Dynadot

discuss Outbound is tricky. Just wasted 3 hours

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I just invested 3 hours doing outbound on a couple of .net names. Or should I say, wasted it!
It is tricky! At times, it feels like I am working on something that may have no results.

There could be a better use of my time, definitely! If I don't sell a domain by tomorrow, I would do one of the two things:

1) I will never do outbound again and focus on high-value names
2) I will hire someone to do the outbound for me

Whenever I watch some interviews on DomainSherpa of people who did outbound and got great results, or open my Twitter with people selling 10 domains within 60 days of domaining, I get inspired to look at my portfolio, select a couple of names or 4-5 name and start approaching leads for those names.

That's what I did yet again. Last month, or last to last month, I invested close to 10+ hours doing outbound and ended up not selling even one domain.

This week again, I have invested 3 hours so far and approached close to 20 lead for a domain name that I wanted to sell, and thought that it could be a good value addition for them. I wouldn't disclose the domain name but the pricing was $199, which was way below the actual price of the domain name for which it could be sold.
The name is expiring soon, so the pricing was done to liquidate and also get a boost for my outbound endeavors.

However, either the effort or the strategy is lacking somewhere and I will need to figure this out.

Outbound domainers, don't share your secret sauce! But some tips would help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the difference here is that you seem to want everyone to see it, even though you claim all that matters is for you to see it.

I don't question your previous business experience, Rich. But until it translates to success with selling domains, I would avoid peddling your personal methods as an effective way to do things.
Joe and Brad...i'm having success selling domains or I can assure you I wouldn't still be here. Not only am I having success, I'm getting better every day....and to think I may be as great as you some day:xf.wink:

•••
I just invested 3 hours doing outbound on a couple of .net names. Or should I say, wasted it!
It is tricky! At times, it feels like I am working on something that may have no results.

There could be a better use of my time, definitely! If I don't sell a domain by tomorrow, I would do one of the two things:

1) I will never do outbound again and focus on high-value names
2) I will hire someone to do the outbound for me

Whenever I watch some interviews on DomainSherpa of people who did outbound and got great results, or open my Twitter with people selling 10 domains within 60 days of domaining, I get inspired to look at my portfolio, select a couple of names or 4-5 name and start approaching leads for those names.

That's what I did yet again. Last month, or last to last month, I invested close to 10+ hours doing outbound and ended up not selling even one domain.

This week again, I have invested 3 hours so far and approached close to 20 lead for a domain name that I wanted to sell, and thought that it could be a good value addition for them. I wouldn't disclose the domain name but the pricing was $199, which was way below the actual price of the domain name for which it could be sold.
The name is expiring soon, so the pricing was done to liquidate and also get a boost for my outbound endeavors.

However, either the effort or the strategy is lacking somewhere and I will need to figure this out.

Outbound domainers, don't share your secret sauce! But some tips would help!
Tip #1 Personalize your message as much as possible. I use Linkedin a lot, and may find where someone went to school, what they studied or what other positions they held.

Tip #2 In most cases I don't share a price since I'm only seeking interest

Tip #3 You never get a second chance to make a first impression so look sharp. By that I mean have the domain you're displaying look good

Tip #4 I have a program thru Linkedin where I can "direct message" someone. It's more effective than traditional email

Tip #5 If you've given it your best shot with no response, no need to follow up. That's when "end user" might get pissed

Last edited:
•••
Joe and Brad...i'm having success selling domains or I can assure you I wouldn't still be here. Not only am I having success, I'm getting better every day....and to think I may be as great as you some day:xf.wink:
I think it's fantastic that you say you're having success, Rich, but we've seen no evidence of that. And some of your advice in this thread has been contrary to the commonly held best practices of outbound selling.

When you're giving advice that goes against standard best practices, and are unwilling to provide examples of those methods being successful, the advice holds no water. It's empty words.

You say your way is better? Show us how.

•••
Very cool. Maybe @rajdomains can tell us all about it!
@Joe Nichols Thank You,
Well, the domain in question has very few end-users and If I will talk about companies then it's very hard to find, but luckily At Nameworth.com valuation, I came to know that some company is already using the same domain with prefix "The" so I have contacted them regarding the domain.

@ThatNameGuy
Thank you for your advice on contacting 10 more and I am already on my way for that.

•••
I think it's fantastic that you say you're having success, Rich, but we've seen no evidence of that. And some of your advice in this thread has been contrary to the commonly held best practices of outbound selling.

When you're giving advice that goes against standard best practices, and are unwilling to provide examples of those methods being successful, the advice holds no water. It's empty words.

You say your way is better? Show us how.
I said I'm getting better and better every day...did I say my way is better? btw, I'm not giving advice that goes against "standard best practice". Furthermore, there's no "standard best practice" for outbound marketing of domains unless it's Joe Nichols best practice:xf.rolleyes: First off, I've been domaining for over two years now and few domainers, other than brokers, do "outbound" marketing. I've told you before and I'll tell you again I've been successfully "outbound" marketing everything from lead generation, to consulting services, to investigative services, and to even domains now. I guess you and your buddy Brad just don't get it:banghead:

•••
@Joe Nichols Thank You,
Well, the domain in question has very few end-users and If I will talk about companies then it's very hard to find, but luckily At Nameworth.com valuation, I came to know that some company is already using the same domain with prefix "The" so I have contacted them regarding the domain.

@ThatNameGuy
Thank you for your advice on contacting 10 more and I am already on my way for that.
Raj....there are so many variables when it comes selling domains it's hard to say what works and what doesn't. Thomas Edison said about discovering the light bulb, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” Thanks Raj, and if you're as determined and passionate about this industry as I am, failure isn't an option:xf.wink: I'll be in touch, and thank you!

•••
I said I'm getting better and better every day...did I say my way is better? btw, I'm not giving advice that goes against "standard best practice". Furthermore, there's no "standard best practice" for outbound marketing of domains unless it's Joe Nichols best practice:xf.rolleyes: First off, I've been domaining for over two years now and few domainers, other than brokers, do "outbound" marketing. I've told you before and I'll tell you again I've been successfully "outbound" marketing everything from lead generation, to consulting services, to investigative services, and to even domains now. I guess you and your buddy Brad just don't get it:banghead:
You're advising people to register brand names (that are not in use by any company) and then attempt to market them across an entire industry. Unless you can show otherwise, that is bad advice.

Your statement about how few domainers conduct outbound is false. Scan the reported sales thread and you can see for yourself.

And best practice has nothing to do with following my path. I share what has worked for me, but I have thus far failed in other avenues of outbound, including geos and ccTLDs.

I'm all for sharing ideas, but at least be honourable enough to give new domainers the full picture when you share (i.e. "This has yet to work for me, but I think it's a good idea.").

•••
You're advising people to register brand names (that are not in use by any company) and then attempt to market them across an entire industry. Unless you can show otherwise, that is bad advice.

Your statement about how few domainers conduct outbound is false. Scan the reported sales thread and you can see for yourself.

And best practice has nothing to do with following my path. I share what has worked for me, but I have thus far failed in other avenues of outbound, including geos and ccTLDs.

I'm all for sharing ideas, but at least be honourable enough to give new domainers the full picture when you share (i.e. "This has yet to work for me, but I think it's a good idea.").
Joe Nichols said about me,"but at least be honourable" ....you don't know how I resent your low rent rhetoric. Ironically there are a lot of members here who have a different opinion than you and appreciate what I have to share. It's ONLY your opinion that what I share is "bad advice". Registering the name "Camp Wannabe", and then explaining how, and to whom I intend to market it is "Good Advice" to some, but obviously not to you. You sir are a poor excuse accusing me of not being honourable.....sad, very very sad:xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
Dirk...this will be my last response to you on this matter. So sending just 10 emails to a population of 100 "end users" isn't spam, but sending to all 100 is spam? Just for the record Dirk, I've had at least twice the outbound marketing experience as either Joe or Brad, and that certainly doesn't mean I must be better at it, but it's significant just the same. You've probably heard me say, I'm getting better and better at this game every day doing it my way. Dirk, I haven't even scraped the surface of the potential I see here. Maybe you don't see it that way, but all that matters is I do:xf.wink:

That's unfortunate. I tend to enjoy discussing things with people who don't share the same thoughts and believes.

Since you asked, I'll answer your question and leave you in peace.
So sending just 10 emails to a population of 100 "end users" isn't spam, but sending to all 100 is spam?

No. That's not what I'm saying. Let's not get into what the definition of spam is but look at it this way.

When you send outbound/marketing emails to 100 people and you get just one lead, you should ask yourself whether you are targeting the right people.

If you're targeting people with no real use for the domain, you're spamming and a poor salesman.

If you reach out to 100 people and get at least 15 leads, that means you're doing something right. Whether that's to be considered spam just as well is debatable but at least you're doing it the right way.

Bottom line, if you have a 1-2% conversion rate on outbound, you're not doing it right.

I think this is common knowledge among people in the marketing world so not really up for debate.

•••
Tip #1 Personalize your message as much as possible. I use Linkedin a lot, and may find where someone went to school, what they studied or what other positions they held.

This goes along with a saying I share with my students and colleagues. . .

"People don't care what you know until they know that you care."

It's foundational in a healing space to maximize results to create an authentic connection.

This principle can be applied in business...
adjusted slightly...

"People don't care what you have to share until they know that you care."

The opposite of depression?

Connection.

People are yearning for authentic connection right now.

•••
Joe Nichols said about me,"but at least be honourable" ....you don't know how I resent your low rent rhetoric. Ironically there are a lot of members here who have a different opinion than you and appreciate what I have to share. It's ONLY your opinion that what I share is "bad advice". Registering the name "Camp Wannabe", and then explaining how, and to whom I intend to market it is "Good Advice" to some, but obviously not to you. You sir are a poor excuse accusing me of not being honourable.....sad, very very sad:xf.frown:
And yet for all your show of being horribly offended, you still can't show us how you have had any amount of success with selling this type of name via outbound marketing.

•••
This goes along with a saying I share with my students and colleagues. . .

"People don't care what you know until they know that you care."

It's foundational in a healing space to maximize results to create an authentic connection.

This principle can be applied in business...
adjusted slightly...

"People don't care what you have to share until they know that you care."

The opposite of depression?

Connection.

People are yearning for authentic connection right now.
This sort of thing is impossible when you have people like Don Lemon of CNN calling me a racist when he doesn't even know me:xf.frown:

•••
This sort of thing is impossible when you have people like Don Lemon of CNN calling me a racist when he doesn't even know me:xf.frown:

I don't give CNN my focus or energy and have rejected to be interviewed by them.

They exploited my high school for massive ratings in 1999.

Last edited:
•••
I sell "average" 5 domains with Outbound which usually sum up to high $xxx or low $xxxx
And this is average, some months maybe be up to 10-12 , some just 2.

I only outbound for geo .com. i think OP got it wrong outbounding for .net

•••
Outbound usually brings $200-$300 with a reg fee or $10-$30 domain (exceptions apply, as I sold many reg fee and bargain paid domains for $x,xxx with outbound technique). If 3 hours would be enough for a proper outbound in that case outbounders would easily be making at least $500 net a day (or at least $10,000 a month), with their legs on the table.

I am experienced and still usually need cca 6 hours of effective work for 1 successful outbound sale.

In just 3 hours you cant isolate all prospective buyers (quality ones), extract their correct contacts and send personalized e-mail to each of them. However, I like to have a lot of potential buyers, not just 10-15, and talking from my perspective.

•••
outbound is tough. but, if done consistently may yield some additional revenue.

•••
Outbound works.
Just get the right formula for the domain name you want to pitch to an enduser.

•••
I have had good experiences with old accounts and often get reactions, just make sure you approach the right people and that the name really suits them. I once sold 3 .nl names within a few days after i registerd them. This was a company that specialized in something and placed it under a general domain name. They just hadn't registered the names they specialized in. this was mentioned on the site so i registered them. They were very grateful that I had approached them and wanted to sell them to them and not to a competitor. They had never even thought about registering it.

Last edited:
•••
Outbounding is a tough game .
If you get 1% success rate you are a hero
so to get one sale you need to spend 8 hours basically, assuming you're not automating
You need to track your emails, open rate etc
It's not easy , it helps if you have a background in email marketing.
Just remember people want to buy but they don't want to be sold and they hate spam

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back