IT.COM

discuss How many new gTLDs you renewed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many new gTLDs you renewed?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • None

votes
    18.5%
  • less than 20%

votes
    11.1%
  • 20-50%

votes
    18.5%
  • 50-75%

votes
    22.2%
  • All

votes
    29.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Its time for me to renew many of my ngtld name. But so far I have renewed only 20% of names (which i feel good) and planning to drop all others.

It was really painful when I dropped some of the premium names for which I paid $XXX but received no offers and renewal price also $XXX.

Share your experience.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I generally keep all domains that have a few type-ins per month. 1 year is the minimum time you have to keep a name to use the 15% long term capital gains tax. I sold a new gTLD name for low 5 figures (cannot disclose the name) about 1.5 years after registration.

•••
I plan to renew 40% or less and drop the rest. I can't afford to risk more. I will be holding only the best names.

Let us put pressure on the TLD owners/ registries to drop the price

Last edited:
•••
.realtor lost more than 20,000 domains in a day due to non renewal, owner could have been just one guy.

•••
.realtor lost more than 20,000 domains in a day due to non renewal, owner could have been just one guy.
Just checked again, apparently .realtors are exclusive to realtors, brokerages, etc etc.

•••
I have around 30, started with 45ish. The majority are sensible single words. No xyz, ooo, etc, more services, consulting, company, business, etc.

If you don't plan on holding onto gtlds long term then don't register them! Rome wasn't built overnight! :D

•••
I have around 30, started with 45ish. The majority are sensible single words. No xyz, ooo, etc, more services, consulting, company, business, etc.

If you don't plan on holding onto gtlds long term then don't register them! Rome wasn't built overnight! :D

When you have only 30 or 45 , you can say "Rome wasn't built overnight" and hold it long term.

•••
When you have only 30 or 45 , you can say "Rome wasn't built overnight" and hold it long term.

What's the alternative? Reg hundreds and drop 80% short term? A billion users aren't going to stop typing .com over night. I'm not looking to buy n sell during mini gtld bubbles "which is a valid strategy", but rather invest in emerging industries I'm familiar with and see how things unfold.

Investing in nGtlds is high risk compared to investing in .com aftermarket.

•••
What's the alternative? Reg hundreds and drop 80% short term? A billion users aren't going to stop typing .com over night. I'm not looking to buy n sell during mini gtld bubbles "which is a valid strategy", but rather invest in emerging industries I'm familiar with and see how things unfold.

Investing in nGtlds is high risk compared to investing in .com aftermarket.

The point is your statement "Rome wasn't built overnight and hold it long term" does not suit everyone's portfolio.

•••
I'll renew all my gtlds... Why Not ?
When I registered them, I knew that I wasn't gonna sell them within a year. I might get lucky and sell 1 or 2 in 2016, but the majority will be renewed several times by me. (gtlds are investments that will take time... Go catch a .com if you want to make a quick flip)
When you drop 50% of your registered gtlds this year, you probably didn't have a very solid investment plan to begin with.

I'm just as excited about my gtlds today as I was when registering them last year.

•••
The point is your statement "Rome wasn't built overnight and hold it long term" does not suit everyone's portfolio.

If someone can sell their gtld's right away, all the power to them. I know some have done very well. If a person is thinking of a quick flip when registering, the odds are against them imo.

•••
If you look at domain industry, most of the names are bought by domainers not by end users.
Domainers won't buy a ngtld name if its not really cheap bcos they have 100 alternative extensions.

You need to really wait for an end user to come your way. Till then need to renew your ngtld every year by paying premium price.

•••
Hello,

I've renewed about 70% of mine.

I bought some crap on the way, but I am rather pleased with my 2015 sales, so I'll not complain.

Nowadays I am much more selective on what I buy. If the domain is only good, but not "great", I will only take it if the renewals are really low.

I find great dropped new gTLDs on a daily basis, but as 95% of them have premium renewals, I just leave them. I am fishing for the very few good or great ones with reasonable renewal fees.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back