Dynadot

New gTLDs renewal numbers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How Many gTLDs Are You Planning to Renew?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 100%

votes
    20.0%
  • 80-90%

votes
    16.0%
  • 60-70%

votes
    12.0%
  • 50%

vote
    4.0%
  • 30-40%

votes
    0.0%
  • 10-20%

votes
    16.0%
  • None

votes
    8.0%
  • I dont own any gTLDs

votes
    24.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

OTF

Established Member
Impact
As the time is here to renew many of the generic domains, I was just wondering if there are any official numbers available.

While, I'm not planning to renew 100% of my gTLDs I will or already have renewed most of them and will let go just a few.

How about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is way too broad a question to ask. Most of us only have gTLDs, thus an "official number" is kinda pointless to inquire about

•••
But if you post your list, surely ppl will help you decide upon the keepers

•••
•••
But if you post your list, surely ppl will help you decide upon the keepers

Well, it was not really about my domains as I usually pick those that I can also develop. It was more about some official renewal numbers for the generic domains. Or just to see what others are doing as I can imagine some "domainers" perhaps overvalued the demand for new gTLDs.

Disclosure: I have received offers ranging $100 - $1500 but so far declined them all. But again, most of those have some development value for me so I'm not eager to sell unless the price is right.

•••
Always nice to see a SMART new member on NP

Typically, gTLDs are exceptional. ccTLDs, mTLDs, and most of the shitty/vanity TLDs are dropped within 2 years of registration. gTLDs are held on to, typically for a long time.

Well, it was not really about my domains as I usually pick those that I can also develop. It was more about some official renewal numbers for the generic domains. Or just to see what others are doing as I can imagine some "domainers" perhaps overvalued the demand for new gTLDs.

Disclosure: I have received offers ranging $100 - $1500 but so far declined them all. But again, most of those have some development value for me so I'm not eager to sell unless the price is right.

•••
Always nice to see a SMART new member on NP

Typically, gTLDs are exceptional. ccTLDs, mTLDs, and most of the shitty/vanity TLDs are dropped within 2 years of registration. gTLDs are held on to, typically for a long time.

Always nice to get a valuable response from a long time EXPERT so thank you!

Seriously, not sure why the hostility and sarcasm. I bought my first domain in the 90s and since them invested and paid 5 figures for many .com domains. Many of those were weekly top sellers on SEDO and yet I got my money worth.

Thanks again for your knowledgeable input! Much appreciated!

•••
As the time is here to renew many of the generic domains, I was just wondering if there are any official numbers available.

Official numbers should start coming shortly. Forgot whether it was January/February last year for the first new gtlds. I did download the numbers on Jan 5th this year, so I can check them later/next year. See what kind of drop each one experiences.

Anybody have any idea the date of the first drops?

•••
2nd Feb 2014

Total domains registered

Clothing 614
Guru 94
Singles 6
Ventures 5
Plumbing 3
Bike 3
Holdings 2

Guru grew the fastest

Total Guru Domains

03/02/14 365
05/02/14 12,388
07/02/14 14,889
09/02/14 22,298
11/02/14 25,393 (1 Year ago)

•••
DomainIncite.com has just published an article on renewals for the non ASCII TLD شبكة (arabic for .web) which is showing an initial 55% renewal rate

http://domainincite.com/18004-renewals-at-55-as-first-new-gtld-junk-drop-begins(DomainIncite.com)

On ASCII TLDs
Donuts’ first batch of gTLDs — .guru, .bike, .holdings, .plumbing, .singles, .ventures and .clothing — had their base-price GA anniversary on February 4, and it appears that domains have already started to drop.

There’s little indication of anything amiss in the .guru zone file so far but the other six are down slightly — by maybe 100 or so names apiece, or less than 1% each — over the last two weeks.

•••
Anything from the original batch that's not .guru is a sinking ship. But I still greatly prefer .pro to .guru because .pro is the one with a greater impression and meaning.

•••
I only have one new gTLD which I have absolutely no intention of dropping. It's really too early to dismiss the less popular yet as many businesses and firms just don't know about them and it's going to take a while for the knowledge to filter through. True, there are certain extensions which will appeal to businesses more than others, where as some will just be viewed as novelties & hacks which hold little commercial value.

Long story short, it's early days yet and I don't object to testing out the waters and holding the domains for a while to see if they gain value.

•••
Drops starting to happen, some big ones have less regs now than Jan 5th (date I downloaded the numbers), like .guru, .berlin, smaller ones like .ventures, .equipment, .holdings. .estate etc. The year is young.

http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Anything from the original batch that's not .guru is a sinking ship. But I still greatly prefer .pro to .guru because .pro is the one with a greater impression and meaning.

That might be considered a sinking ship as well, if you're talking about reg numbers. From a high of around 140,000 to 113,000 a few months ago back in November, to 108,930 today. History:
http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDHistoryChart.aspx?TLDName=PRO

Last edited:
•••
I plan to drop some, but renew some of them as well. I sold one .bid for $999, so that's enough for me to hold on to some of the gtld's I have for now. I have less than 30 total.

•••
Drops starting to happen, some big ones have less regs now than Jan 5th (date I downloaded the numbers), like .guru, .berlin, smaller ones like .ventures, .equipment, .holdings. .estate etc. The year is young.

http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

That might be considered a sinking ship as well, if you're talking about reg numbers. From a high of around 140,000 to 113,000 a few months ago back in November, to 108,930 today. History:
http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDHistoryChart.aspx?TLDName=PRO

That's true. But I believe it was just an adjustment in the market. As you can see.. for the last two months .pro has been growing again. If more registrars pick up .pro in the future, then I foresee .pro could grow a lot. Because again, it's a much better extension than many of the new ones. :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
.guru was a crappy one anyways. I much prefer .pro :) shorter and makes more sense for professional and people wanting to be professional

•••
A baby has to crawl before it can walk, will fall back down several times during the process. And then eventually they can run. Same applies with the new gTLD's.

•••
A baby has to crawl before it can walk, will fall back down several times during the process. And then eventually they can run. Same applies with the new gTLD's.

These aren't babies tho and the previous new extensions didn't fall down in their first year. They popped out, jumped up and starting running. Some are now starting to go backwards because of all these new ones. These all came out with low numbers. Will have to see next year and compare the numbers but if they're going backwards already, forget it.

I think .me an .co are still going up last time I saw stats on them. With .me, that's after 7 years or so.

Will be interesting to watch, going to start checking http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx everyday and look for the red. Also wondering what .xyx is going to do. Either all those freebie domains will get renewed again for free or there will be a big drop.

Last edited:
•••
I think there will be a massive drop for .xyz, but .xyz should still remain the #1 ngtld for at least a year.

•••
I think there will be a massive drop for .xyz, but .xyz should still remain the #1 ngtld for at least a year.

Yep, unless .web ever comes out. Then .xyz would get a butt whuppin.

•••
Yep, unless .web ever comes out. Then .xyz would get a butt whuppin.

haha precisely.. I was basing that 1 year estimate on .web

•••
•••
You like .web:?:

No, I don't like any of the new ones. But I know it's the top one watched, kind of like a .net jr. It's neutral, so anything can go with it, unlike most of these new ones where they're very specific. If and when it comes out, it'll be the #1 new gtld, easily*

*providing they have decent registration costs

•••
The mistake is in taking all of these new gTLDs as a single gTLD. They had different launch timelines and many of them were not exactly attractive for Domainers. Some of them may not have high renewal rates (.xyz) whereas others will probably be surprisingly sticky. The .xyz gTLD is actually closer to being a .tk equivalent with a lot of free registrations and a core of paid registrations.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back