IT.COM

discuss Outbound is tricky. Just wasted 3 hours

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just invested 3 hours doing outbound on a couple of .net names. Or should I say, wasted it!
It is tricky! At times, it feels like I am working on something that may have no results.

There could be a better use of my time, definitely! If I don't sell a domain by tomorrow, I would do one of the two things:

1) I will never do outbound again and focus on high-value names
2) I will hire someone to do the outbound for me

Whenever I watch some interviews on DomainSherpa of people who did outbound and got great results, or open my Twitter with people selling 10 domains within 60 days of domaining, I get inspired to look at my portfolio, select a couple of names or 4-5 name and start approaching leads for those names.

That's what I did yet again. Last month, or last to last month, I invested close to 10+ hours doing outbound and ended up not selling even one domain.

This week again, I have invested 3 hours so far and approached close to 20 lead for a domain name that I wanted to sell, and thought that it could be a good value addition for them. I wouldn't disclose the domain name but the pricing was $199, which was way below the actual price of the domain name for which it could be sold.
The name is expiring soon, so the pricing was done to liquidate and also get a boost for my outbound endeavors.

However, either the effort or the strategy is lacking somewhere and I will need to figure this out.

Outbound domainers, don't share your secret sauce! But some tips would help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It seems like you want something resembling free money. If outbound worked 100% of the time, everyone would do it.

There are methods and ways to increase your chances, first of which is a good domain name. It might help if you disclosed some methods, email content and domain, then we could potentially know where to help.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't disclose the domain name but the pricing was $199,

I think this may be why you arent having any success (y)

•••
Whenever I watch some interviews on DomainSherpa of people who did outbound and got great results, or open my Twitter with people selling 10 domains within 60 days of domaining,

Hi

maybe instead of just watching and reading about other peoples results,
try to find out "what domain names" they actually sold.

it seems like you continue to miss or ignore the most important factors, yet want the same or similar results...
as those who pay the most attention to them.

it doesn't work that way.

I think this may be why you arent having any success (y)

was thinking the same thing

imo....

•••
•••
This week again, I have invested 3 hours so far
Only 3 hour and you expect a sale? Don't just fooling around creating threads, most of your questions already have discussion here if you learn to use search

•••
Although I am not an expert on this, my two cents is that outbounding on any extension other than .COM is not worth it. Especially, if you are targeting an individual user (and not a company), and selling names between $200-$1000 price point - such an end user profile does not tend to value or appreciate or even understand the need/existence of non .COM extensions.

I have tried to outbound some real high quality names in .NET/.CO extensions for throwaway prices between $99-$299, but have no positive responses. Responses to lower category names with .COM have been better. But like I said, I am no authority on this.

•••
I don't think I will ever buy a domain that I receive an email about. It is spam! Do not spam! I wish I could charge you if you send me an email about a domain.

•••
Don't just fooling around creating threads, most of your questions already have discussion here if you learn to use search

Totally agree

i've given same advice many times to other new members who are searching for answers to questions where majority of them have previously been asked and replied to.

learn to use search feature.

imo...

•••
I don't think I will ever buy a domain that I receive an email about. It is spam! Do not spam! I wish I could charge you if you send me an email about a domain.
It definitely works, but you need to choose targeted buyers who would value the domain name. This takes education and experience to learn.

I've been doing outbound for almost four years on and off, and I have never had any complaints from the people I have contacted.

•••
but you need to choose targeted buyers who would value the domain name. This takes education and experience to learn.
I definitely agree with you there. Targeted people. I am not a good target. I get nothing but spam!
One of the names I keep getting spammed about (daily) is a flip flop of a name I have. And the name that they are constantly spamming me on is not even registered.

•••
Don't Spam!

(just had to say it again)

•••
if you are willing to sell domains for low xxx USD

and register domains that might never sell

and work a lot

then it might work one day
even for you

but hey why not trade stocks instead?
you will always find a buyer fast

•••
I definitely agree with you there. Targeted people. I am not a good target. I get nothing but spam!
One of the names I keep getting spammed about (daily) is a flip flop of a name I have. And the name that they are constantly spamming me on is not even registered.
Yeah, that's not outbound. I get those as well. There's a big difference between those and proper outbound emails.

But yes, I agree. Spamming is not an effective way of selling names.

•••
>> I just invested 3 hours doing outbound on a couple of .net names.

Tip #1: Stop investing in .net. Nobody wants them.

Outbound marketing takes time when it's done right. Three hours is nothing. Outbound marketing can become a full-time job.

But the entire exercise is pointless if you don't have a domain that other people want to own.

•••
if i received an email from you advertising .net we wouldnt make it to 3 hours.

You’d be blocked :xf.laugh:

Continue to waste time non-.com

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Outbound can eat a lot of time...

I generally don't do much of it.

Targeted geos make the most sense....

And accepting $xxx often times for hand regs will have to be ok with you if you are seeking good ROI for time.

For example awhile back I sent out a few messages to targeted users in the roofing niche.

Probably less than two hours of outbound work.

Got one to bite... and we agreed for a low $400 price for a pair of names reg'd during the Godaddy promo craze for very cheap.

(ftcollinsroofers,com & fortcollinsroofers,com fwd to the company today)

Roofing is a HUGE industry and contracts pay $xx,xxx each time, so niches like that are safe investments...

A site with ads could easily have been much more profitable, THEN the buyer comes to buy out - or holding out for a $xxxx sale passively over years, but it is possible to make deals doing outbound.

Churning and burning is important with the bootstrap method of domain investing.

And the price I sold for was really cheap still, but it was a quick $400 when I was getting ready to be a dad.

Much more profitable to have the buyers knocking on your door first rather than vice versa.

All of this written while I hear the neighbors getting a new roof installed right now! :ROFL:

Be well.

Last edited:
•••
>> I just invested 3 hours doing outbound on a couple of .net names.

Tip #1: Stop investing in .net. Nobody wants them.
Namebio reports 61 .net sales over $1,000 in the last month. That's better than .io and .co combined, and only slightly less than .org.

Just saying...

But I do agree that .net names are generally pretty tough to outbound.

•••
LMFAO

It has been mentioned above by a few people but I am going to repeat it (in a different wording)...

3 measly hours and your complaining?
180 minutes and your scratching your head and wondering why it didn't sell

I have lost count of the amount of times in my life when I have gone 3+ hours straight in a day without speaking to someone on the phone, the amount of emails or LinkedIn messages that been sent with no reply......

Sales/Marketing is not for everyone if your ego has been bruised after 3 hours then maybe find something else to do.....

ruefully shaking my head as I press the "post reply" button........

•••
Those were targeted leads btw. Got a response

"So how does this work?"

Have responded back. Let's see.

•••
Those were targeted leads btw. Got a response

"So how does this work?"

Have responded back. Let's see.
Buyer not responding now. Been 20 hours.
Maybe it was a general enquiry.

But that looked like the buyer of interested. From the tone.

•••
99% domainers are frustrated because of no regular sales and 99% of these frustrated domainers are new domain investors. With time the patience builts and makes one from the 1% successful.

•••
Buyer not responding now. Been 20 hours.
Maybe it was a general enquiry.

But that looked like the buyer of interested. From the tone.

Nah... that is a future domain investor that thought "holy cow, people sell this stuff for $xxx???!!!!" )

He basically asked you to mentor him )

•••
Its depend on many aspect. Outbound only one of art to reach targetted users , I still using outbound activity every day less than 1 hours. But I set a specific goal and before sending them an offer , l learnt more about my target and I never set a price .

How about the result ? Outbound is different ,we can't expect good respond instantly, sometime users need long time to make a great decision to refuse or accept . If they refuse once or twice , its really normal in marketing, cause I would change with personal approach or wait for several week s, month or may be years.

Why ? Cause I believe that they need the name in the future, as long as my domain is good , useful and relevant with their main business. I believe that any respond like "no , thank you", I am sorry not interested and bla bla bla... " is very normal in outbound process.

I find another facts that I can sell domain to some buyers although they refuse 3 - 5 times before closing the sale. Every buyers is from God , keep learning and never give up to make more sales . Oneday buyers would come to purchase your name.

•••
Back