IT.COM

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Font seems too big viewing the site on a desktop browser, but adjusting zoom level to 80% site looks a little more like its old self.
On my 23" desktop in Chromium 1920x1080 fonts are not big, I even set 110% zoom to keep my eyes healthy...

Last edited:
•••
@Paul
Please fix Alerts for Likes/Thanks/Agree... Nothing works since yesterday, just silence.
I'm not talking about these Push popups (which are blocked in my browser's settings), the mentioned alerts don't appear at all in the Alerts feed.

•••
Please remove these misleading threadstarter posts on top, many threads we use even over a decade...
I don't want to see not actual posts of 2008, for example...
Somebodies even quote and reply to these outdated posts...

Last edited:
•••
Looking good. I liked the design.

•••
Click Width button in the footer.
But as for me, in this mode it look worse in terms of readability.
It's quite uncomfortable at full width, at least on this monitor. I did however zoom in to 125%, good enough now..

Last edited:
•••
So now we have 2 systems to appraise posts???
I also see

2021-11-03-131457_115x45_scrot.png

Really complicated design, for geeks...

•••
Guys, don't change the tex color format in certain coolors if it's not really necessary, when you use the website in dark theme you are not able to see dark gray tone tex colors, quite invisible, if you stay with the standart format "black" automatically turns to "white" in the dark theme but other colors stay same.

here is an example...
Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 8.02.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 8.02.43 PM.png

Last edited:
•••
Great, so now we need to hover on the icon to get the bar slide, and then move the mouse again to give a "Like" or "Thanks".

So you have to do two operations to accomplish what was previously done in just one click.

•••
Can you add the pagination to the top on mobile version.
Desktop:
1635944088618.png

Mobile
1635944157885.png

•••
We cannot see the names of those that likes or dislikes one post again.

•••
•••
Looking good. I liked the design.
Nothing special in this design.
Just another design, more slower and more complicated in terms of usability.

•••
wow. this new layout and design is horrible.
sorry.....
I changed to dark mode and thats a massive improvement.....

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
The coders aren't dead; they released a new version that fixes a lot of the behind-the-scenes issues in the old version. It's still not perfect, but at least we'll be able to keep up with security while simultaneously addressing many of the concerns that have been raised over the years that we were unable to fix in the old software.
So basically the original coders went ape and raped their own software design? That's actually worse to know.

It should be the same number of clicks: one. If it isn't, that may be a bug.

Yes it's one click, old one used to be zero

That's an interesting point. The percentage is calculated the same way before, but it does take an additional click to see the full breakdown. I believe the percentage is rounded to the nearest integer, so in your scenario, it would display 100%.

So that should mean for every 996 positive sales, a user gets to scam in 4 sales without consequences.

I think better get back the old score board then, or something similar to that. Better not give users unnecessary scammy privileges. Being vigilant is one thing, having to click every time just to check if there's a negative review is really time-consuming.

Guys, don't change the tex color format in certain coolors if it's not really necessary, when you use the website in dark theme you are not able to see dark gray tone tex colors, quite invisible, if you stay with the standart format "black" automatically turns to "white" in the dark theme but other colors stay same.

here is an example...
Show attachment 203391Show attachment 203390

Quoted for example: Red color font is now harder to see on dark mode. Sigs that utilize colors to grab attention are now made harder to read. If color is used to cater dark mode, it'll be unreadable in light mode & vice versa. More damage to the worth of paid accounts.

Suggest to open poll to determine how many members want dark mode vs light mode and make it permanent once poll ends.

Another thing: ITALIC font is now so bad that many times it looks like it's joining with the next word as you can see in this sentence. This new default font is awful.

Font seems too big viewing the site on a desktop browser, but adjusting zoom level to 80% site looks a little more like its old self.

Wouldn't this make sigs smaller? More damage to sig value.

So now we have 2 systems to appraise posts???
I also see

Show attachment 203386

Really complicated design, for geeks...

LOL I just upvoted your post 3x. Thanks & Agrees however doesn't add value, however I can thank/like+agree and still burn people with downvotes 3x until it's -1, and I can dislike+disagree and still upvote 4x until it's +3. There's also "Automatic/manual mode" which is looks so ridiculously ridiculous :)🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

More to add: In posts: 2x buttons for "more options", which makes it more unnecessarily confusing. Emojis now take longer to load. I now see too many emojis that most of us won't use anyway, except 'facepalming' emojis. :)🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

•••
Also after migration some Likes/Thanks/Agree disappeared at all, I must have above 11K as of now or up to 1XX more (including the disappeared)...
OR somebodies already started to decrease this stats by hitting the downarrow button many times...

Last edited:
•••
So basically the original coders went ape and raped their own software design? That's actually worse to know.
This time, rather than using the default theme, we made our own. Developers who spent about a year on it are reading this thread. You're welcome to criticize it, but you need to do so in a professional manner. I did repeatedly warn the developers that they would receive a lot of harsh words no matter what they did, but I didn't expect anyone to go so far as to say they "raped" the design.

Yes it's one click, old one used to be zero
Only on devices which lacked a touchscreen, which posed a problem given that many laptops these days have touchscreens. For those of us with multiple devices, it was a serious consistency issue: the method for viewing your alerts varied depending on which device you were using, and buying a new laptop meant that the method might change. We received complaints about it. We've now made it consistent across devices: one click, or zero if you enable push notifications.

Suggest to open poll to determine how many members want dark mode vs light mode and make it permanent once poll ends.
No, we will not be forcing one or the other. In addition to being a matter of personal preference, for some people it's an accessibility issue. For example, as I've gotten older, I've found it increasingly difficult to read dark-on-light text for extended periods of time; for other people it's the opposite. All mainstream operating systems now allow users to choose between dark and light themes, and NamePros has joined them. What we will likely do in the future is enforce a minimum contrast and adjust the color of text if it doesn't meet that threshold.

That being said, your example red text looks quite eye-catching to me on the dark theme--more so than on the light theme. It's probably just a difference between our monitors.

Another thing: ITALIC font is now so bad that many times it looks like it's joining with the next word as you can see in this sentence. This new default font is awful.
With the old style, the font face you saw depended on the device and browser you were using, which wasn't ideal. That being said, on my current device, the kerning at the boundaries between italic and non-italic text is slightly worse with the new font face:
1635952516649.png

Top is with the new theme, bottom is with the old theme.

Wouldn't this make sigs smaller? More damage to sig value.
If someone chooses to zoom out on their device, that's their prerogative, and they were able to do that on the old theme.

Thanks & Agrees however doesn't add value, however I can thank/like+agree and still burn people with downvotes 3x until it's -1, and I can dislike+disagree and still upvote 4x until it's +3.
That's manual mode. Established members now have a lot more control over the points they assign to any given piece of content. However, if you don't wish to use it, you don't have to; you can continue to use automatic mode, which behaves mostly the same way it always has.

Also after migration some Likes/Thanks/Agree disappeared at all, I must have above 11K as of now or up to 1XX more (including the disappeared)...
OR somebodies already started to decrease this stats by hitting the downarrow button many times...
That's likely just a consequence of how we're calculating impact. It's not a 1:1 match with the old algorithm.

Last edited:
•••
@Paul
Please remove these UP/DOWNarrow buttons, where you can give/deduct as many points you want.
Or as outcome: we will get the absolutely fake stats.

•••
We'll likely enforce a minimum contrast in the near future.

@Paul
Please remove these UP/DOWNarrow buttons, where you can give/deduct as many points you want.
Or as outcome: we will get the absolutely fake stats.
It doesn't allow you to vote as many times you want. The more established you are, the more you're able to vote.

Last edited:
•••
Please fix Alerts for Likes/Thanks/Agree... Nothing works since yesterday, just silence.

I'm not talking about these Push popups (which are blocked in my browser's settings), the mentioned alerts don't appear at all in the Alerts feed.
I get only Quoted/Watched alerts in my feed, only them.

@Paul

•••
It’s all about time and adjustment… Compare with yesterday i like the new theme more now… Especially the chat thread. In old version sometimes i would ask a question and suddenly gonna get phone call, flow into my daily life than later would remember my question and recheck the chat and see that already flowed away, maybe somebody answered it and i wouldn’t see because of lack of mentioning or getting notifications. This version more healthy for communication IMO and ofcourse respect who like the old chat. You guys shared amazing moments and all were in that chat box…

•••
I get only Quoted/Watched alerts in my feed, only them.

@Paul

We don't send alerts for quick replies at the moment, though that may change in the future. The whole quick reply/vote system is designed to be easy to tweak, so we'll adjust it based on feedback.

•••
Great, so now we need to hover on the icon to get the bar slide, and then move the mouse again to give a "Like" or "Thanks".
If someone has already liked or thanked a post, then you can simply press the button without needing to hover or move the mouse twice.

The next version (coming soon) doesn’t require hovering to Thank or Like, even if no one has quick replied to the post yet. 😎👍

•••
I like the new design especially the Dark Theme

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back