bank could track the transaction but they never gave it to me. Sh*tty service.

•••
I apologize for the delay and the service on this one. There was a problem and the manager knows and is looking into fixing this. There are two teams that handle the TA support service handles some things and tries to help if they can and if not they hand it to the individual who is working the domain sale on our dedicated TA team. So yes it does look odd the answer they gave that they are sending it to themselves, but there are two teams who help field issues on the back end.

•••
Also been having lots of problems with Afternic's "Transaction Assurance" recently. When I initiate account pushes, as per Afternic's own instructions, they often 5+ days to even accept the domain (and that is with me emailing them every other day telling them to accept the domain). TA Agents do not respond to messages 7/10 times. Also, sometimes they just take the domain into their holding account, but nobody moves it to buyer after that. For some TA agents, I do not know who they are since they don't reply to my messages, I need to send them "reminder" emails to move the transaction forward: Remember to accept the domain. Remember to push the domain to buyer. Remember to mark the domain as transfer completed. etc. This should not be necessary and TA's should strive to complete ownership transfer as soon as possible, as their delays and unresponsiveness is unprofessional and creates a really poor customer experience for buyers. Imagine sending Afternic thousands of dollars, and then facing lots of delays and difficulties in taking ownership of the purchased domain.

And I hope more support staff can be hired because [email protected] usually takes 4-7 days to respond, and sometimes do not respond at all, and if you inquiry is about anything slightly complex you'll surely have to go back and forth with them for a long time before somebody actually looks into you issue (seems like they often try to improve their "efficiency" by copy/pasting boilerplate answers that are unrelated to the issue at hand, in the hopes that you will give up and stop bothering them). Also, never ask them two questions in one email. They always address the first question, and ignore the second. It's a must to send them one email per issue/question if you want help.

Some payments are delayed. I was notified 5 weeks ago that Afternic would pay me within 1-3 days for a domain, but for some reason I didn't get the payment until now, 5 weeks later than their stated 1-3 days. Fortunately, most payments are on time these days, but I wish payments could be sent out on time 100% of the time.

I also keep seeing a certain payment failure pattern every now and then, most recently one week ago, which is that somebody buys a name via Afternic but their payment is rejected, and they then buy the name from me at another platform without any issues. I have seen many payments rejected at Afternic, but not once had this issue at another platform. I find it strange that these buyers are able to buy these domains from me at other platforms with the same payment methods that Afternic rejected, and it therefore seems like Afternic's payment verification system is oversensitive at times, and as a result deeming good payments suspicious. Rejecting good payments is obviously not a good thing, though I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. I just see sales failing at Afternic, and then immediately after, the name sells via another platform without any payment issues.

The "account summary" is not working for more than half a year. How about fixing it or just deleting it, instead of letting all your users face a broken dashboard every day?

Any updates on when we will get better account security? Expanding password character options from alphanumerics to also symbols would be a start. And making all login pages encrypted by default should be done as well, in certain browsers and on certain devices the log in page is still plain http with login info being sent over the web in plain text.

I'm still being asked to click on a link to verify my email address daily. Since first registering, I have never again received this email. It would be nice if the Afternic website would let me add the names and do the edits I need to, without inexplicably taking me to a page telling me to verify my account by clicking on a link in an email that never materializes (and doesn't need to be clicked, as this is just a glitch). At time the entire Afternic page just breaks down, with a plain text message saying that my browser is severely outdated. I have the latest editions of chrome and safari, so it looks like it's Afternic's website that is severely outdated, not my browsers. I'd prefer to use FireFox though, but no buttons on the Afternic page work when I use that browser, so it's impossible to even log in via FireFox. Hopefully these issues can be fixed, because nobody is going to sign up to Afternic to make an offer or buy a name if the website doesn't work in their browser.

Last edited:
•••
I'd prefer to use FireFox though, but no buttons on the Afternic page work when I use that browser

I started to have the same issues, but only after:

A) fixing tons of spying staff firefox does in the background. Had to spend 2 evenings trying to figure out what internal-invisible options should be disabled or changed in about:config. So my firefox no more behaves like windows10 (data collection terminal in fact).

and

B) installing adblocker

I am now able to access afternic using "default" firefox profile from inside virtualbox virtual machine. Had to set it up exactly for this purpose, also for Uniregistry (who are also trying to utilize something that I disabled).

So VirtualBox with some quick and free Linux inside might be a solution

•••
OMG... what happens @ afternic "service" support team?
I can confirm that the "never-finished" instant transfer sale, which I mentioned on page 17th, was successfully completed earlier today, thanks to @Joe Styler . As per whois, the buyer already has the domain name with the Afternic's partner registrar who sold it. Hope Afternic was able to locate root cause of the problem, as a possibility of 1+ week delay with fast transfer sales is something that should be fixed and asap...

•••
Amazing to see this topic. We've got thousands of domains and have been encountering the same faults with Afternic all 2017.

Afternic send "opt in" emails, but Namesilo never get the notification. So Namesilo never send us the official "opt in"

Can anyone senior at Godaddy/Afternic get involved and fix what must be a whole bunch of very simple programming defects. (We are software developers by trade, so know how trivial to fix most of these bugs are)

We are also seeing severe delays in the "TA" dept. ie domain that sold a month ago, we're being completely ignored. I understand the TA manager is "Nick" BTW.

Last edited:
•••
Transactions are taking an unacceptable amount of time to move forwards these days.

Afternic frequently takes 4-5 days to "verify funds" after buyer has paid. On other platforms it is instantaneous. And credit cards are getting rejected more often, and buyers are asked to send a wire transfer instead! This is a big hassle and turns buyers off, especially overseas ones (and many of them disappear or buy the name via another platform - without any payment issues). No other registrar or platforms reject credit cards this much. I have actually suggested some buyers to buy the name via GoDaddy instead, and guess what, GoDaddy accepts the credit cards rejected by Afternic! If GoDaddy accepts the credit card, why can't you?

After initiating a push, as the Afternic Transaction Assurance system instructs us to do, nobody at Afternic accepts the push for 5-7 days. For this system to work, responsive cooperation is required from Afternic! Are there so few Transaction Assurance staff that they only have time to log in to each registrar to accept pushes once a week? Other marketplaces usually move forward with this within 24 hours. And when Afternic gets the name, due to slow communication with buyer, they may hold the domain for another 5-10 days before moving it to buyer, or longer if they "forget" to move the name to buyer (which happens a lot if you don't remind them - shouldn't there be some internal system to remind escrow agents about moving names?).

So what usually takes a day, or up to a few days on other platforms, often end up taking 2-3 weeks at Afternic. The "Transaction Assurance" system provides a very unsatisfactory experience for both buyers and sellers.

Please hire more Transaction Assurance staff to be able to move forward with transactions in a timely, professional, and responsive manner.

•••
I guess this may be intended behavior, but I thought I would mention it in case it is not.

Pick a domain (.com) you know is on the network. Type the name in a registrar like GoDaddy or Register.com with and without the extension. This, as it should, returns the .com as the top result. Perfect!

Now type that domain with .net instead. Notice that the .com is nowhere to be seen in the results, yet it will show some other .com that is for sale (on afternic) in the list that is less relevant.

Should the exact match .com version not be at the top of that list, or at least somewhere in it?

I have tried with a few domains at a few registrars and the results seem the same.

Also, on a less important note - I noticed someone mentioned receiving a notice about a verify email notice on the website. This is very normal and happens to me often. If you login and do not logout - then come back after a couple of hours - you will receive this message. You then need to click logout and re-login to access your account. You do not actually need to verify your account, Afternic needs to make a small update in their code to fully log you out when "timed out" to fix this.

Last edited:
•••
Hiring more staff shouldn't be a big deal for AfterNic/GoDaddy. They get $1000 for every $5000 sale and we are the ones paying the cost for holding and buying the domains so I don't think there is much work or investment from AfterNic's side. They should be able to hire a few more guys without a problem. This is an urgent requirement!

•••
Maybe they don't care. It's obvious based on all of your feedback.

•••
Maybe they don't care. It's obvious based on all of your feedback.

Possibly, I've tried to reach Joe Styler multiple times - but I only hear white noise back.

•••
The whole Afterenic console is full of little issues and bugs, they really need to sort things out and make application working properly, that's for sure. Developers and staff needed.
Apart from bugs and slow response, I'm worried about fast-transfer issues too. Lately I found out that some of my domains, which were set to DLS fast transfer, are still in ICANN 60-day lock period. How were they eligible for fast-transfer?
How will Afternic system transfer ICANN locked domain?
This fact raises questions about system integrity.

By the way, I had no problems when I sold a domain over Afternic via manual transfer in the past. Super fast payment too.

•••
The whole Afterenic console is full of little issues and bugs, they really need to sort things out and make application working properly, that's for sure. Developers and staff needed.
Apart from bugs and slow response, I'm worried about fast-transfer issues too. Lately I found out that some of my domains, which were set to DLS fast transfer, are still in ICANN 60-day lock period. How were they eligible for fast-transfer?
How will Afternic system transfer ICANN locked domain?
This fact raises questions about system integrity.

By the way, I had no problems when I sold a domain over Afternic via manual transfer in the past. Super fast payment too.

There are always those DLS bugs, don't worry, if fast-transfer fails, it just drops back to Manual Transfer. I saw some domains in my account which I hadn't renewed. Sedo is much quicker removing domains from accounts.

But Flippa suffers similar listing issues, and possibly Uniregistry?

•••
here are always those DLS bugs, don't worry, if fast-transfer fails, it just drops back to Manual Transfer. I saw some domains in my account which I hadn't renewed. Sedo is much quicker removing domains from accounts

Thanks for letting me know, it's fine then.

Removing domains from previous owner's account is possible only by contacting their staff, that sux

Last edited:
•••
Possibly, I've tried to reach Joe Styler multiple times - but I only hear white noise back.
I was on vacation. I just got back and responded to you today.

•••
Transactions are taking an unacceptable amount of time to move forwards these days.

Afternic frequently takes 4-5 days to "verify funds" after buyer has paid. On other platforms it is instantaneous. And credit cards are getting rejected more often, and buyers are asked to send a wire transfer instead! This is a big hassle and turns buyers off, especially overseas ones (and many of them disappear or buy the name via another platform - without any payment issues). No other registrar or platforms reject credit cards this much. I have actually suggested some buyers to buy the name via GoDaddy instead, and guess what, GoDaddy accepts the credit cards rejected by Afternic! If GoDaddy accepts the credit card, why can't you?

After initiating a push, as the Afternic Transaction Assurance system instructs us to do, nobody at Afternic accepts the push for 5-7 days. For this system to work, responsive cooperation is required from Afternic! Are there so few Transaction Assurance staff that they only have time to log in to each registrar to accept pushes once a week? Other marketplaces usually move forward with this within 24 hours. And when Afternic gets the name, due to slow communication with buyer, they may hold the domain for another 5-10 days before moving it to buyer, or longer if they "forget" to move the name to buyer (which happens a lot if you don't remind them - shouldn't there be some internal system to remind escrow agents about moving names?).

So what usually takes a day, or up to a few days on other platforms, often end up taking 2-3 weeks at Afternic. The "Transaction Assurance" system provides a very unsatisfactory experience for both buyers and sellers.

Please hire more Transaction Assurance staff to be able to move forward with transactions in a timely, professional, and responsive manner.
We have the same credit card processor on the back end for both websites and the same team looking into the transactions. There may be an edge case here I am missing. You can always email your account rep or [email protected] for help with any names that you sold and should receive a response very quickly.

•••
Joe, in light of recently discovered WiFi security problem -

https : // www. easydns. com/blog/2017/10/16/major-wifi-vulnerability-discovered-krack-attack/

maybe it is time for afternic to finally implement https protocol, in correct way? As this namepros thread (together with the 2nd related thread) are indicating, afternic techs were never able to correctly setup forwarding from http to https (the site showed all sorts of errors), so they elected to disable this forwarding. Moreover, even if an user is using https - then the browser would still warn them about https issues after login, such as insecure images or scripts or whatever.

As per careers dot godaddy dot net website, GD is now looking to hire "Senior Software Development Engineer - Security". Since this job is still posted at the time of this writing, why not to hire one-time "elite" freelancer to fix all the security issues afternics main website currently has? Also 2-factor authentication would be helpful, just imagine what would happen if somebody manages to login as domain seller and change all prices to $10

Last edited:
•••
Yes, Also Namejet should implement HTTPS too. Why do these big companies not take security seriously?

•••
maybe it is time for afternic to finally implement https protocol, in correct way? As this namepros thread (together with the 2nd related thread) are indicating, afternic techs were never able to correctly setup forwarding from http to https (the site showed all sorts of errors), so they elected to disable this forwarding. Moreover, even if an user is using https - then the browser would still warn them about https issues after login, such as insecure images or scripts or whatever.

They could actually do most of this using Cloudflare in a few clicks, with no technical ability.

They just have to want to and as you can see, people here have asked them over and over and over again to address this. And they certainly can afford to - the question is, can they they afford not to?

Maybe they just think no matter what no one will go elsewhere - so they save money by not fixing stuff and clients bear the risk and the costs and the inconvenience.

Last edited:
•••
Afternic are pretty good at negotiating sales, so we stick with them. Who else is as good?

•••
review.png

The review system is out of wack. Again.

1000+ of my domain listings are not working.

•••
I have a certain domain listed for sale at Afternic that it seems to fit all the criteria for Fast Transfer, but the request won't come at the DynaDot side.

I wrote to AN asking why, and they said because it is transfer locked.
Specifically, they wrote: "According to the WHOIS, your domain is currently locked against transfer by your registrar, Dynadot. We cannot determine whether this is a 60 day lock or a manual setting."

Well, ALL of my domains at DD are transfer locked, this shouldn't matter, because there is an override setting that allows the AN Fast Transfer (on the DD side this setting is marked under Quick Info as "Quick info afternic").

In other words, on the DD side even though all of my domains are transfer locked, still the eligible ones, are additionally marked for AN Fast Transfer.

So why is this one particular domain not being accepted for Fast Transfer? It fits all of the below:

• .com, .net, .biz, .org, .pw and .info TLDs only
• Listed domains must have a Buy Now price
• Buy Now price must be below $50,000
• Registered for 60 days or longer with the current registrar and must not be subject to a 60 day registry lock (usually due to recent WHOIS update)
• Registration must not be within 30 days of expiration
• Registered with a Premium Promotion Partner

@Joe Styler I could PM or email you the domain name so that you could confidentially take a look. Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
•••
As far as the "Domains Pending Review" status, "hidden," I have a few dozen that I believe the issue is that they consider them "adult" or "obscene" although really they aren't adult most all don't contain any real obscene words, that remain in review, the number hasn't changed up or down since the beginning. I'm sending a list of them that should be fine and approved, to AN now.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back