Dynadot

discuss Logical Outbound Discussion

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
There seems to be a lot of conversation and consternation around inbound marketing of domains vs. outbound. Domains sold strictly via inbound might be considered, "Buy and Hold" or "Buy and Hoard", while outbound marketing is more of a progressive/aggressive approach.

As a business guy with almost 50 years of marketing/selling experience (see my Linkedin bio here on NP via information page). In my prior business life, 80% of my sales have been a result of outbound efforts. Much of it has been a result of what has been traditionally referred to as "cold calling" which seems to be a lost art with the advent of the internet.

Domain professionals here on NP and elsewhere seem to think outbound marketing won't work, although they claim to have tried it, and FAILED miserably:xf.frown: Personally I believe it will work, "if" done right. In my case, the first thing I need to do is attract a savvy technical individual who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. By that I mean they are either unemployed, are a visionary or are an entrepreneur like me.

btw, there isn't just one way to succeed at outbound marketing. Targeted email marketing is one way, direct mail marketing is another and phone sales and follow up is another way. All three of these techniques still work today in other industries, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to work in the domain industry imo.

I'm not asking NP members why outbound won't work, but rather why outbound will work. If some of you think it can work, I would like to hear from you. I'll start with "targeted" outbound marketing, for if you don't know your target, you're sure to fail.

Let's revolutionize domaining like the Wright Brothers revolutionized travel. What do you say:xf.grin: This can't be that hard...or can it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know it's this way in my country (Netherlands) but would reckon it's the same in some other West European countries although I cannot say for sure.

If you don't do it at large scale it won't get you in trouble though. People usually find unsolicited calls very annoying so its not the best way to reach out.
I cold call companies in the Netherlands on a regular basis on their Direct lines, work mobiles and switchboards and have never had a problem.

Same for Germany, UK, USA, Singapore, Sweden, Japan, Switzerland, France, Italy and various other places

•••
I agree, not that I really do any outbound, but I would not consider cold calling personally.

If I am remembering correctly, one of the sessions at NamesCon by a really successful high value broker seemed to say the same thing - your first contact should be very brief and unobtrusive, and that is not normally a phone call. Rather a social media interaction or a short email. The phone call should only follow up after interest has been expressed. The art is to plant the idea of the potential value added in that one short first interaction.

Bob
I doubt seriously a phone call will work, however, an email combined with a personalized "snail mail" introducing yourself is probably a good strategy. Of course email is free, but "snail mail" can be justified if it's good....so what do I mean by good? I don't know about the domain industry, but it will work if you keep tweaking it, and don't give up.

•••
I cold call companies in the Netherlands on a regular basis on their Direct lines, work mobiles and switchboards and have never had a problem.

Same for Germany, UK, USA, Singapore, Sweden, Japan, Switzerland, France, Italy and various other places
That's interesting! Do you get pretty positive responses/results?

I always try to put myself in the shoes of the person receiving the call. I personally despise receiving unsolicited phone calls, no matter what is being sold. So I generally assume others feel the same, and would prefer to receive a more passive email contact and then indicate their interest.

•••

I always try to put myself in the shoes of the person receiving the call. I personally despise receiving unsolicited phone calls, no matter what is being sold. So I generally assume others feel the same, and would prefer to receive a more passive email contact and then indicate their interest.
It is what I do for a living - In my younger days I used to do B2C (business to consumer) which was brutal, lot of anger, hanging up, threats etc still made decent dough out of it. I now solely focus on B2B (business to business) I enjoy talking to people which helps!

Success depends on your personality, the product/service on offer, can you handle rejection (most people can't) your telephone manner etc etc

If someone is not interested just move on to the next call......and repeat :xf.smile:

•••

Do you use any personalized and targeted snail mail? I still get a fair amount of snail mail for a couple of businesses, and I'm much more apt to respond to snail mail than email? btw, email may never get to me anyway, but if I got a piece of "snail mail" similar in looks to a well done landing page it would "catch" my attention.

Let me give you an example of something that just happened to me this morning. I work out at a gym where they have personal trainers. I've been working out on my own for over 40 years so I don't feel I need for a personal trainer, much less having to pay for one. I'm friends with all of them and most of them know I'm in the "Name" business because I have vanity license plates that say "Name Guy", and they hear me talking the "Name Game" They know about names I've come up with for local restaurants, and they know I'm actively involved in Re-branding Hampton Roads to something like SeVa that stands for Southeast Virginia or CoVa that stands for Coastal Virginia. I'm always asking their opinions so they can't help but get to know me, and me them.

Now moving on, one of the trainers has gotten to know me personally, and knows my slogan that's on my business card: "Make Something Happen". btw, this is a domain that I've owned since September 1, 2001, and I only use it for my email address. So I tell her this am that I just picked up a couple of new domains today; iStirShitUp.com and iStirStuffUp.com. So get this, she always seems legitimately:xf.wink: amused at what I do, and we've talked about her possibly working for with me someday. Her name is Da Nee Cole...this isn't her real last name, but it is actually how you spell her first name, and it's pronounced as you would expect "Danny". When I got home a few hours ago I checked to see if her name (a real cool name in my opinion) is available in a .com, and it was, so I own it now to give to her. Her name is "catchy" enough imo that I think she should own the domain. My point is when you see your name in print, and it's a good name, whether it be personal or for a business, some people are going to want it, or maybe rent or lease it.

Remember, I'm a marketing guy and not a domainer, but I believe certain things that have worked in the past will work in the domain industry as well.

Are we having fun yet:xf.grin:

•••
It is what I do for a living - In my younger days I used to do B2C (business to consumer) which was brutal, lot of anger, hanging up, threats etc still made decent dough out of it. I now solely focus on B2B (business to business) I enjoy talking to people which helps!

Success depends on your personality, the product/service on offer, can you handle rejection (most people can't) your telephone manner etc etc

If someone is not interested just move on to the next call......and repeat :xf.smile:

Lol. There definitely are a lot of people/companies still doing it. Like I said, chances you'll run into issues are slim. But you know. It's just not for me. I like playing by the rules, keep good karma ;)

•••
When credible Medical Institutions like UChicagoMed and Harvard's studies are non conclusive I can get behind them?

Not sure if you noticed but I reg'd the following today for "outbound":xf.wink:

iStirsh*tUp.com (maybe not politically correct)

and

IStirStuffUp.com (better)

If you hadn't noticed, this Humble Narcissist STIRS something up everywhere he goes and the domain industry is no different:xf.rolleyes: Enjoy your weekend!

Sure, you're free to get behind whatever you like. It's a free world. I'm just speaking my mind.

Re heart attacks, if you're genuinely worried about getting one when a phone is out of reach or something there are these panick necklaces available that do wonders.

Istirshitup is a nice name. I can see it being used although you most probably will alienate some of you audience. But you know, there are scenarios where your target audience definitely would have appreciation for the domain. I like it better than the political correct version cos it shows way more confidence which a narcissist doesn't have lack of.

Right, as for snail mail, I personally drop everything looking even remotely like advertising straight in the paper recycling bin (conveniently located next to the mailbox). Could it work? Decision makers usually only get to see a filtered portion of snail mail so I doubt it'd reach them. Could target their private address but I'd find that a bit intrusive.

Have a good weekend as well.

•••
I was not reading through all the thread (as it gets very clustered, etc), but I would advice to build relevant connections at LinkedIn if you want to do effective outbound to end users.

Just recently I sold there a name which even had $500 renewal fee (I will not tell more details, just that it was not big sale, I wanted to get quickly rid of it because of that renewal, so took only few multiples of renewal fee, nothing really interesting there), but what is interesting is that it took me exactly 2 minutes to do so - I have sent few PMs to RELEVANT end users, and one came back to me that they are in. Another 2 minutes to import lead to Dan.com, and that is it. There was instant trust as end user can check everything about me (particularly number of connections, articles, posts, etc).

I think some of you are really overcomplicating things, while at the same time you do not bring enough clarity about you and your domain business to end users. This alone is big problem - you should be transparent, have nice website, have lot of connections, and then things are not complicated. We have social media now, so why sent emails ? :)

•••
I was not reading through all the thread (as it gets very clustered, etc), but I would advice to build relevant connections at LinkedIn if you want to do effective outbound to end users.

Just recently I sold there a name which even had $500 renewal fee (I will not tell more details, just that it was not big sale, I wanted to get quickly rid of it because of that renewal, so took only few multiples of renewal fee, nothing really interesting there), but what is interesting is that it took me exactly 2 minutes to do so - I have sent few PMs to RELEVANT end users, and one came back to me that they are in. Another 2 minutes to import lead to Dan.com, and that is it. There was instant trust as end user can check everything about me (particularly number of connections, articles, posts, etc).

I think some of you are really overcomplicating things, while at the same time you do not bring enough clarity about you and your domain business to end users. This alone is big problem - you should be transparent, have nice website, have lot of connections, and then things are not complicated. We have social media now, so why sent emails ? :)
Marek...i'd really like to develop an "outbound" plan around Linkedin, if only I had the time. I have about a thousand connections on linked in, but not necessarily the kinds I'd like to have. That said however, I do have a program via Linked in that I pay 59.99 a month for that gives me a one time message access to key executives around the world. I was actually able to use that to get a message to the former CEO of Go Daddy, to which he responded. Now that's pretty powerful. I was pitching my connection with Pharrel Williams (R & B Artist - sings "Happy") for a TV "Name Show", but it never got off the ground:xf.frown:...it's still not dead though. And your right about your Linkedin bio giving credibility...that's why I have it listed here on the NP information link, but my critics around here consider me a narcissist for being so forthcoming:xf.rolleyes:

Linkedin messaging is far superior to email if you know how to use it. Enjoy your weekend Marek, and congrats on you sale(n)

•••
Marek...i'd really like to develop an "outbound" plan around Linkedin, if only I had the time. I have about a thousand connections on linked in, but not necessarily the kinds I'd like to have. That said however, I do have a program via Linked in that I pay 59.99 a month for that gives me a one time message access to key executives around the world. I was actually able to use that to get a message to the former CEO of Go Daddy, to which he responded. Now that's pretty powerful. I was pitching my connection with Pharrel Williams (R & B Artist - sings "Happy") for a TV "Name Show", but it never got off the ground:xf.frown:...it's still not dead though. And your right about your Linkedin bio giving credibility...that's why I have it listed here on the NP information link, but my critics around here consider me a narcissist for being so forthcoming:xf.rolleyes:

Linkedin messaging is far superior to email if you know how to use it. Enjoy your weekend Marek, and congrats on you sale(n)
Rich, thanks for your kind words. Well, that sale was nothing special, I just noted that it as it literally took almost no effort :) I think that idea of outbound is definitely not dead, and it is great it is discussed here as well.

As for that program for 59.99 at Linkedin : I do not use it at all. I rather connect with people, now have more then 10k connections (the advantage is that once they are connected, I can send them message anytime I want, and all for free - of course, message must be relevant and added value for them, otherwise it is not cool)

I try to select relevant end users: for example if I have some nice blockchain domain names, I search and try to connect with some leaders in blockchain industry who have not so good domain names. And I send them some names suggestion in initial "connect request" message, informing them about new gTLD domain options - usually those people connect then (some of them even thank me for good info!), and we can have some chat about domains, if they show some more interest. So it is not really some strategy, it is that when you see someone with clumsy domain name, you can offer them some better options.

It is lot of work (and is difficult to scale), but I enjoy it and honestly, it is more beneficial to my finances comparing to what I earn when chatting with fellow domain investors here (aka zero $). On the other hand, I like to relax as well, and just to chat a bit and read some new things/opinions, or have some fun, and for that I am visiting this nice place here :)

•••
I skipped all stuff above but keep this in mind regarding:

That's actually illegal in some parts of the EU. Just so you know.

it is legal for B2B ..

and if you may assume that the other party has a strong interest in the infos,
that you are supplying

- my understanding of the german law-
-no legal advise-
- I'm no lawyer-

•••
...braggadocious.

I ALWAYS wanted to see this word
used live in content somewhere..

"you'll find it on namepros, bro"....

Jupiter, 10,11

•••
if you were working for me, I'd be telling you what I know about Baltimore and Minneapolis and their association with the color purple

Given the virtually infinite number of times you claim how such an amazing business person you are and how you have multiple decades of success and experience in sales, why can't you pick up a telephone or write an email and do your outbound sales yourself?

if I knew exactly who to target today I'd be doing it

What myself and others have been trying to tell you for ages now, is that you're adding an extra barrier and as such significantly dividing your sales-probability by acquiring domains without existing end-users.

It's fine to come up with all these fantasy business plans .. but unless you invest in, and develop these businesses yourself, the domains have no home unless somebody else randomly comes up with the identical idea that you did ...
... But then even on the extremely random chance someone does .. then they also need to dream up the same domain as you .. and then they have to be savvy enough to find the domain in question .. and have a pre-start-up domain budget of a multiple that covers at least all the unsold domains in your portfolio (divided by your other sales .. if any) ...
.. Then after that your actual domain has to be good enough that there aren't any handreg (or cheaper than your BIN) alternatives.

All the later parts of what I said is why domaining is already difficult and challenging enough .. but add the first part .. and while you'll eventually hit a random sale from time to time .. the math, ratios and probabilities are just too stacked against any possibility for a long term profit in "domaining" (again, business development is an entirely different thing, and hopefully you will find investors/developers for your plans .. but that's not at all domaining)

NatsForever seems to be in reference to the Washington Nationals.
No .. it references the Montreal Expos! ;)

•••
Given the virtually infinite number of times you claim how such an amazing business person you are and how you have multiple decades of success and experience in sales, why can't you pick up a telephone or write an email and do your outbound sales yourself?

What myself and others have been trying to tell you for ages now, is that you're adding an extra barrier and as such significantly dividing your sales-probability by acquiring domains without existing end-users.

It's fine to come up with all these fantasy business plans .. but unless you invest in, and develop these businesses yourself, the domains have no home unless somebody else randomly comes up with the identical idea that you did ...
... But then even on the extremely random chance someone does .. then they also need to dream up the same domain as you .. and then they have to be savvy enough to find the domain in question .. and have a pre-start-up domain budget of a multiple that covers at least all the unsold domains in your portfolio (divided by your other sales .. if any) ...
.. Then after that your actual domain has to be good enough that there aren't any handreg (or cheaper than your BIN) alternatives.

All the later parts of what I said is why domaining is already difficult and challenging enough .. but add the first part .. and while you'll eventually hit a random sale from time to time .. the math, ratios and probabilities are just too stacked against any possibility for a long term profit in "domaining" (again, business development is an entirely different thing, and hopefully you will find investors/developers for your plans .. but that's not at all domaining)

No .. it references the Montreal Expos! ;)
Ateguy...you of such little belief and faith in my abilities:xf.frown: For you to have an ounce of credibility with your mockery of me and the "virtual infinite number of times" you attempt to discredit me, I highly recommend you GIVE UP THE GHOST!

Like I said, I needn't read beyond the first sentence or two of your rants to know I needn't read any further. It takes all kinds brother, and if it weren't for you, the domain industry would be a whole lot better off:xf.wink:....and that's just echoing your sentiments about me. Enjoy(y)

•••
I agree, not that I really do any outbound, but I would not consider cold calling personally.

If I am remembering correctly, one of the sessions at NamesCon by a really successful high value broker seemed to say the same thing - your first contact should be very brief and unobtrusive, and that is not normally a phone call. Rather a social media interaction or a short email. The phone call should only follow up after interest has been expressed. The art is to plant the idea of the potential value added in that one short first interaction.

Bob
Generally speaking we're talking about a rather complex sale, and while I haven't formulated my "outbound strategy yet, I'd like to say a few things first;

1. to the extent you're going to try and develop an "out bound" strategy, first you need to identify who the most likely "end user" might be for your domain. For example, everyone in the real estate industry already has a domain. However, many realtors have multiple domains. There are domains that I own that are suitable for "local" realtors ie. "LongCreekRealty" for a realtor who sells real estate on Long Creek where there are hundreds of waterfront homes that sell for 600K to 1.2M. Then you have a domain that's more suitable to a National Realtor like HomeSweetHomes.com or PatriotRealty.

2. I don't hear much about domainers using any sort of artificial intelligence to identify prospects. For instance there are new realtors in R/E school today who will own big agencies in 10 years. Now I know these people like to their name in print, as well they should.

3. With most "outbound" sales strategies you need to provide options like, "would you like to pay for this today, or would you prefer making payment arrangements?") You really should have 2-3 operations

4. Finally, NEVER give up...remember, "I think I can",...."I think I can"

s

•••
Generally speaking we're talking about a rather complex sale, and while I haven't formulated my "outbound strategy yet, I'd like to say a few things first;
Thanks for jotting down thoughts on your outbound strategy, Rich. It didn't even take you the two months you thought it would take! I'm glad you found some extra time.
1. to the extent you're going to try and develop an "out bound" strategy, first you need to identify who the most likely "end user" might be for your domain. For example, everyone in the real estate industry already has a domain. However, many realtors have multiple domains. There are domains that I own that are suitable for "local" realtors ie. "LongCreekRealty" for a realtor who sells real estate on Long Creek where there are hundreds of waterfront homes that sell for 600K to 1.2M. Then you have a domain that's more suitable to a National Realtor like HomeSweetHomes.com or PatriotRealty.
Interesting insights into the real estate industry here. So using your example of LongCreekRealty.com, what reason would we be able to give potential buyers to pay a premium for our name, as opposed to hand registering an alternative like LongCreekHouses.com or LongCreekProperties.com?

2. I don't hear much about domainers using any sort of artificial intelligence to identify prospects. For instance there are new realtors in R/E school today who will own big agencies in 10 years. Now I know these people like to their name in print, as well they should.
I know very little about AI myself, and I didn't know such tools existed! Would you be able to share some more info about this?

3. With most "outbound" sales strategies you need to provide options like, "would you like to pay for this today, or would you prefer making payment arrangements?") You really should have 2-3 operation
I agree, options are good. You'll see when you start listing your names that many of the marketplace sites (like Dan.com and Efty) make it quite seemless to build these options into your landing pages.

•••
ThatNameGuy said:

I know very little about AI myself, and I didn't know such tools existed! Would you be able to share some more info about this?

I offer guided time travel service at a fairly decent price. I also have crystal balls for sale. Either option should work perfect for him.

•••
I offer guided time travel service at a fairly decent price. I also have crystal balls for sale. Either option should work perfect for him.

sign me in

•••
Oh...you have crystal balls?...i have Brass Balls:xf.grin:

•••
Since I'm feeling generous... I almost forgot about makemyshave but I think I can supply you a lead on the domain...

•••
Since I'm feeling generous... I almost forgot about makemyshave but I think I can supply you a lead on the domain...
Well I haven't heard from you?, but I will pass along another idea I have for targeted "outbound" marketing. For every successful business, there are at least one or more management type's in that business who someday would like to own a business of their own. This happens all the time in the restaurant business, but it happens in real estate, retail, the trades and service businesses.

This is why I mentioned targeting graduates of all sorts of institutions, culinary schools, real estate schools, trade schools etc.

•••
Well I haven't heard from you?, but I will pass along another idea I have for targeted "outbound" marketing. For every successful business, there are at least one or more management type's in that business who someday would like to own a business of their own. This happens all the time in the restaurant business, but it happens in real estate, retail, the trades and service businesses.

This is why I mentioned targeting graduates of all sorts of institutions, culinary schools, real estate schools, trade schools etc.

I'll drop you a dm as soon as I find a moment. insanely busy atm ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back