Dynadot

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

NameSilo
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same here, about 60% of my afternic portfolio became pendingreview. @Joe Styler : are we with this problem again? Can you explain please why afternic periodically elects to stop domain distribution of some domains for undetermined periods of time? Last time the problem occured, the domains were returned to distribution with or without manual intervention from afternic, in a day or so, and after this happened I received just the following response from service@: "Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. At this time, there are no domains pending review in your account. Please let us know if you have any additional questions."
The only additional question is I have is: WHY?
Which registrar(s) is that 60% of your portfolio with? Just one, a handful, or does it cover names across all registrars?

•••
Which registrar(s) is that 60% of your portfolio with? Just one, a handful, or does it cover names across all registrars?
An interesting question. Tried to find out, but, at the time of this writing, all domains are back to normal state. Must be the magic of this forum :), or completely random system behavior at Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
An interesting question. Tried to find out, but, at the time of this writing, all domains are back to normal state. Must be the magic of this forum :), or completely random system behavior at Afternic.
Hopefully there will be no next time for this issue, but if there is, please take a look at which registrar(s) it affects.

This issue of vast amounts of names going into "in review" seems to disproportionately affect my namesilo domains. Would be useful to know if other users with the same "in review" issue is seeing something similar or if this is something that affects all registrars equally across the board.

•••
Makes perfect sense indeed, about a half of my afternic domains are regged with NameSilo.

•••
I wanted to post a quick message on this issue... we have had 2 customers bring this problem to our attention. We have been in contact with Afternic and they are researching the issue and hope to have a solution in place by Monday morning. We are standing by to help their technical team with anything on our end to help them locate and resolve the problem they are having. We will be sure to post back here once we have more information from Afternic.

•••
Amazing, it is Sunday and @namesilo is trying to help to resolve something that is not their direct problem. NameSilo customer support should be an example for other registrars, shows perfectly how the things can and should be done...

Last edited:
•••
To follow up... Afternic has contacted us and told us that the issue has been resolved and any affected domain names should now show as available. They are investigated systems on their end to help identify the cause.

•••
It does seem that the Fast Transfer system is improved. When I go into my Afternic and list a BIN/Floor for a domain, and then login to my DynaDot the request is already there.

•••
Just tried that and it really is, but after I confirmed domains at DD, back to Afternic admin panel it still says No (Opt-in Required).
According to my past experience, fast transfer will be activated after some time right?

EDIT: Ok, all good now at Afternic after 10 minutes

Last edited:
•••
Did you make any changes to the domains that would impact the whois? Are all these domains at the same registrar? Sometimes that will update the whois on their side. If there is a whois change or another change triggered by the registrar we have to re-check the domains to make sure that they are still eligible to be in the fast transfer. We didn't have any issues with our systems over the weekend.

•••
@Joe Styler Everything went fine at Afternic, I edited my post after 10 minutes, sorry for pointing that out too early.

•••
@Joe Styler - The “Earnings on Domains Sold” and “Domains Sold Gross (Before Afternic Commission)” stats in the account summary on the dashboard stopped working 8 months ago.

Can you assign a developer to fix this issue before the end of 2017? It's only the financial stats that stopped updating, the system has continued to accurately count number of domains sold, so I assume it would be easy to fix.

Last edited:
•••
Dear Afternic & Namesilo

Has anyone else wondered what happens if someone adds your domains to Afternic Premium, and you accidentally approve?

We own thousands of domains. It would take a lot of work to very every authorisation request.

Can afternic and Namesilo include the afternic username in every request we are presented?

Otherwise, it is open to domain name fraud. Imagine some nefarious person adds our domains to an afternic account priced at $400, and then does a Fast-Transfer sale.

-- What, if any comeback do we have?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Afternic listing requests
Date: 13 Nov 2017 06:30:01 -0000

Hello,

To skip this message and simply accept, please click the link below:

https://www.namesilo.com/afa/419zz/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You are receiving this email as a result of the Afternic listing process being invoked through an Afternic account, on the following domain(s):

abcdefghijk.com

•••
Dear Afternic & Namesilo

Has anyone else wondered what happens if someone adds your domains to Afternic Premium, and you accidentally approve?

We own thousands of domains. It would take a lot of work to very every authorisation request.

Can afternic and Namesilo include the afternic username in every request we are presented?

Otherwise, it is open to domain name fraud. Imagine some nefarious person adds our domains to an afternic account priced at $400, and then does a Fast-Transfer sale.

-- What, if any comeback do we have?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Afternic listing requests
Date: 13 Nov 2017 06:30:01 -0000

Hello,

To skip this message and simply accept, please click the link below:

https://www.namesilo.com/afa/419zz/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You are receiving this email as a result of the Afternic listing process being invoked through an Afternic account, on the following domain(s):

abcdefghijk.com

Hello. This would be a question that Afternic would need to address as it is something inherent in their system and how their verifications work. We do not currently have access to Afternic username as part of our integration. This is not something unique to us, but is the same with all registrars. Therefore, the question really needs to be addressed by Afternic. It is really best left to them to address how verifications within their system work, and what recourse there is if domains are improperly listed. I can tell you, from our perspective, that they appear to have a lot of internal processes for verification to help maintain the integrity of their system, but they would need to further address specifics. Thanks

•••
Hello. This would be a question that Afternic would need to address as it is something inherent in their system and how their verifications work. We do not currently have access to Afternic username as part of our integration. This is not something unique to us, but is the same with all registrars. Therefore, the question really needs to be addressed by Afternic. It is really best left to them to address how verifications within their system work, and what recourse there is if domains are improperly listed. I can tell you, from our perspective, that they appear to have a lot of internal processes for verification to help maintain the integrity of their system, but they would need to further address specifics. Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware Afternic don't prevent us adding domains to our Afternic account which have out of date whois info (not our account email address). I would therefore imagine they also then send the premium email to that person instead of us. (Sedo and Flippa block this kind of adding)

Note, eg When we have sold a domain, but the new owner has not updated the whois, we regularly receive emails intended for them from organisations such as Godaddy and others.

•••
Just because a domain is listed for sale at AN does not mean it may transfer, fast or otherwise. The fast transfer approval is done at the registrar not at AN, so can you please outline a scenario where you’d lose your domain?

For example when I acquire a domain and go to list it at AN sometimes it is already listed there by the prior owner. Doesn’t mean that the domain could transfer in event of a sale.

•••
Just because a domain is listed for sale at AN does not mean it may transfer, fast or otherwise. The fast transfer approval is done at the registrar not at AN, so can you please outline a scenario where you’d lose your domain?

For example when I acquire a domain and go to list it at AN sometimes it is already listed there by the prior owner. Doesn’t mean that the domain could transfer in event of a sale.

Afternic should test this out and confirm if it really is secure? They must have some security people? I don't support this kind of activity, I wish it would not happen, but I fear that Afternic Fast-Transfer is not secure.
1. Hacker creates a new account with Afternic.
2. Hacker adds domains to account that do not own, but show another domainer's email address on whois. For 300 USD.
3. Other domainer receives opt-in notice from registrar. Domainers clicks through to approve.
4. The rest is usual Godaddy domain purchase process... from godaddy.com for 300 USD.

•••
Joe could respond but I don’t think they’d get past step 2. And even if they did why would you click to approve 3 which with my registrar DynaDot I must login to approve the AN fast transfer no clicking on email.

I have a couple thousand domain names it’s not impossible to keep track of what is going on.

I agree though if your step 2 is a problem AN should address this.

Last edited:
•••
We do check ownership. If it slips past that check we send the domain name and price in the email you need to approve so that should tip you off, if you see someone trying to list your domain - great.com for $300 that should throw up a red flag that is why we put the price in the emails. If you click that you agree to sell great.com at $300 then you agreed so you should pay attention to the emails and also to the interface you agree on. So you do need to pay attention to what you are agreeing to just like with anything else you agree to.
Having said that we have around 12 million domains listed with us and we have not had this problem where a name sells after someone agrees to a name they didn't list at a price they didn't list it at in that email because we do try and verify ownership as well as ask you if you are trying to list great.com at $300.

•••
We do check ownership. If it slips past that check we send the domain name and price in the email you need to approve so that should tip you off, if you see someone trying to list your domain - great.com for $300 that should throw up a red flag that is why we put the price in the emails. If you click that you agree to sell great.com at $300 then you agreed so you should pay attention to the emails and also to the interface you agree on. So you do need to pay attention to what you are agreeing to just like with anything else you agree to.
Having said that we have around 12 million domains listed with us and we have not had this problem where a name sells after someone agrees to a name they didn't list at a price they didn't list it at in that email because we do try and verify ownership as well as ask you if you are trying to list great.com at $300.

Thank you for your reply.

We get around 400 Afternic DLS domain emails per day, every day. It would cost me $350 per week to hire someone to read that list every day. Oddly the Afternic support team are unwilling to fix the fault wheich sends out these Afternic DLS emails for domains that are still under 60 day lock. Can that defect be fixed? That's the reason non one reads the bulk emails every day because they are the same 60day locked domains.

It does seem like a real loop-hole that Afternic let people add domains to their account when whois doesn't match?

•••
Okay there may well be an issue here, as far as AN accepting domains into a portfolio just like that. I just submitted for listing in my portfolio at AN a domain I own, but that has private WhoIs. It was accepted immediately for listing, and is now in my portfolio.

I then submitted another domain of mine that I own, but that has a WhoIs that is completely different from the contact email (Primary account email) on my AN account. It was also accepted immediately for listing, and is now in my portfolio.

I just listed them both with a minimum offer, no BIN, no Floor.

Note: all of the other domains in my AN Portfolio, the WhoIs matches my AN primary account email.

I'll leave these two mismatched WhoIs domains in there for a bit, and see what, if any, emails arrive in the future.

Last edited:
•••
You won't get emails to opt in for fast transfer unless your domains have a buy now price and are eligible for transfer.

•••
I understand that (no Fast Transfer, since no BIN/Floor), but I thought that AN would hold up the domains for a bit to verify the WhoIs against my AN primary account email? I mean - not even allow them to be added to my portfolio unless WhoIs matched my AN primary account email.

Last edited:
•••
You won't get emails to opt in for fast transfer unless your domains have a buy now price and are eligible for transfer.

Yes, we've been reporting this defect for 24 months to your team, reported every month.
Did you speak to Elizabeth, Liza, Vaclav, Cameron? When can the defect be fixed?

As I say, every day. eg hairtransplantcentre.com <- this defect makes us feel like where pulling our own hair out!

•••
There are two emails. One from Afternic saying you're name is eligible - meaning it is priced as a BIN under $50k , a tld that can be listed etc, etc.
You get another email from your registrar where the domain is registered, this is the one that allows you to opt in to fast transfer. We do not know if your name can be transferred or not that is up to your registrar to have the final decision. So you get another email from them when the name is eligible, for instance your lock is up.

•••
Back